SiouxSports.com Forum

while we were bemoaning REA atmosphere...

YaneA

Check out Brad's story about the reality of home-ice advantage at the Ralph:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/140607/

The paper edition contains additional jaw-dropping stats including this one: Months since last swept at home:

UND 35 mo.

Denver: 32 mo.

From there, it drops off precipitously for other WCHA teams

...and since it's all Gophers, all the time around here (not!), our friends and fellow scholars from UM are in 9th place, with only 1 month since last swept at home

The paper edition contains additional jaw-dropping stats including this one: Months since last swept at home:

UND 35 mo.

Here is an interesting stat: The Huskies, who are on an 0-4-2 streak at UND's Engelstad Arena.

UND 35 mo.

And there is no way any of it could have been achieved without a chant that has "f*ck" in it.

This article is very representative of how great an atmosphere they have created over there. It's a fun time for everyone. Keep it that way.

Also appears that UND is not the only one who "bemoans" this behavior:

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/259393/

Also appears that UND is not the only one who "bemoans" this behavior:

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/259393/

I've heard Brian Faison talk about how at a previous school, in basketball, after warnings, technical fouls have been dropped onto teams during games for fan behavior.

He doesn't think we're there yet and that the situation can be remedied before coming to that, but he's seen it happen and doesn't want the conference or NCAA to start mandating penalties for fan behavior.

We don't need the cussin' cheers going out over TV just like UMD didn't need this article being written.

I miss the creativity of "Martha Stewart" aimed at that former CC player. I know that creativity is still there. So let's see it! :)

UND says:

Innovative. Creative. Entrepreneurial. Spirited.

I say:

Be better. Be North Dakota.

Those figures from the high profile basketball schools compared to UND's hockey attendance are stunning!

that is pretty amazing! does anyone know what those places hold for attendance? when i was down in omaha, i know the quest center holds around 16,000 or so (guess) for creighton bball games, but not sure how many they actually bring in a game? the only thing i'll say sica, is that hockey is much more regionalized than other sports, and has less fans overall, it is a fact. but i think it is safe to say the hockey fans, college hockey and grand forks in particular are about as loyal a fan base you can find anywhere, any sport!! lets rock the ralph this weekend and sweep the huskies!!

that is pretty amazing! does anyone know what those places hold for attendance? when i was down in omaha, i know the quest center holds around 16,000 or so (guess) for creighton bball games, but not sure how many they actually bring in a game? the only thing i'll say sica, is that hockey is much more regionalized than other sports, and has less fans overall, it is a fact. but i think it is safe to say the hockey fans, college hockey and grand forks in particular are about as loyal a fan base you can find anywhere, any sport!! lets rock the ralph this weekend and sweep the huskies!!

Qwest Center Omaha holds about 17,500 for basketball (16,000 for hockey) and Creighton averages about 15,000 to 16,000 fans per game.

I like those numbers but they don't mean jack. Cameron Indoor at Duke holds less than 10 thousand, yet there is demand for much more than that. Florida's does hold 12,000, but Florida is just becoming a basketball school and has no tradition there. Pauley Pavilion at UCLA also holds over 12,000 and UCLA has tradition so this is surprising. Michigans holds over 13,000 but it has not been a relevant basketball school since the early 90's. So while those numbers look good, thats all they are...just numbers that can be spun in any direction.

I like those numbers but they don't mean jack. Cameron Indoor at Duke holds less than 10 thousand, yet there is demand for much more than that. Florida's does hold 12,000, but Florida is just becoming a basketball school and has no tradition there. Pauley Pavilion at UCLA also holds over 12,000 and UCLA has tradition so this is surprising. Michigans holds over 13,000 but it has not been a relevant basketball school since the early 90's. So while those numbers look good, thats all they are...just numbers that can be spun in any direction.

That is all the bigger their stadiums are? Interesting.

Those figures from the high profile basketball schools compared to UND's hockey attendance are stunning!

Not really considering Duke's Cameron Indoor Stadium's capacity is listed at 9,314.

Here's another stunner: Which school has more undergraduates attending it, Notre Dame or North Dakota?

Not really considering Duke's Cameron Indoor Stadium's capacity is listed at 9,314.

Here's another stunner: Which school has more undergraduates attending it, Notre Dame or North Dakota?

