SiouxSports.com Forum

Chappell Ineligible

captsioux

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm starting to think all of our athletes in general need to take a step back from the social life and concentrate a little more on school and staying out of trouble, whether it be academically or criminally.

I'm getting a little tired of hearing about all of our players not being able to play.

Are you referring to ALL TWO of which only ONE is academically ineligible. The other ONE is a criminal or are there more?

Can Chappell get up to par taking classes this summer? Or is the fall's academic eligibility based on the Spring semesters grades?

I'm starting to think all of our athletes in general need to take a step back from the social life and concentrate a little more on school and staying out of trouble, whether it be academically or criminally.

I'm getting a little tired of hearing about all of our players not being able to play.

I wish people would stop with the gross over generalizations!! I agree with the other post - you have two athletes that we have had to read about lately. Both situations unfortunately fall back on character or lack thereof. I'm told he is lost for this year and the hope is that he would be back for his Senior season. He was a lot of fun to watch but does not deserve to wear the uniform if he can't perform in the classroom!

Yes I realize only 2 of our football players have been in trouble recently. I believe I said "all our athletes in general"........ That means not only our football team, but all of our athletic teams... And I go to school with all of them (obviously) and I know that most of them (meaning in all sports) don't spend much time on academics, with a few exceptions, so yes I do know what I'm talking about a little tiny bit more than those of you that don't/haven't go(ne) to school with them.

Other than when they're playing, I see UND athletes out at parties/bars/etc more than I see them in class when I have class with them. And I've known people that have taken online quizzes and tests for some of them (not condoning this is right or anything else, but it is true)

My point is that UND athletes should be taking their schooling more seriously. I'm not trying to start anything, so don't jump down my throat for stating my opinion of what I've come to know through my last 3 years at school.

The one thing that gets me a little irritated it that this is end of his 3rd year at und and not his 1st year. Usually, most people by the end of their 3rd year know what they need to do to stay eligible for what ever activity they have to be eligible for. So what I am saying is that this is completely unacceptable and should have never happened.

Unless you've violated HIPPA regulations, you don't know what students' grades are. My 'almost' daughter partied 'hardy' her last year at UND. She could have graduated early but decided to enjoy her fourth year. She graduated with a degree in Chemistry, Magna Cum Laude, 4.0 X's four years, baby!!!. So don't tell me because you see people having too much fun, you KNOW they're not doing well academically. And unless you're able to attend a new class every five minutes, don't expect us to believe that you have classes with all the student athletes!! You don't know who knows what on this board unless they choose to share it, so knock off the

I do know what I'm talking about a little tiny bit more than those of you that don't/haven't go(ne) to school with them.
CRAP!!

You've been jumping down posters throats pretty regular lately, telling newbies what they can and can't post, telling people not to post something in a thread, they need to go to another thread, telling us ad nauseam how you know EVERYBODY! It's your turn to listen.

Cowboy up!

Other than when they're playing, I see UND athletes out at parties/bars/etc more than I see them in class when I have class with them. And I've known people that have taken online quizzes and tests for some of them (not condoning this is right or anything else, but it is true)

My point is that UND athletes should be taking their schooling more seriously. I'm not trying to start anything, so don't jump down my throat for stating my opinion of what I've come to know through my last 3 years at school.

So you're saying, that when UND athletes aren't in season for their specific sport, they are out partying and going to bars? Get out of town.

In reality, a normal UND student is never in season for a sport, and I bet they are frequently at bars as well. They probably miss classes too. It's a shock, I know.

Maybe every student, not just athletes, should take their education a little more seriously. Some definitely do take their education's seriously 24/7, and that's great. But you have to realize, and I'm sure you do, that college students party. Some more often than others. As long as they're not wasting my time and money, they(students/athletes) can do whatever they want.

I'm not criticizing you(SiouxYeahYeah), just quoting you.

And the whole online quiz/test thing is a joke. Teacher's that offer them have to know that kids are cheating. It's rediculous for a professor to think otherwise. Probably the worst thing invented for schooling. Ok, not the worst. Just the dumbest. It just makes teacher's life's easier so they have less stuff to grade.

The one thing that gets me a little irritated it that this is end of his 3rd year at und and not his 1st year. Usually, most people by the end of their 3rd year know what they need to do to stay eligible for what ever activity they have to be eligible for. So what I am saying is that this is completely unacceptable and should have never happened.

I will make an assumption (which I generally do not like to do) from your post. Apparently you have been able to find the balance of attending class and having a social life (I hope you are doing well in your studies). What you describe is that you see players out socially but not attending class. Unless they are sharing their grades with you, you do not KNOW how they are doing academically. I happen to know there are more than a few players that are doing very well in school and do go out socially...the point is that each young man or woman needs to take it upon themselves to find balance. As far as tests and quizzes being taken online...are you implying that athletes are able to do this and other students aren't? If it is the policy of the class for the students to take tests and quizzes in this manner than I don't see the issue.

With or without #4 on or off the field I still won't miss a game! Bottom line for me is that I still love the Sioux and will never stop being a fan. I have been very critical of Mussman over the past years (I think I may have started a "Fire Mussman" thread), but I applaud him for how he dealt with Stroup and Chappell. Granted, I don't think he didn't have much of a choice in Ryan's case; but he certainly isn't going to cut many corners. Despite the adversity at the moment, the Sioux will rise again this Fall with players willing to accept the challenge of being a Sioux in ALL aspects of the game!

How soon before kickoff?

