SiouxSports.com Forum

Don't Shoot Me For Asking!

streakygopher

For once let us try and put our bias and spite aside. Minnesota is still in the hunt this year, and I normally refrain from talk of "next year" until the season is over; however, there's been discussion on this board about the Sioux's team and its chances next year, so I asked the question: Who is Going to be BETTER than Minnesota next year? They return every productive player except DeMarchi and they have another outstanding incoming class (Potulny, Vanelli, Irmen, Taylor)...if we don't lose Vanek, Ballard, or Martin I OBJECTIVELY believe this is the best line up in the country. Now the following year...well, that's another story!

Please give insightful opinion in agreement or to the contrary WITHOUT any Gopher bashing. :huh:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Searching for some Sioux fans to stroke your ego? :huh:

Seriously, the way it's looking now, I don't think too many Sioux fans will claim that the Sioux will have a better team on paper next year than the Gophers. Assuming no early departures, the Gophers only loss of a regular player is DeMarchi, which isn't much of a loss. On paper, Gophers may have a slight edge in their recruiting class. Add that to the fact that the Gophers had a better year this year...and obviously the Gophers will be favored at the beginning of next year. Anyone who says anything different is probably biased. But then again, games are not won on paper and ANYTHING can happen during the season.

Early departures could change everyone's analysis as well. I'm not real familiar with Minnesota's situation. I would guess that it's possible, but not likely, Minnesota loses someone early. The Sioux lose Spiewak and Notermann to graduation. Both are real losses, but hopefully not irreparable. I'm really concerned about David Hale leaving early. Every morning I check the sites hoping I don't read an article about him signing a professional contract. His loss would be devastating. I've become used to early departures of our best players so I'm just kind of waiting for the announcement at this point.

The Sioux will be better (especially if Hale returns), but so will the Gophers, Duluth, and Mankato. CC might not be quite as potent, but will still be very good. Therefore, Minnesota will be the obvious favorite in the league and spots 2-5 will be wide open IMHO. I think St. Cloud will be down, Wisconsin is another year away, and Tech and UAA are what they are. Denver is a wildcard IMO.

That is a very good and legitimate question. I think that the Gophers will be very good next year, but there are so many intangibles. I truly expect Vanek to leave if he is drafted in the top 10, which it appears that he will. The Gophers have adequate, but not great goaltending. The Sioux should be very good, but also have many question marks, including goaltending. Mankato will be good, but I don't expect them to contend for a WCHA title or a national championship. Duluth is on the rise, but I don't see a lot of stars other than Caig and Stapleton. Denver was surprisingly average this year, but they have a lot of good returning talent. CC will lose a lot, but they have good freshmen (Mark Stuart) and some good recruits coming in.

One of the reasons it is difficult to predict is because teams rise and fall that are not expected to do well. Last year (2001-02), Denver was picked 5th. Yet, most objective fans will tell you that they were the best team in the WCHA last year and perhaps the country. They won the WCHA, the WCHA playoffs, and the season series with Minnesota. They got sent to Michigan and lost on Michigan's home ice. The same thing happened to Minnesota in 97, UND in 98 (maybe UND's best team during the run from 97-2001), and CC this year. CC was not picked to win it this year after finishing 5th in 2001-02. Yet, for most of the year, they were the best team. Mankato was picked 8th, and tied the Gophers for second. They also played them tough. It took the Gophers OT to win the season series.

The Gophers look very good on paper, but many things can happen. Believe it or not, the Sioux should be very good. Before this year, Blais said his goal was to finish in the top 5 of the league to get home ice, make it to the WHCA Final 5, and hopefully, make it to the NCAA tournament. He did not expect to compete for a championship this year, but said many times "watch out in 2003-04". He fully expects to compete for a national championship. The main reason is that Parise would be a year older, and reunited with Brady Murray, who had almost as many points as a junior at Shattuck. I cannot imagine a scarier line in college hockey than Parise-Murray-Bochenski if Parise and Bochenski both return as expected.

I would give the Gophers depth an edge, but it will depend upon the impact of incoming freshman. However, the Sioux may have the best top line. [remember that the Sioux almost won in 2001 with 1 great line] I would also give the Gophers defense the edge if Hale does not return, but not by much. Martin, Ballard and Harrington are very good, but Jones, Schneider, Greene and Fuher are not bad either. I expect that Smaby will also be very good, and from what I hear, can skate and carry the puck.

