SiouxSports.com Forum

What do you think of the logo now??

Siouxperfan7

Fighting Hawks logo  

315 members have voted

1. 1. Now that the dust has settled, what is your grade for the new Fighting Hawks logo now?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

3 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Yes he did in a press conference and no I'm not going to go find it.

Must have been laundry day that day and his favorite non Hawks clothes was not available for it. I have never seen him wear it during interviews and if you google his name, and look at the pics there isn't any. Google Bubba Schweigert and he is immediately seen wearing Hawks gear. Bubba has embraced the name/logo, Berry isn't going to accept it as much as Bubba, and neither is the hockey community.  

• Downvote 1

Pretty much sums up the difference between hockey and football:

On Wednesday, UND men’s hockey defenseman and captain Gage Ausmus, an East Grand Forks native, wasn’t thrilled with the new nickname.

“If it were up to me, I would have picked something else, but oh well,” Ausmus said.

UND senior linebacker and football captain Dayo Idowu served on the school’s nickname committee, which vetted the original public submissions into a final five options for a public vote of stakeholders.

“I think this is a huge opportunity to move forward, keeping our old traditions and making new ones,” Idowu said. “I’m excited to have a new nickname. I was okay with both finalists. I’m excited to get some chants and cheers going and see a new logo.

UND football player Luke Mathewson, a junior tight end, voted for Fighting Hawks and said he’s excited for a new nickname and to finish this process.

“I didn’t come to this university for the nickname or the thought of getting one,” Mathewson said. “I came here for much more. Getting a new nickname, I understand it’s big for some people. For me, it doesn’t change how great this place is and what it’s meant to me and everything it has provided for me. With or without a nickname, I’d still get all that. And the people who come after me who will be Fighting Hawks, they’ll still get that experience, too.”

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/3885568-und-sports-players-coaches-say-culture-wont-change-new-nickname

16 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Again were you at the hockey game Friday?

Simple question.

I was. Some of the reactions I got to the Hawks shirt I had on didn't do anything to change my mind about there being a "hockey-only" group who's main concern is a retired logo. Not at all accusing you of being in that group, just stating my experience. 

5 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

I was. Some of the reactions I got to the Hawks shirt I had on didn't do anything to change my mind about there being a "hockey-only" group who's main concern is a retired logo. Not at all accusing you of being in that group, just stating my experience. 

So you were the "popularity" trend according to UND FB FAN Friday. That's awesome. Congrats!

5 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

UND football player Luke Mathewson, a junior tight end, voted for Fighting Hawks and said he’s excited for a new nickname and to finish this process.

“I didn’t come to this university for the nickname or the thought of getting one,” Mathewson said. “I came here for much more. Getting a new nickname, I understand it’s big for some people. For me, it doesn’t change how great this place is and what it’s meant to me and everything it has provided for me. With or without a nickname, I’d still get all that. And the people who come after me who will be Fighting Hawks, they’ll still get that experience, too.”

Actually he doesn't say he's excited for a new nickname, at least not in what you captured in the quote.  He basically says he doesn't care whether there's a nickname or not; what's important to him are the experiences he is having here.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Oxbow6 said:

So you were the "popularity trend" Friday. That's awesome. Congrats!

Not quite sure what that means. 

You asked someone about being at the game because that was apparently required to validate their opinion. I was there and shared the unsolicited responses I saw to the new logo.

Like I said, wasn't accusing or including you in what I saw, just sharing it. 

34 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Not quite sure what that means. 

You asked someone about being at the game because that was apparently required to validate their opinion. I was there and shared the unsolicited responses I saw to the new logo.

Like I said, wasn't accusing or including you in what I saw, just sharing it. 

Noted........I'm sure you ran into some of those. Kind of like the other side of coin with a certain FB only someone posting here. Both groups have their jacka**es. 

To your question above and what does it mean.......it means that the "popularity" trends at hockey games in any venue UND plays is not the new logo or nickname. Is that right or wrong? That's a fact though.......not some conjured up BS by one poster.  Big picture does the clothing worn by UND fans matter......no but that's just my opinion. 

Has hockey embraced the new name? No.

Does the team go a bit over the top on the Sioux thing? Yes.

Does it hurt anything? No.

BTW, Men's BB is the only team that fully adopted the new logo and lettering on its uniforms.  But Jones never gets mentioned as a Fighting Hawks trailblazer. Why is that? 

6 minutes ago, lawkota said:

BTW, Men's BB is the only team that fully adopted the new logo and lettering on its uniforms.  But Jones never gets mentioned as a Fighting Hawks trailblazer. Why is that? 

Because he never talks to anybody?

• Upvote 4

I don't mind the idea of branding "North Dakota Hockey" as opposed to trying to differentiate ourselves from the Redhawks and River Hawks in a 60-some team college hockey universe.  

That being said, get rid of the interlocking ND and use that awesome new font.  Put the logo on the jerseys - shoulders on a couple and on the front of the third jersey.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, MafiaMan said:

I don't mind the idea of branding "North Dakota Hockey" as opposed to trying to differentiate ourselves from the Redhawks and River Hawks in a 60-some team college hockey universe.  

That being said, get rid of the interlocking ND and use that awesome new font.  Put the logo on the jerseys - shoulders on a couple and on the front of the third jersey.

Not a bad idea. You should maybe consider doing some jersey design work in your spare time.

6 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

FIGHTING arched above the number on the front and HAWKS underneath it on the home jerseys.  NORTH and DAKOTA replacing that on the green roads.  Green shoulder yokes at home, white for the roadies.  Lace-up collar.

I'm on it!

31 minutes ago, lawkota said:

Football put the logo on the their helmet during a time when apparently it was still optional; thus, I would argue they were the first to officially implement it.