I think Chevy Chase would end this by saying "Holy !@#$! Where's the Tylenol?"

The difference between UND student-athletes and regular students is that the student-athletes are more in the public (hence these message boards) and the things they do are going to be followed more closely than those of non-athletes.

I'm not saying that non-athletes don't have to concentrate on schoolwork and staying out of trouble, I'm saying that those who are watched more closely, the student-athletes, should probably be concentrating on being able to play the sport they came here to play.

Tough loss. I guess we'll get to see more of Josh Murray this year and see how he can handle the load.

It is a tough loss indeed, Chappel has alot of talent. But really, although disappointed, I also realize that as far as the football program goes, Josh Murray is potentially nearly as big of an impact player as Chappel is. Having two running backs of that caliber is a nice.

............I said "all our athletes in general"........ That means not only our football team, but all of our athletic teams... And I go to school with all of them (obviously) and I know that most of them (meaning in all sports) don't spend much time on academics, with a few exceptions, so yes I do know what I'm talking about a little tiny bit more than those of you that don't/haven't go(ne) to school with them.

You must really make the rounds! I find it hard to believe that of the 400+ student-athletes that attend UND that MOST of them put academics on the back-burner. Like you said, you go to school with all of them. So you would know. Out of 13,000+ students you have close knowledge of how seriously

400 or so of those students take their academics. You're doing better than me, because in my four years of living on campus at UND I only knew one student athlete closely. Like I said you must make the rounds! :D

It is a tough loss indeed, Chappel has alot of talent. But really, although disappointed, I also realize that as far as the football program goes, Josh Murray is potentially nearly as big of an impact player as Chappel is. Having two running backs of that caliber is a nice.

You must really make the rounds! I find it hard to believe that of the 400+ student-athletes that attend UND that MOST of them put academics on the back-burner. Like you said, you go to school with all of them. So you would know. Out of 13,000+ students you have close knowledge of how seriously

400 or so of those students take their academics. You're doing better than me, because in my four years of living on campus at UND I only knew one student athlete closely. Like I said you must make the rounds! :D

It's suprising to me that the student athletes are putting academics on the back burner. I seem to remember a few former Sioux football players who are attending medical school (Jed, Jim Miller, and Mike Greenwood) former Sioux football player Mac Schneider attending law school, Quinn Fylling also in attendance at law school. There are several other former athletes just from the last few years who are attending numerous other graduate schools or have successfully received their degrees from UND and are employed in great careers. I guess those guys put their academics on the back burner as well...

Unless you've violated HIPPA regulations, you don't know what students' grades are. My 'almost' daughter partied 'hardy' her last year at UND. She could have graduated early but decided to enjoy her fourth year. She graduated with a degree in Chemistry, Magna Cum Laude, 4.0 X's four years, baby!!!. So don't tell me because you see people having too much fun, you KNOW they're not doing well academically. And unless you're able to attend a new class every five minutes, don't expect us to believe that you have classes with all the student athletes!! You don't know who knows what on this board unless they choose to share it, so knock off the CRAP!!

You've been jumping down posters throats pretty regular lately, telling newbies what they can and can't post, telling people not to post something in a thread, they need to go to another thread, telling us ad nauseam how you know EVERYBODY! It's your turn to listen.

Cowboy up!

Unless you've violated HIPPA regulations, you don't know what students' grades are

FYI-HIPAA is the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996. It covers health info-not grades-but I know what you meant.

Looks like Lennon got getting while the getting was good. Maybe he saw the house of cards starting to fall.

Nice comment DICK! That was totally unnecessary! :D

I hope Ryan uses this to re-examine his priorities - maybe realize a scholarship to pay for a college education will take him a lot further in his life than his legs ever will and he'll buckle down and come back strong. He's extremely athletically talented but can't see the big picture now for whatever reason. I hope he will and best of luck Ryan! I've never been prouder of a GF kid playing for his hometown team and burning the turf like you do. Just realize - your talent WILL waste away but don't waste your opportunity for the rest of your life! It's out there for the taking but you have to decide you want it. (rant over)

Wow people, in sports like all parts of life you have different people with different abilities. I am sure anyone who attended college knows of a person that was talented enough academically that they didn't have to attend most of the classes and still got very good grades. While others never miss class always study, and still struggle with the material. You certianly can't lump all the athletes together about class attendance.

Ryan will be missed this season but he obviously didn't take it as seriously as he should have. As a scholarship athlete, if you are struggling I don't think you should ever miss a class. Athletes should take advantage of all the help the athletic dept. and football team provide. I guess Ryan didn't do that and he and his teammates will suffer a year for it.

Nice comment DICK! That was totally unnecessary! :D

I hope Ryan uses this to re-examine his priorities - maybe realize a scholarship to pay for a college education will take him a lot further in his life than his legs ever will and he'll buckle down and come back strong. He's extremely athletically talented but can't see the big picture now for whatever reason. I hope he will and best of luck Ryan! I've never been prouder of a GF kid playing for his hometown team and burning the turf like you do. Just realize - your talent WILL waste away but don't waste your opportunity for the rest of your life! It's out there for the taking but you have to decide you want it. (rant over)

Ahh, nice comment, POLLYANNA! I'm surprised no one else has brought up the point that poor Mussman has been dealing with issues that maybe should have been dealt with during the prior regime. Keep your head buried in the sand if you like to think different.

I also hope that Chappel makes it back as he is heads and shoulders more electrifying than anyone else on the team.