SiouxSports.com Forum

Oshie, Vandevelde trouble

gfhockey

Just Curious.....if a bunch of students from West Hall Dorm are loud with a party, does it make the newspaper? Or a bunch of med school students living in an apartment off campus get their names in the paper if they are having a party? Just curious.Maybe the GF police are never able to make it to Fan Night at the REA and wanted an autograph from these players on the ticket they sign. :)

Are any of those students getting full scholarships, paid for by alumni like me who donate to the Univeristy, to represent the University in National competition? If they are, then yes, their names should also appear in the paper.

I know its important to come to the hockey board with blinders on but isn't anyone here concerned about a young man who makes 3 bad decisions regarding alcohol in about a year? I know each incident is different but, talk about bad luck, do we really believe there isn't something more to this story?

Just an opinion on my part but the Karma isn't good.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's unreal how the police department and the media want to try and ruin these kids. They are college students. They have given everything they have in their bodies to the University of North Dakota. WDAZ has tried to ruin the lives of these young men. Maybe we should discuss the affair / romance of Cassie Walder and Pat Sweeney. In fact, maybe we should make a thread about it as well. WDAZ is a joke. We should all go to The Highlander bar on Tuesday nights to visit Cassie and her bi friends and broadcast her actions.

1.) I like the highlander! :) ....2.) leave gay people out of it.... :)

The Goofs at the Blarney Stone, to my knowledge, were not cited by Minneapolis PD.

The season was done!!! These guys are now just college kids having a good time until next fall. Would it be different if they were celebrating number 8 with a loud party?? People on this board would come unglued if they were cited under that circumstance.

I thought the expose on the Goofs at the Blarney was stupid too. Big deal. I hope the producers of that shocking, peabody worthy story feel really great about themselves. Next years expose...statutory rape after the Prom. 16, 17 and 18 year olds engaging in illegal sexual activity.

Are these people just worried that some people might be having too much fun?

To TJ, Taylor and Chris: Keep living it up...without a doubt this is the best, most care free time of your life. You have your 30's-90's to be responsible. Thanks for working hard on the ice and entertaining us. Enjoy your summer.

Fine, and he doesn't have any respect for these people on this board. The kids don't read this board because it's people who never played the game, computer geeks and hockey wannabees. Practically every kid in college drinks. I'm sure you do too. But, to continually bash the players is a joke.

Making a comment directed to all people on this board when u are angry at a few? I played hockey for a lot of my life, and I was quite good, I just don't play it in college. I do drink, but the thing is I do it in moderation and not very often, I do agree it isn't right to bash the players, but there is a huge lack of discipline in the UND hockey program the past few years, whether it is a respect issue with the coaches or a immaturity issue with the players, I have no clue. I do know though that something has to be done about the way some of these kids act, they are stars is GF, they will be followed by media, and most of them will be followed by media for the rest of their lives, it may be sick but that is how it is.

I never remember this many issues with players when Blais was coach...who knows though if Blais would've done any better with the players Hakstol has.

Making a comment directed to all people on this board when u are angry at a few? I played hockey for a lot of my life, and I was quite good, I just don't play it in college. I do drink, but the thing is I do it in moderation and not very often, I do agree it isn't right to bash the players, but there is a huge lack of discipline in the UND hockey program the past few years, whether it is a respect issue with the coaches or a immaturity issue with the players, I have no clue. I do know though that something has to be done about the way some of these kids act, they are stars is GF, they will be followed by media, and most of them will be followed by media for the rest of their lives, it may be sick but that is how it is.

I never remember this many issues with players when Blais was coach...who knows though if Blais would've done any better with the players Hakstol has.

I love comments like this. I played hockey "and I was quite good." How so? In who's opinion?

Why is this a qualifier for commenting on hockey? I'm not Canadian and I never played hockey. I guess that means I am not "qualified" to comment? How asinine!

I'd understand the comment if we were talking strategy or the role of a position... you know, stuff a hockey player would know better than a fan. However, I'll be damned if someone is going to tell me to shut up because I've never played. I'm a fan. I live and breath Sioux hockey. I love hockey (even Wild hockey...despite it being boring and the team sucking...usually). Why can't I speak of my passion?

It would make things easier though... Only current military members who are serving in Iraq or have served in Iraq should be allowed to comment on the war. The rest of us should just shut up about it. Yeah, I like that idea. :)

I love comments like this. I played hockey "and I was quite good." How so? In who's opinion?

Why is this a qualifier for commenting on hockey? I'm not Canadian and I never played hockey. I guess that means I am not "qualified" to comment? How asinine!

I'd understand the comment if we were talking strategy or the role of a position... you know, stuff a hockey player would know better than a fan. However, I'll be damned if someone is going to tell me to shut up because I've never played. I'm a fan. I live and breath Sioux hockey. I love hockey (even Wild hockey...despite it being boring and the team sucking...usually). Why can't I speak of my passion?

