SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference realignment?

dakotadan

http://blogs.denverpost.com/sports/2008/11...ce-realignment/

I have no idea what this guys blog is like or how reliable it is. I'm just throwing this out there for discussion. I would love to see UNO in the WCHA. Not Bemidji though.

And just to throw this out there, how does Syracuse's rumored men's hockey team play into this? Their women's program seems to be doing quite well in the coaching and recruiting they have set up for their program. Are the conference commissioners talking to Syracuse to see how they figure into the future of men's college hockey?

He is the beat writer for the DU pioneers and is probably talking to the WCHA league office.

I have no idea what this guys blog is like or how reliable it is. I'm just throwing this out there for discussion. I would love to see UNO in the WCHA. Not Bemidji though.

And just to throw this out there, how does Syracuse's rumored men's hockey team play into this? Their women's program seems to be doing quite well in the coaching and recruiting they have set up for their program. Are the conference commissioners talking to Syracuse to see how they figure into the future of men's college hockey?

I am guessing there would be pressure on Hockey East to accept Syracuse.

I don't know. Can you imagine telling your team to get psyched up for a conference matchup with UAH if you are a team like Michigan? I think it would be tough. It's like telling UND that we have to take a team like Manitoba seriously. :(

Ten years ago, the thought of Nebraska-Omaha wasn't exactly thrilling either. (and now, the thought of Ferris St or Lake Superior St isn't either).

Ten years ago, the thought of Nebraska-Omaha wasn't exactly thrilling either. (and now, the thought of Ferris St or Lake Superior St isn't either).

That could be a nice Road trip from Grand Forks for hockey. I have seen pictures of their arena and it is pretty nice.

I can see the positives of having UNO in the league. You could have an NCC hockey tourney like the Minnesota Show Case.

Mankato, SCSU, UND, UNO (UMD)... There are a lot of possibilites. Maybe UND could get invited to the Maverick (I can't remember the name of the tourney) Show Down.

The unbalaced schedule it going to be a negative.

Unless they changed scheduling from a weekend series to travel partner system, so Friday and Saturdays have different opponents. (DU/CC, UND/Bemidji, UM/UW, UMD/MTU, SCSU/MSU-M). If UAA could get a travel partner (UAF or UBC), it could work. But either way, a lot of history changes.

Unless they changed scheduling from a weekend series to travel partner system, so Friday and Saturdays have different opponents. (DU/CC, UND/Bemidji, UM/UW, UMD/MTU, SCSU/MSU-M). If UAA could get a travel partner (UAF or UBC), it could work. But either way, a lot of history changes.

Just remember Michigan, Michigan State and Notre Dame used to be part of the WCHA. There has always been teams moving in/out of the league.

The only thing that would "kill" the conference would be the defection of UMTC and Wisco to a Big Ten hockey conf.

That could be a nice Road trip from Grand Forks for hockey. I have seen pictures of their arena and it is pretty nice.

I can see the positives of having UNO in the league. You could have an NCC hockey tourney like the Minnesota Show Case.

Mankato, SCSU, UND, UNO (UMD)... There are a lot of possibilites. Maybe UND could get invited to the Maverick (I can't remember the name of the tourney) Show Down.

1. A UND v UNO series is my dream, but of course I am biased.

2. Their arena is very nice, but it is Creighton's "house"-- and the hockey games are almost always less than 1/2 capacity -- some more big names and formal NCC rivals might energize or expand the fan base down here.

3. Mutual of Omaha Stampede

4. UNO makes sense in the WCHA because it is no further for the majority of the upper midwest teams to travel to the rockies (and UNO already has to fly to fairbanks, ak) -- so travel isnt so much of an issue.

5. If nothing else, how about a WCHA final five in Omaha??? Change of venue, for once.

agreed, but the qwest center is a great facility and i'd take UNO many times over UAH, Wayne State (no problem now but before they folded...)..

Really, the culprit behind this is Findlay. We should blame them for this whole thing.

agreed, but the qwest center is a great facility and i'd take UNO many times over UAH, Wayne State (no problem now but before they folded...)..

Really, the culprit behind this is Findlay. We should blame them for this whole thing.

You're right they were the first CHA team to fold and Wayne State went as well.

There was a rumor that someone wanted to buy Wayne State a new arena but it never happened.

NDSU and U-Mary (Bismarck) should add college hockey. I know those schools wouldn't want to go in the CHA, but I am sure something could be figured out. Besides, NDSU would have a non-conference with UND every year. U-Mary is the type of private school that could embrace hockey. Maybe long term, MSU-M switches with NDSU, (NDSU to WCHA and MSU-M to the CHA). Just some thoughts.

