SiouxSports.com Forum

UW-L vs UND

SiouxMD

I understand that the schedule is what it is and I also understand that some people are willing to support Sioux Football regardless of the opponent and some have no desire to watch a UND vs St. Cloud or UND vs UW-L. Im fine with both, I can see both sides. In fact watching UND vs St. Cloud last week I admit that I was bored by halftime. That being said it is just reaffirmation that the DI move was necessary.

I do have a problem with the Athletic Department promoting the Texas A&M Kingsville as the first DI game. In my opinion we don't see DI football at the Alerus Center until Southern Utah comes to town. Don't try to market a product that isn't there. And I'm not saying not to market those games but to market them as DI football is what I have a difficult time with. Let's face it, we are playing a NCAA Division III school this saturday. We are a team with ~62 scholarships playing a team with ZERO.

I will continue to support UND athletics because as many of you have stated the department needs it and the kids deserve it. But I will admit that I'm not sure that I can take many more years of this type of schedule and mix that in with UND telling me that "This is DI football" I lose my excitement.

I am willing to grin and bear it and look for a much improved HOME schedule next season.

I realize you can't take many more years of schedules like this but hopefully you can handle one. You act shocked and surprised that we had a schedule like we do this year. Anyone that has been following the history of teams making the move to DI knows that teams have a rather unfavorable schedule at home the first year and sometimes not the perfect schedule the second year(but better than the first year.). Everyone needs to relax and hang in there because there are better days ahead. I'm sure there are exceptions but most schedules aren't good the first year.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Main point: Show up this year and next year no matter who we are playing. It will only help build the program.

Agreed 100%. I wish more people would share this sentiment. It's about supporting the local university, 1st and foremost. 'Good games' are an added bonus, and will be the norm in the near future. I can't stand when people whine and complain about UND blowing out their opponents. We should be happy it's not the other way around like it was some years in the past when 1,000 people were going to the games at Memorial Stadium.

NOTES AND QUOTES - www.fightingsioux.com

Head coach Chris Mussman said he's reminded the football team that despite Wisconsin-LaCrosse being an NCAA Division III team, it has been known to beat teams in "higher" classifications.

"I challenged the team on Sunday to be mature enough to handle the preparation for this week," Mussman said. "We understand it's a Division III football team. But it's the same Division III football team that beat South Dakota State in Brookings (S.D.). We have to prepare for these guys just like anyone else."

From the Herald...

Fourth quarter

UND's first offensive play in the fourth quarter went for a touchdown. Josh Murray took a handoff off the right side for 53 yards. Hellevang extra point makes it 38-7.

The Sioux pushed the lead to 45-7 on Ismael Bamba's first career catch. Backup quarterback Jake Landry hit the true freshman in stride for a 61-yard touchdown pass.

Landry to Bamba, the combination of the future. :lol:

Nice game guys.

Go Sioux!!

Just watching the end of the Notre Dame game, and thinking how great it is when they all sing the Alma Matter. It would be cool if UND would do that.

The team actually sings this after every victory. We tried to involve the student section after the last Nickel trophy game but the student section wasn't quite up to spead on the lyrics.

The team actually sings this after every victory. We tried to involve the student section after the last Nickel trophy game but the student section wasn't quite up to spead on the lyrics.

I sang along. :lol:

Random thoughts from the game:

-I couldn't wait for Landry to throw a long ball today.

-Bamba is definitely fast. It looked like he waited forever for his teammates to catch up to him in the end zone to celebrate his TD.

-I don't remember the TAMUK game, but the last two games the team has looked flat after halftime. Not something you want to see.

-It was fun seeing the student section cheer for the flag guy in the marching band during the halftime show.

-I really like all of the extra stuff on the big screen (extra stats, "did you know", scores, etc.)

-Glad to see they finally broke the seal and got some sacks.

Coach Mussman mentioned on the post-game interview that they really need to get Bamba more involved. Today was the first time he's touched the ball in a game at the college level, and obviously he has some serious speed. I'm sure he's pretty raw, and it's a big adjustment going from Canadian rules to American football, but he could definitely be a playmaker in the not-too-distant future.

I was also very pleased that Murray finally got the majority of the carries. No offense to the other backs, but I'm a big fan of his and he really showed today what he's cabable of doing given 20-plus carries.

My thoughts:

-Best complete game on both sides of the ball so far......they did exactly what I expected they should do against a DIII team

-The run defense is very good

-The entire defense was very good overall today.......if not for the one big pass play by UW-L, score would have been 45-0

-Josh Murray is good. He makes good decisions and is a patient runner. Could be a big star for this team for the next 3 yrs.

-Ismael Bamba runs fast. Hope he gets more reps either at WR or on special teams

-Loyal Janke has lost a step over the years

-Students must have went to the library after halftime.

-Dominique Hawkins continues to impress me both in the secondary and on special teams

-It's true SiouxMD, popcorn is expensive, and hot butter not only costs more, but you have to negotiate for it