SiouxSports.com Forum

Oshie suspended one game

UND92,96

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

College hockey players have been doing this kind of thing at most schools for 50 years or more. The difference now is that police departments, school administrations and coaches are no longer able to sweep this kind of thing under the rug... Society has become much more transparent and the media and personal communications much more pervasisve.

And I don't think you can reasonably compare UND hockey players to regular UND students - they are not regualr students like you and I. UND hockey players VERY SPECIAL and very different from you and I. They are given thousands of dollars in free education, the best facilities, equipment and coaching in America, great media exposure and instant celebrity status as the most important, high profile athletes in the state. UND is also a very high profile hockey program that has a very proud tradition and is rightfully seen as one the very best in the country. In return for their talents, the players wear the name of their university and state on their chests, and represent your school and your state to all others. Wearing that jersey should be a tremendous privilege for each Sioux player, and when they sign on the dotted line, a player needs to understand that, along with the great rewards that come with it, as school and state ambassadors, they also take on certain responsibilities to act in a manner that brings honor to their school and state. That repsonsibility should include acting in an exemplary manner -- not getting arrested. If they want to party and get into trouble like regular students do, then great - just don't be a D-I athlete then.

That's what I was trying to say. :lol: Excellent post.

I was going to post a picture of scottm's favorite mag, however I just don't know where to find a copy of "Sailor's Porthole." Sorry, I hope I haven't let you down like a certain hockey player we have been discussing. :lol:

Good one, sycophant. I'm impressed you could manage a post without the usual quota of typos and awful grammar. If your past posts are any indication, I'm sure with your keen wit and intellect, you can look forward to a rewarding career bobbing for apples in parking lots for $5/pop.

anyways, I'm done on this thread. Good luck this weekend Osh!

I hope we get a good turnout this weekend from Sioux fans! Drive safe everybody! :lol:

Gotcha - just seemed like dangling a carrot - but i understand the drive to want to protect someone without telling tales out of class. I am sure it isn't easy for you to have the knowledge to set the story straight but not the permission. I hope you understand I wasn't trying to attack you. I think I understand your intent better now.

College hockey players have been doing this kind of thing at most schools for 50 years or more. The difference now is that police departments, school administrations and coaches are no longer able to sweep this kind of thing under the rug... Society has become much more transparent and the media and personal communications much more pervasisve.

And I don't think you can reasonably compare UND hockey players to regular UND students - they are not regualr students like you and I. UND hockey players VERY SPECIAL and very different from you and I. They are given thousands of dollars in free education, the best facilities, equipment and coaching in America, great media exposure and instant celebrity status as the most important, high profile athletes in the state. UND is also a very high profile hockey program that has a very proud tradition and is rightfully seen as one the very best in the country. In return for their talents, the players wear the name of their university and state on their chests, and represent your school and your state to all others. Wearing that jersey should be a tremendous privilege for each Sioux player, and when they sign on the dotted line, a player needs to understand that, along with the great rewards that come with it, as school and state ambassadors, they also take on certain responsibilities to act in a manner that brings honor to their school and state. That repsonsibility should include acting in an exemplary manner -- not getting arrested. If they want to party and get into trouble like regular students do, then great - just don't be a D-I athlete then.

The most rational and realistic post in the thread and it had to come from a Pioneers fan.

Good one, sycophant. I'm impressed you could manage a post without the usual quota of typos and awful grammar. If your past posts are any indication, I'm sure with your keen wit and intellect, you can look forward to a rewarding career bobbing for apples in parking lots for $5/pop.

Let's see here, legal expert, grammar teacher, enforcer of collge hockey player's morallity, too bad your head is stuck so far up your ass you can't wear any of those hat's well.

Everyone -- stop attacking other posters. Discussion on Oshie's suspension, the circumstances of the incident, and his role as a public figure are quite on topic, and can be disagreed on without resorting to attacking the other posters with whom you disagree.

But that would take away all of the fun... :lol:

TJ Oshie getting into a fight with an opposing player in an elevator is about the best thing that has happened for our team since winning the regional championship game last year.

For those of you astute enough to realize it, our season last year was salvaged by a Kiap fight against UAA that saved our honor at the Ralph from utter embarrassment (no thanks to lame home crowds not helping matters). Fighting is part of hockey (despite the NCAA meddling in the character of the sport) and this fight will go down in the annals of College hockey lore- something fans in grand forks seem to have forgotten about in recent years. Ya it wasn't on the ice but I'll put my money on the, it will be a classic.

