SiouxSports.com Forum

Gopher is the Final

bertibm

I hope that they lose, but I don't think that they will. I always cheer for the WCHA unless it is the Gophers. It has nothing to do with the players or the state of Minnesota, and everything to do with certain fans. Fans like Yellowdog who offer tired excuses as to why the Sioux have won in the past, to Sid Hartman and Dubay who also have excuses ranging from 25 year old Canadians, to academics, to how it is somehow easier to recruit at a D2 school. Finally, watching Gopher fans cheer for Ferris State at the Regionals and cheer when New Hampshire defeated St. Cloud.

Many of the Gopher fans who have posted on this board are civil and are not here just to talk trash, so they are helping to make me at least think about cheering for the Gophers. However, then Yellowdog comes on here, or Happy posts on USCHO and I remember why I always cheer for whoever is playing the Gophers.

I hope that they lose, but I don't think that they will. I always cheer for the WCHA unless it is the Gophers. It has nothing to do with the players or the state of Minnesota, and everything to do with certain fans. Fans like Yellowdog who offer tired excuses as to why the Sioux have won in the past, to Sid Hartman and Dubay who also have excuses ranging from 25 year old Canadians, to academics, to how it is somehow easier to recruit at a D2 school. Finally, watching Gopher fans cheer for Ferris State at the Regionals and cheer when New Hampshire defeated St. Cloud.

Many of the Gopher fans who have posted on this board are civil and are not here just to talk trash, so they are helping to make me at least think about cheering for the Gophers. However, then Yellowdog comes on here, or Happy posts on USCHO and I remember why I always cheer for whoever is playing the Gophers.

I agree with skateshattrick but I hope they win for guys like Greyeagle but hope they lose for the majority of the rest.

Sorry gopher folks, I won't be pulling for you. Please don't take it personally...

I do, however, think they'll win. Oh well, maybe next year... :)

How will I ever sleep tonight??? ;)

Hopefully The Don is reminding them it's still a three period game. If MN gets the lead early against UNH I think the 'cats will slowly unravel. But let UNH take the lead, gain confidence, and allow Ayres to get hot, it could be a long night for the Gophs.

If I didn't care what the Sioux fans were talking about, I wouldn't be on this board.  I had a sleepless night last night.  I thought it was because I was soooooo fired up about the great OT win.  Maybe it was because of the rejection of certain Sioux fans. :)  ;)  ???  ???

How will I ever sleep tonight???

:);):) You guys crack me up...

Nope, not gonna cheer for the Gophers. I will root for UNH (the University of No Hardware [Yet]) instead for two reasons, the most important being they aren't the Gophers and the second being that their top goalie and I have the same last name. The enemy of MY enemy is MY friend.

Let's not delude ourselves, Sioux fans: our lives will be a living hell if Minnesota is the first team in 30+years to repeat as Frozen Four champ. As their fans remind us constantly, the Sioux are no longer the lead sled dog and if you ain't the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

In my world there is this one constant: I will always despise the Gophers, no matter how many North Dakota boys they recruit.

Since I live in "the belly of the beast" and know a number of Minnesota fans personally not just board posters, including those who lived through Woog's last days, it's kind of difficult to at least not support them, even if I don't cheer them on. I have no affinity for UNH, and I don't think they have the horses to beat Minnesota. If Cornell was there instead, I'd probably pull for them somewhat, as it's nice to see the Ivies there once in awhile.

Even though certain Minnesota "fans" might be insufferable if they won, it might hasten the departure of Vanek, as well as a few other players who would be juniors and seniors next season. I know that a number of players did say they'd stay around no matter what, but so did Taffe last season. ;):)

"Nope, not gonna cheer for the Gophers."

Thats cool. I feel I cursed the Sioux in '01. After cheering against them in '97 and '00, I finally got on board and whammo, Sioux lose. So as a favor to the sane Sioux fans, I'll politely root against them if they get to another NCAA final.

I'd hate to see any Sioux fan disappointed if the Gophs lose.

Geez, all this talk about Minnesota fans like Yellowdog and such. Well, for every Yellowdog, there's a Goon...get it? It's the same all over. Most fans are civil; some are idiots. That will NEVER change. The idiots, by the way, are most likely idiots in life as well. My advice? Ignore them. It's the mature thing to do.

The fans at Mariucci who cheered FSU over UND may have been pulling for FSU for the same reason I was (although I wasn't vocal at all): Minnesota matched up better against FSU in the next game. I mean, wouldn't Sioux fans rather go through FSU than Minnesota for a chance to get to the Frozen Four? Yep. When Minnesota plays UND, all bets are off no matter who the better team is. ;)

I was happy when UND won the title in 2000. I liked Goring and Minnesotans, like Blais, :) DeFauw, Goehring et. al. And, when the idiot type fan throws SEVEN NATIONAL TITLES! in my face? I ignore them.

