SiouxSports.com Forum

PCM coaches show

sprig

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank God for LaPoint on friday.

Instead of Marto I assume? Marto was more than solid vs. the Gophs. He is a better skater than Lapoint, but on our NHL rink I'm excited to see Lapoint on Friday as well, but Marto is no slouch!!

Thanks, Sprig.

I'm hoping there are more shots on net this weekend. TJ's not the only one cycling the puck, looking for the perfect pass. My mantra this year watching or listening to our team has been

"Shoot the puck, shoot the puck, for Pete's sake, just shoot the puck!!!!"

:D:D:D

Thank God for LaPoint on friday.

Chuck, I appreciate the insight that you bring in your posts, but I have to question your objectivity if you think LaPoint is so advanced over Marto. I've watched a lot of Sioux hockey over the last 1.5 months and Marto is a pretty good player in his own right. As for other defensemen out there, I'm not sure who else would be well behind LaPoint either. Hakstol recently talked about Jones' solid play. It's hard to compare the value of Jones and LaPoint because they are so different in style. I assume he's playing well because he gets a lot of PK time.

Are you thinking LaPoint should play over Chorney, Bina, Finley or Genoway?

There are 7 guys for 6 slots and somebody has to sit sometimes. I don't see why LaPoint can't take his turn.

Chuck, I appreciate the insight that you bring in your posts, but I have to question your objectivity if you think LaPoint is so advanced over Marto. I've watched a lot of Sioux hockey over the last 1.5 months and Marto is a pretty good player in his own right. As for other defensemen out there, I'm not sure who else would be well behind LaPoint either. Hakstol recently talked about Jones' solid play. It's hard to compare the value of Jones and LaPoint because they are so different in style. I assume he's playing well because he gets a lot of PK time.

Are you thinking LaPoint should play over Chorney, Bina, Finley or Genoway?

There are 7 guys for 6 slots and somebody has to sit sometimes. I don't see why LaPoint can't take his turn.

If I were to rank the D right now I would say:

Chorney

Bina

Genoway

LaPoint

Marto

Jones

Finley

Chorney--INCONSISTANT but better since Christmas

Bina--INCONSISTANT but worse since Christams

Genoway--AGGRESSIVE like him a lot!!

LaPoint--BETTER ON NHL RINK

Marto--BETTER THAN ADVERTISED

Jones--SOLID

Finley--VERY GOOD

My thoughts to your post. Is Chorney our best D--Yes. But doesnt play like it every night. Bina has looked lost at times since Christmas. Genoway is the real deal! Lapoint and Marto have been pleasant suprises for Frosh. Jones and Finley have been playing better each night out.

Chorney

Bina

Genoway

LaPoint

Marto

Jones

Finley

first off finley isnt sitting 1 game and shouldnt ever sit, jones either. its a tough decision for hak either way with marto and lapoint but they have a 9 game unbeaten streak rolling so im not that worried about whos in the lineup overall. you are a sconnie guy so i understand where you are coming from and enjoy toure recruiting takes as well on this board. very insightful. its either marto or lapoint and i know you know that from previous posts and i know you enjoy martos game and you arent trying to make it a marto vs lapoint discussion. i heard lapoint may have been a little banged up for the gopher series anyways so it was martos chance to play a couple games on the big sheet of ice. it sounds like lapoint will play friday for sure and i would guess saturday as well if things go well friday. they are both very important to the future of the sioux and getting them both in there isnt a bad thing. keep the streak going!! martos played 16 games and lapoint 20 out of 27 total games this season. the reason marto played a few more games early on is when genoway was at forward but he has proved to be a a hell of a d man overall so that put a stop to marto and lapoint both playing. fight on sioux!!

I thought that Marto and LaPoint played well when paired together earlier in the year, bodes well for the future.

very well, add genoway and jones for next year along with ben blood and macwilliam i think. i thoguht i heard finehage and gleason would be 09's but i guess we will see. maybe finehage comes in and macwilliam is the 7th d man that gets in here and there. or does gleason and finehage come in and battle and macwilliam is a 09? i dont know his age so not sure. either way i lke these recruits!