For those of you wanting to write this as a character assassination on Oshie, you're all lame limp politically correct droids. You have no touch with reality. Go clean your garage you probably missed a spot. You deserve the wash of the media spew you think is news.

You worry about your kids being disappointed by Oshie's fistfight, you are disappointed in his letdown as a role model. Go buy your kids X-men or Fantastic Four. Maybe go with Rambo or turn on some classic Clint fightwood movie. Maybe some Chuck Norris? Heck you live in Grand Forks go send em to the military, Maybe the national guard, where they can learn to defend North Dakota in IRAQ or Afghanistan with an M-16. Kill'n people always makes thing so much better you know.

Just anything to get them to stop looking up to the kid who turned down a million dollars to kick some opposing players *ss in an elevator. That could destroy his sensitivities for life.

Hey maybe Oshie could go to New England and play for Belichick!

Oh by the way try making some noise at a homegame, I know it's winter time in North Dakota but they have medication for that now.. Wake up and get some passion for a team your lucky to have.

Losers!

TJ Oshie getting into a fight with an opposing player in an elevator is about the best thing that has happened for our team since winning the regional championship game last year.

For those of you astute enough to realize it, our season last year was salvaged by a Kiap fight against UAA that saved our honor at the Ralph from utter embarrassment (no thanks to lame home crowds not helping matters). Fighting is part of hockey (despite the NCAA meddling in the character of the sport) and this fight will go down in the annals of College hockey lore- something fans in grand forks seem to have forgotten about in recent years. Ya it wasn't on the ice but I'll put my money on the, it will be a classic.

For those of you wanting to write this as a character assassination on Oshie, you're all lame limp politically correct droids. You have no touch with reality. Go clean your garage you probably missed a spot. You deserve the wash of the media spew you think is news.

You worry about your kids being disappointed by Oshie's fistfight, you are disappointed in his letdown as a role model. Go buy your kids X-men or Fantastic Four. Maybe go with Rambo or turn on some classic Clint fightwood movie. Maybe some Chuck Norris? Heck you live in Grand Forks go send em to the military, Maybe the national guard, where they can learn to defend North Dakota in IRAQ or Afghanistan with an M-16. Kill'n people always makes thing so much better you know.

Just anything to get them to stop looking up to the kid who turned down a million dollars to kick some opposing players *ss in an elevator. That could destroy his sensitivities for life.

Oh by the way try making some noise at a homegame, I know it's winter time in North Dakota but they have medication for that now.. Wake up and get some passion for a team your lucky to have.

Losers!

Thanks for the novel about how this fight is going to turn the season around.

BTW, Oshie wasn't in a fight.

TJ Oshie got arrested.

Not warned, not cited, arrested.

The cops don't do that lightly lest they be sued.

Yet, they did.

Ask yourself: How many times have you been arrested?

No matter how you look at this, an arrest does not shine proudly on the University of North Dakota.

Shine proudly on the University of North Dakota in all you do.

Losers!

WHOA, FIRST DON'T EVER COMPARE ANYONE OR ANYTHING TO THE ARMED SERVICES! KILLING DOES NOT MAKE THINGS MUCH BETTER! YOU PROBABLY SAID IT SARCASTICLY BUT IT WAS A WRONG CHOICE OF WORDS! UNTIL YOU GO AND DEFEND THIS COUNTRYS HONOR DON'T SAY ANYTHING LIKE THAT AGAIN, THAT KIND OF GARBAGE DOES NOT BELONG HERE!

First off, all you folks who are bashing TJ Oshie .... SHUT UP! Secondly, this is his problem and nobody elses. Let it go. He's a 21-year old man that has faced adversity much of his life and always pulls through.

The details of this incident will surface soon enough.

You people are the same ones who are praising him when we make the Frozen Four the past two years and he plays through extremely horrendous injuries of which the general public has no idea. He wears that jersey w/ pride, passion and determination. You praise him when he exceeds all your expectations and now when he needs the support everyone bashes him.

You are all nothing but fair weather fans. Get off your high horses and stick by kids like TJ Oshie.

Oh, and why didn't he sign w/ the St. Louis Blues?

Because he loves this university, he loves this community, he loves his teammates and coaches. Should he have left last summer?

Almost everyone in their right mind said YES.

But he came back to capture something this university has only done 7 times in the 61 years of a hockey program. He came back because of brotherhood, camaraderie, and helping this team win a National Championship. Nothing more, nothing less.

You find out the character of people in times of distress or adversity. Go ahead and jump off the bandwagon. This kid won't bolt because he has integrity and his word IS AS SOLID AS OAK!

