SiouxSports.com Forum

Future Schedules

dakotadan

You sure? As I indicated here, since moving to DI, the non-DI games have been better attended than the DI games.................... ???

This is just like when we would play Moorhead St, and Crookston every year, yes its an easy win but it gets boring and fans want a little competition. Its not fun when your starters play 1/2 of the game. The only difference now is back then those wins against D2 teams counted towards the playoffs.....in DI they don't.

9/1 is likely the SD Mines game...................

So, we passed on a chance to play USD in Vermillion and likely keep that series alive as a home-and-home for the foreseeable future for a home game with SD Mines? Is getting a home game next year with a weak D-II program more important than playing USD in Vermillion, but also getting them at home every other year from here on out? Maybe it is, I just don't understand the rationale however.

Does anybody know if UND "skipped over" USD in order play mines? I don't handle scheduling for the school, so I wouldn't know. Is it possible USD could have declined to play UND in 2012? Probably not.............UND of course is in a position to pick and choose to play whomever they want at their own terms........... :silly: Obviously UND has an axe to grind agains USD, otherwise we certainly would have allowed them to play us........... ;)

• Upvote 1

Does anybody know if UND "skipped over" USD in order play mines? I don't handle scheduling for the school, so I wouldn't know. Is it possible USD could have declined to play UND in 2012? Probably not.............UND of course is in a position to pick and choose to play whomever they want at their own terms........... :silly: Obviously UND has an axe to grind agains USD, otherwise we certainly would have allowed them to play us........... ;)

Exactly. Very good post.

I suspect the problem was it was our turn to go to Vermillion and we needed a home game.

If this is going to be all about economics and balancing the budget, let's just switch to an all NAIA home schedule. Bring on Mayville State, Dickinson State, Jamestown College, ect. Then we can keep more of the gate to ourselves and balance the budget, because that is all that really matters, right? :silly:

This nonsense has to stop and it has to stop now. The idea that the fans have to swallow whatever lousy schedule the AD dishes up so that he'll fork over more cash to get better teams is so stupid I don't know where to start. What makes all of you apologists for the Athletic Department think selling out the Alerus Center for D-II schools is going to encourage the scheduling of better teams? They'll probably just take advantage of the situation and keep scheduling the same lower level teams because they will have no incentive to change their behavior. In a market economy, the consumers are king and this is no exception. The onus is on the Athletic Department to put a more attractive home schedule in place to attract more fans and interest, NOT on the fans to swallow whatever is dished out to them. I am a season ticket holder and will continue to support the team at every home game, but to continue hosting lower level D-II programs AFTER we have joined the Big Sky Conference will dampen my enthusiasm for the future of the program at the FCS level.

Bottom line: If we can't afford to run this program like an FCS program, we should have stayed in D-II. Or we can switch to non-scholarship FCS and really run this on the cheap. After all, that is all that matters, right? :silly:

• Upvote 3

If this is going to be all about economics and balancing the budget, let's just switch to an all NAIA home schedule. Bring on Mayville State, Dickinson State, Jamestown College, ect. Then we can keep more of the gate to ourselves and balance the budget, because that is all that really matters, right? :silly:

This nonsense has to stop and it has to stop now. The idea that the fans have to swallow whatever lousy schedule the AD dishes up so that he'll fork over more cash to get better teams is so stupid I don't know where to start. What makes all of you apologists for the Athletic Department think selling out the Alerus Center for D-II schools is going to encourage the scheduling of better teams? They'll probably just take advantage of the situation and keep scheduling the same lower level teams because they will have no incentive to change their behavior. In a market economy, the consumers are king and this is no exception. The onus is on the Athletic Department to put a more attractive home schedule in place to attract more fans and interest, NOT on the fans to swallow whatever is dished out to them. I am a season ticket holder and will continue to support the team at every home game, but to continue hosting lower level D-II programs AFTER we have joined the Big Sky Conference will dampen my enthusiasm for the future of the program at the FCS level.

