SiouxSports.com Forum

Time for the Fire Hakstol thread

Goon

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember when the WCHA points title was considered a meaningful goal...pretty old fashioned I know.

I remember that. I always admired looking at the MacNaughton Cup in its case in the main entrance area of the REA after the 2003-2004 team won it. Feels like a distant memory now.

I think that goal has been replaced by the "dig yourself a big hole and try to get out of it" goal.

But he didn't make it to the Frozen Four everytime either.

Very true, but what were the results with Hakstol leading the team to the frozen four every year? Any banners to hang?

It sure was great and a treat to watch those teams go on to play in frozen four but we've gotten nothing out of them. Unless you wanna call a very sad loss to Denver and being BC's whipping boy for the past 3 years something to be ecstatic about.

I'm not saying to fire Hakstol. He's only been here 4(coming on 5) seasons. I'm just griping. :sad:

Very true, but what were the results with Hakstol leading the team to the frozen four every year? Any banners to hang?

It sure was great and a treat to watch those teams go on to play in frozen four but we've gotten nothing out of them. Unless you wanna call a very sad loss to Denver and being BC's whipping boy for the past 3 years something to be ecstatic about.

I'm not saying to fire Hakstol. He's only been here 4(coming on 5) seasons. I'm just griping. :sad:

We had a Final Five banner in 2006.

That's right and this year, there is a banner at one end of REA showing all of our league playoff titles and another one showing all our Frozen Four appearances. We have hung two banners total during Hak's regime (2004 for the MacNaughton Cup and 2006 for the Final Five title). With the talent we have had in this program, we should have more than that.

Yeah I was gonna add "Only a Broadmoor Trophy to show out of it all" after the 'ecstatic about' sentence. But I was hoping everyone would safely assume I meant just National Champion banners. ???

I knew I'd probably get corrected but I get lazy sometimes. :sad:

That's right and this year, there is a banner at one end of REA showing all of our league playoff titles and another one showing all our Frozen Four appearances. We have hung two banners total during Hak's regime (2004 for the MacNaughton Cup and 2006 for the Final Five title). With the talent we have had in this program, we should have more than that.

Just to note, the 2004 MacNaughton Cup was achieved under Blais in his last season as head coach. But your right. It was hung during Hak's regime ???

Maybe Hak should bring in a player in midseason.

Who? Then the kid uses up a year of elibility playing for half of year. I would recommend it unless he isn't going to be a four year player and this player to be named later would have to really be good to take someone here out of the line up.

You are right, what was I thinking? We have just one championship during Hak's reign. Not the standards we are used to around here.

I'll sign the fire Hak petition....where do I sign? We need a coach that can motivate players in the big games. All I see with Hak is another Doug Woog. Yikes.

In previous years, it was baffling why the Sioux didn't play better with the talent they had. Maybe it was partly due to coaching, maybe not. This year's team might also suffer from coaching, the system they play, etc., but the biggest culprit this year is simply lack of talent. We fans, myself included, really should have seen it coming, too. The upperclassman on this team have talent enough to compete in games, just not enough to compete for a league or national championship. Every single player still on this roster was made better by players like Oshie, Chorney, and Toews. That's not to say they are without talent of their own, but it's impossible to argue their own talent wasn't amplified by their world class teammates. For Duncan, that amplification was enough to turn a very good player into the best in college hockey. Guys like Kozek and VV probably had unrealistic expectations coming into this season because we thought they were better than they are. Guys like, Watkins, Miller and Zajac have never been great college hockey players, so we shouldn't have expected them to carry this team. Now that they are the upperclassmen and expected to raise the level of play of their teammates, they simply aren't talented enough to do so. There is not a single player on this Sioux team that the opponent has to account for at all times. Nobody can draw 2-3 defenders and either make the play themselves or set their teammates up to do so on a consistent basis. Nobody can skate out to center ice, nab the puck away from the opponent, and bury it on the other end. Want proof, just watch our powerplay, a situation in which you put your best skaters on the ice and punish the other team for their mistake. Our 5 guys just pass the puck around, each waiting for the other to make a play, while our opponent fearlessly sticks 4 guys in front of the net and dares UND to do so. What's our PP % this year?

The good news: Our underclassmen look impressive, at least offensively. Hakstol's main concern has to be on D. If the young guys take the next step that the upperclassmen never have and Eidsness makes all the saves he has been while giving up less rebounds, it might not even matter if our defensemen are less than championship caliber.

While Goon started this thread as humor, it obviously has brought out a lot of serious Hakstol bashing.

I don't disagree with some of what is being said and I understand where it's coming from. But... I don't think we have reached the point of firing Hakstol (I know... not everyone is saying it or if they are, really want/expect it).

Spartan fans were calling for Comley's head then he coaches them to a National Championship. Now look at them...

Of course, we shouldn't hold up the Sioux to MSU or even other teams as examples to follow or how we should expect the Fighting Sioux program to be.

We ALL expect EXCELLENCE in the UND program and anything less seems to be a failure. But every team will experience failure at some point or other. Seems the Sioux are experiencing it now. It might be too late to turn it around for this season but Hakstol is my coach. It's got to get much worse before I call for his head.

And that is my 1.5 cents worth... Thanks for listening.

When Hack was quoted "We're close", I didn't think he meant "close" to utter collapse. We need a coach that can do a better job recruiting and motivate the players to get their best effort in big games. Hakstol hasn't done that since he was hired. Some replies have indicated that he's likened to Doug Woog. Hardly, although Woog never won a title, he won the WCHA several times during his tenure.