SiouxSports.com Forum

The next chance for Carlson's Cabal

The Sicatoka

That said, deleting emails subject to an official request could be grounds for termination in the "real world".

In the "real world" it's often not possible for someone to delete the only copy of his own emails that might be subject to an official request. Poor risk management on their part if it's true.

Now he's claiming that someone in the University System office hacked his account. You can't make this stuff up:

NDSU president raises questions about University System staff accessing his email account

Bresciani wrote that the investigation also found that his account had been “compromised” on several days during this timeframe now in question by computer accounts controlled by the University System office without notifying him or anyone at NDSU.

“It is my understanding that these staff have full access and control of my email account,” he wrote. “You can imagine my chagrin at the discovery.”

Now he's claiming that someone in the University System office hacked his account. You can't make this stuff up:

NDSU president raises questions about University System staff accessing his email account

I don't think it should be a surprise that they have access to it, that is pretty common with any employer. The access of it on multiple occasions is somewhat questionable though, depending on who was doing it for what purpose and whether that purpose was actually within the employee's job scope. If they accessed it to fulfill the open records request, is that really all that surprising and would Brescani have to be notified (not sure, actually asking)? A completely different issue if someone was on a fishing expedition though.

Regardless, none of the above really explains why 45,000 e-mail all of the sudden disappeared.

• Upvote 2

I don't think it should be a surprise that they have access to it, that is pretty common with any employer. The access of it on multiple occasions is somewhat questionable though, depending on who was doing it for what purpose and whether that purpose was actually within the employees job scope. If they accessed it to fulfill the open records request, is that really all that surprising and would Brescani have to be notified (not sure, actually asking)? A completely different issue if someone was on a fishing expedition though.

Regardless, none of the above really explains why 45,000 e-mail all of the sudden disappeared.

Bingo as to your last comment. We aren't talking just 45 emails!

• Upvote 2

AT my job it says on the handbook when you get hired that all emails is owned by the corporation and therefore for company use only. I am sure it's the same at most workplaces including universities. I think Brescani had something in the email he shouldn't have and got his hand caught in the cookie jar. I think Travis Beck just got a new bunk mate at the Cass County Jail. ( I know Beck is out but you get the point).

One of the problems is that they get so powerful that you can't vote them out. Some of the senators and reps in DC have been there for decades. Is that what the founders of this nation intended?

They can be voted out. It is just the voters chose not to. Because their power brings home the bacon to their state or district.
  • Upvote 1

AT my job it says on the handbook when you get hired that all emails is owned by the corporation and therefore for company use only. I am sure it's the same at most workplaces including universities. I think Brescani had something in the email he shouldn't have and got his hand caught in the cookie jar. I think Travis Beck just got a new bunk mate at the Cass County Jail. ( I know Beck is out but you get the point).

Yes, we get your point, you hate ndsu.

If Brescani would have trashed 45000 emails, it would be a small issue because this emails could essily be recovered from the backup media. However if they are truly deleted without backup, that is sureuly an adminisrative inside job, which this is appearing to be. Sorry Darrell, you are just getting your hopes up for another disappointing conclusion. Gee, who just lost his job and is trying to take someone down along with him? This whole thing is starting to become clear.

I think there will be a few IT job openings in Bismarck soon Darrell if thats your

specialty along with the Ndus opening.

Edited by Herd

Hum, nothing here to see folks, everyone move a long... I find it funny that these 45,000 emails just conveniently disappeared in to hyperspace just after emails were deleted from his inbox on or around April 29 – the same day as an open records request from the Legislative Council on behalf of an unnamed legislator. This is the kind of stuff that sends people to jail and causes hearings in the federal government.

Yes, we get your point, you hate ndsu.

If Brescani would have trashed 45000 emails, it would be a small issue because this emails could essily be recovered from the backup media. However if they are truly deleted without backup, that is sureuly an adminisrative inside job, which this is appearing to be. Sorry Darrell, you are just getting your hopes up for another disappointing conclusion. Gee, who just lost his job and is trying to take someone down along with him? This whole thing is starting to become clear.

I think there will be a few IT job openings in Bismarck soon Darrell if thats your

specialty along with the Ndus opening.

If Kelley did the same thing I would ask he be arrested too. Obviously he is hiding something. Its 45,000 emails, its not like 12 or 20. Take off the yellow and green glasses and wake up. Your president f*d up and he should be held accountable. If my boss did the same thing he should be held accountable. I know nothing about IT sorry.

If Kelley did the same thing I would ask he be arrested too. Obviously he is hiding something. Its 45,000 emails, its not like 12 or 20. Take off the yellow and green glasses and wake up. Your president f*d up and he should be held accountable. If my boss did the same thing he should be held accountable. I know nothing about IT sorry.

This is exactly why you calling for someone to be arrested is a little ridiculous at this point. There are a lot of unanswered questions out there.

-If Brescani did delete the e-mails, there should still be back-ups of them and once those are found, it will be easy to see why he may have done so.

-If he didn't delete them and it was a system purge of some sort, again, there should still be back-ups of them, and a log file of that happening.

