SiouxSports.com Forum

2008-2009 Sioux Hockey Roster

Chuck Schwartz

I hope you were kidding otherwise you know nothing about hockey and should stick to posting opinions on the basketball threads. While a team doesn't have to have an outstanding goaltender to win a championship, they do need a capable one. I don't care how many or how talented the other positions are, you have to have a goalie to win!

I think the smiley face at the end of his post led me to believe he was kidding. :silly:

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope you were kidding otherwise you know nothing about hockey and should stick to posting opinions on the basketball threads. I don't care how many or how talented the other positions are, you have to have a goalie to win!

So what are you saying...you think they should run 5 forwards and only 1 dman? That might work, but it sounds too risky for my taste.

:silly:

And yes, I was kidding. The offseason must be too long, as the sarcasm meter appears to be broken on this message board. :silly:

The last goalie coach I remember on staff was Jim Nelson, from the early 80's. Has there been anyone since?

Maybe they are holding out until Eddie Belfour quits playing. I think they have a goaltending consultant, but that is different than having someone work with the goaltenders day in and day out. That said, you can't argue with the success of the goalies we've had recently.

Ahhhhhhhh the off season...I love all the different opinions...

It's great Bar Talk...I especially love the Brian Lee talk...Or Greico...

I wonder who this years goat will be...Not that Geico (sp) was a goat last year, but whatever...with the way the forum is going I guess it will be a goalie talk year...

Rich T

Ahhhhhhhh the off season...I love all the different opinions...

It's great Bar Talk...I especially love the Brian Lee talk...Or Greico...

I wonder who this years goat will be...Not that Geico (sp) was a goat last year, but whatever...with the way the forum is going I guess it will be a goalie talk year...

Rich T

I love predicting the team goat. :silly:

I think it will be Eidsness or Finley. Finley has the advantage because he's been the goat before. Veteran status, ya know?

Eidsness will be a choice because he was drafted, therefore he has to be awesome, right?

Walski will inevitably get a pass because he's a "local" boy.

That's my prediction.

I love predicting the team goat. :silly:

I think it will be Eidsness or Finley. Finley has the advantage because he's been the goat before. Veteran status, ya know?

Eidsness will be a choice because he was drafted, therefore he has to be awesome, right?

Walski will inevitably get a pass because he's a "local" boy.

That's my prediction.

Let's see you link to one post saying that Walski should play because he's a "local" boy. Just one.

Get over it already.

Next you'll bring up how Finley will get picked on by the fans. Oh, you already did. :silly:

Let's see you link to one post saying that Walski should play because he's a "local" boy. Just one.

Get over it already.

Next you'll bring up how Finley will get picked on by the fans. Oh, you already did. :silly:

Yeah Redwing_77 lets not be silly the season hasn't started yet so it is hard to really make anyone the whipping boy until at least we have had about 5 games.

Yeah Redwing_77 lets not be silly the season hasn't started yet so it is hard to really make anyone the whipping boy until at least we have had about 5 games.

Rich Thorpe brings it up and I get ripped for it. :silly:

Seriously, I think Brad pulled the posting because I can't find it anymore. there was a comment on Brad Schlossman's blog that stated "The #1 goaltending job is Walski's to lose."

And, historically, I'm right. When's the last time there was a thread ripping on the play of a ND boy wearing Sioux colors? Plenty of Minnesotans and Canadians getting ripped over the years.

And, I am over it, choyt. The question is: Are the other posters over it? This season will tell. Last season some weren't. The season before some weren't... The season before that some weren't... see where it is going?

Seriously, I think Brad pulled the posting because I can't find it anymore. there was a comment on Brad Schlossman's blog that stated "The #1 goaltending job is Walski's to lose."

And, historically, I'm right. When's the last time there was a thread ripping on the play of a ND boy wearing Sioux colors? Plenty of Minnesotans and Canadians getting ripped over the years.

And, I am over it, choyt. The question is: Are the other posters over it? This season will tell. Last season some weren't. The season before some weren't... The season before that some weren't... see where it is going?

im not for the "ripping" of any of our players, but that does not mean they are immune to criticism. also, of course north dakotans are going to take pride in a homegrown product playing for our state's team, which happens to be one of the top in the nation year in and year out. it, once again, doesn't make him immune to criticism, but we may pull for him to succeed a little more than the average sioux. we're all sioux fans, and the majority of us root for all the sioux players, and there is nothing wrong with talking about the team's and/or player's play, good and bad, reguardless of where they are from. that is what this forum is for.

