SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX @ MSU MAVERICKS

AZSIOUX

4422b92eeeec6-72-1.jpg

Well that was a tough start to the season losing both games in Boston. The Sioux lost 5-1 friday to BU and 3-2 Saturday to UMass. MSU comes off a sweep of Bemidji State at home. Time to get some wins and start out the all important WCHA schedule on a good note on the road. As we all know these points are so important no matter when you play league games. Lets hope the offense gets rolling at on the road! Who knows which goalie plays. GO SIOUX

und.gif

Overall Record: 0-2-0

WCHA: 0-0-0, 0 points

Home: 0-0-0

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EEK! Its too late to get started off on the right foot, but this is definitely the best time to regain balance. Im more that curious how this team is going to make the turnaround and revive this current situation...

it is only 2 games. now if we lose the next 2 games then it will be time to worry a bit. it isnt too late to get off to a good WCHA start! i hope we see david toews this weekend!

it is only 2 games. now if we lose the next 2 games then it will be time to worry a bit. it isnt too late to get off to a good WCHA start! i hope we see david toews this weekend!

I second that! after this weekend, i think dtoews would be a welcome addition to the lineup. Go SIOUX! :silly:

Argh. The "Ole Song".

Much like in Major League..."I hate this #*$%ing song". :silly:

Let's hope we don't have to hear it too much this upcoming weekend.

One (of many) things for the Sioux to work on this week in practice: Power plays

Mankato gave BSU 12 PP's on Friday and 9 PP's on Saturday. Gotta make them pay for that many penalties.

Argh. The "Ole Song".

Much like in Major League..."I hate this #*$%ing song". :silly:

Let's hope we don't have to hear it too much this upcoming weekend.

One (of many) things for the Sioux to work on this week in practice: Power plays

Mankato gave BSU 12 PP's on Friday and 9 PP's on Saturday. Gotta make them pay for that many penalties.

Excellent point about the PP. If this team takes advantage of its PP opportunities, then it should come away with two victories. If it has another 1-13 performance like last weekend, we're looking at 2 losses.

The really only positive that I got out of this weekend was sioux's third period performance yesterday. If they can feed off of that and also some serious butt kicking by hak this week in practice, then I'm sure we'll be just fine. The only goalie issue is knowing who the starter will be and not having to swap goalies every game losing confidence in their minds. Both goalies are capable of the position in my mind. Defense! Hits! Precision passing! My three keys to next weekend. GO SIOUX!

The really only positive that I got out of this weekend was sioux's third period performance yesterday. If they can feed off of that and also some serious butt kicking by hak this week in practice, then I'm sure we'll be just fine. The only goalie issue is knowing who the starter will be and not having to swap goalies every game losing confidence in their minds. Both goalies are capable of the position in my mind. Defense! Hits! Precision passing! My three keys to next weekend. GO SIOUX!

Not so sure about the swapping of goalies contributing to lack of confidence. Up until last year, we had a goalie rotation for a very long time. I don't think it affected confidence.

What I think DOES affect confidence is the fact that neither goaltender is experienced. There is a break-in period for both goaltenders and we're not in a position (due to PWR and the shortness of the season) to be able to allow them to gain experience without possibly losing position.

And yeah, if you are on the PP, you should get at least 1, maybe 2, scoring opportunities per PP and give up ZERO short handed rushes.

All in all, I feel we are still more talented than the Mavs, but the Mavs hold an advantage in goal in an experienced goaltender who is actually better than MANY give him credit for.

What strikes me is the deterioration of our defense. Most of the season last year I felt our defense was great. They hit people, moved the puck, and didn't make huge mistakes. Then they looked like they had their skates in cement during the BC game and have continued to look this way this year. They couldn't start an offensive rush to save their butts. This is not an inexperienced unit. What gives? Another mystery is why our power play looks so bad at times (other times last year we were great). When we are bad, we can barely get the puck in zone and set up a play. This bad PP has a difficult to impossible time pulling the trigger and putting the puck on net. Why we struggle at the beginning of each year is a mystery. We have a fairly experienced team and should be able to integrate our new talent. The only question should be at goalie. Hak's system should not be a mystery to most. Could we look more disorganized so far?

only if he's 100% otherwise he won't make a difference.

David Toews at 99% = worthless. Got it. :silly:

I too am looking forward to seeing what David Toews brings to the lineup. Who sits with him in, and what line do you put him on?

I still really like the Kozek/Gregoire/Trupp line, even if they didn't register a single point this past weekend. Possibly put Toews up with Duncan and VV? I think that Martens, Hextall, and Mario all played very well against BU/UMass, but one of those is probably the one's most likely to sit (on top of Miller/Davidson, who sat on Saturday). I like the grittiness that Hextall and Mario bring to the table.

I predict a 3-2 Sioux win Friday & 4-2 Sioux win Saturday. Go Sioux!

And I predict the Dow will be up over 11,000 by the drop of the puck on Friday.

Neither one of the above mentioned scenerios is likely. I'd be thrilled with a split with what Mankato has coming back and being at home plus the fact that we didn't exactly look "solid" in many phases of the game this past weekend.

And I predict the Dow will be up over 11,000 by the drop of the puck on Friday.

Neither one of the above mentioned scenerios is likely. I'd be thrilled with a split with what Mankato has coming back and being at home plus the fact that we didn't exactly look "solid" in many phases of the game this past weekend.

I think these games will depend on how well our defense bounces back after the two losses. Hopefully they got a wake-up call and are able to help keep MSU to a couple goals each night! They have it in them, they just have to follow through with it.

Why is it that for the past several years Sioux hockey teams despite all that talent have trouble scoring in the first half of every season. They get the same number of shots throughout the season, but like turning on a switch, pucks find the back of the net in the second half.

From this past weekend perhaps the outcomes were a result of no one other than Martens willing to go hard to the oppositons net, and it won't get any easier against the Mavs this weekend. There are other players in this years lineup that are capable and they must be willing to pay the price this weekend for the Sioux to get any points.

Why is it that for the past several years Sioux hockey teams despite all that talent have trouble scoring in the first half of every season. They get the same number of shots throughout the season, but like turning on a switch, pucks find the back of the net in the second half.

From this past weekend perhaps the outcomes were a result of no one other than Martens willing to go hard to the oppositons net, and it won't get any easier against the Mavs this weekend. There are other players in this years lineup that are capable and they must be willing to pay the price this weekend for the Sioux to get any points.

i agree, we need to wreak havok in front of the oppositions net. guys like hextall, mario lam., malone, vv all have big bodies to occupy space in front of the goalie. i hope that "switch" flips very soon... like starting friday night!

What is with all the damn negativity on ss.com lately. it is two games. We are all bummed, but it is the Icebreaker. Give these guys some time to learn the new players. I think that this team will be just fine. I think we sweep this weekend and have a stronger first half of the season then the last few years.

Go Sioux. I am pumped to be in Mankato, to watch the Best College Hockey Team in the Country!

Couple of quick questions about this Friday's game. Does Mankato hockey get covered on TV in the cities ? If so, which station ? Also, Is this game sold out or will it sell out ? I'm going to the Northern Iowa-Bison game on Saturday and we're staying in the cities Friday night so I was thinking if we left early enough Friday I just might go down to the game Friday night in Mankato, make it a really fun sports weekend. I've never been to a game there before so I'm kind of in the dark.