Bottom line: If we can't afford to run this program like an FCS program, we should have stayed in D-II. Or we can switch to non-scholarship FCS and really run this on the cheap. After all, that is all that matters, right? :silly:

I suggest that you or somebody get Capt. Burggraff to help compose another letter to Mr. Faison. :)

• Upvote 1

Who said it was ALL about economics and balancing the budget? Obviously, those play a major role. But, it's a little silly to keep hearing fans on this board pontificate like they know all the facts and have all the information. The reality is what most of us know about college football scheduling is what we read in the papers and on these boards.

Anyone, like me, that's posting on here, has never dealt with all the hundreds of issues that go into scheduling sports, especially during a transition and the first years after. We might have 5% of the facts and information needed. For me, it's tiring to hear well meaning, diehard fans like myself making silly statements like "This nonsense has to stop and it has to stop now. " Like we know something and can makes demands. Get a grip folks. Great to be passionate, but no one on here knows enough to make statements like that. I am also a season ticket holder, and saw my first Sioux football game in the mid-1960's. That doesn't make me an expert on how to schedule. I'm just a fan. I remember seeing an awful good Sioux Falls team a few years back come in and beat us. I thought beforehand it might be a pretty weak game. I saw a lowly D2 Sioux team play at Northern Iowa a few years back and beat a team that was in the FCS title game the previous year. What was their AD thinking scheduling a D2 team, didn't he know how much beneath UNI the Sioux were. Turned out to be a very good game and a Sioux victory. All I'm saying is for some on here to take a chill pill and support the Fighting Sioux Football team against whoever they are playing....... Go Sioux!

• Upvote 2

Who said it was ALL about economics and balancing the budget? Obviously, those play a major role. But, it's a little silly to keep hearing fans on this board pontificate like they know all the facts and have all the information. The reality is what most of us know about college football scheduling is what we read in the papers and on these boards.

Anyone, like me, that's posting on here, has never dealt with all the hundreds of issues that go into scheduling sports, especially during a transition and the first years after. We might have 5% of the facts and information needed. For me, it's tiring to hear well meaning, diehard fans like myself making silly statements like "This nonsense has to stop and it has to stop now. " Like we know something and can makes demands. Get a grip folks. Great to be passionate, but no one on here knows enough to make statements like that. I am also a season ticket holder, and saw my first Sioux football game in the mid-1960's. That doesn't make me an expert on how to schedule. I'm just a fan. I remember seeing an awful good Sioux Falls team a few years back come in and beat us. I thought beforehand it might be a pretty weak game. I saw a lowly D2 Sioux team play at Northern Iowa a few years back and beat a team that was in the FCS title game the previous year. What was their AD thinking scheduling a D2 team, didn't he know how much beneath UNI the Sioux were. Turned out to be a very good game and a Sioux victory. All I'm saying is for some on here to take a chill pill and support the Fighting Sioux Football team against whoever they are playing....... Go Sioux!

Answer me this question, since scheduling is so tough especially during and a few years after transition......Why has NDSU had ZERO DII or NAIA teams on their schedule since 2006 (2008 was their first year after transitioning) and yet our schedule is full of them? Its the AD not the fact we are in transition...especaially when there are teams in our own conference we could schedule as "non-conference" teams.

Answer me this question, since scheduling is so tough especially during and a few years after transition......Why has NDSU had ZERO DII or NAIA teams on their schedule since 2006 (2008 was their first year after transitioning) and yet our schedule is full of them? Its the AD not the fact we are in transition...especaially when there are teams in our own conference we could schedule as "non-conference" teams.

Have you even been reading this thread?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Have you even been reading this thread?

To summarize...NDSU has more seats/attendance which means bigger gate which means more dollars to buy an FCS team to come in.

