SiouxSports.com Forum

Future Schedules

dakotadan

Does anyone have any insight as to how much UND is offering potential teams to come to GF for open date on Potato Bowl? I would hope they are willing to spend a little money to try to get a quality opponent. It's been reported that we received a $25,000 buyout from Idaho State so. Combine that with the payday from the Texas Tech game and the profits from from a large Potato Bowl crowd, I would thin we have some cash to spend. I have no idea how scheduling works, but I am a little worried about the inability to schedule FCS opponents at home. Can anyone shed any light as to why scheduling is so difficult?

1) It is difficult and expensive to fly 50-60 people (players, coaches, etc.) to Grand Forks

2) GF is not perceived as being a great destination spot by players or fans. They would much rather travel to mountains, the ocean, a big city, etc. than to the plains of ND

3) Very importantly, UND is always good so there is a good chance they will lose

This all means that good teams who have an option to play elsewhere (somewhere less costly to travel to, more appealing to visit and where they have a decent chance of winning), will go elsewhere. Other than putting together some home-and-homes, we will continue to have this problem until they get into a conference.

Bottom line - the biggest problem is geography!

I actually would argue that geography isn't as big of a deal.

You're either going to be paying for a team's charter plane out of your own pocket or signing a home/home deal where they have to pay for their own charter plane.

I think it's more along the lines of: it's too risky to play a good team non conference.

1) It is difficult and expensive to fly 50-60 people (players, coaches, etc.) to Grand Forks

2) GF is not perceived as being a great destination spot by players or fans. They would much rather travel to mountains, the ocean, a big city, etc. than to the plains of ND

3) Very importantly, UND is always good so there is a good chance they will lose

This all means that good teams who have an option to play elsewhere (somewhere less costly to travel to, more appealing to visit and where they have a decent chance of winning), will go elsewhere. Other than putting together some home-and-homes, we will continue to have this problem until they get into a conference.

Bottom line - the biggest problem is geography!

Thos are valid points, but one thing that is more important than anything you just mentioned is money. If UND offers substantially more than more attractive destinations, money will, in the end, win out. It would be interesting to know what that dollar amount is. It seems at this point that UND is unable or unwilling to spend the kind of money it would take to bring in an FCS team.

Thos are valid points, but one thing that is more important than anything you just mentioned is money. If UND offers substantially more than more attractive destinations, money will, in the end, win out. It would be interesting to know what that dollar amount is. It seems at this point that UND is unable or unwilling to spend the kind of money it would take to bring in an FCS team.

What do you mean by "attractive" destinations?

The football teams aren't going to be seeing much more than the inside of the hotel, regardless of where the game is at.

You make a very good point - a point that probably should have been No. 4: Where do we get these $?

The same costs that a school considering to travel to UND would incur is incurred by UND each time we travel out of our area. With the increased cost of travel, more scholarships, the scholarships costing more each year, the lousy economy which will adversely affect donations, UND doesn't have a bunch of $ available. Just look at the schedules for all of our teams - we are spending a ton on travel that we didn't have to spend in the past. When you consider recruiting, you have the same challenge as so many of our athletes are now from out of the area. It is very costly to travel to watch them compete, travel to recruit them and then bring in a bunch of them for campus visits when you know many of them will commit somewhere else.

DI is VERY expensive. Any $ we get from guarantees, etc. isn't excess that can easily be spent elsewhere.

You make a very good point - a point that probably should have been No. 4: Where do we get these $?

The same costs that a school considering to travel to UND would incur is incurred by UND each time we travel out of our area. With the increased cost of travel, more scholarships, the scholarships costing more each year, the lousy economy which will adversely affect donations, UND doesn't have a bunch of $ available. Just look at the schedules for all of our teams - we are spending a ton on travel that we didn't have to spend in the past. When you consider recruiting, you have the same challenge as so many of our athletes are now from out of the area. It is very costly to travel to watch them compete, travel to recruit them and then bring in a bunch of them for campus visits when you know many of them will commit somewhere else.

DI is VERY expensive. Any $ we get from guarantees, etc. isn't excess that can easily be spent elsewhere.

Considering that UND is paying NAIA Sioux Falls "close to $60,000", one can guess that the cost of bringing in a DI probably approaches $80,000-100,000.

Considering that UND is paying NAIA Sioux Falls "close to $60,000", one can guess that the cost of bringing in a DI probably approaches $80,000-100,000.

According to a poster on AGS who is a Sam Houston Fan, NDSU paid them around $40,000 plus air fare plus a return game to get them to come to Fargo. Granted that was a couple of years ago and expenses have increased but I still think it's crazy that we needed to pay nearly $60,000 to get an NAIA school to come in...

According to a poster on AGS who is a Sam Houston Fan, NDSU paid them around $40,000 plus air fare plus a return game to get them to come to Fargo. Granted that was a couple of years ago and expenses have increased but I still think it's crazy that we needed to pay nearly $60,000 to get an NAIA school to come in...

I wonder if I'm misinterpretting USF's A.D. who is the one who made the "close to $60,000 comment". Maybe he ment the total deal was $60,000 for both games.

IIRC, I was told we paid ~$40,000 two years ago to bring in Humboldt St. for the season opener.

This all means that good teams who have an option to play elsewhere (somewhere less costly to travel to, more appealing to visit and where they have a decent chance of winning), will go elsewhere.

not to mention that not many other schools recruit players from ND

Generally home/home agreements do not require any guarantee

that is how tough it is to get schools up in ND

And that's with no hockey relationship to leverage.

This was a hope held by many that certainly has not materialized. One possible reason could be the fact that the WCHA commissioner has essentially told teams to put non-conference scheduling on hold until they get this Bemidji State/expansion thing figured out.

South Dakota released their football schedule. Just 10 games for the 'Yotes. They were also bitten by the dreaded "buy-out clause". Both Mcneese St. and DII West Texas A&M backed out on them.

USD Schedule

Sept. 3 William Penn University

Sept. 12 @ University of Northern Iowa

Sept. 19 University of Wisconsin, Stout

Sept. 26 Southeastern Louisiana University

Oct. 3 @ University of North Dakota*

Oct. 10 UC Davis (Dakota Days)*

Oct. 17 @ Montana State University

Oct. 31 @ University of Northern Colorado

Nov. 7 Southern Utah University*

Nov. 14 @ Cal Poly*

I've heard we are close to an agreement with an opponent for the Potato Bowl. Not sure if it is a DI team though. Probably not.

South Dakota released their football schedule. Just 10 games for the 'Yotes. They were also bitten by the dreaded "buy-out clause". Both Mcneese St. and DII West Texas A&M backed out on them.

USD Schedule

Nov. 14 @ Cal Poly*

I've heard we are close to an agreement with an opponent for the Potato Bowl. Not sure if it is a DI team though. Probably not.

With that schedule, USD may have a difficult time gaining a 5-5 record.

Relative to USD's schedule, the UND/Central Arkansas game Nov 28th effectively gives UND two more weeks of practice. Nov 14th is too early to hang up the pads.

USD Schedule

Nov. 14 @ Cal Poly*

The rumor on the USD board was that they were playing at Akron in 2009. I guess that either fell through or was simply a fabrication by somebody.

USD Schedule

Nov. 14 @ Cal Poly*

Good schedule. They were at least able to bring in one non-conference FCS team, something UND was unable to do. And I really like their road non-conference schedule too (regional schools with historic ties).

USD Schedule

Nov. 14 @ Cal Poly*

I'm sorry, but that is a GREAT looking schedule considering the circumstances. Kudos to USD and their athletic department on a great job of scheduling.