Take a good hard look at everyone on this board and tell me, honestly, you've never did something you might regret if you got caught. I can only imagine the stories which would fill up a sermon on Sunday's.

Stick with these kids and support them through thick and thin. You should feel blessed that kids like TJ Oshie don't come around very often.

To all haters out there who thinks this doesn't hurt his soul ... shame on you.

I agree 110%

I find it funny how so many people on this board think lack of personal accountability is acceptable....just a blame it on someone else mentality. I don't have any idea what occurred that night but one thing I do know is that Hak, who does know what happened, has suspended one of our best players on the team heading into a crucial series on the road. To pass this off as something that is no big deal is just plan assanine as Hak deemed it a big enough issue to suspend Oshie.

That does not change my opinion of Oshie - great player and an even better person.

there was hand-wringing, tearing of clothes, gnashing teeth. yes the day t.j. oshie was arrested for disorderly conduct was a dark day in the history of America. but somehow, through the darkness, a group of posters on a message board stood up for righteousness and denounced this rogue, oshie.

and from that day on, no UND hockey player EVER did anything wrong again.

I agree... seems that the 'creative writing' is a way to sell more fish wrappers. I hate issues like this because I am a former Sioux athlete and alumni of UND. I know what it's like to be in college and also a student athlete. I wasn't perfect either, non of us are. So quit throwing stones and let's get back to being united and cheering and supporting our team. A buddy of mine from SCSU said he has been loving reading how the Sioux Fans are all fighting against each other on this site. Let's give em' something to read after this weekend about how our team picked up the pace for a warrior not in action Friday night. Let's Go Sioux! Let's Go Sioux!

This thread is a bunch of overreacting to all the overreacters. :lol:

I hope (against reason, I know), that I'm not overreacting by being disappointed in the fact that TJ was busted and suspended for a game. I think he is a great hockey player and, by all accounts, a stand up guy. But he has also made some poor choices that have caused him, his family, the team, and to a lesser extent, the fans, a bit of grief.

I find it sadly humorous that the most strident voices protesting the discussion of this latest incident are saying "it's no big deal, why all the fuss?"

None of the posters on this thread, as far as I know, work for USA Today, the Herald, or any east coast papers. So, someone besides us fans think it IS a big deal. The people who think it is not a big deal, what do you think should be the fans' reaction? What would be reasonable in your viewpoint?

I'm not, in any way, shape, or form, saying that TJ Oshie is a bad guy, a criminal, should be punished, thrown off the team, etc. I'm not being hysterical, unreasonable, or angry in my disappointment that he made a poor decision and got arrested. Apparently some on this board would disagree, so you tell me, what my reaction SHOULD be?

I await your responses with bated breath.

I hope (against reason, I know), that I'm not overreacting by being disappointed in the fact that TJ was busted and suspended for a game. I think he is a great hockey player and, by all accounts, a stand up guy. But he has also made some poor choices that have caused him, his family, the team, and to a lesser extent, the fans, a bit of grief.

I find it sadly humorous that the most strident voices protesting the discussion of this latest incident are saying "it's no big deal, why all the fuss?"

None of the posters on this thread, as far as I know, work for USA Today, the Herald, or any east coast papers. So, someone besides us fans think it IS a big deal. The people who think it is not a big deal, what do you think should be the fans' reaction? What would be reasonable in your viewpoint?

I'm not, in any way, shape, or form, saying that TJ Oshie is a bad guy, a criminal, should be punished, thrown off the team, etc. I'm not being hysterical, unreasonable, or angry in my disappointment that he made a poor decision and got arrested. Apparently some on this board would disagree, so you tell me, what my reaction SHOULD be?

I await your responses with bated breath.

I think it might be reasonable to be dissapointed in the fact that he is suspended, but not the arrest itself. Being suspended hurts the team and is something that should be avoided so I can see people being dissapointed in that fact. I personally am ok even with that because I feel I should only be dissapointed if the team is and I don't think they are. I am sure others break team rules as well and so they are not quick to judge. We dont' even know which team rule he broke (it may have been curfew and I doubt we would see this reaction if someone else broke a similar team rule). As for being dissapointed in the actual arrest, I don't think we have a right to be upset beause he let our kids down or somehow sullied the great name of UND. He is a student who got arrested. Since he is an athlete, his suspension should have made the sports because it affects the team, but not his arrest. I don't believe in this new media concept that if you are important we should publish every detail of your life. Unless they publish the arrests of any other regular Joe, than they shouldn't publish an athlete's. Unfortunately, most people in this country have an IQ of a 5 year old and the media is all to willing to cater to them.