SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX vs ST. CLOUD

AZSIOUX

great lapoint picture

309undhockey1.jpg

Looks like Roe is diving for the call there. Too bad he didn't get it. :silly:

I think that Kozek is the most improved player from last year, with VV right behind him. Martens has certainly stepped up his play, but he hasn't contributed offensively as much as those other two.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Goon- I'll have you know that Sioux-cia knew who I was right when I walked up! :D As for golfing, HAH! I'll bet you a beer that you'll golf better than I will! :D

Other things of note:

1. Martens has improved a TON, but sorry, I have to give the Most Improved Player Award to Kozek this year. After last season, people were clamoring about how this kid could be regarded highly after two very underwhelming seasons at UND. This year he came to the rink and simply lit it up. On an individual game note, say what you will about Oshie, but Kozek threw the team on his back against DU in the greatest comeback game I've seen in quite some time.

2. LaPoint is laying out GARRET ROE. He did take the body quite a bit this weekend. I was impressed. I was also impressed with the pass he made to Watkins for Goal #2. I actually thought it was a shot on goal. Morley (whose eyesight is much better than mine) corrected me. Thanks to him.

Sioux-cia: Whatever happened to Hockeymom?

We'll agree to disagree. When some NHL team has your draft rights, you have talent and skill. Kozek is just starting to use that talent and skill. Martens didn't even figure to be an every night player and he has turned into one of most versatile forwards. You plug Martens in and let him go. Dependable and solid. I love what Kozek brings every night this year but frankly he should have brought it earlier in his career. He is the player today that he should/could have been last year.

We'll agree to disagree. When some NHL team has your draft rights, you have talent and skill. Kozek is just starting to use that talent and skill. Martens didn't even figure to be an every night player and he has turned into one of most versatile forwards. You plug Martens in and let him go. Dependable and solid. I love what Kozek brings every night this year but frankly he should have brought it earlier in his career. He is the player today that he should/could have been last year.

I completely agree with your analysis of Martens and Kozek, except I think you're saying "Most Improved" when you're really talking about who is living up to, or exceeding expectations.

Martens is definitely playing beyond expectations, but Kozek seems to be the most improved. That is to say, finally living up to expectations.

I have not been a vocal critic of LaPointe, but I haven't necessarily felt that he has showed anything beyond being a freshman. Not bad - just a freshman with some good potential. I have to say that after this weekend I am very encouraged that he is maybe moving beyond being a freshman. He had a pretty good night on Friday and a very solid night last night. Good time to start coming into your own.

Not playing every night is going to delay his transition time to D1 hockeyball.

Sioux-cia: Whatever happened to Hockeymom?

I'm not sure. I guess she didn't get tickets! I really enjoy meeting SS.com members. It's nice to be able to put a face to a 'user' name. I was hoping to meet Goon and take him up on that offer of a rifle though. Just kiddin', I'm moving back to civilization very soon and leaving the wild animals behind.

As for most improved, Andrew Kozek, hands down. That kid has gotten so much better on the ice. His skills and talent are amazing. He's a great kid, too. I don't know if many of you who go to the games have noticed but after every warm up, Andrew collects a bunch of pucks and throws them into the stands to the kids who are waiting/hoping to catch a stray puck or two. He's better than ok in my book!

102_0041.jpg

I completely agree with your analysis of Martens and Kozek, except I think you're saying "Most Improved" when you're really talking about who is living up to, or exceeding expectations.

Martens is definitely playing beyond expectations, but Kozek seems to be the most improved. That is to say, finally living up to expectations.

Exactly. Martens is playing beyond what any Sioux fan thought he would do this season and Kozek is playing the way many Sioux fans thought he ought to be playing this season. Play up to your talent and playing beyond expectations are 2 different things. Bottom line: Both have been outstanding!!

Goon- I'll have you know that Sioux-cia knew who I was right when I walked up! :p As for golfing, HAH! I'll bet you a beer that you'll golf better than I will! :D

I guess I was expecting to see a guy in a redwings jersey? :D

I'm not sure. I guess she didn't get tickets! I really enjoy meeting SS.com members. It's nice to be able to put a face to a 'user' name. I was hoping to meet Goon and take him up on that offer of a rifle though. Just kiddin', I'm moving back to civilization very soon and leaving the wild animals behind.

As for most improved, Andrew Kozek, hands down. That kid has gotten so much better on the ice. His skills and talent are amazing. He's a great kid, too. I don't know if many of you who go to the games have noticed but after every warm up, Andrew collects a bunch of pucks and throws them into the stands to the kids who are waiting/hoping to catch a stray puck or two. He's better than ok in my book!