I bring it up only to stir the pot a bit...Not a negative stir, but so that some of the players can prove us wrong...6 weeks before the 07-08 season ended Finley I was sure was all but gone...He looked out of it late and I am actually really happy to have his leadership back in 08-09...

I have only been following The Sioux since 04 but, is Hak in jeopardy of his job if he don't make it past the Frozen Four first game? I have lifelong Sioux Friends that say he could be...

This makes no sence to me, I mean four straight Frozen Fours...Has UND ever done this before? Have we ever had such great talent year after year like we have the last 4??? Just curiuos...

Rich T

I have only been following The Sioux since 04 but, is Hak in jeopardy of his job if he don't make it past the Frozen Four first game? I have lifelong Sioux Friends that say he could be...

Rich T

I have a hard time believing Hak would be fired if he doesn't win a title. I don't think that would I like to see that happen...

I mean we could be a door mat team like UAA... :silly:

I have a hard time believing Hak would be fired if he doesn't win a title. I don't think that would I like to see that happen...

I mean we could be a door mat team like UAA... :silly:

I agree. did coach K get canned at Duke for making it to all those Final Fours with no title? no and neither will Hak. I truly believe that by the time Hak leaves UND he will have 2 or 3 under his belt.

In all fairness, when was the last time a ND player deserved a little ripping? Panzer brothers? No, they were stellar. Marto? No, although he was not a standout, I believe he did at least as good as was expected of him last year. Fylling? I think he caught some grief for not putting up the point totals some expected of him. Massen? He also caught flack for never producing like he did in juniors.

Get off your obsession about how Sioux fans baby the local boys. It is not true as my few examples point out. The real question is what is your main gripe WITH the ND boys?

I agree. did coach K get canned at Duke for making it to all those Final Fours with no title? no and neither will Hak. I truly believe that by the time Hak leaves UND he will have 2 or 3 under his belt.

That's what we thought after Woog went to the Frozen Four in each of his first four years. Nothing's guaranteed. I agree though, no way should he be fired yet.

That's what we thought after Woog went to the Frozen Four in each of his first four years. Nothing's guaranteed. I agree though, no way should he be fired yet.

After Woog's trips to the playoffs and FF's, he followed up with some really bad years, up to the time he was fired. Seemed that it was more a case of the final few poor years than for the lack of a title that got him fired.

Hack is going nowhere until/unless he has several poor years, and, his career thus far can in no way be compared to Woog's prior to the firing.

Every year that Hak fails to solidify a legacy for himself with a National Championship or at least a WCHA title, he will be more heavily scrutinized by people on this message board as well as the University.

Personally I see very little comparison between Hakstol, Woog, or Coach K. He has to win something first. Coach K has National Championships and many ACCs Conf Titles under his belt and an imminent Gold Medal. Wooger dominated the WCHA for several years despite not winning the big prize.

4 straight Frozen Fours is quite an accomplishment, but we still have yet to hang a banner of any kind under Hakstol.

In all fairness, when was the last time a ND player deserved a little ripping? Panzer brothers? No, they were stellar. Marto? No, although he was not a standout, I believe he did at least as good as was expected of him last year. Fylling? I think he caught some grief for not putting up the point totals some expected of him. Massen? He also caught flack for never producing like he did in juniors.

Get off your obsession about how Sioux fans baby the local boys. It is not true as my few examples point out. The real question is what is your main gripe WITH the ND boys?

I agree. I think fans are indiscriminate in ripping or supporting players. For example, Jeff and Jay Panzer, Jason Blake, Robby Bina were all fan favorites, but not anymore than Zach Parise, Jonathan Toews, David Hoogsteen, Ryan Duncan, TJ Oshie or Karl Goehring, to name a few. On the other hand, James Massen got ripped a lot, as did Tim O'Connell his first few years. I consider Brian Lee a local, and he took a lot of grief, mostly because of the lofty expectations coming in. Andy Schneider also had his critics, at least in my section. A few fans constantly ripped him in a very loud and boisterous manner. The fans can be equally hard on non-locals such as Andy Kollar, Aaron Schneekloth, Toby Kvalevog and many others. I frankly don't care where they come from. Although I love to see a few local players, especially if they are successful, many of my favorites are from Canada, Minnesota (both Metro and rural), as well as from Illinois (Justin Duberman, Kevin Spiewak, the Jones brothers), Michigan, or anywhere else that they play hockey with passion and intensity.

