SiouxSports.com Forum

Sports Marketing

UND'er

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to Hallstrom at WDAY, the difficulty with away games is they have to rely on some or all of the availability of that local market's production facility.

Put another way:

Opponents benefit from the capabilities of REA and Alerus Center when visiting GF and we get whatever bad capabilities they have when UND is on the road.

• 2 weeks later...

I live in Bismarck and the only thing I have seen or heard about the UND football team is when I click on fightingsioux.com and see that opening page advertisement. Not a day goes by that I don't see an NDSU football ad on TV. Is UND even trying to promote football outside of Grand Forks?

• 2 weeks later...
How about televising the away games? Many of them are better games this year anyway.

Coach Mussman was just on Mac Talk and mentioned that there could potentially be one road game televised this season. Southern Illinois, perhaps? Could also be South Dakota, I believe they have a similar arrangement with Midcontinent that we do.

Coach Mussman was just on Mac Talk and mentioned that there could potentially be one road game televised this season. Southern Illinois, perhaps? Could also be South Dakota, I believe they have a similar arrangement with Midcontinent that we do.

I'm guessing it's the USD game. FSSN picked up the feed from the USD telecast last year (although we missed a quarter or so due to technical difficulties).

I would sure hope it is the Southern Illinois game. A lot of Sioux fans will be going to the USD game anyway. The Dale Lennon connection would make the Southern Illinois game a no brainer. Don't get me wrong the USD game would be good too. The Southern Illinois game should be an easy sell this year.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm guessing it's the USD game. FSSN picked up the feed from the USD telecast last year (although we missed a quarter or so due to technical difficulties).

I see on UND's Schedule page, there is now a FSSN icon by the South Dakota game, so they are obviously picking up the feed for that one.

FWIW, there will be video webcasts for UC Davis game and the Southern Illinois game for $9.95.

I'm more than a little disappointed that UND decided to only broadcast one football game this year on a cable station that they own and operate. Thank goodness though that they are televising the Hockey team's EXHIBITION games against Manitoba and the Under 18 team! :D:D

If South Dakota can televise all of their home games, I'd think UND could as well. They both have the same type of deal with Mid Continent. Thanks to USD for doing that so that we can have another game on TV. ???

I see on UND's Schedule page, there is now a FSSN icon by the South Dakota game, so they are obviously picking up the feed for that one.

FWIW, there will be video webcasts for UC Davis game and the Southern Illinois game for $9.95.

I'm more than a little disappointed that UND decided to only broadcast one football game this year on a cable station that they own and operate. Thank goodness though that they are televising the Hockey team's EXHIBITION games against Manitoba and the Under 18 team! :D:D

If South Dakota can televise all of their home games, I'd think UND could as well. They both have the same type of deal with Mid Continent. Thanks to USD for doing that so that we can have another game on TV. ???

I agree that it's rather disappointing they aren't televising more football games. I wonder if this game will truly be a FSSN broadcast or if they will just be picking up the SD feed. It was posted earlier that USD will be televising the rest of their home football games on the Midcontinent channel (Channel 23).

I agree that it's rather disappointing they aren't televising more football games. I wonder if this game will truly be a FSSN broadcast or if they will just be picking up the SD feed. It was posted earlier that USD will be televising the rest of their home football games on the Midcontinent channel (Channel 23).

It's simple logic, you televise home games, less people fill up the Alerus. That is the sole reason behing not haveing telvised home games. You can look up the data from past years when they had more games televised.

It's simple logic, you televise home games, less people fill up the Alerus. That is the sole reason behing not haveing telvised home games. You can look up the data from past years when they had more games televised.

That's a myth. A game broadcast is a 3 hour commercial for the University. How many people stay home from hockey games because they are all on TV? Not me.

Coach Lennon said several times that if he had it his way, every home game would be on TV. Mussman basically said the same thing on the radio two weeks ago.

USD is drawing much smaller crowds and have more empty seats on Saturdays, but their administration still sees the value of having casual sports fans having the opportunity to watch their university play.

And before anyone jumps on me for wanting the games on TV so that I can stay home and watch, I should point out that I go to all the home games, and I'm going to the USD game this year. In a perfect world the away games would be on TV but I understand the cost that is involved with that. But when the University basically owns a TV station, I don't see the point in not utilizing it to put the home games on TV and deliver the product to a much larger audience than the 10,000 or so who file into the Alerus on the weekend.

That's outdated thinking. The more people that get exposed to the product, the more will want to be a part of it. In the long run that means more season tickets sold, and more giving. Of course, this is only true if your product is good, but that isn't an issue here. More people state and region wide should see the quality of the product. The television airwaves should no longer be allowed to be conceded to NDSU.

