SiouxSports.com Forum

Bracketology

sprig

• Replies 828
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i wouldn't mind mass.-lowel or notre dame for first round... denver is a tough draw next, but at that point anyone will be. pretty nice bracket compared to the last few seasons.

USCHO Pairwise

Miami Schedule

UNH Schedule

It looks like an uphill battle to get into the top 4, if you look at the PWR comparisons between us and UNH/Miami.

Looking at their schedules, it would be hard to overcome either team in Common Opponent comparison - we could gain on UNH if BC would sweep them - we are done with COP v. Miami, unless they play MSU in the playoffs. Also they don't play many teams down the streach that are "Under Consideration/ TUC"

Also, our RPI will improve with a few more sweeps, but our Schedule Strength will start to go down, playing teams like MSU, UAA, BSU, and yes, UMTC (imagine that).

Looking at their schedules, it would be hard to overcome either team in Common Opponent comparison - we could gain on UNH if BC would sweep them - we are done with COP v. Miami, unless they play MSU in the playoffs. Also they don't play many teams down the streach that are "Under Consideration/ TUC"

I would think Miami's lack of a tough schedule will hurt them if they happen to lose a couple games to those weaker opponents.

It's certainly not their SOS that is keeping them afloat as a #1 seed.

What really stands out there is that only 3 WCHA teams make the tournament. Of course that's a failure of the PWR, not the bracketology.

Still considering that we are the strongest conference in strength of schedule there's something amiss.

Yeah, I noticed the 3 WCHA teams too. Disappointing, but it shows you that you can't slack and that's where these slow first halves might bite us down the road somewhere.

I'll keep saying it. Strength of schedule just isn't that important anymore with the changes in the RPI formula. The most direct measure of your schedule strength is Opponents Winning Percentage. That was de-emphasized from 50% of your RPI to 21% of your RPI. The tweak was put in place to limit the negative impact of some wins on teams RPI when they played an oppponent with a bad record. The unintended consequence was a complete dilution of the SOS. Now winning percentage matters most because that is where there is the biggest separation between teams. It was stupid from the start and the WCHA coaches were fools to give their advantage away.

i think scsu will win a few down the stretch to grab a late spot in the tourney and get beat first round again ;) leaving und, cc and du...hopefully all 3 can somehow get 1 seeds so we get seperated with michigna as the 4th #1 seed :D or we may play both du and cc in te final 5 creating some interesting scenerios in the end...uscho sure starts this early but always a good water cooler talk

I would think Miami's lack of a tough schedule will hurt them if they happen to lose a couple games to those weaker opponents.

i think it will bite them no matter what come 2nd round and they have to play a decent hockey east or wcha team

I am totally not impressed with how easy their schedule is, If UND had played those games to date I have no doubt that the Sioux would have 18-21 wins as well. If you look at Michigan's there isn't that good either. I don't get it?

I am totally not impressed with how easy their schedule is, If UND had played those games to date I have no doubt that the Sioux would have 18-21 wins as well. If you look at Michigan's there isn't that good either. I don't get it?

I agree, but until the tourney selection uses KRACH, or PWR increases the value of SOS, Mich. and Miami will remain #1 seeds. I'd guess only the WCHA would support a heavier weight to SOS.

I agree, but until the tourney selection uses KRACH, or PWR increases the value of SOS, Mich. and Miami will remain #1 seeds. I'd guess only the WCHA would support a heavier weight to SOS.

Even KRACH doesn't rank the WCHA schools that high. We've got positions 13-16. Probably Wisconsin at #13 would be the only team to get in under KRACH what with the autobids. Still the others aren't that far out.

Still the PWR's the way it is. Glad we've done well enough to be locked in. In the last couple years weren't we on the outside looking in at this point?

2nd week

http://www.uscho.com/news/college-hockey/i...yJan222008.html

we will work our way into a 1 seed in the end........., just keep winning and get a few couple losses here and there up top

college hockey news talks about the TUC rule, right now 9 wcha teams are a TUC i believe, msu being barley in and uaa out of course

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2008/01/22_beware.php

ncaa tourney helper

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/info/?d=pwcrpi

2nd week

http://www.uscho.com/news/college-hockey/i...yJan222008.html

we will work our way into a 1 seed in the end........., just keep winning and get a few couple losses here and there up top

I don't like the idea of having to play CC in its own backyard. That's the only WCHA team that scares me against UND right now. They are extremely fast and talented and I'm not sure we match up great with them. A lot has changed since we played, but it still wouldn't be a lot of fun. I'd prefer to go out East somewhere and play anyone on a neutral site, even if it is a WCHA team.

So someone explain to me why with only 3 WCHA teams in the regionals, why do they have 2 of them in the same regional other than attendence. Seems like a rip for the WCHA to me. (there's probably a good reason, but I'm a real homer)

just read the uscho explinations, that may help. doesnt mean this would happen with 2 months left in the season but theres a good chance if they can put 2 wcha teams in same regional it would prevent a columbus style f-4 when we had all 4 in there. i think scsu will sneak in as the 4th wcha team and they will be in a regional another wcha team. just keep winning sioux and msu winning will help a little with points as well if they stay as a TUC but with 8 other wcha teams in as TUCS right now thats a good thing

just read the uscho explinations, that may help. doesnt mean this would happen with 2 months left in the season but theres a good chance if they can put 2 wcha teams in same regional it would prevent a columbus style f-4 when we had all 4 in there. i think scsu will sneak in as the 4th wcha team and they will be in a regional another wcha team. just keep winning sioux and msu winning will help a little with points as well if they stay as a TUC but with 8 other wcha teams in as TUCS right now thats a good thing

someday ill have to figure all this out and understand it ;) year by year i gain a little more knowledge without doing any research but Ill just have to buckle up understand all of it. As a die hard sioux fan i should know these things, inside and out :D