SiouxSports.com Forum

PCM coaches show

sprig

From what I have noticed, the only time Miller puts any effort into his play is when he is on the top line. When he is down on the third or fourth he has no energy or willingness to fight for the puck.

And I would say that is marginal. Just not real aggressive and looks like a misfit when paired on the same line as Oshie. At least Kozek will get after it!!

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been very impressed with his play. He'll be a good one.

I admit I didn't have a high expectation of Marto when the season started. I presumed all the high praise before play started was because he was a hometown kid. I agree with Whistler that Marto's exceeded my expectations. I, too, think he's a keeper and will become a force on the blueline.

And I would say that is marginal. Just not real aggressive and looks like a misfit when paired on the same line as Oshie. At least Kozek will get after it!!

kozek also opens the ice up for tj and duncan with the way he hits and how physical he is

The argument of who is best or inconsistent gets old sometimes as it doesn't take into consideration who may have been nursing an injury for all or part of the season. I would rather have Hak say that a certain player earned his way into the lineup this week than have him reveal that another player was left behind to try and heal. Think back to last season when most of you were unaware that Oshie played most of the season with a thumb that was so badly broken it could have required surgery.

The argument of who is best or inconsistent gets old sometimes as it doesn't take into consideration who may have been nursing an injury for all or part of the season. I would rather have Hak say that a certain player earned his way into the lineup this week than have him reveal that another player was left behind to try and heal. Think back to last season when most of you were unaware that Oshie played most of the season with a thumb that was so badly broken it could have required surgery.

And it's absolutely understandable that players will have ups and downs for the whole season. Hopefully all the downs aren't at the same time, but that the whole team in on an up for the playoffs.

LaPoint has all the makings of being a great all-around defenseman.

He's a great passer, a smart shooter, and thinks the right way on defense. He knows that defense comes first with his position and keeps it his priority when playing offense. After he puts on weight, he will be a beast and his shot will get better than it already is. He is perfect at doing the 6-12 inch shot on net (and gets it there) which is perfect for tips and rebounds.

Marto is a great skater that can move the puck, and his passing is good, but needs to be more consistent. He gets too deep, too often when on offense and gets hung out to dry. He needs to be more physical (I don't mean that in terms of hitting people) by bodying up and moving people out of the way or holding them up along the boards. Marto has the potential to be pretty darn good, but will need time to take the rawness out of him. He'll come along.

At the beginning of the season I remember asking the question.....

"If you were going to trade any of the Sioux defensemen to our neighbors to the East, who would you trade for?"

At that time most people would have probably made a trade for one of our 4 through 7 guys for their best. But if I was looking at it now, I wouldn't give up our #7 for their #1.

I totally disagree. Marto is a great skater who can move the puck up the ice. I think they are pretty equal players at this point. A lot of posters on this board have never and will never give Marto a decent chance at winning them over.

I am not sure why someone can't feel if Lapoint is better than Marto? It just happens I think Lapoint is better.

At the beginning of the season I remember asking the question.....

"If you were going to trade any of the Sioux defensemen to our neighbors to the East, who would you trade for?"

At that time most people would have probably made a trade for one of our 4 through 7 guys for their best. But if I was looking at it now, I wouldn't give up our #7 for their #1.

Exactly.

We're splitting hairs here.

My ranking is just as good as the next person's. However, some are more biased towards previous perceptions (aka history, hype, draft position, etc.) than others.

I do have a ranking but it changes EVERY game. Why? Because on some nights one guy is the best, on others someone else is.

Last year, I'd say Chorney was our best defenseman. This year? Gosh, a good argument can be made for Genoway.

What about history? Every year, Finley gets better and better and better. If this pace keeps up, and Finley returns for his senior year, Finley will undoubtedly be the best defenseman on the team, no offense to Genoway.

Marto vs. LaPoint? They're FRESHMEN! I think both have upsides. Both have looked like freshmen this year too. Yes, I had pre-season expectations for these two and so far, LaPoint is right about where I expected him and Marto has exceeded my expectations (I didn't expect him to appear much on the ice this season).