That's outdated thinking. The more people that get exposed to the product, the more will want to be a part of it. In the long run that means more season tickets sold, and more giving. Of course, this is only true if your product is good, but that isn't an issue here. More people state and region wide should see the quality of the product. The television airwaves should no longer be allowed to be conceded to NDSU.

update:

The North Dakota NBC Network will carry the Southern Illinois game Oct. 4 ... Valley News Live (KVLY-TV, NBC, Channel 11/KXJB-TV, CBS, Channel 4, Fargo) sports director Scott Peters; KFYR-TV (Channel 5, Bismarck) sports director Lee Timmerman, and former Bison standout quarterback and current Fargo South head coach Kevin Feeney are in the booth, while Valley News Live weekend anchor Brian Shawn is on the sidelines ... The other network stations include KMOT-TV (Channel 10, Minot), KQCD-TV (Channel 7, Dickinson) and KUMV-TV (Channel 8, Williston).

update:

The North Dakota NBC Network will carry the Southern Illinois game Oct. 4 ... Valley News Live (KVLY-TV, NBC, Channel 11/KXJB-TV, CBS, Channel 4, Fargo) sports director Scott Peters; KFYR-TV (Channel 5, Bismarck) sports director Lee Timmerman, and former Bison standout quarterback and current Fargo South head coach Kevin Feeney are in the booth, while Valley News Live weekend anchor Brian Shawn is on the sidelines ... The other network stations include KMOT-TV (Channel 10, Minot), KQCD-TV (Channel 7, Dickinson) and KUMV-TV (Channel 8, Williston).

Just to avoid confusion, that info is referring to the NDSU/SIU game, not the UND/SIU game.

This isn't directly related to the marketing efforts at UND, but is somewhat related.

Not that there was any question that UND is a hockey school and Grand Forks is a hockey town, but this really illustrates that. Check out Brad's blog today and the coverage for the start of the college hockey season. It appears the Herald and Brad have once again outdone themselves. A 12-page college hockey preview? Truly impressive coverage.

http://www.areavoices.com/undhockey/

In Tuesday's paper, columnist Ryan Bakken will take a look at Travis Roy's visit to Grand Forks. Roy was paralyzed 11 seconds into his college career, when he missed a check on UND's Mitch Vig and slammed into the boards. Roy will talk about the incident and more at 7 p.m. tonight in the Chester Fritz. It's free of charge if you want to go. Roy also will tour Ralph Engelstad Arena and have dinner with the Sioux hockey team.

In Wednesday's paper, look for the annual Grand Forks Herald WCHA coaches poll. The results are in and some are interesting.

In Thursday's paper, look for the women's hockey preview. Coach Brian Idalski talks about what he expects in his second season. There was a large overhaul on the roster during the offseason and he believes his freshmen can contribute right away.

In Friday's paper, you will find the 12-page special section college hockey preview. Since newspapers are ridiculously cheap, you should definitely go out and get this one. Quite a bit of info for 75 cents. Not sure how much, if any, is going to be on the web. But there's a team-by-team breakdown in the WCHA, a preview on every other conference in the country, stories on Jason Gregoire, Brett Bruneteau, Joe Gleason, Chris Porter, Brent Olson, Jacques Lamoureux, Kelly Zajac, Hunter Bishop and more.

In Saturday's paper, we will have coverage from UND's annual media day, which will be held Friday. Dave Hakstol will be addressing the media over lunch and all players will be available for interviews afterward.

In Sunday's paper, you will realize there is a purpose to learning math. I have used it to come up with a formula to objectively compare players from different eras. This is impossible to do by just looking at point totals, because scoring has decreased so much over the years in college hockey. But I found a way to look at everyone's season under the same light. How do the seasons of UND's two Hobey Baker Award winners compare? Where do other Hobey-worthy seasons fit in? Find out.

In Monday's paper, read about UND's exhibition game against Manitoba. I'll be there live blogging and covering a hockey game for the first time in six months.

Don't get me wrong, I think this coverage is great. And I understand that supply and demand effects are in play here. But there is more of a demand for UND football than the Herald supplies. I don't mean to be "age-ist", but I think the Herald would truly benefit by hiring a younger guy to cover Sioux football. Someone like Brad with the passion, energy, and willingness to regularly blog.

This isn't directly related to the marketing efforts at UND, but is somewhat related.

Not that there was any question that UND is a hockey school and Grand Forks is a hockey town, but this really illustrates that. Check out Brad's blog today and the coverage for the start of the college hockey season. It appears the Herald and Brad have once again outdone themselves. A 12-page college hockey preview? Truly impressive coverage.

http://www.areavoices.com/undhockey/

Don't get me wrong, I think this coverage is great. And I understand that supply and demand effects are in play here. But there is more of a demand for UND football than the Herald supplies. I don't mean to be "age-ist", but I think the Herald would truly benefit by hiring a younger guy to cover Sioux football. Someone like Brad with the passion, energy, and willingness to regularly blog.

The truly sad thing with the Herald is that if you take away the Saturday coverage page, there are more NDSU articles in a week than there are UND football articles.

• 3 weeks later...