After Woog's trips to the playoffs and FF's, he followed up with some really bad years, up to the time he was fired. Seemed that it was more a case of the final few poor years than for the lack of a title that got him fired.

Hack is going nowhere until/unless he has several poor years, and, his career thus far can in no way be compared to Woog's prior to the firing.

What? Their first four years are incredibly similar, four FF's and no titles. How is that not comparable? And it doesn't take a couple bad years to get fired from a program like UND which has such high expectations. If it's year 10 of the Hakstol regime and he's made the NCAA tourney every year but still no title then he should absolutely be fired at that point.

What? Their first four years are incredibly similar, four FF's and no titles. How is that not comparable? And it doesn't take a couple bad years to get fired from a program like UND which has such high expectations. If it's year 10 of the Hakstol regime and he's made the NCAA tourney every year but still no title then he should absolutely be fired at that point.

Here is the difference--Woog coached for 10 more years after those 1st 4 years, for a total of 14 years AND the last two years he had losing seasons. In other words, the program was going south when he was fired. Besides that, he was stubborn in his recruiting, arrogant and not well liked by players (e.g. Ryan Kraft). Woog did not make the tourney every year, so you are comparing apples and oranges. But what the heck, don't let the facts get in the way of your attempt to be a pain in the ass troll.

Here is the difference--Woog coached for 10 more years after those 1st 4 years, for a total of 14 years AND the last two years he had losing seasons. In other words, the program was going south when he was fired. Besides that, he was stubborn in his recruiting, arrogant and not well liked by players (e.g. Ryan Kraft). Woog did not make the tourney every year, so you are comparing apples and oranges. But what the heck, don't let the facts get in the way of your attempt to be a pain in the ass troll.

Give me a break. This just proves that no matter what I say you assume I'm trying to start trouble. I'm just discussing the topic. And yes obviously we can't compare their coaching careers as a whole as Hakstol is just four years in. But through four years they are very similar and I'll I was saying was Gopher fans thought that a national title for Woog was inevitable just like siouxweet seems to think the same for Hakstol as he posted earlier. It obviously never happened for Woog and the same could happen to Hakstol.

Give me a break. This just proves that no matter what I say you assume I'm trying to start trouble. I'm just discussing the topic. And yes obviously we can't compare their coaching careers as a whole as Hakstol is just four years in. But through four years they are very similar and I'll I was saying was Gopher fans thought that a national title for Woog was inevitable just like siouxweet seems to think the same for Hakstol as he posted earlier. It obviously never happened for Woog and the same could happen to Hakstol.

We don't care what gopher fans thought. But we'll be sitting on pins and needles for you to let us know when Hak must go :silly:

Read your original post. You said that if Hak makes it to the tourney every year after 10 years but wins no title, he should "absolutely" be fired according to your words. Now, despite using a poor comparison, you attempt to withdraw from that statement and play the typical "all you Sioux fans are so unfair to me because I'm a Gopher fan." I don't care if you are a Gopher fan or a Sioux fan--if you don't want criticism, then don't make ridiculous and unsupported statements and then cry foul when someone calls you on it. You also have a history here. I probably give you a pass if you were like Sagard.

Read your original post. You said that if Hak makes it to the tourney every year after 10 years but wins no title, he should "absolutely" be fired according to your words. Now, despite using a poor comparison, you attempt to withdraw from that statement and play the typical "all you Sioux fans are so unfair to me because I'm a Gopher fan." I don't care if you are a Gopher fan or a Sioux fan--if you don't want criticism, then don't make ridiculous and unsupported statements and then cry foul when someone calls you on it. You also have a history here. I probably give you a pass if you were like Sagard.

You don't think he should be fired after 10 years of no NCAA titles considering he took over a program that Blais left in great shape? What's happened to your expectations? I think a lot of Sioux fans would agree that that is not a "ridiculous" statement as you put it.

And by the way, lighten up a little.