SiouxSports.com Forum

World Junior Tourney

AZSIOUX

Always a fun tourney to follow and especially with Kristo representing team USA.

nhl network schedule - airing all usa games

anyone have a take on this roster as of now for USA. i heard kristos interview after the 2nd period and he mentioned this team has grit and so forth compared to last years team and a very hard wroking squad. maybe dean will turn it around for USA!

usa hockey wjt page

tsn wjt page

usa hockey site - roster cuts

usa cuts 5

per brad

http://www.areavoices.com/undhockey/

USA's first cuts

The U.S. World Junior team made five cuts after Saturday night's exhibition game against the Sioux -- three defensemen and two forwards.

The defenseman cuts were Justin Faulk, John Merrill and John Moore. The forward cuts are BU's Vinny Saponari, Kenny Ryan and Michigan's David Wohlberg.

Faulk, Merrill and Wohlberg were scratches on Saturday. Moore, the former Colorado College commit, Ryan and Saponari all played.

The Americans will make two more cuts on Wednesday. Then they will have their final roster.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the skill is definitely there, with great coaching to boot. We'll see if they can gain the chemistry and get all that skill to click in time to make a great tournament for USA.

Here's to hopin'! :silly:

This is the only time I find myself rooting for a person that partakes in team functions involving Minnesota, Wisconsin, or Denver.

Why is Canada wearing green jerseys? :silly:

Team Canada beat Sweden 6-2 in an exhibition game (a rematch of last years Gold medal game).

"The Swedes didn't shy away. They were kind of dirty at some times," said forward Stefan Della Rovere. "We like playing the hard-nosed game but they were getting a little chippy at us."

That's quite the quote right there, coming from possibly the dirtiest player in last year's WJC. :)

I just watched the video highlights from the TSN webpage from the CAN/SWE exhibition game.

A Canada player (the Canada team captain, BTW) elbowed a Sweden player in the face on his way to the bench...no penalty was called though.

Sweden was so upset about it that they refused to shake hands after the game.

Oh the World Juniors. We follow it because we love hockey and we usually have one of our own playing it. Very few people in the United States even know it's going on or what it is.

This past weekend however I spent an evening with a Canadian hockey fan at a wedding reception in Minneapolis.. She is originally from Saskatoon and even though she has been living in Fargo since 1972 she still follows the juniors. After she explained to me what Boxing Day was, she then said the only thing she wanted for Christmas was to have Canada beat the USA on New Years Eve. The first word out of a person at our table was "In what?" She then proceeded to explain that in Canada the world juniors are watched in similar fashion to the Super Bowl in the United States.

The reaility is we, and when I see we I mean even us hockey fans from the US, don't truly understand what the big deal is.

Here's hoping though that our boys in red, white, and blue can disappoint all Candians on New Years Eve and also in the medal round.

Oh the World Juniors. We follow it because we love hockey and we usually have one of our own playing it. Very few people in the United States even know it's going on or what it is.

This past weekend however I spent an evening with a Canadian hockey fan at a wedding reception in Minneapolis.. She is originally from Saskatoon and even though she has been living in Fargo since 1972 she still follows the juniors. After she explained to me what Boxing Day was, she then said the only thing she wanted for Christmas was to have Canada beat the USA on New Years Eve. The first word out of a person at our table was "In what?" She then proceeded to explain that in Canada the world juniors are watched in similar fashion to the Super Bowl in the United States.

The reaility is we, and when I see we I mean even us hockey fans from the US, don't truly understand what the big deal is.

Here's hoping though that our boys in red, white, and blue can disappoint all Candians on New Years Eve and also in the medal round.

I think that those of us who attended the World Junior tournament held at the REA witnessed the intensity that Canadians bring to the tourney. It really is one of their major sporting events each year. I'm pretty sure that it is much more important to them than it is to any other country. And they know how to have a good time.

I paid attention to the tournament for years, mainly because so many UND players were in the tournament. But my level of interest has increased a lot since I was able to attend most of the games held here in Grand Forks. It was a great tournament and a great experience. A lot of other people in the region seem to have the same feelings. But you are right, most of the United States has no clue about this tournament or how big it is for our neighbors to the North. And I join you in hoping that the boys in red, white and blue can find a way to disappoint the boys with the red and white maple leafs.

It will be fun watching the Canadian fans boo the USA whenever they play again. :)

It's great to see that the NHL Network is airing a lot of games and all of the USA games.

Hopefully we can give them a reason to boo, instead of just wondering why they like Russia? :silly:

They're not really a UND green. Also, they have black/red gloves, so something tells me the green won't be a permanent fixture for the Canadian team.

juniorsbig_82662.jpg

right, not a UND green...more of a Michigan State green. I wish that i could see the World Juniors as I would love to watch, but alas I can't so lots of updates please!

Is Della Rovere going to be playing again? If so, will he clean up his act or will he be yet another Steve Downie? Last year's Canada team was good but he REALLY put cramp in the style of Canada.

I get that North American hockey is physical and rough. I like that over the pure namby pamby finesse stylings ala European hockey (in truth, the best hockey is a combination of both). However, players like Steve Downie and others (See Top 10 goon moments thread) should really be downplayed.

Della Rovere isn't as cheap as Downie, but he's made a few borderline plays.

The problem in the USA is hockey is a Niche sport and most of our country men and women for some reason would rather basketball. I myself wouldn't walk across the street to watch a basketball (college, professional, highschool) unless my daughter was playing.

former cc recruit who went to major juniors claims bias

i think this may be a very good sign if he isnt what blais was looking for as i dont think blais wants an all usa all star team. moore was in the the ushl last year so im sure dean has seen enough of him to make his decision. go dean, kristo and usa!

article

"I'm not looking for excuses, but I definitely felt like an outsider, not being from the U.S. national development program or from a college program," he said.

"You could see that by the lines and defensive pairs we started camp with, like they knew the group they wanted and it really wasn't about the camp at all."

Watched Canada beat Finland 3-0 tonight in pre-tournament game. Canada outplayed Finns by bigger margin than score indicates. Very physical first period by both teams with Finland not backing down. Alex Pietrangelo (on loan to Canada from St. Louis Blues) looked great - clear that he has been playing at a higher level than everyone else. Brandon Kozun very fast and dangerous around net. Could see signs of why people are saying Taylor Hall could be first overall in 2010 draft as he sniped a beauty. Would have been nice to see at least one NCAA player make Team Canada. Can't understand why Joe Colborne not invited to tryout.

The USA final roster was announced. No surprise with Kristo on it.

http://usahockey.com/world_junior_champion...etailedNews=yes

11 ncaa players

8 major juniors players

2 usa u18 players

1 AHL player

little more info per brad

http://www.areavoices.com/undhockey/

Kristo on final roster

USA Hockey named the final World Junior roster this morning and to nobody's surprise, UND's Danny Kristo is on the squad.

Kristo is the eighth UND player to play in two-plus World Juniors.

The final two cuts were Boston University defenseman Max Nicastro and Michigan forward Chris Brown.

Also of note, Notre Dame forward Kyle Palmieri is on the final roster, so the Irish will be without him at the Chicago tournament. Palmieri has seven points in 19 games for Notre Dame. He's the team's eighth-leading scorer. UND could match up with Notre Dame in the tournament finale.