SiouxSports.com Forum

Dave Hakstol on PA and Dubay

Big A HG

Coach Hakstol was on PA and Dubay this morning, here is my best rendition of what was said. I managed to get most of it and give a general idea of what was said, but sometimes they talk fast, haha. Enjoy...

--------------------

How was the path to get to the Frozen Four and how are the arrangements coming?

Well, yeah, all the arrangements are the easy part, being able to escape was a little tougher. Now the road is pretty smooth and hopefully we'll get out there next Tuesday and get a good routine going.

Things have worked out well. Staying at the same hotel as last year and earlier this year...let's us concentrate more. Nice to go into familiar surroundings.

Mankato/Wisconsin topic:

Wisconsin played EXTREMELY well, just watching their game against Denver and they got better and better throughout the gamer. Got sharper throughout and played extremely well against us and we were fortunate to get through the first 30 minutes of the game and couldn't counteract what they were doing and couldn't burst that bubble. We hung on and our first goal really turned us around and made the difference.

3rd straight year against BC:

Well, they are a little different, however the different names and pieces don't change the way they play. They keep teams off balance with their speed. Petrecki is the guy that brings the physcical presence that Boyle had. I don't like to compare with the other teams they had. The team that plays the best will win 9 out of 10 so we have to bring our best.

About UND's team:

We knew coming into the year that we needed to score coming into this year. Our forwards all had to chip in and our blue-line has to have some consistent production. For the most part on any night we've won we've had that production. Chay Genoway came into his own and played great, Bina has played great, Chorney also. Even Joe Finley has pitched in a bit.

About players coming back:

It says that the players have a lot of respect for the program and it means something to them and they become a part of the program. It speaks aobut the culture of the program. I don't want to call them kids, they are great young men. They fought through all the struggles this year but it's a fun group to work with. Even in tougher times, this team has been a real good group to have a chance to work with for the year. It's been a lot of fun.

On how excited the fanbase is:

I think the last one who leaves town should turn off the lights. We'll have great support, like we do all around the country. It's been pretty amazing and we'll have a nice contingent going to Denver.

Anything we can take from the BC game in fall:

I look at both teams to be able to draw something, but you can't take too much. Both teams are significantly different right now, except for the personnel. I'll look at the past few months that they've played.

On how the team is different from before Christmas to after:

It's been a steady progression with this team. With other teams we just flipped the switch and we started winning. The work ethic on this team has been good all year. Only two or three nights this year we haven't played well. A lot of struggles had to do with our schedule. Even when outside the WCHA we were playing good teams. When we made mistakes we didn't win. Saturday night against UNH allowed us to look back on the weekend and say we played 113 minutes of good hockey. Against St. Cloud we played real well and lost and were able to say we were so close, then we won Saturday night and could see the difference.

On JPL at regionals:

At this time of the year goaltending is so big. Dean Blais joked back in the day that they shouldn't call it hockey this time of year, they should call it goalie. Goaltending and specialty teams play a huge roll this time of year, especially with the tournament.

On JPar in Milwaukee:

JPar was the reason we were there, and that game was just the way things go. You can't control a lot of things, but leave it all on the ice...was something JPL said that after this weekend.

Challenges as a coach in single elimination:

It's like a 7 game series, but it's game 7 every game. It's important to know your opponent and prepare for their weaknesses, not sure if BC has any, but that's what we are trying to do and we'll continue doing that to next week.

Good luck Dave

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks adam

just listened to the podcast, nice interview. just great that haks on the show this time of the year!! very solid interview by pa and dubay

Yep, PA did a pretty good job interviewing Hak even thought I am not sure he knows what a hockey stick is for.

I wonder if Puffy was behaving himself because he didn't say his ussual Finley and Zajac are hacks :)

It listened two it twice and it was a nice interview and no bulletin board material.

Yep, PA did a pretty good job interviewing Hak even thought I am not sure he knows what a hockey stick is for.

I wonder if Puffy was behaving himself because he didn't say his ussual Finley and Zajac are hacks :)

It listened two it twice and it was a nice interview and no bulletin board material.

I imagine Dubay was biting his tongue, hard,when Coach Hakstol mentioned Big Joe. After his public rant of " Joe Finley

$ucks " following the Final Five games he pretty much lost my respect. What an air bag! Personally, I'ld prefer he not

pretend to support the Sioux .......he's bad JuJu. Thursday can't come soon enough.......GO SIOUX!

