SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Tennis in the Big Sky

SiouxVolley

UND's Big Sky performance in women's soccer was not good at all. Same may be ahead in softball. But tennis could be really really bad. UND women's tennis team was swept by both Montana's by identical 7-0 match scores. The Montana schools aren't even that good. Sac St totally dominates tennis in the Big Sky with both genders.

Both the men and women on Montana State's teams are largely international students that are rated highly in their own countries, but they still aren't good or deep enough to challenge Sacramento State. It must cost MSU a bunch in scholarship money just to get these international kids.

http://www.msubobcats.com/roster.aspx?path=wten

The UND women's team was at least established. The men's team is just starting out as the UND's latest varsity sport. How exactly will that work out? Thought it was great to get regional kids a chance in men's tennis, but top Twin City kids may not even get UND competitive in the sport.

It was nice to get some of the better recent North Dakota high school players. Oothoudt was a 2 time state singles champion his sophomore and senior years, Bakke won it the year between Oothoudts 2 titles, and McGuigan lost to Oothoudt in the final when Oothoudt won his second. Joe Lee was a solid local player that played in the top 3 on a Red River team that has currently won 15 consecutive state championships. It will be nice to see they area players play, but with them already being sophomores and juniors for the most part it doesn't give them much time to raise the level of the program. It will be interesting to see how the team will compete for recruits with no scholarship money available. Division 1 tennis, for the most part, is comprised of International players and with no scholarship money available at UND, don't look for the tennis program to ever be competing for any sort of title.

It will be interesting to see how the team will compete for recruits with no scholarship money available. Division 1 tennis, for the most part, is comprised of International players and with no scholarship money available at UND, don't look for the tennis program to ever be competing for any sort of title.

Thank you for that. Didn't realize that men's tennis would not even give out partials. Is that true for women's tennis too?

Looked up Sac St tennis, and sure enough it has mostly international players. Would have thought California would have huge numbers of DI ready tennis players.

The men's tennis team opened the season yesterday with a pair of losses: 7-0 to Drake which is ranked #41 in the country, and 3-4 to Western Illinois who was picked to finish 4th out of 6 teams in the Summit.

The women, who were pretty decent back in the NCC days, are 1-8 to start the season, their lone victory coming in the season opener against MSU-Moorhead.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

UND men's tennis finished the year 2-8 in the BSC and 3-15 overall for a 9th place tie with Portland State, only SUU finished worse at 0-10. Women's tennis finished no better at 3-7 in the BSC and 6-13 overall for a 7th place tie with SUU and ISU. I take it UND is not a tennis school. :sad:

UND men's tennis finished the year 2-8 in the BSC and 3-15 overall for a 9th place tie with Portland State, only SUU finished worse at 0-10. Women's tennis finished no better at 3-7 in the BSC and 6-13 overall for a 7th place tie with SUU and ISU. I take it UND is not a tennis school. :sad:

It is only the second year of the men's tennis program and unfortunately UND doesn't have the skills of a guy like Brad Schlossman on the team.

0 ships are give

How many scholarships does UND have overall and what sports don't have any? I think UND should think of offering. Red River is the tennis king of ND, I would think they would want to go to UND but with no schollies there isn't really incentive on the court.

• Upvote 1

Wanna know where the schollies are? Start with Womens Soccer. Almost embarrassing how many they have, and heard they are getting more next year.

Hopefully they start to improve as well. After WBB and VB, I don't really care where the rest of the women's scholarships go (they have to give out enough to be Title 9 compliant).

Hopefully they start to improve as well. After WBB and VB, I don't really care where the rest of the women's scholarships go (they have to give out enough to be Title 9 compliant).

I think they are in good hands, they took major strides this year and were much more competitive in the Big Sky (I went to a few this year and last and notice a considerable difference). I think they will be alright next year and in 2 years they will make their move to the top.

As for tennis, I think the women will be fine. They had a much better record with 4 of the 7 girls being freshman. For the men... beats me.