SiouxSports.com Forum

The Ralph's cherry is broken!

BTK

My recollection was that it was real and that it was Jim Adelson in the tv booth. And, he got very POed.

Anyone on here old enough to remember back in the late 70s, early 80s when someone hid a stuffed animal badger in the ceiling and had a fish line attached to it just waiting for the right moment to pull the string. Badgers were ahead most of the game but about the middle of the third Sioux went ahead and the string got pulled. The stuffed toy was lined up perfectly in front of the camera angle from the press box and they had to scramble to get somone up in the rafters to cut it down.

Ed Schultz was doing play by play I believe and got a little POed mostly because it was screwing up their camera coverage. it was great. Must have been some engineering students behind it because they had the hanging angle just perfect and it was held up by fishing line so no one but those right around it knew anything was up.

Also remember in the 70s when one guy had a rubber chicken on a long pole and used to sit behind the visiting goalie and drop the chicken over his head between periods - wow the stuff we got away with back then.

Those were the days.

Adelson sounds right. It seems to me that when he walked in well before warmups that the rest of the student section was chanting Adelson, Adelson, Adelson.....Sucks! until he hung a white towel out the window of the press box.

Well that did happen, not sure if it was that weekend or not.

Come on folks, use a little ingenuity (or, a buddy in the band!) :lol:

I was there for most of those instances being mentioned.

Agree entirely. :D

A good way to smuggle in a frozen gopher was to put it in your mitten/glove. Everybody got patted down, and sometimes more, but the gloves/mittens were never searched.

Of course, smuggling in a 3-foot styrofoam puck took more ingenuity. :lol:

Flash of the goal light to whoever smuggled this weeks critter in.

Agree entirely. :lol:

A good way to smuggle in a frozen gopher was to put it in your mitten/glove. Everybody got patted down, and sometimes more, but the gloves/mittens were never searched.

Of course, smuggling in a 3-foot styrofoam puck took more ingenuity. :D

Flash of the goal light to whoever smuggled this weeks critter in.

I suppose it could have gotten into the arena early also. Hum...

As someone who's smuggled a live chicken into the old Winter Sports Building, this dead badger stunt was just okay.

Hey I was there when you tossed the live chicken on the ice. Then it proceeded to crap everywhere so they had to come out and clean up the chicken crap before the game. Hillarious :lol:

Adelson sounds right. It seems to me that when he walked in well before warmups that the rest of the student section was chanting Adelson, Adelson, Adelson.....Sucks! until he hung a white towel out the window of the press box.

Well that did happen, not sure if it was that weekend or not.

Oh that Jim Adelson. He really knew his hockey :lol: I remember when he said there was a penalty called for hitting the puck too high in the air and that we would now have a face off at that special face off spot.

Still I liked him for basketball.

Oh that Jim Adelson. He really knew his hockey :lol: I remember when he said there was a penalty called for hitting the puck too high in the air and that we would now have a face off at that special face off spot.

Still I liked him for basketball.

I still remember his famous basketball quip after a missed shot, " One roll...no coffee." I remember him waving the towel too at that hockey game. I wonder how a person could get a hold of any of those old games that were on tv back in the early 80's. Do you think they are stored in a film library anywhere?

I still remember his famous basketball quip after a missed shot, " One roll...no coffee." I remember him waving the towel too at that hockey game. I wonder how a person could get a hold of any of those old games that were on tv back in the early 80's. Do you think they are stored in a film library anywhere?

I still remember when Adelson broke away from the state Basketball championship game between Minot and Jamestown with about 7 seconds left in 1971 and then when they came back from break Minot had just won on a last second shot. Now that was stupid.

That isn't as good as the one he let fly after the Bismarck Demons girls dance team performed at halftime. Good old Jim commented "They looked good enough to eat!" :lol:

Speaking of those early 80's games, remember how the UND channel broadcasted all the games after you got home.

This isn't anything that big in this day and age, but back around then VCR's cost about a $1000 so there weren't many of them out there.

Nothing better than winning twice in one night.

Hey I was there when you tossed the live chicken on the ice. Then it proceeded to crap everywhere so they had to come out and clean up the chicken crap before the game. Hillarious :lol:

I saw the live chicken that night many years ago.

That was the greatest stunt I have ever witnessed.

Thanks for that act then and memory now!

You people are really old.

:D

... that live chicken's name was Stu Bickel... and now you know the rest of the story...I'm Paul Harvey, good day!