SiouxSports.com Forum

Charges against Oshie settled

YaneA

Doesn't really matter anymore, he's a pro athlete.....he can get out of anything now! ;)

The point is that the media rushed out to hang some Sioux athlete and when the charges were dismissed they went ho hum,

nothing here to see folks.

It wasn't just the media, check out the 30 plus pages of people overreacting on this very board. ;)

So he lost his "C" for basically doing nothing....TJ deserved that "C" by his play on the ice and the way he conducted himself off the ice. We are so lucky that he didn't say screw this and Okposo us.

Triouxper was dead-on on this one!

So he lost his "C" for basically doing nothing....TJ deserved that "C" by his play on the ice and the way he conducted himself off the ice. We are so lucky that he didn't say screw this and Okposo us.

Triouxper was dead-on on this one!

This is definitely NOT a debate I want to become involved in, but wasn't there an interview (or quote) where Hakstol said that TJ lost his "A" because he didn't contact the coaching staff immediately after the incident and not because of the incident itself? Or did I just dream that up?

he never had the "c" to lose, that was kaips all year, and for good reason. and as to why tj lost his letter, i'm not sure but that is not something hak would do lightly or without reason. i agree that the media and this forum jumped to conclusions, and i am glad for tj it is resolved. he was one of the good guys and we will all miss him in that sioux sweater this season.

I find it ironic that Herald burried it so far in the newspaper.

I think the burying had more to do with the paper being so embarrassed that it took them so long to discover that the charges were dropped (May!!! I mean, c'mon) than with some kind of conspiracy to downplay it. ;)

I think the burying had more to do with the paper being so embarrassed that it took them so long to discover that the charges were dropped (May!!! I mean, c'mon) than with some kind of conspiracy to downplay it. ;)

First off it is almost July. :D??? The Herald newspaper is a joke; they were falling all over themselves and were in a big hurry to report this story when it happened. So if that story is good enough to put out there when these kids were getting cited by the police so is the story about the charges being dropped. Why isn't that story on the front page?

While I don't have a lot of love for the regular beat writers at the Herald I do think the sports writers at the herald do a great job of covering Sioux hockey and other Sioux sports, but the rest of the paper in my opinion is nothing more than liner for a bird cage, or for wrapping fish. I also know that I am not the only one that feels that way. We get it you love the Grand Forks Herald. Also notice how McFeely hasn't even made a mention of this story either.

There's a difference between charges being dropped and charges being dismissed (not in legal terms but in the way the terms are commonly used). Dismissals usually come as a result of settlement, while charges are usually dropped strictly at the discretion of the DA. Still, Oshie's charge was for Disorderly, I believe, and there is not much, if anything, beneath that which would provide the basis for a compromise. The article uses the word "compromise," but gives no details. In any case, it appears the DA did not have much appetite for his case. The Herald should have given it more attention, but they are not much different from other papers that publish what sells. Questioning the DA's decision to bring the charge if it was too weak to effectively prosecute in the first place might make a story, but they apparently have no appetite to go there.

There's a difference between charges being dropped and charges being dismissed (not in legal terms but in the way the terms are commonly used). Dismissals usually come as a result of settlement, while charges are usually dropped strictly at the discretion of the DA. Still, Oshie's charge was for Disorderly, I believe, and there is not much, if anything, beneath that which would provide the basis for a compromise. The article uses the word "compromise," but gives no details. In any case, it appears the DA did not have much appetite for his case. The Herald should have given it more attention, but they are not much different from other papers that publish what sells. Questioning the DA's decision to bring the charge if it was too weak to effectively prosecute in the first place might make a story, but they apparently have no appetite to go there.

The thing that irritates me is this was a such a big story last winter to the Herald the community, I remember there people asking Hakstol what the heck is going on here? What kind of program is Hakstol running? I even remember some people being upset because the UNH player got an extra game more than Oshie. Like I said before the the Herald was falling all over themselves to get this story out. Ok, fall all over your self to report the rest of the story. I don't care if the charges are acquitted, dropped or dismissed it is still worthy of more than a page 6 story. While some people just love the Herald, I think it is legitimate to have issues with the way that paper is ran.

http://www.legis.nd.gov/cencode/t29.html

click on 29-01. Then scroll to 29-01-16 and 29-01-17. I believe this is the procedure referred to in the Oshie story.

The boys probably cleaned their mess. Probably did it shortly after the 'crime'. This was likely the 'satisfaction'. What a waste of time and money for our judicial system......

I guess they were supposed to let their bladders burst instead. I think Chief Wiggum and his staff should spend more of their time dealing with real crimes. Is there a Gopher Jersey hanging in the Chief's closet? ;)

What a stupid comment. Seriously, find a bathroom. Pissing in an elevator isn't the answer. What would your response be if you found somebody pissing all over your front door? Would you buy the excuse that his bladder was about to burst? My guess is you'd want "Chief Wiggum and his staff" to get involved. ???

The cops in GF would probably love to deal with "real crimes" more often but they are constantly bogged down by the stupid actions of idiot citizens. Put the blame where it belongs.... on Oshie.

First off it is almost July. ???;) The Herald newspaper is a joke; they were falling all over themselves and were in a big hurry to report this story when it happened. So if that story is good enough to put out there when these kids were getting cited by the police so is the story about the charges being dropped. Why isn't that story on the front page?

While I don't have a lot of love for the regular beat writers at the Herald I do think the sports writers at the herald do a great job of covering Sioux hockey and other Sioux sports, but the rest of the paper in my opinion is nothing more than liner for a bird cage, or for wrapping fish. I also know that I am not the only one that feels that way. We get it you love the Grand Forks Herald. Also notice how McFeely hasn't even made a mention of this story either.

I don't love or hate the Herald. I just read it regularly like you and most everyone else on here. I was just trying to add my two cents on why I thought the story got buried. I was not defending anyone. I was not justifying anyone's actions either. Fact is: they were late on the story for whatever reason. So they touched on it and moved on. If they would have dwelled on it, they would have had to explain why they didn't notice the charged were dismissed in a month a go. If they had reported it the day of or the day after the court proceedings in question, the placement would have been different, I believe. I am saying they were embarrassed (and they should be) so they buried it. Do you understand my point now? I am being critical of the paper not supportive.

What a stupid comment. Seriously, find a bathroom. Pissing in an elevator isn't the answer. What would your response be if you found somebody pissing all over your front door? Would you buy the excuse that his bladder was about to burst? My guess is you'd want "Chief Wiggum and his staff" to get involved. ;)

The cops in GF would probably love to deal with "real crimes" more often but they are constantly bogged down by the stupid actions of idiot citizens. Put the blame where it belongs.... on Oshie.

They were trapped in a stuck elevator for over 2 hrs., now I ask you, what would you have done?

What a stupid comment. Seriously, find a bathroom. Pissing in an elevator isn't the answer. What would your response be if you found somebody pissing all over your front door? Would you buy the excuse that his bladder was about to burst? My guess is you'd want "Chief Wiggum and his staff" to get involved. ;)

THEY WERE STUCK IN AN ELEVATOR, finding a bathroom was not an option at the time hence why the charges were dropped. Yes, cops in GF are so busy with stupid citizens getting stuck in elevators and having to pee.