SiouxSports.com Forum

Bracketology

sprig

7 WCHA teams making the Dance, but CCHA is the best conference in the country... somebody explain?

There is NO WAY 7 WCHA teams make it and 9 teams from the remaining conferences fill the rest of the slots. For all the talk about how weak the CCHA is, Michigan State is the defending national champion.

The game is played on the ice, folks, not in power rankings and "our .500 seventh place conference team is better than your .750 1st place conference team because our conference is stronger" b.s.!

• Replies 828
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously the other leagues are over represented.

Well, now that you mention it, Michigan and Michigan State were originally WCHA teams. Plus Hockey East really improved after that interlocking schedule in the 1980's, so we can count them as WCHA schools.

That makes it:

WCHA 12

CCHA 1

ECAC 1

AHA 1

CHA 1

Hockey East 0

Does that look better?

There is NO WAY 7 WCHA teams make it and 9 teams from the remaining conferences fill the rest of the slots. For all the talk about how weak the CCHA is, Michigan State is the defending national champion.

The game is played on the ice, folks, not in power rankings and "our .500 seventh place conference team is better than your .750 1st place conference team because our conference is stronger" b.s.!

its a fun dicussion as we know its played on the ice and we also know its just a projection at this point of the season. just interesting to see how teams are place. ive said for a while the wcha will get 5 teams in. 2 will knock eachother off in the wcha playoffs best of 3 series.

That's from the front page at USCHO...

If the Gophers lose ~3 more games, which is likely unless they win the F5, their PWR will not matter. And for that matter, neither will a few WCHA teams with near .500 records.

So if the Gophers have a .500 record and are playing in the Final Five 3rd place game, will Donny still think 3rd place games don't matter?

college hockey news article

and like discussed above there is no way in heck a team under .500 should ever get into the ncaa tourney

I see where you are coming from, but it's a 16 team field. If we really wanted only the best of the best, they should just have made it an 8-team field. If UND, CC, UNH, BC, Michigan, and MSU all played in the same conference and everyone else played in other conferences, should those bottom teams not make it just b/c they are below .500 even though everyone knows they are all in the top 16 in the country? Of course not.

The whole tournament is built for parity, and if parity includes sub .500 teams, then so be it. The fact that the tournament is sudden death proves that.

I don't have a problem with the current format, I just want to see the teams that deserve a chance to win the whole thing get in. The other thing I would like to see is the WCHA powers not be paired up in the regionals. I saw one bracket that had the Sioux, UW, UMD or MSU (can't remember which one) and someone like Mich St. To me that is garbage.

bring it on, not worried about bc in regionals, only f-4's :huh:

This Week's Brackets

Colorado Springs

Providence vs. Colorado College

Minnesota vs. Miami

Madison

Wisconsin vs. New Hampshire

Minnesota State vs. Michigan State

Albany

Army vs. Michigan

St. Cloud State vs. Clarkson

Worcester

Bemidji State vs. North Dakota

Boston College vs. Denver

Conference Breakdown

WCHA - 7

CCHA - 3

HEA - 3

ECAC - 1

CHA - 1

AHA - 1

The best case scenario - we keep winning and Wisco loses enough in post-season to drop out. Then we could go to the closest regional and not worry about playing the host/conf team in game one.

It is also a big sheet, which is an advantage for us, the way this year's team is made up.

I guess I am not seeing it. They are 1 game over as of now. As long as they get 1 win this weekend and avoid a sweep in the playoffs, they can't finish any worse than .500.

I guess the main thing I was pointing out was that rule that I was unfamiliar with. Another thing to think about is that UMD needs wins to get above .500. Therefore, the UMN/UMD games have that on the line. If either team gets swept, it's probably lights out.

Also...some may already know this, but look at UND's overall goals scored vs goals allowed...

http://www.uscho.com/standings/?type=d1?ty...16&gender=m

UND = 104 - 59

CC = 117 - 73

DU = 99 - 75

It's amazing that we have only allowed 9 non-conference goals in 7 games!

a new bracketology will be coming today as it was a mis print regarding the team having to have a .500 record or better overall per

uscho.com

The WCHA has eight teams meeting the NCAA tournament selection criteria after all. A new qualifying provision that seemed to require a team to have at least a .500 overall record for an at-large bid has been identified by the NCAA as a misprint in the 2008 Championship Handbook, in an email received by USCHO.com. According to the NCAA, the handbook is being corrected for republication. That's good news for sub-.500 Minnesota Duluth, currently tied for 13th in the PWR, but not so much for Providence or Notre Dame. Jayson Moy's Bracketology column will be republished later today.

hopefully they change that rule to make it so a team cant get in with a record under .500. pathetic if any team does get in under .500

I guess the main thing I was pointing out was that rule that I was unfamiliar with. Another thing to think about is that UMD needs wins to get above .500. Therefore, the UMN/UMD games have that on the line. If either team gets swept, it's probably lights out.