Chuck, I appreciate the insight that you bring in your posts, but I have to question your objectivity if you think LaPoint is so advanced over Marto.

I am not trying to start a food fight but I think that Lapoint is the better of the two players. If you watched the last two games I think Marto is good but Lapoint offers more in offense and we need that. It tough who do you sit. I wouldn't sit Jones but I would suggest playing 7 defensemen and moving Chay up front when the time allows.

I am not trying to start a food fight but I think that Lapoint is the better of the two players. If you watched the last two games I think Marto is good but Lapoint offers more in offense and we need that. It tough who do you sit. I wouldn't sit Jones but I would suggest playing 7 defensemen and moving Chay up front when the time allows.

we've got a great problem with 7 legit wcha defensemen, but moving chay to forward is not the solution. he is our best puck moving defenseman, and we cannot sacrafice that. times when we have struggled, we have struggled breaking out of our own end, shifts get too long, and bad things happen. i think marto and lapoint rotate like they have been, and be ready to step up as first or second pair dmen next season.

Chorney

Bina

Genoway

LaPoint

Marto

Jones

Finley

With that ranking, no one should ever take you seriously on this board ever again. :D That rank would be a lot closer if you went from last to first (maybe that's what you are trying to do?)

Is this your goalie ranking too?

Walski

Snider

Lamoureux

Here it is; didn't see it posted elsewhere:

http://board.uscho.com/showpost.php?p=3587...p;postcount=269

"Oshie, Duncan and Kozek have been playing together on the top line, but this week we've tried something different. Brad Miller was up with them today. I wouldn't read a whole lot into that. We just want to be prepared if things aren't working."

God help us.......

"Oshie, Duncan and Kozek have been playing together on the top line, but this week we've tried something different. Brad Miller was up with them today. I wouldn't read a whole lot into that. We just want to be prepared if things aren't working."

God help us.......

i bet kozek is still up there and miller goes on 4th line with radke and martens with zajac out friday...or davidson

With that ranking, no one should ever take you seriously on this board ever again. :D That rank would be a lot closer if you went from last to first (maybe that's what you are trying to do?)

Is this your goalie ranking too?

Walski

Snider

Lamoureux

I realize that no one's asking me but if they were this is how I'd rank them.

Joe Finley. I'd give him a +19

Chay Gennoway +15

Robbie Bina +8

Taylor Chorney +6

Zach Jone +6

Derrick LaPoint +2

Jake Marto -2

I realize that no one's asking me but if they were this is how I'd rank them.

Joe Finley. I'd give him a +19

Chay Gennoway +15

Robbie Bina +8

Taylor Chorney +6

Zach Jone +6

Derrick LaPoint +2

Jake Marto -2

You would rank every player according to their plus/minus? I'm glad you are not the coach.

I am not trying to start a food fight but I think that Lapoint is the better of the two players. If you watched the last two games I think Marto is good but Lapoint offers more in offense and we need that.

I totally disagree. Marto is a great skater who can move the puck up the ice. I think they are pretty equal players at this point. A lot of posters on this board have never and will never give Marto a decent chance at winning them over.

You would rank every player according to their plus/minus? I'm glad you are not the coach.

I would bet that that list closely but not exactly correlates with time on ice. (Which is apparently not available.) Certainly the coach would agree with the bottom two rankings as that's the two he has alternating days off.

I totally disagree. Marto is a great skater who can move the puck up the ice. I think they are pretty equal players at this point. A lot of posters on this board have never and will never give Marto a decent chance at winning them over.

I've been very impressed with his play. He'll be a good one.

God help us.......

From what I have noticed, the only time Miller puts any effort into his play is when he is on the top line. When he is down on the third or fourth he has no energy or willingness to fight for the puck.