SiouxSports.com Forum

Who's going with Lennon?

bison fan north of GF

It's pretty stunning that the UND Div II coach ends up going to a higher paying job with a school in the same conference NDSU is joining - where are the offers for Bohl? Why aren't falling all over themselves in IA to get Bohl?

BobIwabuchiFan

You must stun easy. Bohl will only go to a FBC team. I see Schmidt was the recruiting cord., I wonder how that's going to effect recruiting?

It's pretty stunning that the UND Div II coach ends up going to a higher paying job with a school in the same conference NDSU is joining - where are the offers for Bohl? Why aren't falling all over themselves in IA to get Bohl?

BobIwabuchiFan

Wow, sad really, come on Bob you can do better than this, really you can. What does coach Bohl have to do with who is headed to SIU with coach Lennon? :lol:

Wow, sad really, come on Bob you can do better than this, really you can. What does coach Bohl have to do with who is headed to SIU with coach Lennon? :lol:

This is kind of like "Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon" ... ;)

Kill and Bohl were eyed for the Northern Illinois job.

Kill took it, leaving SIU, and thus making the opening for Lennon.

If Bohl would have just gone to NIU we wouldn't have this thread because Dale would still be at UND.

Does it make sense to bring up Bohl now? :lol::sad:

BobIwabuchiFan

Stunning? What's stunning is that this huge upgrade for UND's head coach -- "an opportunity too good to pass up" -- is for a position that is essentially the same as taking the head coaching job at NDSU. We're in no position to talk smack with NDSU fans on this topic.

will Bohl make 200g next year? :lol:

Go ahead and laugh at Bohl when he made twice what Lennon made at UND and he still has a package worth around 200K with a pubic statement from the AD that he wants to make him one of the 3 highest in the FCS.

You are a real homer if you can lose your head coach (and key assistants) and turn it into a postive. The bottom line is we still have our head coach while you guys have to start over from scratch.

Go ahead and laugh at Bohl when he made twice what Lennon made at UND and he still has a package worth around 200K with a pubic statement from the AD that he wants to make him one of the 3 highest in the FCS.

You are a real homer if you can lose your head coach (and key assistants) and turn it into a postive. The bottom line is we still have our head coach while you guys have to start over from scratch.

gabe, gabe, gabe. I think it was meant as light hearted jab. Yes, we know, Coach Bohl is a good coach. But please, please, do not make statements such as "starting over from scratch." Get a grip.

Stunning? What's stunning is that this huge upgrade for UND's head coach -- "an opportunity too good to pass up" -- is for a position that is essentially the same as taking the head coaching job at NDSU. We're in no position to talk smack with NDSU fans on this topic.

If I could give you rep points for your post I would

If I could give you rep points for your post I would

In a few years the SIU job won't be on the same level as the UND job. The talent level between the two programs is pretty much a wash, we currently have better facilities and will have better facilities in the future after both schools complete their facility upgrades, and fan interest and attendance is pretty much equal. The only difference is coaching salary and the potential for playoffs in the next four years. Time will take care of these two. Let's get SIU on the schedule and make Lennon regret his decision.

In a few years the SIU job won't be on the same level as the UND job. The talent level between the two programs is pretty much a wash, we currently have better facilities and will have better facilities in the future after both schools complete their facility upgrades, and fan interest and attendance is pretty much equal. The only difference is coaching salary and the potential for playoffs in the next four years. Time will take care of these two. Let's get SIU on the schedule and make Lennon regret his decision.

I don't think he will because I think he is only using SIU for the playoff bid. I think he wants to take them places for a couple of years in hopes of getting a 1A job. Otherwise, I think he would have stayed here if he was planning on staying in 1AA because what you mention about the programs in a couple of years is true.

I don't think he will because I think he is only using SIU for the playoff bid. I think he wants to take them places for a couple of years in hopes of getting a 1A job. Otherwise, I think he would have stayed here if he was planning on staying in 1AA because what you mention about the programs in a couple of years is true.

You are definately right. He is using SIU as a stepping stone. Otherwise he would have stayed at UND as mentioned by his "bleed green" during his press conference. This move will help him NOT lose four years in his career goals.

There's some other factors in play here:

SIU is only about 50 miles from St Louis, and not all that far from Memphis, Nashville, Louisville, and Chicago. Paraphrasing Lennon's statement in his SIU interview: it's a tremendous recruiting area relative to ND/Minn. SIU also routinely recruits Florida and other southern locations. I would hate to think if SIU starts recruiting lineman from Minn/Wisc too (taking away from not only UND, but NDSU and SDSU).

SIU gets a substantial payments from the Missouri Valley Conference from their basketball credits from the NCAAs. They seem to be using that money to upgrade football. With a step up in performance seasons, SIU can approach Appalachian State's level with the right coaching and recruiting.

SIU's main in-state rival, Illinois State, has been making waves about moving to IA. SIU's new stadium may only be 12,000 seating, but I wouldn't be surprised if it later gets expanded to at least 20,000 so SIU can go IA also. SIU has (arguably) the strongest basketball tradition in the MVC, and they don't want to be left out of the IA game, if that became necessary.

Mussman stated in his introduction yesterday that you wasn't all that "excited" about possibly playing SIU (at least in the near term.)

When (and if) the new indoor practice field gets completed, UND will have outstanding facilities. What hurts is our distance from major metro areas, four-year probation, and lack of an all-sports conference affiliation like the MVC (and the cash - from TV and NCAA payments - that come with it)