SiouxSports.com Forum

What is the deal?

octupus99

I'm a little confused. Why did we close the Bison thread? We need a civil war game (South Dakota does not count). Why are we scared to debate the Bison fans over a game? That's the fun of a civil war game. I don't mean any disrespect to Fargo or their fans, but its fun to debate it. It's not personal. A Civil War game would be the healthiest thing for the program. I have an email from Dale Lennon that says there is a standing offer to play NDSU (this was about two months ago) and that they were working on it. So for someone to say we won't play for years doesn't know anything more than anyone else. If the fans demand it, then it might just happen. If we're scare to debate the Bison fans, then I'm scared we'll just hand over our nickname, give up the Goofer series, stop arguing with Goofball and Badger fans, and roll over and die. Football will never work if we're scared of our rivals. Would Michigan fans be scared to say something about Ohio State? Doubtful.

Fair enough. I guess we could also say that we've done "bashing Brian Lee" to death, "second guessing Dave Hakstol" to death, "ripping Tom Bunning" to death, "the cheerleaders in the Ralph" to death, "the nickname possibilites" to death as well.

I apologize to the great Bison fans and in advance to the great Gopher fans as well for when we "rip the Goofers" to death as well.

I received a great letter from Lennon that had me excited about the Bison series and football in general. I didn't put it on here to start a fight with NDSU but a good rivalry debate. If the majority don't want it, then so be it. I'm sorry for daring to say something. The Lennon email is as follows:

Thanks for the interest. The answers to your questions are as follows:

The Alerus will be the home of Fighting Sioux Football. We will sign a long term agreement with the Alerus which will secure us playing there for the next 8-10 years. If the popularity of Sioux football reaches a level where we outgrow the Alerus, we do have plans that would allow us to move football back on campus, but that would only occur if the demand is there.

We do have plans to build an indoor training facility on Campus. We hope to have this completed in the near future (1-5 years). This is a necessity to stay competitive at the next level.

As far as NDSU, we have offered an open invitation to NDSU to play them ASAP. It is currently up to them as to when they want to renew the rivalry. I hope it is in the near future but time will tell.

Hopefully, this answers your questions and again

Topics resurfacing is fine, there are always new people and new things to say.

The problem with the other thread was the appearance that you were just trolling for Bison fans (who I applaud for ignoring it), with statements such as:

Are they going to wuss out on UND again?

A, "So, do you think we'll finally get the rivalry game going again in '09," would've been met with groans some fans sick of the topic, but probably wouldn't have been closed by a moderator.

Fair enough. I was hoping to get some Bison fans into it. I love UND football, what can I say? Point taken.

Of course, we all have different opinions but I would prefer that there be no Bison fans on this site because it normally ends up as a bunch of smack - with many UND fans talking as much smack as Bison fans! Personally, I consider it a waste of my time and very frustrating to have to wade through all this crap to find genuine discussions about UND sports. In my opinion, there is nothing really to talk about Sioux vs. Bison until we start playing each other again - whenever that is!

SU fans - don't be too offended by my comment that I wish there were none of you here. Many of you are respectful and add good insight into some discussions.

For the reasons I stated above, I never go the the Bison site. But if I remember correctly, isn't there a thread just for Sioux/Bison smack?

You won't get an argument from me there. They should be in the same schedule. I respect UND 1's point of view and everyone else's, I just think it would be great if we had a civil war game and pushed the football program to be major league like we do the hockey team. I think with the crew of funny writers on here, we would have a great smack fest with the Bison fans if they ever brought the game back. But yeah, you're right, they should be in the same conference.

I would prefer that there be no Bison fans on this site. Personally, I consider it a waste of my time and very frustrating to have to wade through all this crap to find genuine discussions about UND sports.

Umm, If there is a thread called essentially "NDSU/UND football game: talk smack here": (this thread maybe?)

Why would you have a problem with it? It would have the sole purpose of people to talk smack who enjoy it; a place where other people can go and talk about something you don't enjoy.

Knowing this why would you have a problem with it? Why would you "waste your time" and become frustrated reading it when you know what it is already about.

My general theory (not directed at you) is that a lot of people enjoy talking smack (directly or indirectly with or without knowing it). That is why you see those topics so popular. Lets face it; sometimes it can get "boring" around here with not much to talk about and/or the same old stuff. This is why you might see one thread in this forum have numerous postings per day. It would continuously be at the top of the forum. "Others" would find themselves reading it because they would be curious to what is so "popular" and what people are talking about, even though they know it would be smack. They would then thus eventually find themselves posting there too.....realizing they are doing what they don't want to do "talking smack"....Its like a drug.....just say no. :lol:

In a way it is like a free market economy. If there is no demand for a smack thread it would fall off the front page because no one is talking about it and no one would have to worry about it or reply "lame topic". Otherwise there would be a "market" for it and it would be popular.

*This is not advocating "smack" in anyway. I rarely do it; just like drugs. ;):ohmy:

Of course, we all have different opinions but I would prefer that there be no Bison fans on this site because it normally ends up as a bunch of smack - with many UND fans talking as much smack as Bison fans! Personally, I consider it a waste of my time and very frustrating to have to wade through all this crap to find genuine discussions about UND sports. In my opinion, there is nothing really to talk about Sioux vs. Bison until we start playing each other again - whenever that is!

SU fans - don't be too offended by my comment that I wish there were none of you here. Many of you are respectful and add good insight into some discussions.

For the reasons I stated above, I never go the the Bison site. But if I remember correctly, isn't there a thread just for Sioux/Bison smack?