According to THIS SITE, the ".500 rule" does not exist.

Edit: It seems USCHO got the message too:

A new qualifying provision that seemed to require a team to have at least a .500 overall record for an at-large bid has been identified by the NCAA as a misprint in the 2008 Championship Handbook, in an email received by USCHO.com. .........Jayson Moy's Bracketology column will be republished later today.

a new bracketology will be coming today as it was a mis print regarding the team having to have a .500 record or better overall per

uscho.com

The WCHA has eight teams meeting the NCAA tournament selection criteria after all. A new qualifying provision that seemed to require a team to have at least a .500 overall record for an at-large bid has been identified by the NCAA as a misprint in the 2008 Championship Handbook, in an email received by USCHO.com. According to the NCAA, the handbook is being corrected for republication. That's good news for sub-.500 Minnesota Duluth, currently tied for 13th in the PWR, but not so much for Providence or Notre Dame. Jayson Moy's Bracketology column will be republished later today.

hopefully they change that rule to make it so a team cant get in with a record under .500. pathetic if any team does get in under .500

The dangers of cut and paste. And with Maturi as the committee chair, it's unlikely to change, at least until the Gophers finish on or over .500

I'd rather see MDU get in, as it stands currently, than Providence or Notre Dame. Would also like to see MDU sweep MN.

Eight teams will no doubt dictate a first round conference matchup, once again. The WCHA playoffs may take care of this problem.

The dangers of cut and paste. And with Maturi as the committee chair, it's unlikely to change, at least until the Gophers finish on or over .500

I'd rather see MDU get in, as it stands currently, than Providence or Notre Dame. Would also like to see MDU sweep MN.

Eight teams will no doubt dictate a first round conference matchup, once again. The WCHA playoffs may take care of this problem.

8 teams wont get in, it will be 5 more than likely as wcha first round matchups will knock 2 or 3 out off their bubble.

8 teams wont get in, it will be 5 more than likely as wcha first round matchups will knock 2 or 3 out off their bubble.

Agree, I was merely referring to this week's bracketology (when it's back).

Agree, I was merely referring to this week's bracketology (when it's back).

oh yeah, for sure. its fun looking at it as of now just for that reason as its crazy to see 8 teams in but in the end we all know there wont be that many

While I don't believe that 8 teams will make it in, I'm not sure why everyone thinks that all the bubble teams will fall out. Sure, if UMD is swept by Minnesota and then swept in the playoffs they won't make it, but if they can split with the Gophers and take a playoff series to 3 games, I don't think it is impossible for them to make it. The teams on the wrong side of the bubble are going to have to lose games as well, unless they win out and then they would get the autobid anyway. Notre Dame is hurt by being a #4 seed. They will have a tough matchup in the 2nd round and could easily be knocked out. The same holds true for Princeton. The WCHA teams all just keep helping each others' RPI and TUC records. Michigan Tech's TUC status will likely be a big factor for the lower tier WCHA bubble teams. The other big threat are upsets in Hockey East and the ECAC especially. Clarkson is likely in, even if they get swept in the first round. That's this fan's take.

While I don't believe that 8 teams will make it in, I'm not sure why everyone thinks that all the bubble teams will fall out. Sure, if UMD is swept by Minnesota and then swept in the playoffs they won't make it, but if they can split with the Gophers and take a playoff series to 3 games, I don't think it is impossible for them to make it. The teams on the wrong side of the bubble are going to have to lose games as well, unless they win out and then they would get the autobid anyway. Notre Dame is hurt by being a #4 seed. They will have a tough matchup in the 2nd round and could easily be knocked out. The same holds true for Princeton. The WCHA teams all just keep helping each others' RPI and TUC records. Michigan Tech's TUC status will likely be a big factor for the lower tier WCHA bubble teams. The other big threat are upsets in Hockey East and the ECAC especially. Clarkson is likely in, even if they get swept in the first round. That's this fan's take.

i said 5 will make it having 3 bubble teams not making it especially if they get swept in the wcha playoffs. now if you win one, lose one and win game 3 then lose in the thursday play in game you can also get bounced depending on what happens around the country and who you lose to.

My 3rd(?) day's take on the Monday's news:

This bracket is seriously favoring CC. Providence will put up less resistance than tUMD would (please, they are only sub .500 because they don't have finishers). IIRC Army would face Minnesota (or is it Miami?)! Either way, Minnesota could put Frazee or even Solei in net and still win. CC would then crush Minnesota.

If that turns out to be the final bracket for that regional, an early congrats to CC.