SiouxSports.com Forum

2008-2009 Sioux Hockey Roster

Chuck Schwartz

I'm not sure when actual practice starts, but I work at the ralph and the teams are in pre season right now and they get so much ice time stuff per week. and i know the guys are always in the weight room. I'm not sure if the practices are open to the public. this probably doesn't answer any questions, just a bunch of useless info i bet. oops!

It does tell us that Hockey season is all most here...

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. Believe me, I'm not out to slam hak. I feel very fortunate to have someone of hak's caliber coaching the Sioux. However, I believe that it is also the coaching staffs role to ensure that the team is totally vested before game time. It just seems to me that there is something missing - be it simple motivation, or having a fire in the belly. We know that they have the talent. It just totally kills me to see the Sioux get out played by an Eastern team. Obviously, I need to get a life to get so bent over this. Drop the damn puck already! ???

Do you leave room for the possibility that BC was just better, at least this last year? I have been to the last 4 Frozen Fours, and I felt that the Sioux were the better team than BC in 2006 and 2007, but poor goaltending combined with a few untimely defensive miscues cost the Sioux both games. However, upon reflection, maybe the Sioux were not superior. Clearly, Toews was better than any player on BC, and the same argument could be made about Oshie and a few others. However, even in 2006 and 2007, BC seemed to have better overall team speed, something that past Sioux teams were built on.

This last year, 2008, the difference in speed was very noticeable. It appears that BC and other teams are beating the Sioux at their own game. While the Sioux have gotten bigger and more physical, BC has taken advantage of the rule changes (less obstruction, at least in leagues other than the WCHA) by having quicker and often smaller skilled players. The game last year was probably not a reflection of the difference in talent, but again, a few defensive miscues early and not great goaltending contributed to the game being over before the end of the 1st period. However, it was hard not notice the advantage that BC had in quickness and speed. I saw the same thing from Michigan and Miami (in regionals). They appeared quicker than the WCHA teams.

We like to blast Wisconsin for it's boring defensive style of play which uses physical play and bigger wings and Dmen, but the style of UND, UM and most of the WCHA was pretty similar. Personally, I would like to see the Sioux go back to the style when Blais was there when they had Blake, David Hoogsteen, Jeff Panzer, Curtis Murphy, etc. Speed, superior skating and puck possession skills are the way to win now. Look at the Red Wings in the NHL. BC is the college hockey model of that, and they beat us at our former game. The Sioux need to adapt. They more closely resemble the Lake Superior State teams in the 90's, or even the Sioux teams from the 70's and 80's when Hakstol and Eades played.

I'm not saying that the Sioux don't have good skaters, because they don't get much better than Genoway, Chorney and Toews. You are going to see more and more of those type of players throughout college hockey because the game is changing. If the Sioux do not continue to recruit those type of players, they will have a tough time winning championships IMHO.

I agree. Believe me, I'm not out to slam hak. I feel very fortunate to have someone of hak's caliber coaching the Sioux. However, I believe that it is also the coaching staffs role to ensure that the team is totally vested before game time. It just seems to me that there is something missing - be it simple motivation, or having a fire in the belly. We know that they have the talent. It just totally kills me to see the Sioux get out played by an Eastern team. Obviously, I need to get a life to get so bent over this. Drop the damn puck already! ???

Yep - Eades is too soft, he was as a player too. :lol:

Please think before you write.

When does hockye practice start? Is there a NCAA mandated day like for football?

Also are the practices availible/open to the public like sioux football?

Esox

Full team practice will begin Oct 1st or 2nd (going off past years here, the team usually only has one or two practices in before the Manitoba exhibition game). However, if memory serves correctly, coaches can work with a certain number of players at a time prior to that date.

Full team practice will begin Oct 1st or 2nd (going off past years here, the team usually only has one or two practices in before the Manitoba exhibition game). However, if memory serves correctly, coaches can work with a certain number of players at a time prior to that date.

