SiouxSports.com Forum

Chappell Ineligible

captsioux

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahh, nice comment, POLLYANNA! I'm surprised no one else has brought up the point that poor Mussman has been dealing with issues that maybe should have been dealt with during the prior regime. Keep your head buried in the sand if you like to think different.

I also hope that Chappel makes it back as he is heads and shoulders more electrifying than anyone else on the team.

how should it have been dealt with in the prior regime? Chappell became ineligible under Mussman and Stroup was arrested after Lennon left. Lennon could have told Ryan to get help, we don't know this for sure because we weren't there. Stroup may have been talked to about his attitude by Lennon, again we weren't there, so we don't know. Dismissing Stroup didn't come until after all of his arrests, so that is up to Mussman to decide what to do which he did, Lennon didn't need to do that.

I know what Sioux_Yeah_Yeah is saying and on her defense, she does know a lot of the athletes so she would know and it is only a violation of FERPA if you state what their grades are or state their g.p.a by stating that they don't spend much time studying or in class, that is not a violation. Which if we are going with hockey players, most of them take classes in packs so it is not hard to see if one of them does not make it to class if you are in a class with 5 of them.

Unless you've violated HIPPA regulations, you don't know what students' grades are. My 'almost' daughter partied 'hardy' her last year at UND. She could have graduated early but decided to enjoy her fourth year. She graduated with a degree in Chemistry, Magna Cum Laude, 4.0 X's four years, baby!!!. So don't tell me because you see people having too much fun, you KNOW they're not doing well academically. And unless you're able to attend a new class every five minutes, don't expect us to believe that you have classes with all the student athletes!! You don't know who knows what on this board unless they choose to share it, so knock off the CRAP!!

You've been jumping down posters throats pretty regular lately, telling newbies what they can and can't post, telling people not to post something in a thread, they need to go to another thread, telling us ad nauseam how you know EVERYBODY! It's your turn to listen.

Cowboy up!

Actually, it isn't HIPPA in academics. FERPA is what you are referring to.(minor details)

Watch any movie like "Blue Chips" or "The Program", and I believe it is a pretty accurate representation of bigtime college athletes on campus. You will have exceptions who are here to learn AND play hockey/football, etc. For the most part, these kids are here to play sports, get "the ladies" and have fun...I wish I was wrong on this, but I believe that is the general truth. (I'm not trying to generalize here, as there are exceptions to this) I spent a good number of years on campus and out socially back in the day, I know what Sioux Yeah Yeah is talking about. Again, this is my personal opinion.

I have no specific knowledge of the situation, but it's possible he's ineligible because of some of the new DI academic requirements that go into effect for UND student-athletes next year. The one I'm thinking of is the 40/60/80 rule. A DI student-athlete must declare a major by the beginning of his/her third year and must have successfully completed 40% of the required credits for that major by that time, 60% before the beginning of his/her fourth year, and 80% before the fifth. It's possible Chappell has a 2.0 or better GPA(required for third year and beyond) but didn't take enough of the right classes. Of course, it's just as likely that bad grades really were the problem.

Regardless, a director of compliance is needed, and needed fast. These types of situations can often be avoided if someone on staff has knowledge of the NCAA rules and is kept aware of the student-athletes' grades and progress toward degrees.

edit: Oops, I may have made a slight mistake. If Chappell played as a true freshman, he would only need a 1.9 GPA to start the 2008 season. If he redshirted, he would need the 2.0.

I have no specific knowledge of the situation, but it's possible he's ineligible because of some of the new DI academic requirements that go into effect for UND student-athletes next year. The one I'm thinking of is the 40/60/80 rule. A DI student-athlete must declare a major by the beginning of his/her third year and must have successfully completed 40% of the required credits for that major by that time, 60% before the beginning of his/her fourth year, and 80% before the fifth. It's possible Chappell has a 2.0 or better GPA(required for third year and beyond) but didn't take enough of the right classes. Of course, it's just as likely that bad grades really were the problem.

Regardless, a director of compliance is needed, and needed fast. These types of situations can often be avoided if someone on staff has knowledge of the NCAA rules and is kept aware of the student-athletes' grades and progress toward degrees.

Coach Mussman's comments imply (to me) that this wasn't a 40/60/80 infraction.

I stand corrected but the essence of what I posted is unchanged.

It really bugs me when someone/anyone comes on the board and makes sweeping statements about any group of people, i.e. 'all of our athletes in general'. We're discussing TWO athletes here, not all in general. I don't care that you take classes with 'all of them' or have been on campus with 'all of them' for years, unless you have violated HIPPA FERPA rules, there is no way for you to know their academic standing nor should you!

We have many outstanding student athletles who have received honors for their academic work. So to lump 'all of our athletes' in general' with TWO who have messed up pisses me off.

