SiouxSports.com Forum

"I Survived North Dakota"

jimdahl

From the Salt Lake Tribune

Some of my favorites:

Being in Grand Forks takes patience and creativity. We had some side trips planned but were prevented from venturing outside of the city because of drifting snow, which drapes the roads and can lead drivers astray.

We occupied our time by examining the everyday life of Grand Forks. The bingo game in the mall is popular, ethnic cuisine is not.

When I asked the waitress at a Mexican restaurant what kind of cheese is used in the enchiladas, she looked at me with a puzzled look.

"Yellow," she said.

Still, I can't say that I would like living in North Dakota. It takes a person who doesn't complain much and needs few city comforts to face the physical challenges of the Northern Plains -- at least in winter.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a devotee of N.D., but I've gotta agree with her on the "needs few city comforts" to live in North Dakota line (though she did allow as to how Fargo was a bit hipper then G.F., where she spent most of her visit).

They missed the ND Museum of Art on campus at UND?

Shame on them.

I've long believed that a North Dakotan can move away to a big city and move back to ND and be just as happy before or after. It's just that folks used to that "big city" can't adjust to the more relaxed pace in ND.

Gotta love it when a resident of SLC, and most likely a non-member of "LDS", cracks on any other part of the country.

"City comforts"? WTF is that? Panhandlers? Whiny granolas with more metal in their face than "Pinhead"? Rush hour traffic that moves at 0-5 MPH because some dumbass doesn't know how to drive in snow? Overrpriced martinis?

My favorite part was how she kept talking up the cold. I expect it to be the weeks of highs in the -20's, but then she claims it's eight above. :huh: Today it was five degrees and i was thinking about busting out the shorts.

In a related topic, Rick Killion writes excellent editorials in the Prairie Business Magazine (prairiebizmag.com). In one of them, he gently reprimanded North Dakotans that they were shooting themselves in the foot when bragging or boasting about how cold it was to people from out of state.

It only hurt and falsified the state's image even more, he thought. Instead, when someone from, say, Georgia was talking to you on the phone during a business transaction, don't go along with the "Man, it's cold up there, isn't it?! I don't see how you can stand it!" conversation. Killion believed that each North Dakotan could be their own PR man for the state in a sense, and not fortify the belief that it's all ice and snow for 95 percent of the time

My favorite part was how she kept talking up the cold. I expect it to be the weeks of highs in the -20's, but then she claims it's eight above. :huh: Today it was five degrees and i was thinking about busting out the shorts.

In a related topic, Rick Killion writes excellent editorials in the Prairie Business Magazine (prairiebizmag.com). In one of them, he gently reprimanded North Dakotans that they were shooting themselves in the foot when bragging or boasting about how cold it was to people from out of state.

It only hurt and falsified the state's image even more, he thought. Instead, when someone from, say, Georgia was talking to you on the phone during a business transaction, don't go along with the "Man, it's cold up there, isn't it?! I don't see how you can stand it!" conversation. Killion believed that each North Dakotan could be their own PR man for the state in a sense, and not fortify the belief that it's all ice and snow for 95 percent of the time

Everytime I tell people what the temp is at home (yes, I consider EGF home), I also tell them that we have very hot weather in the summer. I was talking to some teachers today and said that it's finally gotten to above 0, and now everyone is going out without coats. It was in the low 50's in Cali and they wear winter clothing.

I don't think the author has too much to brag about. Salt Lake City isn't special, and Utah is the WORST state I've ever driven through. NO SERVICES. And I've been all over the west/midwest.

I've long believed that a North Dakotan can move away to a big city and move back to ND and be just as happy before or after. It's just that folks used to that "big city" can't adjust to the more relaxed pace in ND.

How true. I could move back to GF tomorrow & it would feel like I never left. The cold weather is no problem, but the lack of meaningful jobs is.

How true. I could move back to GF tomorrow & it would feel like I never left. The cold weather is no problem, but the lack of meaningful jobs is.

I agree. I've considered moving back a few times. However, whenever it comes to compensation, authority, cutting edge tactics, etc., most NoDak cos. are way behind the rest of the world, even rural places like Iowa and Nebraska.

I grew up in the TC and need that city "something to do" thing. Grand Forks is a nice town, but I have been too spoiled to live here for long after I graduate. Weather isn't an issue, MN/ND probably has the worst weather in the country in terms of temperature...everyone else is just a bunch of p*ssies :huh:

Not as bad as I expected though, especially after I turned 21. :p And the laidy folk ain't bad looking either. People up here even got me liking country music...a little.

I agree. I've considered moving back a few times. However, whenever it comes to compensation, authority, cutting edge tactics, etc., most NoDak cos. are way behind the rest of the world, even rural places like Iowa and Nebraska.