It would make things easier though... Only current military members who are serving in Iraq or have served in Iraq should be allowed to comment on the war. The rest of us should just shut up about it. Yeah, I like that idea. :)

I was replying to a comment posted by camas hawk he said it's people who never played the game, computer geeks and hockey wannabees. he was talking about people who posted on the board. I was standing up for the posters of this board stating not everyone is ignorant about hockey, whether fan or someone who has played, after I read it, I did not word it correctly. As for being quite good, coaches and players from all teams told me this, I am not gloating, so I apologize if it sounded like it. I never once in my post told you or anyone to shut up, I do not know everything about hockey, and can always learn from other people, fan and player or former player alike.

You totally misunderstood my post. I was feeling the exact same way, but I am exhausted and was unable to put together the proper words to make a good point.

Considering how they played in Denver, they should have been arrested in Colorado. :)

I was going to post something but instead ....

[shuts mouth]

[pulls hands from keyboard]

[refuses to publicly rumor-monger claims overheard in Colorado]

[ends post]

When our coaches are recruiting players, they look for things beyond just ability, that being work ethic and loyalty. Our hockey players do many good things around the community that doesn't always get publicized. People need to look at the fact that these are college kids. I used to live in a fraternity and we partied as hard as anyone, but we also did many community service events and that type of stuff doesn't always get aknowledged. I don't think this is any different, these are college kids and they are going to go out and party and have fun and anyone that doesn't think so is being delusional.

This is not meant as a slamb; I wonder if any of this has to do with the kids getting younger and younger in the WCHA?

I am sure there are other programs that have many of the same issues, I remember B.C. and some of the other HE programs having issues with players. Heck one of the HE coaches got arrested for a DUI in the Mass. I think the fact that Grand Forks is so small makes this stuff come out in the media more because there is nothing going on and everyone know everyone.

Maybe this situation had to do with the time the team arrived back to Grand Forks. Starting a party(or whatever it was) at four in the morning might be an indication why this happened. Also do we know if it was a party? My roomates and I got a loud noise violation because our neighbors could hear our TV.

Here's an idea. After getting your &*&^ handed to you 12 hours before, go home and get some sleep and reflect on the game. Life's a big party for TJ. I think there is a pattern developing here. GROW UP TJ. Life won't get an easier in St Louis.

Reflect on the game? Why so they make sure they bring their "A" game 6 months from now?

I talked to some guys at the REA who said they talked to some of the players and they all got back late to Grand Forks and just started drinking(whole team) till about noon that day and then all slept and went to a players meeting and then proceded to start drinking again. They are college kids, who drink. Whats new and whats the big deal?

Quite frankly, I don't think we should be all that surprised. How can you ask your players to exhibit class and acceptable behavior when your own coach can't. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I long for the days of Dean Blais.

I've been trying to have a discussion around getting rid of the high break out and ending the cycle offense, but all everyone seems to want to talk about is a college party and the condemnation of a bunch of 18-23 year-olds (and Robbie :) ) and the lambasting of a coach who took his team to their fourth frozen four in four years. Anyone want to talk HOCKEY. I put my thoughts out on the thread around reloading earlier today.

I've been trying to have a discussion around getting rid of the high break out and ending the cycle offense, but all everyone seems to want to talk about is a college party and the condemnation of a bunch of 18-23 year-olds (and Robbie :) ) and the lambasting of a coach who took his team to their fourth frozen four in four years. Anyone want to talk HOCKEY. I put my thoughts out on the thread around reloading earlier today.

If you read the various sites around the blog sphere you would have thought UND finished behind the Goofs and Wisconsin.

Apparently finishing 3rd nationally isn't considered good anymore. UND has finished 2nd, 3rd, 3rd and 3rd the last four seasons.

Last time I checked that is better that most of the teams in the WCHA; except DU 2005 and Wisconsin's 2006 NCAA titles. Yeah they suck don't they? :)

I think UND needs to get back to the style of play that got them the last two NCAA titles, RACE HORSE HOCKEY.

Enough of this Neutral Zone Trap and defensive systems crap that we played through most of the second half of the season...

It was race horse hockey that won it for us in 1987, 1997 and 2000. We played race horse hockey in 2002-2003 and 2003-2004 with Parise, Bucks etc. I think that when we lost to Denver in 2003-2004 something changed (obviously Blaiser left), and a different style was brought forth. We've had success since, mostly due to personnel (Toews, Oshie, Stafford, Zajac, etc), but there was a definitive change in style. Hak probably recognized something. I mean Denver didn't run and gun back then and they won 2 in a row, Wisconsin won one playing the most nauseating hockey imagineable.

I'm with you goon. I would way rather lose like we did in the 2003-2004 Final 5 (even to those same Gophs) if the style was the style we played then True Sioux Hockey. That game, in my opinion was one of the best college hockey games ever played.