The bottom line: The Gophers should be the favorites, but not by much. I really think the Sioux will be very good, much better than this year and should challenge UM the whole year. UMD, CC, Denver and Mankato should also be good, but UMD is still another year away from competing for a WCHA crown and NCAA Frozen 4. Wisconsin HAS to be better because they have too much tradition.

Outside of the league, Michigan is young and talented, but typically loses a lot of young players early. BC is very young and talented, as are Maine and BU.

That is my objective take on next year. Remember that everyone thought the Sioux would win in 1998 after winning it in 1997 and with all of their returning talent. They rolled through the WCHA and were No. 1 for most of the year. However, they went to Michigan and went home disappointed. Anything can happen, and usually does. :huh:

For once let us try and put our bias and spite aside.  Minnesota is still in the hunt this year, and I normally refrain from talk of "next year" until the season is over; however, there's been discussion on this board about the Sioux's team and its chances next year, so I asked the question:  Who is Going to be BETTER than Minnesota next year?  They return every productive player except DeMarchi and they have another outstanding incoming class (Potulny, Vanelli, Irmen, Taylor)...if we don't lose Vanek, Ballard, or Martin I OBJECTIVELY believe this is the best line up in the country.  Now the following year...well, that's another story!

Please give insightful opinion in agreement or to the contrary WITHOUT any Gopher bashing. :huh:

Streaky Gopher, First off you must be about 12 years old. Your probably Siouxrock in disguise. Second take your ass back to the POI.COM, that is were they slobber all over each other talking about the Gophers, M-I-N-N-E-S-O-D-A... This is a UND site. Second to make the statement that you won't lose anyone next season is ignorant, what are you the coach or are you sleeping with a few of the players? You dont know that your team won't lose anyone, there are pro teams out there playing these kids a lot of money, plus your begging. Please, please don't anyone leave. Just like many of you were begging that UND wasn't going to be any good. You never know Vanek might get offered a lot of money, there might be many zeros behind the first number. Yeah I am sure that Thomas would rather play for pride instead of money... Gopher bashing never.

Besides how do you know that Ballard won't go play for the Sabres next season? You don't. Especially with Buffalo cutting payroll and going to younger players, everyone said Ryan Miller was going to stay, nope he sigend on the line. Keep smoking all the weed your killing your brain cells. Taffe never really tipped his hat what he was going to do.

Honestly I dont' think there is that much difference between UND and UofM maybe a few players. Your goaltenders aren't any better than our top goalie Brandt matches up well with Weber, also . J.J. isn't a world by any stretch of the imagination. Your defense has two players that I consider very good P. Martin and Ballard, the other defensemen on your team are not better than the other team's 3-6 defensemen. Your forwards are a wash... Keep crowing, we will talk to the Gopher Rubes when Michigan Beats the Dirty Gophers in the semi finals...

I can't speak for the rest of the country but in the WCHA.....nobody. I think the Sioux will match up the best talent wise but as we have seen the second half the year, talent alone doesn't do it. Mankato has all those intangibles of a winning team but they lack the depth to be considered a serious contender to the Gophs. Same with Duluth. SCSU, Denver and CC (I'm assuming Senja is gone) will all take a step backwards next year, although CC was supposed to have done that this year. That's my take, but as skateshattrick stated, anything can happen.

I'm assuming noone leaves for Minnesota. If Vanek and Ballard go, it will hurt but there is ample talent to cover - it'll just take some time. The only Sioux I see leaving is David Hale. The speculation is that the Devils won't sign him now because of his health problems. However, I have read that NJ is not happy with his development in the college game. I believe the Sioux will find it hard to replace Hale

That brings me to a gripe against the Gopher faithful: Almost to a fan, they discount the effect the loss of David Hale had on the Sioux the second half of the year. "Oh, you're just making excuses" "One player can't make that big of difference" "It was the creme puff schedule that inflated your ranking" "The Sioux were never that good". Yet, the reason most cited for the Gopher turnaround from first half to second half is the return of Potulny. Yes, there were other injuries but I've yet to hear anyone say "thank god Tallacksons back". If Potulny can be so goddam important, why can't Hale?

I think the Gophers are likely to be the favorite to win the league next year; but Denver was the favorite to win the league this year.

Since you asked for our honest opinions of who's going to be better than Minnesota next year, I think UND stands a great chance of beating UMN in the regular season. As skateshattrick opined, so do Duluth and Mankato. I wouldn't even be surprised by CC or SCSU.