It sounds like we're in the same boat--$$$, opportunities & other big-city trappings are just too difficult to replace with peace of mind & a sense of community. :huh:

I don't have any kids yet & that probably explains why I still live here. Note to anyone out there with youngins who's contemplating moving to Phoenix: DON'T! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, RALPH & HERBIE--JUST DON'T!! Never have I seen a f***ed-up state across the board like Arizona. Pi$$-poor education, rampant crime, psychotic drivers, a gazillion illegal aliens, awful social services, crazy summertime heat, crooked politicians galore...you name it, we got it...the bottom of the barrel, that is. I think, no I know, that God shakes the continental U.S. like a big acorn tree & all the nuts fall down to Florida & Arizona. Geez...

The preceding message brought to you by the "Ex-North Dakotans soon to be moving to an actually livable, English-speaking state" Committee.

Like the Dem candidates say at the end of their commercials: "I'm Sioux Fan in Phoenix & I approve this message."

Note to anyone out there with youngins who's contemplating moving to Phoenix: DON'T! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, RALPH & HERBIE--JUST DON'T!!

you forgot Zach :huh:

psychotic drivers

They're in ND too. Nobody up here knows how to drive in a city-type environment. They would cause quite a few accidents in Minneapolis...that or get shot, which they don't have to worry about here.

I thought this applied well to this thread... :huh:

Issued by the North Dakota Tourism Bureau to ALL visiting Urbanites:

1. Don't order filet mignon or pasta primavera at Kroll's Kitchen. It's

a diner. They serve breakfast 24 hours a day. Let them cook something they

know. If you upset the ladies in the kitchen, they'll kick your ass.

2. Don't laugh at the names of our little towns (Minnewauken, Rolla,

Gackle, Osnabrock, Cando, Walhalla, Zap, etc.) or we will just HAVE to

kick your ass.

3. Don't order a bottle or a can of soda here. Up here it's called pop.

Accept it. Doing otherwise can lead to an ass kicking.

4. We know our heritage. Most of us are more literate than you. We are

also better educated and generally a lot nicer. Don't refer to us as a bunch of

hicks or we'll bust your ass.

5. We have plenty of business sense. You have to to make a living up

here. Naturally, we do sometimes have small lapses in judgment, but we are

not dumb enough to let someone move to our state in order to run for the

Senate. If someone tried to do that, we would kick their ass.

6. Don't laugh at our giant fiberglass cows and our turtles made out of

car parts. Anything that inspires tourists to buy 50,000 postcards can't be

bad. When you're in Jamestown, don't point at the genitalia on the giant

buffalo or we'll kick your ass.

7. We are fully aware of how cold it gets here in the winter, so shut

the hell up. Just spend your money and get the hell out of here or we'll

kick your ass.

8. Don't order the vegetarian special at the local diner. Everyone will

instantly know that you're a tourist. Eat your steak rare like God

intended and have some potatoes with it, for heaven's sake! Also, don't ask

what a hot dish is or you will get your ass kicked.

9. Don't try to fake a NoDak accent. We don't have an accent. Do NOT

mention the movie "Fargo" as that will incite a riot and you will get your

ass kicked.

10. Don't talk about how much better things are at home because we

know better. Many of us have visited big-city hell-holes like Minneapolis, New

York, and LA, and we have the scars to prove it. If you don't like it here,

Northwest Airlines is ready when you are. Move your ass on home.

11. Yes, we know that ice fishing is "not your thing." We don't care.

If you don't understand the beauty of being out on a lake when it's 10

degrees then you should go home and try fishing in New York Harbor. Also,

don't hog the heater in the fish house or we'll kick your ass.

12. Don't complain that North Dakota is flat and that there aren't

enough trees. If you whine about OUR scenic beauty we'll kick your ass all the

way back to Cleveland.

13. Don't ridicule our mannerisms. We only speak when spoken to. We

hold doors open for others. We offer our seats to old folks because such

things are expected of civilized people. Behave yourselves around our sweet,

little grey-haired grandmothers or they will kick some manners into

your ass just like they did ours.

14. So you think we're quaint or losers because most of us live on the

prairie? That's because we have enough sense to not live in filthy,

smelly, crime-infested cesspools like New York or LA. Make fun of our fresh air

and we'll kick your ass.

15. Last, but not least, DO NOT DARE to come out here and tell us how

the prairie should "go back to the buffalo." This will get your ass shot.

Just mention this once and you will go home in a pine box. Minus your ass.

Enjoy your visit in the Peace Garden State!

Interesting article. I moved to salt lake city in august for graduate school and the only way i ever notice it is a fairly large city is when i go on the freeways during rush hour or venture downtown. It's a very friendly city for big city friendliness standards (if that makes sense). Weather-wise the city probably gets more snow on average, but it actually comes down vertically and the high temperature rarely ever falls below 20. WHen you guys were suffering -40 it was about +40 here ;)