That being said, what's up with USD being able to do it? Whether it's the one off games they bring to Vermillion or the home and home arrangements made, they seem to have been able to bring FCS opponents in for home games. Granted, they have had a few head shakers for games as well, but they are managing to bring in FCS opponents where as UND hasn't done as well.

To summarize...NDSU has more seats/attendance which means bigger gate which means more dollars to buy an FCS team to come in.

That being said, what's up with USD being able to do it? Whether it's the one off games they bring to Vermillion or the home and home arrangements made, they seem to have been able to bring FCS opponents in for home games. Granted, they have had a few head shakers for games as well, but they are managing to bring in FCS opponents where as UND hasn't done as well.

While there have been some mistakes made in scheduling IMO, such as the Idaho State debacle and one-game, road-only deals with SE Louisiana and SFA, I believe there has also been some bad luck, such as essentially giving free home non-conference games to Montana, UNC and possibly even SUU (was the contract for the 2007 game part of a home-and-home?). At least we still have a couple of good return games coming from SDSU and Central Arkansas. I will admit to being upset if that SDSU game does not come to fruition, however.

Has South Dakota really done all that much better? By the end of the 2011 season, USD will have hosted 9 non-DI teams and even TRAVELLED to another non-DI school since moving to DI in 2008.

By the end of 2011, North Dakota will have hosted 10 non-DI teams since the transition started.................

Both schools have 3 non-DI teams on their schedule for the upcoming season.

Has South Dakota really done all that much better? By the end of the 2011 season, USD will have hosted 9 non-DI teams and even TRAVELLED to another non-DI school since moving to DI in 2008.

By the end of 2011, North Dakota will have hosted 10 non-DI teams since the transition started.................

Both schools have 3 non-DI teams on their schedule for the upcoming season.

It's debatable. They have been able to get home and home arrangements with teams such as SELA and UNC. UND had to travel to those schools with no return games. They had UNI (2 for 1) come to Vermillion. They have a home game scheduled against EWU. So they have had some dogs on their schedule, but they have also had some good quality FCS teams visit Vermillion. I still don't know how they are able to bring in good FCS programs for one game and UND isn't able to, other than the Stony Brook game.

In my opinion they have also done better at scheduling FBS Schools. They have played U of Minnesota. They also have Air Force, Wisconsin, Kansas State on their schedule.

Let's not forget that UND pumps an extra million into it's football budget.

It's debatable. They have been able to get home and home arrangements with teams such as SELA and UNC. UND had to travel to those schools with no return games. They had UNI (2 for 1) come to Vermillion. They have a home game scheduled against EWU. So they have had some dogs on their schedule, but they have also had some good quality FCS teams visit Vermillion. I still don't know how they are able to bring in good FCS programs for one game and UND isn't able to, other than the Stony Brook game.

In my opinion they have also done better at scheduling FBS Schools. They have played U of Minnesota. They also have Air Force, Wisconsin, Kansas State on their schedule.

Let's not forget that UND pumps an extra million into it's football budget.

Valid points...............

But USD has also travelled to Montana St. twice and to Lamar and gotten no home game in return, which IMO is not much different than us travelling to SFA, SE Louisiana, and Idaho St. and not getting a return.

The only one game FCS home game that they've bought has been Drake, while we've "bought" Lamar and Stony Brook..............

Where they have done better is getting their return games faster.............They got Northern Colorado and SE Louisiana to return within a year and did a 2 for 1 with UNI to get them in during transition. UND just got their first return trip in 2010 from Northwestern St., but are scheduled to also get from Central Arkansas and SDSU in the future unless they "Idaho St." us...............

As far as the FBS games, we all know why we haven't been able to schedule Minnesota..............Personally I'd call Wisco and Texas Tech a wash especially considering that we weren't even a bowl counter when Tech played us. Agree that K-State and Air Force are better than Idaho twice......................

Don't get me wrong, I agree that the schedule has been sucking and that the 2011 home slate is pitiful. But I can see why it is so difficult and am reluctant to label the administration as lazy. And I'm certainly not going to bang my head on the wall when there is one DII game on the home schedule once we start Big Sky play, when that is the norm rather than the exception in FCS.