Any conference outcome for the Gophers between 1-4 seems equally likely to me. To keep this on topic, I'd put UND in the same range, though maybe expanded to 1-5.

I can't speak for the rest of the country but in the WCHA.....nobody. I think the Sioux will match up the best talent wise but as we have seen the second half the year, talent alone doesn't do it. Mankato has all those intangibles of a winning team but they lack the depth to be considered a serious contender to the Gophs. Same with Duluth. SCSU, Denver and CC (I'm assuming Senja is gone) will all take a step backwards next year, although CC was supposed to have done that this year.

I'm assuming noone leaves for Minnesota. If Vanek and Ballard go, it will hurt but there is ample talent to cover - it'll just take some time. The only Sioux I see leaving is David Hale. The speculation is that the Devils won't sign him now because of his health problems. However, I have read that NJ is not happy with his development in the college game. I believe the Sioux will find it hard to replace Hale

That brings me to a gripe against the Gopher faithful: Almost to a fan, they discount the effect the loss of David Hale had on the Sioux the second half of the year. "Oh, you're just making excuses" "One player can't make that big of difference" "It was the creme puff schedule that inflated your ranking" "The Sioux were never that good". Yet, the reason most cited for the Gopher turnaround from first half to second half is the return of Potulny. Yes, there were other injuries but I've yet to hear anyone say "thank god Tallacksons back". If Potulny can be so goddam important, why can't Hale?

Lawkota is right, imagine the Gopher's losing Ballard for the second half of the season, it would have the same effect that not haveing Hale on the Sioux team...

I agree with skateshattrick, it is a good question and I think his analysis is dead on.

Assuming everyone who should return does return, both clubs will be dangerous.

The one thing working in UND's favor, especially if Minnesota repeats, is that they will get to fly below the radar, so to speak, because everyone will be bringing their A game and gunning to knock off the Gophers.

As for the rest of the teams, I also agree with skates breakdown, however, I do not think Mankato will be as strong. They tied their way to a second place tie this year in the league. And although they don't lose a lot, they survived on the proverbial puck luck or lack thereof for their opponents all year and I cannot see that happening again.

When teams figure out how to shut down Stevenson and Joseph like teams did with Parise and Bochenski this year, Mankato will not be very effective.

I agree with lakota as well. The loss of Hale can't be discounted. He is a real leader that provided the "mental toughness" the Sioux lacked down the stretch. Not saying that with Hale healthy all year the Sioux would be playing this weekend but they would have been a much better team the second half. I hope he stays his senior year.

Rumor here in Colo Springs is that Senja is going to leave early. I'll suspect we'll know right after they award him the Hobey.

I think your top three next year in the WCHA will be Minnesota, UND, Mankato....in that order. Duluth will certainly be close behind and so will CC, Denver, St. Cloud, and possibly Wisconsin. To listen to the Duluth fans on USCHO...they're winning the whole thing next year. That team doesn't have a ton of depth not to mention they've lost Francisco and Rob Anderson. Francisco was by far their best player this year, and Anderson was pretty solid betwen the pipes. TJ Caig's production will be up, but so might his penalty minutes. But, this is just my opinion, there's been a lot of good arguements on this thread so far.

I see Mankato as a team lacking depth this year and probably next, though their style of play carried them a long way.

No doubt the loss of Hale was a bitter blow, and I don't know how anyone can argue otherwise. Minnesota was without Potulny, Tallackson, Guyer, Koalska and others due to world play or injury and the difference was obvious.

Denver and CC, I'm not too sure about.

UMD is young and good. I think they will contend and I'm sure they're determined to make it to the NCAA after what happened this year.

I think St. Cloud will struggle.

If Minnesota keeps key players, I think on paper they are one of the best (if not the best) teams in the nation.

Now to Goon: You're an emotionally distraught individual. That much is clear. Do you use that harsh, imbecilic tone in everyday life? Man, get a grip. The reason I came on to the Sioux Board is because I was looking for Sioux fan's opinions...pretty smart for a twelve-year-old, huh? Somehow, you got caught up in your own childish diatribe and started chastising me for assuming all of our players would return next year...I did use the word "if" if I'm not mistaken...apologies accepted.