I know with the women's hockey team, the coach gets 8 hours a week with players during pre-season. I would guess it would be similar for the mens...

^If the 15-pound thing is accurate, I wonder how Evan's speed will be affected. That seems like a lot of weight gained on a not-too-big frame. I'd hate to see his quickness negatively impacted in the name of adding strength.

The Sioux need to ramp up their team speed, and I hoped that Trupp was the new prototype forward. I am tired of the cycling, grinding offense that Hak seems to favor. I want some speed merchants out there who will wear down the opposing defense and start lighting the lamp like the days of old.

^If the 15-pound thing is accurate, I wonder how Evan's speed will be affected. That seems like a lot of weight gained on a not-too-big frame. I'd hate to see his quickness negatively impacted in the name of adding strength.

The Sioux need to ramp up their team speed, and I hoped that Trupp was the new prototype forward. I am tired of the cycling, grinding offense that Hak seems to favor. I want some speed merchants out there who will wear down the opposing defense and start lighting the lamp like the days of old.

Blais ran the same cycling offense with smaller guys. It's just that the guys were so fast that no other team could keep up with them.

I think everyone would like more speed, but I think a good mixture is still needed. Remember, after losing to BC at the Wisconsin regional in the late 90's, Blais decided that we needed to get bigger to counter the gorillas BC had at defense back then. True, the game has changed, and you might want to tweak the mixture, but balance is still not a bad thing. Let's remember we beat the heck out of BC in the regional out in Boston with our big defenseman.

I think everyone would like more speed, but I think a good mixture is still needed. Remember, after losing to BC at the Wisconsin regional in the late 90's, Blais decided that we needed to get bigger to counter the gorillas BC had at defense back then. True, the game has changed, and you might want to tweak the mixture, but balance is still not a bad thing. Let's remember we beat the heck out of BC in the regional out in Boston with our big defenseman.

Speedy forwards and as Woog would put it, "Trees" at defense.

According to insidecollegehockey.com's index of players, today they featured Evan Trupp, and stated he is up to 170 lbs from 155 when he first came in, hope he can stay healthy as i think he will be a major key for this team.

Siouxhockey5

if I remember correctly, didn't Trupp lose a bunch of weight the spring before coming here? .....he might not have put it back on before they weighed last year, and he went up right after?

Ok, first of all, heard of the freshman 15? lol, sorry i just had to crack that joke. And secondly, 15 pounds over a year isn't that bad depending where the weight goes , it's not like it was put on all at once, and it sounds to me like he just made the decision to bulk up. And thirdly, when I saw trupp a couple days before school started, he really didn't look any different, so I would guess there wouldn't be any negative impact.

Ok, first of all, heard of the freshman 15? lol, sorry i just had to crack that joke. And secondly, 15 pounds over a year isn't that bad depending where the weight goes , it's not like it was put on all at once, and it sounds to me like he just made the decision to bulk up. And thirdly, when I saw trupp a couple days before school started, he really didn't look any different, so I would guess there wouldn't be any negative impact.

Maybe he's been taking those male enhancement pills . . .

No because door mats like UAA will still be sitting at the bottom of the league and UND will have at least made the tourney and been to he big dance. Hak will leave under his terms. I think a lot of teams would take UND results, just think the last four season the Sioux finished higher than the Goofs...

Woog was absolutely savaged by UND fans over the years because, although he made the FF more than 40% of the time, and he had a great winning record against UND, he could not win the big one. He recruited and coached multiple Hobey winners, and All-Americans, but over and over, UND fans dismissed him as a failure. UND fans did this, based, more or less, solely on the fact that his contemporary at UND, although he didn't win against the Gophers, and he did not have the number of Hobey's, etc, did in fact win some Championships.