-If for some reason there are no back-ups or log files, then you are opening up a big can of worms of why someone on the backend would either on their own or by Brescani's (or someone else's orders) delete the e-mails, the back-ups or log files.

Again, these questions shouldn't be too hard to come up with actual answers to and will more or less show exactly what happened and why.

• Upvote 3

This is exactly why you calling for someone to be arrested is a little ridiculous at this point. There are a lot of unanswered questions out there.

-If Brescani did delete the e-mails, there should still be back-ups of them and once those are found, it will be easy to see why he may have done so.

-If he didn't delete them and it was a system purge of some sort, again, there should still be back-ups of them, and a log file of that happening.

-If for some reason there are no back-ups or log files, then you are opening up a big can of worms of why someone on the backend would either on their own or by Brescani's (or someone else's orders) delete the e-mails, the back-ups or log files.

Again, these questions shouldn't be too hard to come up with actual answers to and will more or less show exactly what happened and why.

Sounds fishy to me as well.

No, I would feel the same say if someone said that Kelley deleted 45000 emails in a matter of a few days that could not be found. I would firmly believe that it was not done by him.

You are missing my point. Individuals don't delete emails, they clear them from their desktop, and copies of the emails are on backup media to be retrieved during the required record retain period. If the emails were actually deleted and erased, that would be coming from an IT administrative function with access to the backup, not Brescani.

The other thing . . . 45000 emails deleted in a short period of time? I know how to delete groups of emails, but it would take a long time to delete 45000 especially if done selectively using keywords to delete specific messages. That clearly sounds to me like an activity that was completed by an IT person with administrative access who searched by keyword, sorted, and deleted. Sounds like a setup to me, not something done by Brescani. It's also very intesting how the AG was tipped of to investigate. The whole thing seem pretty fishy to me. Brescani would have to be a complete idiot to think that he could eliminate an email trail by removing it from his desktop. If Brescani deleted emails, why are they not being recovered on backup media within <24 hrs?

Also, I would have expected Brescani to remain silent if he had done something wrong, not communicate to the student body and go on the attack. I think something happened in Bismarck, not Fargo. They were tipped off about Brescani, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if they find in the coming days that emails from other University presidents were also deleted. Who do you think Brescani was communicating with?

It's also very intesting how the AG was tipped of to investigate. The whole thing seem pretty fishy to me. Brescani would have to be a complete idiot to think that he could eliminate an email trail by removing it from his desktop. If Brescani deleted emails, why are they not being recovered on backup media within <24 hrs?

Also, I would have expected Brescani to remain silent if he had done something wrong, not communicate to the student body and go on the attack. I think something happened in Bismarck, not Fargo. They were tipped off about Brescani, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if they find in the coming days that emails from other University presidents were also deleted. Who do you think Brescani was communicating with?

AG wasn't tipped off to investigate, he was asked to investigate by legislative counsel after they were told by the university system that emails subject to an open records request were deleted. Nothing fishy about that. Since we're all grasping at straws with limited information here, I'll give my idea of what plausibly occurred.

- Legislator receives tip about Bresciani orchestrating revolt against Shirvani through email (which would be dumb seeing as they know their emails are public, but is certainly possible). The tip may have come from the university system office who was monitoring Bresciani's email (not likely) or it may have come from an individual Bresciani was attempting to conspire with, which is far more likely (see Pres. Coston of DSU, who received a glowing review from Shirvani).

- Legislator goes through Bresciani emails looking for a certain email on a certain date that would make him look bad but doesn't find it. Another possibility is the legislator (or whoever was reviewing the emails) saw messages in certain presidents emails which weren't included in the emails provided by Bresciani.

- Legislator asks university system office if Bresciani emails were deleted.

- University system office IT says they can see 4 GB of data was deleted in the 2 weeks leading up to the open records request, but they can no longer see what that 4GB is because it was deleted more than 2 weeks ago so it has likely been purged from the system.

- University system lawyer asks how many emails could be contained in 4GB of data. IT people tell her up to 45000 emails (but depending on size and attachments, should be far less).

- University system lawyer isn't smart and tells legislator and media that Bresciani deleted 45,000 emails when the number is likely far smaller. Media jump on this and add their own slant and errors to the story (45000 deleted in 1 day rather than over a 2 week period) in addition to the errors made by the system office lawyer.

- IT people tell lawyer she misstated the number of emails and it would be more accurate for her to say 4 gigs of data, but she's too proud/afraid to admit a mistake to the media, especially after the story has blown up.

- A story that shouldn't be that big (Bresciani deletes a couple hundred emails over a 2-week period which may or may not have been related to an open records request filed after the emails were deleted) becomes very large (Bresciani intentionally deletes 45000 emails in a single sitting to avoid open records request!).

- Bresciani, like a rat backed into a corner, fights back and tries to deflect and turn the story into "The University System Office, under the evil Chancellor Hamid "Osama" Shirvani, has hacked my emails in an attempt to undermine my management of the great ND State!!" This leads me to believe something was probably contained in those emails which were deleted and Bresciani doesn't want people to dig any deeper.

