SiouxSports.com Forum

while we were bemoaning REA atmosphere...

YaneA

Does anyone know why this information isn't on the GF Herald website? Is this an intentional omission? How is this more relevant for the Forum's readers?

Also, it's interesting to note that the Forum still treats their readers like adults and allows them to comment on articles, while the Herald prevents anyone from speaking their minds on articles that are deemed "controversial."

The fan code was in the Herald yesterday, I believe. It may just be the internet vs print version.

The Herald stopped comments on anything related to the Sioux name, largely because there were so many ignoramus comments from both sides. The Forum seems to delight in dragging the Sioux name through scum with any possible method, so keeping anonymous comments open serves their end. The Forum just lambasted the lastest Bottineau court decision with the implication the REA and its lawyer henchmen are interfering with the SBoHE nickname deadline being imposed. While the Jacobs and the Herald are anti-nickname, they realize the aftermath of a nickname removal will be messy: the Forum will take delight in the mess and any harm caused to UND.

What's going on in Minneapolis?

Minnesota hosts Bemidji State in a Saturday-Sunday series. I'm wondering, who is the favorite?

I'm also wondering, since when did hockey fall off the map for some in Minnesota?

It appears the Pioneer Press did not even travel to the Gophers-Badgers series,

nor did it cover the Sam Lofquist departure (other than two sentences from the news release).

The Gophers also are being moved this weekend because Tennessee Tech is playing hoops tonight.

And their series against the Badgers later this season is getting moved because of synchronized swimming (I kid you not).

Maybe some Gopher fans that visit here can show those in power some of the stats from the last post.

http://www.areavoices.com/undhockey/?blog=63978

http://www.areavoices.com/undhockey/?blog=63978

Well most of the student section never shows up and if they do its halfway through the game. Plus the band stopped playing the song that went with penalty cheer. And since the gophers can't score, the funnel cheer never gets done. Which all adds up to the games being very boring

The Timberwolves usually grab the bulk of media attention here lately. The NBA...it's RAP-tastic! :D

Actually, I've wondered about that myself lately. FSN routinely shows Wild games over Gopher games and Gopher games are relegated to tape-delay or not being shown at all. I'm absolutely stunned at the hockey move to Saturday/Sunday to accomodate a bouncy-ball game with Tennessee Tech. It's a good question...perhaps some Gopher fans on the board have some insight...

Well most of the student section never shows up and if they do its halfway through the game. Plus the band stopped playing the song that went with penalty cheer. And since the gophers can't score, the funnel cheer never gets done. Which all adds up to the games being very boring

Oh wow... and synchronized swimming, really?

Winning at home doesn't necessarily indicate a home-ice advantage, it might just indicate a good team.

Think of the odds of winning as the sum of: how likely you would be to win on neutral ice + any home-ice advantage. Just looking at the sum of the two, how much each team has won at home, doesn't help you determine any home ice advantage.

If UND wins 75% of its road games and 75% of its home games, it has no apparent home ice advantage; whereas if St. Cloud won 0% of its road games but 50% of its home games, that may indicate a huge home ice advantage. In those scenarios, UND's home winning percentage is .75 and SCSU's is only .50, yet playing at home is clearly a much more critical determinant of SCSU's outcomes than UND's.

That said, UND did seem to have a home ice advantage in '08, though it was far less pronounced or even reversed for most of the years between REA opening and 2007. Compare UND's performance at home vs. on the road:

http://siouxsports.com/mens-hockey/standings/2008/

I swear, Jim's mind rolls numbers before anything else. :D

Check out Brad's story about the reality of home-ice advantage at the Ralph:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/140607/

The paper edition contains additional jaw-dropping stats including this one: Months since last swept at home:

UND 35 mo.

Denver: 32 mo.

From there, it drops off precipitously for other WCHA teams

...and since it's all Gophers, all the time around here (not!), our friends and fellow scholars from UM are in 9th place, with only 1 month since last swept at home

So, if we get swept this weekend, I first blame Brad for running the story, and than you for starting this thread. :D

If the Ralph was only for College age & older - I could careless what the students yell

I have seen mothers covering the ears of their little ones ears (kinda sad really)

I have a 3 yr old grandson that goes to quite a few games & if he heard the F the goofers chant he would be repeating it

To me it's not worth the harm it brings to all

Move on to something more positive

You can have fun without crap like that :D