• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Impressive!!

*all 18 teams had a team GPA above a 2.7

*63% of our student athletes had a GPA above a 3.0

*47 student athletes had a 4.0 in the spring semester

*the overall student athlete GPA for spring semester was 3.170

*average women's team GPA was 3.330

So based on that, it's accurate to state the following is WRONG!!

I know that most of them (meaning in all sports) don't spend much time on academics, with a few exceptions, so yes I do know what I'm talking about a little tiny bit more than those of you that don't/haven't go(ne) to school with them.

At the end of a thirteen hour stretch at work, sometimes this comes to mind

I remember when, I remember, I remember when I lost my mind

There was something so pleasant about that phase.

Followed by

It was a one-eyed, one-horned, flyin' purple people eater.

(one-eyed, one-horned, flyin' purple people eater)

A one-eyed one-horned, flyin' purple people eater

Sure looks strange to me. (one eye?)

:D

Nearly everday these lyrics roll through my noggin...

I can't complain but sometimes I still do

Life's been good to me so far

It think about those a great deal also, but I also see a lot of folks and think ...

You drag it around like a ball and chain

You wallow in the guilt; you wallow in the pain

You wave it like a flag; you wear it like a crown

Got your mind in the gutter, bringin' everybody down

Complain about the present and blame it on the past

I'd like to find your inner child and kick its little ...

It think about those a great deal also, but I also see a lot of folks and think ...

You drag it around like a ball and chain

You wallow in the guilt; you wallow in the pain

You wave it like a flag; you wear it like a crown

Got your mind in the gutter, bringin' everybody down

Complain about the present and blame it on the past

I'd like to find your inner child and kick its little ...

I hear that one all the time. One of our local talk shows uses it as their theme song. :D

FSC Blog - 21MAY08

It's been too long since I've used algebra, and I'm way too lazy to figure it out the other way, what ever way that might be...but, If 200 women are pulling a 3.330 collectively, what are the 200 men pulling to drag the overall GPA down to a 2.7? I guess assuming that there are actually 200 women, and 200 men (isn't that what Title IX did?), simple subtraction would mean that the overall men's GPA is 2.07. Not too impressive. Must be a pretty full study table.

It's been too long since I've used algebra, and I'm way too lazy to figure it out the other way, what ever way that might be...but, If 200 women are pulling a 3.330 collectively, what are the 200 men pulling to drag the overall GPA down to a 2.7? I guess assuming that there are actually 200 women, and 200 men (isn't that what Title IX did?), simple subtraction would mean that the overall men's GPA is 2.07. Not too impressive. Must be a pretty full study table.

I read this differently. To me it looks like the lowest team GPA was still above 2.7. The overall GPA was 3.17 as it says in the bold, and not 2.7 as you use. I'm not sure we can extrapolate the men's GPA using the statement about the average women's team GPA with any real accuracy. Does that statement mean that the average GPA for the women was 3.33? Or does it mean that if you took the average GPA for the basketball team plus the volleyball team plus the soccer team, etc for all the women's teams and divided by 10 (the number of women's teams) that you would get 3.33? If we knew how they figured that statement and the number of men and women athletes, then we could get a better estimate of the men's GPA. But my guess is that it is close to 3.0. I base that on an overall of 3.17 and the women's average team having a 3.33.

All 18 teams (including those with male athletes) had a team GPA of 2.7 or greater (think minimum not average).

Thanks for finding and posting this. I remembered it but couldn't find it.

UND has now led the league in selections in each of the three years that the NCC Commissioner's Academic Honor Roll has been in existence.

In order to qualify, student-athletes must have a minimum 3.20 grade point average, have completed at least two semesters at their current school and have competed against outside competition.

It wasnt abotu him failing classes. I heard from a relaible sources he didnt take enough credits. idiot

Think about it gfhockey.....Do you really think that the coaching staff would allow him to not take enough credits? He obviously didn't pass enough.....I believe the number was 10 credits passed for the entire year. gfhockey don't call this young man an idiot your comment made yourself look like an idiot.