There used to be a seperate subforum on BV just for UND talk and smack, but Tony got rid of it almost two years ago. In his own words, it was a "very bad experiment." At the time, UND was in the news every couple of weeks for fairly big stuff; the Sioux lawsuit, the final decision to go DI, and a few other things. Each time a story came out, UND talk flared up. Tony thought that by creating a seperate forum, he could contain the mess. It didn't work. After a while, he gave up and closed the subforum. He also tried shutting down UND talk immediately with warnings and suspensions. Some posters reacted very negatively to that and created their own forum: bisonsports.net. In the end, the talk died away as the stories became old news and UND locked into its DI course. There's still some UND talk on the board, but it's not much more than NDSU talk on this one.

Some posters reacted very negatively to that and created their own forum: bisonsports.net. In the end, the talk died away as the stories became old news and UND locked into its DI course. There's still some UND talk on the board, but it's not much more than NDSU talk on this one.

Logic would tell you that is because a lot of those fans went over to bisonsports.net and a lot of the UND talk can be found there. Because as you put it, it essentially started because of the need for a place where people can openly talk about UND without administrator interference.

I actually have never visited the site yet. Is bisonsports.net becoming more popular than Bisonville?

As far as I can tell there's still more traffic on BV than BS.

I'd say there's 10 or so regular posters on BS and probably two-three times that on BV.

Knowing who the administrators/moderators are over at BS, I'd bet there is still two-three times more BS going on there even with less traffic. :glare:

Logic would tell you that is because a lot of those fans went over to bisonsports.net and a lot of the UND talk can be found there. Because as you put it, it essentially started because of the need for a place where people can openly talk about UND without administrator interference.

I actually have never visited the site yet. Is bisonsports.net becoming more popular than Bisonville?

Bisonsports has been running for over a year and has less than 10,000 total posts. Bisonville and Siouxsports get that in about a month.

As for the supposed censorship at Bisonville, I don't have any problem with it. In fact, Jim keeps a tighter rein on this place than Tony does on Bisonville. In both cases, it's their right as the people who pay the bills and run the sites. I respect both of them because they're upfront with their decisions and the reasoning behind them. On the flipside, I am uncomfortable on AnyGivenSaturday because the admin and mods have identities seperate from their normal usernames and they work very hard at keeping everything secret. As for the current situatition at Bisonville, there is still plenty of UND talk, but it's real discussion now, not grade school pissing matches. (The smack section is a different animal, of course. If you stop in there, be sure to take your sense of humor. Most of the posts are meant good naturedly; only a few are truely mean-spirited.)

As for Bisonsports, it's kind of a nice alternative. There's more "real sports" info and discussion at Bisonville, but Bisonsports has some side topics that are either not present or banned at Bisonville(like politics). I don't post there all that often, and I sometimes forget to check it for weeks at a time, but it's a good place to visit occasionally.

Hammersmith hit the nail on the head (terrible pun......I know). Both NDSU sites fill a good niche and it is worth visiting both. I do my posting on Bisonville, but Bison Sports Net is a good site too. I also agree with his view on the operation of Any Given Saturday. I quit posting completely on that site.

No Moderators in hiding on this board or any of the 2 NDSU boards. Everyone knows who we are.....and where we drink beer when we are in town for a game!!

I'm a little confused. Why did we close the Bison thread? We need a civil war game (South Dakota does not count). Why are we scared to debate the Bison fans over a game? That's the fun of a civil war game. I don't mean any disrespect to Fargo or their fans, but its fun to debate it. It's not personal. A Civil War game would be the healthiest thing for the program. I have an email from Dale Lennon that says there is a standing offer to play NDSU (this was about two months ago) and that they were working on it. So for someone to say we won't play for years doesn't know anything more than anyone else. If the fans demand it, then it might just happen. If we're scare to debate the Bison fans, then I'm scared we'll just hand over our nickname, give up the Goofer series, stop arguing with Goofball and Badger fans, and roll over and die. Football will never work if we're scared of our rivals. Would Michigan fans be scared to say something about Ohio State? Doubtful.

The game doesn't count right now for the Bison so there is no reason for them to play UND. And why on earth would they come play in Grand Forks? The last game was in Grand Forks. Maybe down the road we play again but we have more to play for than you right now. We have the playoffs. You guys have pride and that's it.

Yeah yeah, fine fine, in 2008 UND won't be on NDSU's schedule because UND isn't a counter yet.

That changes in 2009.

In 2005 Cal Poly played: UC Davis, U N Colorado, NDSU and SDSU, all of whom were not DI active members yet but all were counters, just as UND will be starting in 2009. Call Poly made the playoffs in 2005.

UND on NDSU's schedule starting in 2009. :silly::):D

Knowing who the administrators/moderators are over at BS, I'd bet there is still two-three times more BS going on there even with less traffic. :silly:

I'm not sure why you would say that BinCity, we have been more then open to all posters no matter who they support. I completely disagree with the more BS with less traffic. We have lots of visitors who don't post just like here I'm sure. You seem to have a chip on your shoulder and there's no reason for it, your welcome to post over at BisonsSports.Net. If not that's fine but if you truly don't visit the site which I'm not sure is the truth how can you honestly have any kind of opinion on it? Think about it, seems kind of foolish to bash it without at least checking it out. Carry on.

I'm not sure why you would say that BinCity, we have been more then open to all posters no matter who they support. I completely disagree with the more BS with less traffic. We have lots of visitors who don't post just like here I'm sure. You seem to have a chip on your shoulder and there's no reason for it, your welcome to post over at BisonsSports.Net. If not that's fine but if you truly don't visit the site which I'm not sure is the truth how can you honestly have any kind of opinion on it? Think about it, seems kind of foolish to bash it without at least checking it out. Carry on.

True - I do enjoy going over to BS over BV. Everyone (yes, even JBB) is pretty civil over there, although some of the same rants happen from time to time. Overall, though, it is pretty good.