I've heard stories about how a lot of fans who have tickets for Duke games don't even show up for lesser opponents. I know a guy who was in NC for a trip, saw the Duke game on tv that just started, noticed there were empty seats and went over to the arena. Tickets were sold out, but a security guy gave him tickets for free because no one would use them.

A lot of these programs have more national interest than they do locally. UCLA has to contend with a lot of other basketball programs in the area. Two NBA teams and a bunch of other colleges.

But if I remember right from the Herald, that's the only one with less capacity than the REA, isn't it? And wasn't there only 2 of them that averaged 100% capacity?

I've heard stories about how a lot of fans who have tickets for Duke games don't even show up for lesser opponents. I know a guy who was in NC for a trip, saw the Duke game on tv that just started, noticed there were empty seats and went over to the arena. Tickets were sold out, but a security guy gave him tickets for free because no one would use them.

A lot of these programs have more national interest than they do locally. UCLA has to contend with a lot of other basketball programs in the area. Two NBA teams and a bunch of other colleges.

Another reason it is important to be able to deliver your product nationally. FSSN/FCS. :D

But if I remember right from the Herald, that's the only one with less capacity than the REA, isn't it? And wasn't there only 2 of them that averaged 100% capacity?

Yes, but it's still misleading. That being said, has anyone actually seen an NBA game or highlights of one on ESPN lately? Orlando/Cleveland last night looked to be at about 25% capacity, as did Detroit/Charlotte, and Minnesota/Portland. I bet Sioux hockey is outdrawing about half of the teams in the NBA right now.

Yes, but it's still misleading. That being said, has anyone actually seen an NBA game or highlights of one on ESPN lately? Orlando/Cleveland last night looked to be at about 25% capacity, as did Detroit/Charlotte, and Minnesota/Portland. I bet Sioux hockey is outdrawing about half of the teams in the NBA right now.

That's because people are tired of seeing tall men hopping up to the basket and throwing down a ball. It's boring. Raise the hoop.

http://www.uscho.com/preview/college-hocke...ANov122009.html

In this week's USCHO WCHA Preview, Theresa Spisak offers this tidbit:

This is somewhat of a rip on Brad's article, saying that nearly all teams enjoy home-ice advantage.

I think the point of Brad's article was that the perceived success discrepancy between old and new Ralph was, in-fact, an advantage for the new Ralph. Plus, it only accounts for the last 8 years. I bet if you took the numbers above, and adjusted for that short time period, the stats would show more of a current picture. Obviously teams who have been better in the last 10 years would probably have better home records. But it would illustrate the type of run UND has enjoyed versus other teams' home success.

But any way you slice it, not losing at home for an entire season (split between this year and last) is ridiculous. And not being swept at home for two years is also a huge accomplishment.

I'm sure Theresa Spisak is a great person and all that, but I find her column very uninteresting. Does anyone else find her difficult to read? I have given up on her.

Winning at home doesn't necessarily indicate a home-ice advantage, it might just indicate a good team.

Think of the odds of winning as the sum of: how likely you would be to win on neutral ice + any home-ice advantage. Just looking at the sum of the two, how much each team has won at home, doesn't help you determine any home ice advantage.

If UND wins 75% of its road games and 75% of its home games, it has no apparent home ice advantage; whereas if St. Cloud won 0% of its road games but 50% of its home games, that may indicate a huge home ice advantage. In those scenarios, UND's home winning percentage is .75 and SCSU's is only .50, yet playing at home is clearly a much more critical determinant of SCSU's outcomes than UND's.

That said, UND did seem to have a home ice advantage in '08, though it was far less pronounced or even reversed for most of the years between REA opening and 2007. Compare UND's performance at home vs. on the road:

http://siouxsports.com/mens-hockey/standings/2008/

Speaking of bemoaning REA atmosphere....

The Ralph now has a FAN CODE :D

What is a little troubling to me on this issue is if the Fighting Sioux name is retired and someone wears a Sioux jersey to the game will this come into play....

they will enforce a new fan code of conduct that bans offensive messages on signs or clothing
...?

Speaking of bemoaning REA atmosphere....

The Ralph now has a FAN CODE :D

Does anyone know why this information isn't on the GF Herald website? Is this an intentional omission? How is this more relevant for the Forum's readers?

Also, it's interesting to note that the Forum still treats their readers like adults and allows them to comment on articles, while the Herald prevents anyone from speaking their minds on articles that are deemed "controversial."