NDSU and U-Mary (Bismarck) should add college hockey. I know those schools wouldn't want to go in the CHA, but I am sure something could be figured out. Besides, NDSU would have a non-conference with UND every year. U-Mary is the type of private school that could embrace hockey. Maybe long term, MSU-M switches with NDSU, (NDSU to WCHA and MSU-M to the CHA). Just some thoughts.

Ummm... if this far fetched idea were to take place, it would be best to pursue Concordia College in Moorhead to do the move. They already have an established DII team, are cross town rival potentials, and are natural travel partners.

I also think ConCollege would be competitive sooner than UMary

And why exactly is that?

I'm a Sioux fan first, Bemidji fan second. However, I do think BSU would/will be a good fit in the WCHA. It's two hours to Grand Forks, 2.5 to St Cloud and Duluth, four hours to Mpls and five to Mankato and six or so to Madison/Houghton. Not too bad traveling. I think the short travel will also create good regional rivalries as well. BSU has built a solid program, considering the lack of solid conference and arena which brought/brings uncertainty for recruiting. Now, at least, the arena is settled and we'll see what happens conference-wise.

More teams means even fewer times the SIOUX would play their hated rivals during the year.I say no to that proposal.

That's fine, but they aren't going to ask you (or me).

Yes, the WCHA has had many changes already. Michigan, Northern Michigan, Notre Dame - all former WCHA members.

As to common sense for the WCHA, adding Bemidji with their new arena is going to happen I think. Now you need another team to keep the league balanced. Choices other than UNO are Air Force or Fairbanks. Given those, I would prefer UNO, but, again, I will get no say.

As was said before, the only real negative would be Minnesota and Wisconsin leaving for a Big Ten League, but I don't see that happening, unless Notre Dame were to join the Big Ten for all sports. Then it becomes more plausable.

No way I want to see any more teams added to the WCHA. It is already too large.

The problems I see:

1. Reducing the number of conferences is NOT the way to expand college hockey.

2. We already have an unbalanced scheduled, let's not make it worse. I do not want to trade games with Minn, Wisc, and Denver so we can play conference games with Bemidji and UNO.

3. I believe adding the CHA teams to existing conferences would greatly increase the chance of a Big 10 hockey conference.

An 8 team league is ideal, home and home series with each team, total of 28 games. They should never have expanded to 10 teams.

No way I want to see any more teams added to the WCHA. It is already too large.

The problems I see:

1. Reducing the number of conferences is NOT the way to expand college hockey.

2. We already have an unbalanced scheduled, let's not make it worse. I do not want to trade games with Minn, Wisc, and Denver so we can play conference games with Bemidji and UNO.

3. I believe adding the CHA teams to existing conferences would greatly increase the chance of a Big 10 hockey conference.

An 8 team league is ideal, home and home series with each team, total of 28 games. They should never have expanded to 10 teams.

Hockey East, Atlantic Hockey and WCHA all have ten now. ECAC and CCHA already have 12. No D-I Men's Conference has 8 currently. Twelve is not a bad number.

We already play Bemidji, adding them to the conference schedule frees up two games in non-conference that we can play anyone we want who wants to play us too. Could add a Hockey East series or a competitive CCHA series. What's bad about that? I'd rather play Bemidji in conference that out of conference, which we have promised to do, so that won't change unless they come on board.

That's fine, but they aren't going to ask you (or me).

Yes, the WCHA has had many changes already. Michigan, Northern Michigan, Notre Dame - all former WCHA members.

As to common sense for the WCHA, adding Bemidji with their new arena is going to happen I think. Now you need another team to keep the league balanced. Choices other than UNO are Air Force or Fairbanks. Given those, I would prefer UNO, but, again, I will get no say.

As was said before, the only real negative would be Minnesota and Wisconsin leaving for a Big Ten League, but I don't see that happening, unless Notre Dame were to join the Big Ten for all sports. Then it becomes more plausable.

I know they aren't asking me I am giving my opinion that's what we do here.I say bring in Bemidji St. and send Alaska Anchorage packing.

I detest the unbalanced schedule as it is. I'd rather see the Sioux play two series, each season with Wisco and Minnesota, rather than the current setup with SCCC as our "natural opponent". Bringing in Bemidji or whomever only screws it up even more. Moreover, given how the Wisco-Minnesota-UND games are almost always sold out in the biggest barns in the league, you would think the clueless leadership in the WCHA would see these rivalries as a perennial cash machine.