Minnesota should be a dominant team next year, IF we return guys like Vanek, Ballard and Martin. But, I remember Woog once saying that being picked to win the league in the coach's poll is the kiss of death, because they never get it right. I hope UND is good too, because rivalries like UND and once-upon-a-time Wisconsin are always circled on my calendar. :huh:

I don't think that there is any question that UND will be better next year because they don't lose much to graduation IF no one leaves early, or only David Hale goes. Spiewak and Noterman will be missed, but the impact should be less than Bayda and Skarperud, and Parise and Bochenski will be a year older and much better. Murray is apparently very fast and plays like Jeff Panzer. He can't be too shabby if he is the 3rd leader scorer in the BCHL, made 1st team all BCHL, and received MVP votes. He did this as a 17 year old, so his upside is huge and the excitement should be similar to Parise's arrival. The difference is that teams can no longer key on just Parise anymore. I have also heard from a Minneapolis parent who has a kid playing for BU that Stafford and Smaby from Shattuck are very good and will make an impact.

The only question is whether they will be as good as the Gophers, which I think that they can be. The rest of the league should be chasing these 2, but as everyone correctly pointed out, you never know. That is what makes the WCHA so much fun. :huh:

Wow........a lot of good discussions and opinions on next years teams!

I would say unfortunately, that the Gophs will be really good! However, I remember Blais saying that 03-04 will be his "powerhouse" team!:huh: Wow would that be fun! I haven't seen this Murray kid play...so I can't see if he would be the remaining piece of the puzzle....but I'm sure he's good! I said this on another post earlier....What about putting Lundbohm with Parise and Bochenski? Do you think that Murray will be able to step in right away and not suffer the 2nd half slump like Parise did this year? (he still played well in my opinion....but the production wasn't as high as earlier).

This is still a junior/senior dominated league (IMO).......the big question to be answered is how will our returning Juniors and seniors be? I think Lundbohm will have an excellent season! WE need R Hale to step up....Massen needs to PRODUCE, Fylling, McMahon, and Prpich......if these players step up, and our recruiting class can hold their own.....I think we will be hard to beat!!

As far as defense......if Hale stays........you show me a better defensive lineup? Hale/Schneider....Greene/Jones......Marvin/Fuher......Smaby....?? WOW! I think they all will be better, and be able to carry the puck up! If GReene stays out of the box.....I think he handles the puck quite well for a guy with a 7 foot stick!!

I think Jake will have a good offseason, and be able to be a factor next year and take control of the goalie position! I have not watched any of the new recruits in Goalie play......so I don't know who else will be good. I could easily see Siembida play juniors next year to gain some CONFIDENCE! Right now, he looks like he's ready to crap his pants everytime a puck comes towards him!

Go Sioux.......

But, I remember Woog once saying that being picked to win the league in the coach's poll is the kiss of death, because they never get it right.

Well, with that thought in mind, here's to hoping the league coaches see things your way and pick Minnesota to win the league. ;):D

skate, Just a few clarifications: Murray is 18. His DOB is 8-17-84, making him 20 days younger than Parise. Also, his all-star recognition was first-team Interior Division, as the BCHL has two all-star teams, much like the NCAA has East and West All-America teams.

Despite that, I think Panzer will end up being a good comparison for Murray. I've only seen him once, but I thought he was just a touch quicker than Parise in the game I watched. Also, he seems to be quite small, which will end up being another good comparison point with Panzer. I miss seeing Panzer's sweater flapping in the breeze as he flew up the ice. I hope Murray is able to bring that element back. One other positive Murray point for me is that he spent the year in a rough league like the BCHL. Since he is small, I'm glad that he's had a taste of nasty Canadian hockey. All that said, he will still have to adjust to the NCAA, as all freshmen do.

Stafford will be exceptionally young next year. His DOB is 10-30-85, so he will be a full three months younger as a freshman than Parise was this year. His adjustment period should be longer, but he does have good size to help him adjust.

It is nice to see everyone's passion for next season is in full force.

I have sinced moved out of the North Dakota area, but will forever bleed green. However, being out of the area I get quite a bit of coverage for all other games and teams in the wcha. This has allowed me to look at things a little more objectively.

There were teams that I had talke to my friends in GF about before they had played them and I think that they thought I was nuts (Mankato and Michigan Tech).

One consideration. MN, CC, and UND currently have the younger teams in the wcha.

The Gophers will be tough, not many years that they are not competitive. CC is usually there as well.

So that leaves the question marks. St Cloud has some good players coming in, but the true test will be Montegomery taking over in net for them. He is much better than Moreland, but has just come up short on the win column this season.

