SiouxSports.com Forum

Future Schedules

dakotadan

Gophers and UND now both have open date on Sept 13 2014. GET THIS DONE. I know there is already an FBS team scheduled as the opener, but a game with MN would be a much needed jumpstart for this fan and alumni base.

http://www.gopherspo...dules.html#2014

http://www.startribu...41.html?refer=y

http://www.undsports...0&Q_SEASON=2014

Would love to see this happen. Eastern Illinois is already on the books for 2014, I didn't see a precedent for scheduling two FCS in a season. I think Teague and Kill would take a lot of heat if they did. Hope it happens, though.

Would love to see this happen. Eastern Illinois is already on the books for 2014, I didn't see a precedent for scheduling two FCS in a season. I think Teague and Kill would take a lot of heat if they did. Hope it happens, though.

You're right. I didn't recognize eastern on there. I don't think they would pull the trigger on that. False hope.

The Gophers have decided to spend $800,000 to buy out a home-and-home contract they had signed with North Carolina for 2013 and 2014 so they can find an even weaker opponent:

The Gophers backed out of their home-and-home series with North Carolina in 2013-14 in favor of trying to find a lesser opponent. The kicker is even more of a doozy: The Gophers paid North Carolina $800,000 to cancel the series. That's right, an athletic department that struggles to make budget every year is forking over $800,000 to avoid playing North Carolina.

http://fayobserver.com/articles/2012/10/17/1211108?sac=fo.sports

This could make it easier for UND to get a game against the Gophers at TCF Bank Stadium, since even North Carolina isn't weak enough for them. And since this move will tick off what is left of their fan base, we could take over the stadium like the Bison fans did last year.

The Gophers have decided to spend $800,000 to buy out a home-and-home contract they had signed with North Carolina for 2013 and 2014 so they can find an even weaker opponent:

http://fayobserver.c...8?sac=fo.sports

This could make it easier for UND to get a game against the Gophers at TCF Bank Stadium, since even North Carolina isn't weak enough for them. And since this move will tick off what is left of their fan base, we could take over the stadium like the Bison fans did last year.

harder to take over their stadium now. It is smaller than the Metrodome so less seating available per game.

We can't even take over our own stadium...................... ???

Do you really believe that our Twin Cities-based alums won't get excited about this game? Hopefully, by the time it happens, we'll have a better team and we'll have a shot at the upset. The arrogant Gopher fan base who still thinks the Big 10 is one of the top conferences in the nation would never be able to live it down. :p

I know things don't look good right now, but we can't let ourselves think the future will not get better. I believe it will. :)

Didn't stop USD from going to TCF and knocking off the Goofs. By the way that game on Sept. 11, 2010 was the last road win for the Yotes.

I was there. As Gopher fans filed out of the stadium, they all had that look on their faces that said they really weren't surprised that they lost to an FCS school. They are really conditioned to losing down there. That must not be allowed to happen here.

• Upvote 3

I was there. As Gopher fans filed out of the stadium, they all had that look on their faces that said they really weren't surprised that they lost to an FCS school. They are really conditioned to losing down there. That must not be allowed to happen here.

I think it would really sting if UND were to beat the Gophers in football then a few months later sweep them at Mariucci Arena.

I'd love to see it happen, but I'm not optimistic. UND can't even get the Gophers on the schedule in hockey after this year.

The hockey relationships have been a big disappointment in leveraging football games all through the transition.
  • Upvote 3

Didn't stop USD from going to TCF and knocking off the Goofs. By the way that game on Sept. 11, 2010 was the last road win for the Yotes.

If you overlook the obvious lack of discipline that Meirkort had with his teams at USD, he was the best coach USD has had in years. He beat Minnesota and he had UND beat until his guys got cute and beat UND the 2 years before if memory serves correctly. His teams played well at several FBS venues and he had a great recruiting record. Too bad about his departure, but if he were still at USD I would bet they would upset the Bison this weekend. I thought the guy was a hell of a coach. Not impressed with some of the issues that arose, and he had his negatives, but he had USD play some great games.

The hockey relationships have been a big disappointment in leveraging football games all through the transition.

The hockey relationship with the Gophers probably is a negative in scheduling a FB game. First it was the nickname issue, though Maturi would have overlooked that if the Board of Regents would have ok'd, but the overall vibes with the hockey programs are not positive with the hockey community in the MSP area. At best the situation is neutral on playing UND in FB based on the hockey situation. A lot of UND fans would show up for a FB game especially playing early in the season at TCF. UM is taking a lot of heat about dropping UNC, but a game against UND might be a financial wash and gain some valuable or invaluable publicity, depending on how it goes. The Gophers program is better now than when NDSU and USD beat them, but not much. Still, UND would have to improve considerably to realistically have a chance to upset them.

There was a handshake agreement for a Minnesota Gopher FB game right after the nickname was dropped the first time. That fell through after dumbass Carlson and the idiots in ND's legislature passed the nickname law in their attempt to screw over UND. I think it will likely get done in 2017 or 2018. Who knows how the Gophers will be then but this year's version is only moderately improved from last season.

• Upvote 2

UND is 0-20 all time vs the Gophers. Is there a hurry to play them? ???

Yes, I live in the TC and went to the games in '73-74 when we played them statistically even in '73 when Upchurch was the only difference. I would love to see UND play them again. I would be overjoyed to see UND beat them as NDSU and USD did. The Gopher fans are fickle and will only support a winner. As I get older the number of opptys for this to happen in my lifetime get slimmer, but I keep hoping. This year the offense is good enough to do it, but the defense would be a serious problem as is well known. Beating the Gophers is the best thing for all the Dakota teams to enjoy because it is so satisfying and they take it so hard.

• 3 weeks later...