Chappell didn't make it academically for whatever reason. I don't know that reason. I don't have to know that reason. But, as a fan, I can be pissed off that he didn't. I hope he gets the help he needs to get academically ok so he can graduate with a degree in his major of choice and maybe play ball again.

Stroup f#$%&#@ up. I don't know why. There are many reasons a kid from a 'good family' who is an athlete can get into trouble. I truly hope he gets the help he needs.

Do you know who the compliance director is? Not a chance they would be willing to go out of their way to help out the football program. They've got their plate full anyways. Their lame-duck status as "Senior Women's Administrator" and "Co-acting AD" have them very busy right now. :D Have they officially left yet?

I'm not saying Chappell's ineligibility is their fault. Ryan did this to himself. But if you were looking for any help to make some things happen, then you shouldn't have been looking in the direction of our compliance director.

FYI-HIPAA is the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996. It covers health info-not grades-but I know what you meant.

I think that poster was refferring to FERPA. Even parents who pay a student's tuition can't access that student's grades due to FERPA regulations unless the student signs a waiver allowing them to do so.

While I'm disappointed in Chappell, I still believe he's a good kid who will hopefully really buckle down and get his grades in order.

This episode really makes me appreciate Weston Dressler even more--great athlete, great kid AND great student.

Do you know who the compliance director is? Not a chance they would be willing to go out of their way to help out the football program. They've got their plate full anyways. Their lame-duck status as "Senior Women's Administrator" and "Co-acting AD" have them very busy right now. :D Have they officially left yet?

I'm not saying Chappell's ineligibility is their fault. But if you were looking for any help in tweaking the system to make some things happen, then you shouldn't have been looking in the direction of our compliance director.

Yes, a Director of Compliance is needed, but each student is responsible for their own academic future, with or without a Director of Compliance.

Director of Compliance Search: Betty Ralston reported that Brock Thompson has resigned as head soccer coach and is serving as interim Director of Compliance. A new search for a Director of Compliance will be conducted at the end of spring semester.

January IAC

Yes, a Director of Compliance is needed, but each student is responsible for their own academic future, with or without a Director of Compliance.

January IAC

I agree with your statement. However, while I don't know the whole story, and maybe there simply wasn't a better alternative, it seems to me that compliance director may be a little too important of a job to give to a recently-fired soccer coach as part of his "reassignment" until his coaching contract expires in another month or so.

I think that poster was refferring to FERPA. Even parents who pay a student's tuition can't access that student's grades due to FERPA regulations unless the student signs a waiver allowing them to do so.

Wow. This would've saved a lot of ass-kickings had it been in effect when I was a student.

Again, I am not disagreeing with this statement. Go back and reread my post. No doubt that the student-athletes ultimately are held accountable for their own actions and their success in the classroom. That is indisputable.

Again, I am not disagreeing with this statement. Go back and reread my post. No doubt that the student-athletes ultimately are held accountable for their own actions and their success in the classroom. That is indisputable.

Sorry, I was using your post as a frame of reference as to who is Director of Compliance. The statement of personal responsibility is purely mine. I agree with your statement about Ryan doing it to himself.

Actually, it isn't HIPPA in academics. FERPA is what you are referring to.(minor details)

Watch any movie like "Blue Chips" or "The Program", and I believe it is a pretty accurate representation of bigtime college athletes on campus. You will have exceptions who are here to learn AND play hockey/football, etc. For the most part, these kids are here to play sports, get "the ladies" and have fun...I wish I was wrong on this, but I believe that is the general truth. (I'm not trying to generalize here, as there are exceptions to this) I spent a good number of years on campus and out socially back in the day, I know what Sioux Yeah Yeah is talking about. Again, this is my personal opinion.

How many big school D1 athletes do you know and hang with? I find it hard to swallow your generalization. I am not saying your completely off base but I doubt it's as bad as you believe.

I'm not saying Chappell's ineligibility is their fault. Ryan did this to himself. But if you were looking for any help to make some things happen, then you shouldn't have been looking in the direction of our compliance director.

I think I just saw a bus run over Betty..... :D

Sad part is that the Staff tried to help Ryan all they could on this one, Vince is right it falls on his shoulders.

What is the saying...."You can lead a horse to water, but you can not make him drink"

I hope Ryan gets it going, it would be great to have him back in 09.

The football team has study table for those who are not doing well in school and need extra help, in fact you have to have a certain GPA to get off study table and if you skip it is not a nice workout the next day. This falls on his shoulders not the coaches or anyone else. I also know a lot of athletes personally and although there are a few who do not take class too seriously I believe most of them do. I can think of many althetes in the past few years who are doing quite well for themselves as accountants, doctors and lawyers and other professions.

FSC Blog - 21MAY08

*all 18 teams had a team GPA above a 2.7

*63% of our student athletes had a GPA above a 3.0

*47 student athletes had a 4.0 in the spring semester

*the overall student athlete GPA for spring semester was 3.170

*average women's team GPA was 3.330