SiouxSports.com Forum

Chappell Ineligible

captsioux

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not ten credits a year. It's six credits a semester. Division one athletics don't generally go by full school terms but rather semester terms. So end that argument

This whole situation can be summed up in one word: Pathetic!

Again, it's 6 credits a semester AND 18 credits in a regular year(fall + spring; no summer).

Fall: 9 credits + Spring: 9 credits = eligible

Fall: 6 credits + Spring: 12 credits = eligible

Fall: 5 credits + Spring: 15 credits = not eligible

Fall: 8 credits + Spring: 9 credits = not eligible

Plus 24 credits prior to the second academic year(summer counts)

Plus the 40/60/80 rule(completed 40% of your major prior to 3rd academic year, 60% prior to 4th, and 80% prior to 5th; summer school counts)

Plus the GPA requirement(90% of minimum GPA for graduation prior to 2nd year, 95% prior to 3rd year, 100% thereafter; at UND, that's 1.80/1.90/2.00)

Again, it's 6 credits a semester AND 18 credits in a regular year(fall + spring; no summer).

Fall: 9 credits + Spring: 9 credits = eligible

Fall: 6 credits + Spring: 12 credits = eligible

Fall: 5 credits + Spring: 15 credits = not eligible

Fall: 8 credits + Spring: 9 credits = not eligible

Plus 24 credits prior to the second academic year(summer counts)

Plus the 40/60/80 rule(completed 40% of your major prior to 3rd academic year, 60% prior to 4th, and 80% prior to 5th; summer school counts)

Plus the GPA requirement(90% of minimum GPA for graduation prior to 2nd year, 95% prior to 3rd year, 100% thereafter; at UND, that's 1.80/1.90/2.00)

Hammersmith, I know you are a bison fan but I appreciate your insight on this issue (as well as most that you comment on). From a Sioux fan to a Bison fan THANKS!!!

BTW, stupid question: Is his name pronounced like the church or the comedian?

Like the church, YES it IS a stupid question, and "BTW" - if you don't know how to pronouce his name after what he did his first couple years? You don't really belong in the discussion! :lol: (POSER!)

Actually, it isn't HIPPA in academics. FERPA is what you are referring to.(minor details)

Watch any movie like "Blue Chips" or "The Program", and I believe it is a pretty accurate representation of bigtime college athletes on campus. You will have exceptions who are here to learn AND play hockey/football, etc. For the most part, these kids are here to play sports, get "the ladies" and have fun...I wish I was wrong on this, but I believe that is the general truth. (I'm not trying to generalize here, as there are exceptions to this) I spent a good number of years on campus and out socially back in the day, I know what Sioux Yeah Yeah is talking about. Again, this is my personal opinion.

You have obviously never participated in college athletics. Those movies are terrible exaggerations and actually pretty piss poor all around movies. Those movies are as representative of college athletics as the movie "Pirates of the Caribbean" is about sea travel.

• 2 weeks later...

Ineligible Pitt receiver plans to take redshirt season - ESPN

Williams, a former star at Strong Vincent High School in Erie, played in 10 games in 2007, catching five passes for 100 yards and a touchdown.

Williams plans to remain on Pitt's team and take a redshirt season. He would have three seasons of eligibility remaining.

Maybe I am misinterpreting this...Williams played his freshman year and now is going to be a redshirt (1-RS-2-3-4)?

:)

Learn something new everyday...

Ineligible Pitt receiver plans to take redshirt season - ESPN

Maybe I am misinterpreting this...Williams played his freshman year and now is going to be a redshirt (1-RS-2-3-4)?

Learn something new everyday...

I don't understand your post. ??? I thought if you play your freshman year and you haven't played one single minute in your second year, you still have 3 years of eligibility left. Which leaves Williams three years. Correct? Or am I missing something here?

I don't understand your post. ??? I thought if you play your freshman year and you haven't played one single minute in your second year, you still have 3 years of eligibility left. Which leaves Williams three years. Correct? Or am I missing something here?

I don't understand why you don't understand...

...just kidding.

I interpret the article to say that the following scenario will take place for Williams...

2007 Freshman (3 years of eligibility remaining)

2008 Red-Shirt (3 years/No change)

2009 Sophomore (2 years)

2010 Junior (1 year)

2011 Senior (0 years)

My question is why does Williams get to take a redshirt year after he has already played a full season (10 games)? And why doesn't he lose a year of eligibility like Chappell?

