SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX vs MICHIGAN TECH

AZSIOUX

And it probably doesn't matter who is in net for MTU. The Sioux sometimes have a habit of making a goalie look very good by shooting it directly into his chest, while other nights making him look foolish and hanging 5 or 6 goals on him.

Now that you mention it wasn't Nolan in net for the 6-2 victory in Houghton this fall?

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that you mention it wasn't Nolan in net for the 6-2 victory in Houghton this fall?

No... it was Nolan in net for the 6-0 Sioux victory. :D

BUTTTTT... like I said... Nolan is now back to his old self... and if you recall, his old self in the Sioux-sweepin' type. icon10.gif

And brianvf: How many times are you going to have to break my heart before I can't take anymore? ;)

No... it was Nolan in net for the 6-0 Sioux victory. :D

BUTTTTT... like I said... Nolan is now back to his old self... and if you recall, his old self in the Sioux-sweepin' type. icon10.gif

And brianvf: How many times are you going to have to break my heart before I can't take anymore? ;)

DUNN for SCSU was on a roll until he met the Sioux ;) I know MTU has two very good goalies and they play a defensive style play of

Hockey so UND is going to have to be on their game to beat the MTU Huskies. More smash mouth hockey.

I hope the coach's kid is feeling well for more reasons than one.

How is he doing?

I think Ben is doing much better now. He went home several weeks ago and I haven't heard really much of anything since then. I think it's just been an upward climb since the UW series (which was right after the MTU-UND split at Tech). I'm really thinking no news is good news here. It was definitely an emotional thing for the team and clearly for Coach Russell.

Brianvf: I hope you don't hurt me anymore. I WILL be at the F5 and the F4...

I personaly feel the Sioux have stepped backwords on Defense this year. How much do we miss Brad Berry. I think Dane has done a good job with the players one on one. (kozek) but we don't have a true defensive coach. What do you all think?

I personaly feel the Sioux have stepped backwords on Defense this year. How much do we miss Brad Berry. I think Dane has done a good job with the players one on one. (kozek) but we don't have a true defensive coach. What do you all think?

Defensively UND is 5th in the conference in GAA. That isn't too bad in my opinion.

1.) Denver 26

2.) Colorado 27

3.) Michigan Tech 33

3.) Wisconsin 33

5.) UND 34

5.) MSU-M 34

7.) Minnesota 35

8.) UAA 39

9.) UMD 40

10.) SCSU 42

Scoring wise UND is 2nd Not too bad for a team that people say is a one trick poney.

1.) Colorado 51

2.) DU 45

2.) UND 45

4.) SCSU 40

5.) UMD 34

6.) Minnesota 29

7.) UAA 27

7.) MTU 27

9.) Wisconsin 25

10.) MSU-M

Defensively UND is 5th in the conference in GAA. That isn't too bad in my opinion.

1.) Denver 26

2.) Colorado 27

3.) Michigan Tech 33

3.) Wisconsin 33

5.) UND 34

5.) MSU-M 34

7.) Minnesota 35

8.) UAA 39

9.) UMD 40

10.) SCSU 42

With our returning Defensemen middle of the pack is below expectations.

Well I hope they can pick it up a bit and finish near the top. I think the style of play UND uses might faciliate some of this. The Fire wagon or race horse hockey brand of hockey UND plays mean that they aren't always focusing on Defense, I can remember numerous odd man rushes this season.

Goon I love reading your blog but you can't tell me that our defense is the same caliber it was when Brad Berry was here. Finaly seems to have made huge strides without him and Jones seems to hold his own but I am disappointed in Bina and Chorney. (defensive wise any ways). The freshman are playin like Freshman. I just don't feel like Chorney is playing like an all american defensemen. I enjoy everyone's comments and this might need a thread of it's own.

True dat....middle of the pack is !@#!$ for what we had coming back. Berry was a great D coach but he is gone. That is no excuse for this years upperclassmen laden D corps to be playing mediocre at best.