I agree with the fact that all teams have idiot fans and flaming fans. However, don't give me the "we cheered for Ferris because we matched up better against them" routine. I was there. Cheering for Ferris for your stated reason would not require the high-fives, the smirking at the Sioux fans, and the "go home Sioux" comments. Sure, there may have been some quiet ones like you who silently rooted for Ferris for the matchup reason...but the vocal ones were cheering against UND because it's UND.

...not that there's anything wrong with that btw. I'm sure there would be Sioux fans that would do the same thing. Just be honest about what happened.

MKSioux

I didn't sit next to any high-fiving Gopher fans, and if you did, just ignore them. They're just trying to rub it in, like any 5-year old would.

Years ago I sat in a bar watching the Gophers against Lake Superior State. Safe to say, it wasn't much of a Gopher effort. A table of Sioux fans (about 5 or 6) started the "Golden Chokers" chant. It almost started a fight. Of course, I wasn't about to get into the fray, but I do remember how low class that was. Do I think all Sioux fans are like that? Nope. I just ignore the ones who are.

I will not cheer for the Gophers but I think they will win. I won't cheer for UNH either. I don't care who wins, just want to see a good game. Some earlier posts pointed out that UNH takes some stupid penalties and if they do on Saturday, the Gophers will make them pay. I was very impressed with Webber in the MI game and the Gophers skate 4 solid lines. Also, I am impressed with Martin and Ballard on D.

If they win will I change my name? Nah, I'll just say that it relates to the comparison of Siouxrocks IQ vs. the collective IQ's of a few of the Sioux bashing Rodent lovers on this board.

I have to go with my chilhood roots and the Gophs. I realize that guys like yellowdog will be all over this board bragging and rubbing it in, but at the same time it'll be nice to see the WCHA get yet another Natiopnal Championship, proving that even though the West doesn't get the respect we deserve, we are still the best conferece around. It'll also shut the East-biased analysts up for at least another year.

As to who I think will win, it depends on what type of game will be played. If it turns into a goaltending battle...the University of Nothing but Hacks will win as Ayers is far better than Weber or Johnson. If it turns into a shootout...The Gophers are full of snipers up front while UNH is playing without Lanny Gare, and doesn't have the fire power to compete with the Gophers.

I think the Gophs will win handedly. Everything they throw at the net goes in. I am constantly amazed at how they (well, Mr Europe and Mr NoDak) make solid goaltenders look foolish. A combination of puck-luck and skill, these guys are rolling. It is U of M's game to lose, no question.

Life is good for the Goofer right now. And, it will continue to be until this virus runs it's course. I have accepted the fact they'll win this year. What I haven't been able to swallow is the possibility of them winning it all again next year. Goofer three-peat: the unthinkable.

All things considered, I know many Gopher fans who are well deserving of some fun right now. We Sioux fans were only an overtime goal away from the same thing. I think it's best if the West gets it done right this time.

I can't cheer for them from my heart (three decades of anti-Gopher brainwashing is tough to erase), but my head says West beats East is the better deal. Bring the hardware home, Goldy, because next season your a$$ belong to da Sioux!

taz

I don't understand how any Sioux fan in their right mind could root for the Gophers. Sure they're in the same conference. But do Red Sox fans root for the Yankees in the World Series because they're from the American League. I don't think so.

"Nope, not gonna cheer for the Gophers."

Thats cool. I feel I cursed the Sioux in '01. After cheering against them in '97 and '00, I finally got on board and whammo, Sioux lose. So as a favor to the sane Sioux fans, I'll politely root against them if they get to another NCAA final.

I'd hate to see any Sioux fan disappointed if the Gophs lose.

Well that is quite generous of you...from the bottom of my heart, thank you. ;)

And don't worry, even though I will be cheering for the Gophers...I will not be that dissapointed if they lose

(I will however, have a few drinks for you...win or lose :) )

I think it's amazing there are people out there that believe Gopher fans are worse than any other set, especially given the UW, SCSU, UMD and various newbie UND fans running around USCHO. ;) I cheered for UND in 2000 and 2001 and will every time they don't stand in the way of the Gophers. I had a good time at the X last April with the Sioux fans in front of me for the Frozen Four, and with the Sioux fans next to me at the X this year for the Final Five.

You think we'll never let you live it down if we win two in a row? How many times has "7>4", and until last year, "23 years" been shoved down our throats by Sioux fans? Crimminy, you have posters naming themselves 7>4 and others putting in their signature. :) I don't expect this to change anyone's mind and I'm not actually asking Sioux fans to cheer for MN, but our fans are no better or worse than your fans. :)