Shouldn't it be...

2007 Freshman (3 years of eligibility remaining)

2008 Sophomore/Academically Ineligible (2 years)

2009 Junior (1 years)

2010 Senior (0 year)

I thought (apparently incorrectly) that the redshirt had to be taken first or not at all. Remember this is an academic ineligibility not a medical hardship. Is there a difference in rules between FBS/FCS/DII or those in transition?

On the other hand...Chappell will lose a year of eligibility because of his academic ineligibility.

2005 Redshirt (4 years)

2006 Freshman (3 years)

2007 Sophomore (2 years)

2008 Junior/Academically Ineligible (1 year)

2009 Senior (0 years)

I guess my basic question is how can you take a redshirt year after you have already played a full season?

I guess my basic question is how can you take a redshirt year after you have already played a full season?

I know for certain that you can take a red-shirt season even after your freshman year. Particularly in basketball, I can think of several instances in the past at the major college level at schools like Kentucky where a kid took a red-shirt year after his sophomore or even junior year. Had Chappell not already red-shirted, he would not be losing a year of eligibility.

I know for certain that you can take a red-shirt season even after your freshman year. Particularly in basketball, I can think of several instances in the past at the major college level at schools like Kentucky where a kid took a red-shirt year after his sophomore or even junior year. Had Chappell not already red-shirted, he would not be losing a year of eligibility.

Thanks for the clarification! I had always assumed that the redshirt season had to come first.

Thanks.

Particularly in basketball, I can think of several instances in the past at the major college level at schools like Kentucky where a kid took a red-shirt year after his sophomore or even junior year.

Jeff Sheppard red-shirted in between their national championships in the 90's because of their ridiculous depth at guard. It was either after his sophomore or junior year.

Where's Hammersmith?

Playing LEGO Indiana Jones instead of keeping up with the message boards. :)

You all have hashed most of it out correctly. The only thing I would add is to mention the "five-year rule" that DI has. The difference between Williams and Chappell is when their respective five year clocks started. Since Williams didn't sit out his first year, he still has an extra year to burn. Chappell's five-year clock, on the other hand, will expire after his third playing season. Also remember that redshirt is not an official NCAA term(it only appears once in the 453 pages of the DI manual, and then only in passing). "Redshirting"(in the context of the five-year rule) is only a way to describe that the school and the student-athlete have chosen to use the extra year of eligibility for player development. Doing so can improve the player's abilities, but it puts at risk the player's full four seasons of compitition if something unexpected happens like bad grades or injury(the NCAA generally does't allow a medical hardship waiver for the five-year rule if the student-athlete chose to redshirt or spent a year academically ineligible).

That answer seemed a little over-complicated. Let's try this:

In DI, you have five years to complete four seasons of competition. What you do with the extra year is up to the student and the coach. You can use it for development(redshirting - any year) or hold it in reserve for unexpected situations(injury or grades). Waivers may be granted for circumstances beyond the student's and school's control, but deliberately sitting out a year counts against you.

Examples:

Standard #1

Year 1: redshirt

Year 2: plays

Year 3: plays

Year 4: plays

Year 5: plays

Standard #2

Year 1: plays

Year 5: eligiblity exhausted

Six Year Attempt #1

Year 3: injured in preseason

Year 5: injured in preseason

Year 6: applies for waiver - probably granted - plays

Six Year Attempt #2

Year 1: redshirts

Year 3: injured in preseason

Year 6: applies for waiver - probably denied

Six Year Attempt #3

Year 2: injured in preseason

Year 4: academically ineligibe

Year 6: applies for waiver - probably denied

Six Year Attempt #4

Year 2: parent dies, no money for college

Year 3: still no money

Year 6: applies for waiver - probably granted - plays

You're forgetting one important scenario:

Fiver Year Attempt #5

Year 2: Injured in pre-season

Year 4: Plays

Year 5: suspended from squad for criminal offense

Year 6: applies for exemption- APPROVED- plays

(Disclaimer: The NCAA typically reserves this exemption for Nebraska Cornhuskers, Florida Seminoles, and Miami Hurricanes only)

• 1 month later...