That's what I took it to mean, yes. Hak is tough to read at times, but I'm sure at least a part of him saying that was a low point referred to that incident.

I thought Hakstol was using those games not as a low point, but a turning point because they played well the whole weekend except for a couple minutes, which of course cost them the Saturday game. Funny Dubay didn't mention how shocked he is that the Sioux are in the Frozen Four, because they really aren't that good. :)

I thought Hakstol was using those games not as a low point, but a turning point because they played well the whole weekend except for a couple minutes, which of course cost them the Saturday game. Funny Dubay didn't mention how shocked he is that the Sioux are in the Frozen Four, because they really aren't that good. :)

Yeah funny how UND was good but not a Frozen Four team this season, they don't have the high end talent this season. :)

i've said it before, dubay is a complete tool. everytime i see him or gorgo on fsn, i mute it. i agree with the previous poster, that hak was talking about giving up two multi goal leads in the third, not an elevator incident :) im sure it kills puffy that the sioux are in the frozen four, again, and his boys playing with themselves in their dorms wondering what it is like to be a real team :) love to hate the goofs. half my family on my fathers side is in the tc area, so it is fun back and forth. the goofs will be back to form next season, especially with kangas in net, but for now it is on to #8!!! go sioux!!!!!

i've said it before, dubay is a complete tool. everytime i see him or gorgo on fsn, i mute it. i agree with the previous poster, that hak was talking about giving up two multi goal leads in the third, not an elevator incident :) im sure it kills puffy that the sioux are in the frozen four, again, and his boys playing with themselves in their dorms wondering what it is like to be a real team :) love to hate the goofs. half my family on my fathers side is in the tc area, so it is fun back and forth. the goofs will be back to form next season, especially with kangas in net, but for now it is on to #8!!! go sioux!!!!!

I thought it was apparent that Hak was talking about the weekend of hockey where the Sioux played 113 minutes of great hockey against UNH and lost the second game of the series 7-3.

If you listen to PA and Dubay on a regular basis, Lucia basically already laid the excuse for next season if they aren't winning the league title and making a run at the NCAA title. During last weeks interview (I am paraphrassing) with PA and Dubay tDon basically said that this next years team will be good but there really isn't any top of the top recruits.

If you listen to PA and Dubay on a regular basis, Lucia basically already laid the excuse for next season if they aren't winning the league title and making a run at the NCAA title. During last weeks interview (I am paraphrassing) with PA and Dubay tDon basically said that this next years team will be good but there really isn't any top of the top recruits.

You'd mock Lucia if he said they were going to finish top of the league, so I'm guessing he probably couldn't win with you. :)

Why do so many people who seemingly have such a strong dislike for Dubay still listen to his show? I really don't understand. When he says UND sucks, people complain and call him a homer. When he says UND is awesome, people complain and call him a liar. What's the deal?

You'd mock Lucia if he said they were going to finish top of the league, so I'm guessing he probably couldn't win with you. :)

:) What's your point?

We have 6 months of offseason coming up in just 7 short days. Mocking Lucia, Eaves, and Gwozdecky is a primary offseason sport. And its way easier than golf.

I could give a flying "F" what he says I am just passing it out there. I have noticed that Lucia should be on a campaign he does a really good job of spinning things.

:) What's your point?

We have 6 months of offseason coming up in just 7 short days. Mocking Lucia, Eaves, and Gwozdecky is a primary offseason sport. And its way easier than golf.

I guess it would matter on what you call golf. :(:) I call it riding a cart or walking around chasing a white ball and yelling $%^&^% each time after I hit the ball... :D

I guess it would matter on what you call golf. :(:) I call it riding a cart or walking around chasing a white ball and yelling $%^&^% each time after I hit the ball... :D

With blizzard like conditions in Fargo today, won't be calling anything golf around here for a while! :)

With blizzard like conditions in Fargo today, won't be calling anything golf around here for a while! :)

We don't even had snow up here in Grand Forks, I hope it doesn't make its way up here. :)

I just looked at the radar and we lucked out it appears because then I called my buddy in Fargo and they have about 2 inches of snow. I don't know how we got so lucky? Golf will be here soon enough.

I just looked at the radar and we lucked out it appears because then I called my buddy in Fargo and they have about 2 inches of snow. I don't know how we got so lucky? Golf will be here soon enough.

Let me know when courses open and we'll come north to play :):) ?