All I can say is, if UND continues with it's Championship drought, all those harsh things said against Woog will also be true against Hak, and other team's fans, like me, will take a great amount of pleasure in pointing this out, probably not here, but on other forums. If in fact, god forbid, MN ever catches up in the number of NCAA Championships, the mocking of UND fans on some forums would become Biblical. Of course, Hak could go on and have a 3 peat, and shut me up, but until he does, he is a Woog without the charm.

Woog was absolutely savaged by UND fans over the years because, although he made the FF more than 40% of the time, and he had a great winning record against UND, he could not win the big one. He recruited and coached multiple Hobey winners, and All-Americans, but over and over, UND fans dismissed him as a failure. UND fans did this, based, more or less, solely on the fact that his contemporary at UND, although he didn't win against the Gophers, and he did not have the number of Hobey's, etc, did in fact win some Championships.

All I can say is, if UND continues with it's Championship drought, all those harsh things said against Woog will also be true against Hak, and other team's fans, like me, will take a great amount of pleasure in pointing this out, probably not here, but on other forums. If in fact, god forbid, MN ever catches up in the number of NCAA Championships, the mocking of UND fans on some forums would become Biblical. Of course, Hak could go on and have a 3 peat, and shut me up, but until he does, he is a Woog without the charm.

I'm not going to debate whether or not this will happen, because I think you're right.

But then again, all of those Minny fans who consider themselves better fans or better people than UND fans will also go the way of the Dodo bird because they'll become just as "bad" as Minny fans accuse UND fans of being.

Consider that.

All the "We take the high road" and don't lower yourselves to the level of those snivelling, whining, arrogant, no good, so and so Sioux fans".... GONE.

So in proving your point, Happy, you'd prove ours: "In NCAA hockey, no fan base is more arrogant than Minnesota's."

why not point it out here :) 7 year drought...........top programs only can look at that as a drought, no doubt about it. probably just a handful of teams can say that being realistic. 23 years for the gophs between titles must been painful as a gopher fan. i cant imagine.

woog=charm :lol:

back on topic

i am very excited to see what these freshman bring to the table. gregoire and toews are my picks to have solid first seasons all around and wcha freshman of the year candidates. will be interesting to see if finehage gets a good deal of playing time with 6 others including ben blood as a frosh as well. the sioux have a good amount of players it seems at forward. another month and it will be game time

I'm not going to debate whether or not this will happen, because I think you're right.

But then again, all of those Minny fans who consider themselves better fans or better people than UND fans will also go the way of the Dodo bird because they'll become just as "bad" as Minny fans accuse UND fans of being.

Consider that.

All the "We take the high road" and don't lower yourselves to the level of those snivelling, whining, arrogant, no good, so and so Sioux fans".... GONE.

So in proving your point, Happy, you'd prove ours: "In NCAA hockey, no fan base is more arrogant than Minnesota's."

Why feed the troll? Happy is just a computer nerd with no life that jumps from message board to message board with his inane comments that are made only to get a reaction.

Why feed the troll? Happy is just a computer nerd with no life that jumps from message board to message board with his inane comments that are made only to get a reaction.

Normally I don't. However, he made a valid point, or at least a point that I very well could see happening.

All I can say is, if UND continues with it's Championship drought, all those harsh things said against Woog will also be true against Hak, ...

I've said that I'm concerned that Hak may be our "Woog". I've noted the eerie similarities in the past.

That said, I don't believe Hak will turn out that way: He'll either win one or step away before 14 seasons come and go.

Woog was absolutely savaged by UND fans over the years because, although he made the FF more than 40% of the time, and he had a great winning record against UND, he could not win the big one.

I don't think he was savaged "because" of that.

I think it was because he was the coach of the goofers. If Mother Theresa had been your coach it would have taken centuries before the Pope would have beatified her.

So far the only thing dissimilar between Hak and Woog is WCHA titles.......

One coach has coached 4 season while the other has coached 14 years. I am not sure one can make the comparison until Hak has coached a little longer.