IMO the A.D. and football staff is trying a new direction with the 2011 schedule with 3 home non-DI's. In '08 and '09, we only had 10 game schedules and everyone was pissed about that too, but Mussman stated multiple times that they decided it would be better to play one less game than to fill it out with sub par opponents. Well obviously with 2011 they are going for quantity over quality, and felt the opportunity to have 6 home games may offset the crappy teams somewhat..........

We "bought" Eastern Washington this season. We were supposed to get a return home game from Lamar this season but they backed out on us. They got to chip off a $100,000 check for their refusal to play from what I heard.

I am not complaining about having to schedule non-D1's in transition. Everyone has to realize the when NDSU and SDSU transitioned there were more FCS teams available for scheduling and the costs of "buying" games has shot up. That said, I don't see anyone here or at USD really complaining about non-D1's now, it's something we've come to accept with transition. It'd be nice to see an all D1 schedule but I know it's not always feasible, it's the non-D1 games on schedule in future years after we've both secured conference affiliation and are playoff eligible that people complain about. It does no good to play a non-D1 when you are playoff eligible.

FWIW, I thought the NAIA NW Oklahoma St team we brought in last year (and this year to replace Lamar) was easily better than FCS Drake and better than UNC. I think you would agree that USF was better than other "higher level" teams you've seen at the Al. That still doesn't "move the needle" as perception is those teams are inferior.

I think anyone who is so disgusted that they say they will never go to Sioux football games and will cut off any support for the team should do just that. We don't need fans like that. This is indeed a difficult time to try to schedule games. But to go on and on rehashing the subject when all they are doing is repeating the same thing is boring and unproductive. It just creates a totally negative atmosphere. I for one will support the players and the program by going to games with the attitude that things are going to get a whole lot better with the schedules in the future. I think it is really careless to rip on Brian Faison unless you really know the facts behind each situation. I think we need to trust him.

I don't like to continually bash the schedule either. But there are a few things with scheduling that make you kind of wonder. One being the SD mines game. Especially when NDSU has offered an every other year deal. I believe that was intially offered for 2012. I wish we would stop being so stubborn and demanding an every year deal them. I would be totally fine with a 10 game schedule if it meant traveling to a decent FCS program...especially one that is 70 miles away.

I don't make the schedules and I'm not of the opinion that Mr. Faison is ruining the program. I am just frustrated with a few of the games. I will continue to attend 2-3 games a year and support the program. And if we need to schedule Non-DI opponents...schedule some old NCC teams not these NAIA 1 year/2 year transitionals that we have no history with. If we are worried about losing to the UMD's, Augustana's, and Mankato's of the football world, then that's a whole other issue about the state of our program.

I think anyone who is so disgusted that they say they will never go to Sioux football games and will cut off any support for the team should do just that. We don't need fans like that. This is indeed a difficult time to try to schedule games. But to go on and on rehashing the subject when all they are doing is repeating the same thing is boring and unproductive. It just creates a totally negative atmosphere. I for one will support the players and the program by going to games with the attitude that things are going to get a whole lot better with the schedules in the future. I think it is really careless to rip on Brian Faison unless you really know the facts behind each situation. I think we need to trust him.

Other than 2 more FCS home games via the BSC alliance, what makes you think the home schedule is going to get better? If you strive for mediocrity, that is what you will achieve. There is no apparent reason that UND is not as attractive to playing "up" teams as USD, NDSU, and SDSU are here in the midwest. I have been against playing NDSU every other year, but in view of some of the "home" games we have the next two years I would gladly play the Bison in FARGO as often as they are willing rather than continue to "play down"! C'mon, am I going to go to the D1 capable kid next door here in St Paul and say if you go to UND you can play against Montana Western and Black Hills State or even Drake. He will think I am nuts.