So there's my stab at what may have happened. Chances are 70% of what I said is incorrect, but hey, this is a sports message board talking political assassinations and conspiracies so flame away. :devil: Often times in these situations, there are sprinklings of truth which are covered up by a bunch of exaggerations and outright lies.

GT...Bohl...Beck...SU's legal counsel? The possibilities are endless!

Perhaps he was communicating with headhunters after reading the Chronicle of Higher Education, a pharmacy in Mexico for ED refills or some "girl" in Thailand ...

AG wasn't tipped off to investigate, he was asked to investigate by legislative counsel after they were told by the university system that emails subject to an open records request were deleted. Nothing fishy about that. Since we're all grasping at straws with limited information here, I'll give my idea of what plausibly occurred.

- Legislator receives tip about Bresciani orchestrating revolt against Shirvani through email (which would be dumb seeing as they know their emails are public, but is certainly possible). The tip may have come from the university system office who was monitoring Bresciani's email (not likely) or it may have come from an individual Bresciani was attempting to conspire with, which is far more likely (see Pres. Coston of DSU, who received a glowing review from Shirvani).

- Legislator goes through Bresciani emails looking for a certain email on a certain date that would make him look bad but doesn't find it. Another possibility is the legislator (or whoever was reviewing the emails) saw messages in certain presidents emails which weren't included in the emails provided by Bresciani.

- Legislator asks university system office if Bresciani emails were deleted.

- University system office IT says they can see 4 GB of data was deleted in the 2 weeks leading up to the open records request, but they can no longer see what that 4GB is because it was deleted more than 2 weeks ago so it has likely been purged from the system.

- University system lawyer asks how many emails could be contained in 4GB of data. IT people tell her up to 45000 emails (but depending on size and attachments, should be far less).

- University system lawyer isn't smart and tells legislator and media that Bresciani deleted 45,000 emails when the number is likely far smaller. Media jump on this and add their own slant and errors to the story (45000 deleted in 1 day rather than over a 2 week period) in addition to the errors made by the system office lawyer.

- IT people tell lawyer she misstated the number of emails and it would be more accurate for her to say 4 gigs of data, but she's too proud/afraid to admit a mistake to the media, especially after the story has blown up.

- A story that shouldn't be that big (Bresciani deletes a couple hundred emails over a 2-week period which may or may not have been related to an open records request filed after the emails were deleted) becomes very large (Bresciani intentionally deletes 45000 emails in a single sitting to avoid open records request!).

- Bresciani, like a rat backed into a corner, fights back and tries to deflect and turn the story into "The University System Office, under the evil Chancellor Hamid "Osama" Shirvani, has hacked my emails in an attempt to undermine my management of the great ND State!!" This leads me to believe something was probably contained in those emails which were deleted and Bresciani doesn't want people to dig any deeper.

So there's my stab at what may have happened. Chances are 70% of what I said is incorrect, but hey, this is a sports message board talking political assassinations and conspiracies so flame away. :devil: Often times in these situations, there are sprinklings of truth which are covered up by a bunch of exaggerations and outright lies.

So . . . Brescani is just throwing us off the trail of Felonous deeds by stating that his emai account has been compromised by NDUS oversight on numbers occaisions in 2013, huh? You're still going with Brescani delete thousands of emails and lying to the public, instead of the NDUS having a hand in this?

So if he deleted them, the legistators should have them in hand within 24 hours, right? I could get any email I deleted recovered within 24 hours if it was urgently needed through my company. Looks like the NDUS IT Support team is really good . . . or maybe they aren't being very helpful.

No, I would feel the same say if someone said that Kelley deleted 45000 emails in a matter of a few days that could not be found. I would firmly believe that it was not done by him.

You are missing my point. Individuals don't delete emails, they clear them from their desktop, and copies of the emails are on backup media to be retrieved during the required record retain period. If the emails were actually deleted and erased, that would be coming from an IT administrative function with access to the backup, not Brescani.

The other thing . . . 45000 emails deleted in a short period of time? I know how to delete groups of emails, but it would take a long time to delete 45000 especially if done selectively using keywords to delete specific messages. That clearly sounds to me like an activity that was completed by an IT person with administrative access who searched by keyword, sorted, and deleted. Sounds like a setup to me, not something done by Brescani. It's also very intesting how the AG was tipped of to investigate. The whole thing seem pretty fishy to me. Brescani would have to be a complete idiot to think that he could eliminate an email trail by removing it from his desktop. If Brescani deleted emails, why are they not being recovered on backup media within <24 hrs?

What I have been saying all along.

So . . . Brescani is just throwing us off the trail of Felonous deeds by stating that his emai account has been compromised by NDUS oversight on numbers occaisions in 2013, huh? You're still going with Brescani delete thousands of emails and lying to the public, instead of the NDUS having a hand in this?

So if he deleted them, the legistators should have them in hand within 24 hours, right? I could get any email I deleted recovered within 24 hours if it was urgently needed through my company. Looks like the NDUS IT Support team is really good . . . or maybe they aren't being very helpful.

Is this another "everyone is out to get NDSU" situation? Been an awful lot of those in the past 5-6 years.