True dat....middle of the pack is !@#!$ for what we had coming back. Berry was a great D coach but he is gone. That is no excuse for this years upperclassmen laden D corps to be playing mediocre at best.

I like Genoway back at Defense. Nobody notices Jones which is his style of play. Finley has been playing well. Chorney and Bina maybe jump to much into the Offensive side. IMHO. The two Freshman are playing like freshman.

LaPoint has hardly played like a freshman. The couple times he did get beat he was hung out to dry by whoever he was playing defense with. He's more physical than pussy Marto (who NEVER steps up on a guy) and knows how to take a guy out of a play completely, unlike most of our whole defense. His offense is more there than most of our defenseman also, and doesn't get beat as often in the process.

I was at the Holiday inn (sugars) after the Sat night Goof game and was talking to Woog and he commented specifically how he thought Chorney would be one of the best dmen along with Butler in the WCHA this year. He was surprised to see how he had regressed compared to last year. Now granted this is Woog but he has a pretty good hockey eye and based on what i have seen i would have to agree with him.

LaPoint has hardly played like a freshman. The couple times he did get beat he was hung out to dry by whoever he was playing defense with. He's more physical than pussy Marto (who NEVER steps up on a guy) and knows how to take a guy out of a play completely, unlike most of our whole defense. His offense is more there than most of our defenseman also, and doesn't get beat as often in the process.

Thank you! I could never figure out why LaPoint was wearing a cape, or what that "S" was on his chest. I thought it stood for "Sioux," but now I know it stands for "Super-D."

Note for supporters of a particular player: Try to support the player without tearing down his teammates, and try to keep the support rational. I personally am very pleased with both freshmen defensemen, but I disagree with all or part of each of the four sentences in your post. Best of luck to both LaPoint and Marto.

I was watching the goals against Manitoba the other day and all lines were very productive on that night. Would it be smart of Hak to go back to those line combinations?

maybe it would be smart to schedule more games against manitoba :D i don't know what to think about line combonations. hak has tried quite a few different ones this season, and we are still inconsistent. i hope whatever the magical combos are, hak finds them soon, because splits are no longer an option for this team if they want to participate in the ncaas and make another run at #8. i know right now the sioux have had the toughest schedule and would safely be in the tourney, but to do anything, this team needs to come together and make a bit of a run. same old story i guess, i just hope it follows the previous few years scripts, up until the ff, where they will finally win ;)

The freshmen are playing like freshmen. Marto is -5 this year.

Even though Taylor is having a down year from a specatator's perspective interestingly enough he is Even this year, and even on his career.

I for one am much more comfortable with him on the ice than either of the freshmen.

As for line combos. I think he might've hit on it this weekend. We lost Friday without the Osh. Even when he's not scoring, the other team has to respect the fact that he is on the ice.

I see Vande becoming CHris Porter. He is even almost as good looking :D

Vande with Watkins and Kaip is a very strong second line. They can grind in the corners, they can skate, and they can score (this year)

As the season evolves, I like some of the earlier combos too, but I don't see them in practice. Clearly Zajac, Radke and Martens must be doing it in practice to keep logging the ice time. They are not producing in games. Although, Radke's presence on the bench and on the ice has seemed to result in the team playing better hockey. I wonder if Hak has thought about moving him back to his "home" on the point. he would be rusty, probably and would be a liability at this point in the season.

Oddly enough, despite scoring some goals this year, Kozek hasn't been given the first line assignment with Osh and Duncs. That might be an interesting change up.

Duncan spoke highly to the public about Matt Frattin early on, he could maybe get his crack

What if we did:

Oshie with Duncan and Kozek

Vande with Kaip and Watkins

Zajac with Martens and Radke

Trupp with Frattin and Malone

sorry Miller, you're not doing it

Chorney and Bina

Finley and Genoway

Lapointe and Jones

sorry Jake, you log ice next year.