My buddies and I noticed that two. He did that on both ends of side of the rink the Sioux warm up on too. He also high fives everyone when exiting the ice after warm ups. He even reached his stick up so that a kid who couldn't get close enough for a high five could at least get some acknowledgment by Andrew.

What a likable person.

Martens has been solid, though.

As far as what game we would play at the Final Five, our game should be locked in. Unless CC does not make the tournament and UND then becomes the #1 seed that is the only instance I can think of that would change our game time. There is no longer the "Minnesota rule" which automatically has them play the Friday night game. It all depends solely on the bracketing.

As far as what game we would play at the Final Five, our game should be locked in. Unless CC does not make the tournament and UND then becomes the #1 seed that is the only instance I can think of that would change our game time. There is no longer the "Minnesota rule" which automatically has them play the Friday night game. It all depends solely on the bracketing.

The "Minnesota rule" only goes out the window if they pull off the upset. Let's not quite rule that out yet.

Did you see anything published about the "Minn Rule" going away? I didn't.

It would highly unlikely the #7 team could move up to 3rd after round one, which is what would need to happen to push the 2 vs 3 game on Friday to the evening instead of the afternoon.

I still think there is a "Minn Rule" at the F5 - it just won't be needed this year.

We will be playing Denver or MSUM or SCSU on Friday afternoon.

I know that there were some guys sick and we've got others with injury (both in and out of the line up), but things didn't look all that great last night. We're really going to have to suck it up and some of the "un-sungs" are going to have to step up and balance some of the offense out down the stretch.

We are having a real hard time generating goals. There were lots of chances last night (and on Friday night as well), but we're really having a very hard time finishing these. Some of these chances were unbelievably blatent. We've been teasing the goof fans about how few goals the goof team has been scoring, but since the 2nd game of the Bemidji series we've had the same problem. The difference is our defense and JPL are solid, but we're going to need some goals to keep this run going.

I was very impressed with how Martins stepped up and played really well with Kozek and Duncs when TJ went out. He did not look out of place at all on that line and like others have said, he is probably the most improved player on the team right now. He's had a terrific second half. Zajac looked OK on that line when he was with them, but did not inspire near the confidence that Martins did. (Question - Hak said something in the post game last night about only having 3 centermen on the ice after TJ left - any of the guys left - Davidson, Forney - centermen?)

I have not been a vocal critic of LaPointe, but I haven't necessarily felt that he has showed anything beyond being a freshman. Not bad - just a freshman with some good potential. I have to say that after this weekend I am very encouraged that he is maybe moving beyond being a freshman. He had a pretty good night on Friday and a very solid night last night. Good time to start coming into your own.

We definately have the talent and heart to take the 8th, but we still have some work to do before we get to the dance. I guess it's a good thing to have some of these "blips" show up now instead of during the playoffs while we still have some time to work out the kinks.

Vs. SCSU, Lapoint > Marto, no question about it.

As pointed out (but missed?) in a post earlier in this thread. I'd have to go with Vande Velde(14g 15a) as being the most improved from last year. Kozek sure has been solid for us this year, especially after being moved to the top line. Vande has consistently been a contributor this year regardless of where he's been, and this last weekend, his line w/ Kaip and Watkins was the best on the ice for either team.

Now, if your just going on most improved within the current season, then you can bring up the Martens/Kozek debate. :D

Well, the Sioux are still unbeaten going into the playoffs. The best outcome for both teams was two ties. However, we wanted one more point so we could take care of the goofers in the first round. As it sits now, we have to take care of the Badgers and then most likely see the goofers in the play-in game at the Final 5. We own Wisconsin.

Nothing is locked in until the first round of the playoffs this coming weekend. You're going to mention the possibility of CC getting upset by the #10 seed yet the Sioux advancing over Michigan Tech is 'in the bag.'?

If Minnesota finnagles their way in and either avoids the Thursday play-in game or wins it, they will be playing at 7:05 pm Friday night.

Well, the Sioux are still unbeaten going into the playoffs. The best outcome for both teams was two ties. However, we wanted one more point so we could take care of the goofers in the first round. As it sits now, we have to take care of the Badgers and then most likely see the goofers in the play-in game at the Final 5. We own Wisconsin.

I was almost hoping SC would win Saturday night so that they could send the Gophers packing. No more "Gopher rejects" chants by Minny fans...would be nice to hear some "season's over" chants from someone knocking out Goldy.