And really, when our offense has been so gal darned inconsistent and our powerplay so lethargic after a great start, why are we picking on one of the three top performing entities (goaltending and penalty kill being the other two) we've had this year?

I agree that they should keep Kozek up with the top line. He is a goal scorer ar heart and he just needs more time to continue to develop into a consistent threat at this level. In previous years he always played with grinders. Keep him with playmakers and let him take advantage of that shot. It is by far the best on the team. Accuracy is near what you have in Duncan and it is hard (in the Finley mode). Now if he can learn to get it off like Oshie in traffic he will be deadly. Mark my words he will be the top scoring player next year.

BD

kozek also opens the ice up for tj and duncan with the way he hits and how physical he is

I think that Hak has ranked the d in the form of lines on the ice. You can agree and disagree with the arangements like some have putting Finley and Jones near the bottom and agree like others have! (oh by the way if you ranked Finley near the bottom you should not be ranking dmen for any hockey team!!!) I have to think that some posters don't understand there are two types of D men that play the game. One is the enforcer/defensive minded player and the other powerplay/offensive minded player. I think we all now who goes into which catagory. Marto is much more offensive power play minded when he has played and Lapoint is going to turn the opposite direction. Marto has the wheels and stick work and Lapoint has the size and psycial mind set. You can't compare the two in the same way, since they are differnt types of players. Both will be great D men in the next year or two! That would be like comparing Finley and Geno. Hats off to Big Joe this year, he has turned into IMO the best D men on this team!

You would rank every player according to their plus/minus? I'm glad you are not the coach.

+/- is a very good way to rank defensemen. Obviously it is not the only indicator of how a player is doing, but Finley's +/- is extremely impressive. Finley has been having a very good year and I would seriously question anyone's knowledge of the game who ranks him as the weakest defenseman on the team.

With the seven D the Sioux have I can see it being very difficult to determine who sits.

I agree with many of you on ranking our defense but, one thing really bothers me. Joe, when are you going to drop the

gloves and take off the helmet and mix it up with a person that deserves it? Two and half years I have watched you goon

it up and talk a lot of s**t at the other players but I haven't seen you pull a Kaip or a Perp. Your starting to look a lot like a

certain Denver player who's intials are Punkobitch. Don't wait for the handshake line or until there's a linesman around drop

them and kick the crap out of them. I will gloat then you are the best defenseman in all of college hockey.

I agree with many of you on ranking our defense but, one thing really bothers me. Joe, when are you going to drop the

gloves and take off the helmet and mix it up with a person that deserves it? Two and half years I have watched you goon

it up and talk a lot of s**t at the other players but I haven't seen you pull a Kaip or a Perp. Your starting to look a lot like a

certain Denver player who's intials are Punkobitch. Don't wait for the handshake line or until there's a linesman around drop

them and kick the crap out of them. I will gloat then you are the best defenseman in all of college hockey.

I too would love to see him drop the gloves from time to time, but he is WAY too important to lose for a game or two, and I have a feeling that the coaches have instructed him to be very "judicious" in deciding whether to "drop em" or not. Remember last year during the Mankato game when Kaip was getting pummeled by Bruess and Hak and company told him not to drop the gloves.

I think Joe's been ready to go with a couple of guys, Wheeler namely.

I don't think Joe or anyone else should be fighting just to prove they know how. I'm not against fighting but there's a time and place.

He has pretty much made it clear that he will if he needs to but nobody's been dumb enough to take him up on it. He was ready to go with Bickel two weeks ago and he was matched up with a guy last year but it was broke up before anything happened.

I don't think Joe or anyone else should be fighting just to prove they know how. I'm not against fighting but there's a time and place.

He has pretty much made it clear that he will if he needs to but nobody's been dumb enough to take him up on it. He was ready to go with Bickel two weeks ago and he was matched up with a guy last year but it was broke up before anything happened.

I don't think this is the time of year for anyone to be wanting certain players to be dropping the gloves and fighting. we need everyone to be out on the ice not in the press box being cheerleaders. getting in a fight and having to sit out a game isn't going to help us get a 1 seed or advance to denver. simple rule right now should be "skate away, just skate away"