Think about it gfhockey.....Do you really think that the coaching staff would allow him to not take enough credits? He obviously didn't pass enough.....I believe the number was 10 credits passed for the entire year. gfhockey don't call this young man an idiot your comment made yourself look like an idiot.

10 credits in an entire year? Boy, that is being all you can be.

Two words: STUDENT athlete

He is a lot of fun to watch, but academics are more important than sports. I'm sure he'll pull it together with the help of tutors and teammates, and we'll see him back on the field next year. I can't wait to see another kickoff/punt return!

Go Sioux

Having to pass 10 credits in a whole year? Hmm....I hope the athletes have a bigger goal than 10 credits in a whole year....

After their first year, student-athletes must complete 18 credits per year and at least 6 per semester. During their first year, they must complete 24 credits. I think the comment was that Chappell only competed 10 of the required 18, but I could easily be wrong.

BTW, stupid question: Is his name pronounced like the church or the comedian?

Having to pass 10 credits in a whole year? Hmm....I hope the athletes have a bigger goal than 10 credits in a whole year....

Ok, I think this horse has been beaten to death. We all know there is nobody to blame but Ryan himself. I think we can stop beating the kid up on a fan message board. Taking shots at physical talent and physical ability is one thing, and publicly reprimanding on this topic is another. I am sure he already feels horrible about this. Not to mention I am sure his family isn't particularly happy with all that has transpired. Sometimes I think a lot of us (myself included), forget the possibilities about who reads our posts.

The real litmus test in all of this is how Ryan responds to this. First and foremost, does he buckle down and try to make this better so that he can eventually graduate with a college degree and play his senior year of football? Or does he kick the dirt and pick up his things and go home? This is the true test for Ryan at this juncture. I hope this lesson learned in the next two years catapults him to better life down the road, no matter what he does in the future.

Good luck, Ryan. We know you will rebound.

Ok, I think this horse has been beaten to death. We all know there is nobody to blame but Ryan himself. I think we can stop beating the kid up on a fan message board. Taking shots at physical talent and physical ability is one thing, and publicly reprimanding on this topic is another. I am sure he already feels horrible about this already. Not to mention I am sure his family isn't particularly happy with all that has transpired. Sometimes I think a lot of us (myself included), forget the possibilities about who reads our posts.

The real litmus test in all of this is how Ryan responds to this. First and foremost, does he buckle down and try to make this better so that he can eventually graduate with a college degree and play his senior year of football? Or does he kick the dirt and pick up things and go home? This is the true test for Ryan at this juncture. I hope this lesson learned in the next two years catapults him to better life down the road, no matter what he does in the future.

Excellent post!

Ok, I think this horse has been beaten to death. We all know there is nobody to blame but Ryan himself. I think we can stop beating the kid up on a fan message board. Taking shots at physical talent and physical ability is one thing, and publicly reprimanding on this topic is another. I am sure he already feels horrible about this. Not to mention I am sure his family isn't particularly happy with all that has transpired. Sometimes I think a lot of us (myself included), forget the possibilities about who reads our posts.

The real litmus test in all of this is how Ryan responds to this. First and foremost, does he buckle down and try to make this better so that he can eventually graduate with a college degree and play his senior year of football? Or does he kick the dirt and pick up his things and go home? This is the true test for Ryan at this juncture. I hope this lesson learned in the next two years catapults him to better life down the road, no matter what he does in the future.

Good post. GENERAL STATEMENT: Please keep in mind that Ryan is part of the Fighting Sioux family. While we can all be disappointed, now is the time to be supportive to him and his family. We can speculate all day as to why he wasn't getting it done in the classroom but in the end it doesn't matter much what we all think. What is important, is that Ryan needs to make the decision, with help from others, to pick himself up and get back on track. Maybe that will include football, maybe not. My hope is that he is able to get a degree and learn from all of this. He is not a bad person, he is just going through some things that unfortunatly has put him in the public eye. Our role models sometimes are human.

No need to fret. I just thought it was weird that they needed only had to pass 10 credits to play a year, I wasn't bashing the kid, I just thought that wasn't a very high goal.....

Get real. Do you really think that was his goal? I think his goal was to be eligible, in which case the appropriate credits required would be his objective.