Someone on this board said UAA an Tech are what they are. UAA yes Michigan Tech no. Will Tech be a force to reckon with, probably not. Are they a team that can steal a win or a final five appearance away from you, absolutley.

Denver will be strong as well. Let us not forget that this team was picked to be the best this year and also another team returning most players.

Duluth is the Wild Card. Scotty certainly has learned a thing or two about coaching from Deano. Not to mention they easily return the best goalie in the league.

Mankato has some steam rolling and always manage to play everyone tough for at least two periods.

And for the Sioux. God bless the Fighting Sioux. We will be in there again. I still don't think that next year is their year, but the schedule is a little more accomidating for travel and more respectful for rankings. So they should make it a little further in the tourney.

The following year for when the Sioux host the regionals they should be in prime position (home ice) as an experienced team to make a return trip to the Frozen Four.

As to the question of challenging MN next year, I think MN will be among a handful of very good teams next year.

BC fans think next year belongs to them, as they don't lose much, return a team with stars and depth, add Patrick Eaves back to the mix, and add some high-profile newcomers to a team that is a 2OT loss away from being exactly where MN is right now.

Michigan has a lot of young guys that will be maturing.

UND will have the team to contend, but goaltending will continue to be a huge question until it is consistently answered. (I was pleased with Jake's finish, but that doesn't mean the problem has been solved.)

As for the direct MN/UND comparison, it's tricky. I think UND can play right with MN, and I don't think the talent difference between the two teams this year is that great. However, and it pains me to write this, the biggest difference is in the teams' play in crunch time. MN got better in the second half, and UND didn't. I don't think it was just the schedule getting tougher. For instance, when UND handled MN for five periods in Mariucci in January, the team moved the puck better than they did at the end of the year. More importantly, they didn't make the ugly mistakes they made later. Was it coaching, or something to do with the makeup of the team? I don't know, but along with the goaltending, this is something that we will need to see solved before we know if the team can seriously contend.

The one thing working in UND's favor, especially if Minnesota repeats, is that they will get to fly below the radar, so to speak, because everyone will be bringing their A game and gunning to knock off the Gophers.

This is nothing new for the Gophers. It seems most years that teams come out gunning for us. Now you say, that arrogant Gopher fan. Why do they think like that. If you have a final five program from this year take a look at the interview from the 10 team captains. 6 of the captains say they like to beat the Gophers more than any other WCHA team. Potulny is the ONLY captain that said he liked beating N.D. the most. :D;)

I think UND is set for the next 3-4 years. Tremendous talent coming back and new incredible talent coming in especially if Parise can convince Sidney Crosby to come. Should be alot of fun to watch. The defense will be incredible again but I am really excited about the new goaltending coming in. If we would have had even average goaltending this year we would be going to the FF because of the fact The Sioux pretty much outplayed every apponent this year plus no puck luck. I think the Sioux will take the WCHA title next year. It is going to be awesome. I can't wait!

GO SIOUX!

Sioux7

I applaud your enthusiasm, but making the FF if you had better goaltending? I was at the UND/Ferris game and THAT WAS NOT the same team that beat the Gophers at Mariucci. UND went into a second-half swoon and goaltending was not to blame. Just as CC cooled off at exactly the wrong time, it's all about WHEN you get hot.

This is nothing new for the Gophers. It seems most years that teams come out gunning for us. Now you say, that arrogant Gopher fan. Why do they think like that. If you have a final five program from this year take a look at the interview from the 10 team captains. 6 of the captains say they like to beat the Gophers more than any other WCHA team. Potulny is the ONLY captain that said he liked beating N.D. the most. :D;)

....it is Gopher arrogance that makes most teams answer that way. :p

DLW4GOPHERS, that is probably true that teams are now gunning for the Gophers, partly because they are the defending national champion and partly because of the arrogance of the Gopher fans. They are the team that everyone loves to hate. :D This is similar to the attitude of the eastern teams to Boston College, even though BU and Maine have had more success. BC fans also liked to shout "USA" and tried to diminish BU and Maine's achievements by offering excuses such as that the academic standards at those schools were not as high, they relied on 21 year old Canadians and Europeans, etc. Its a little short-sighted to think that everyone hates the Gophers just because of its success. Believe me, that is a factor, but not the only one.

A few short years ago, however, when the Sioux were dominating the WCHA, it was probably the Sioux that were the team everyone liked to beat. The same holds true of Wisconsin during its run in the 1980's. If Wisconsin got back on top, they would be the team that everyone loved to beat.

The fact of the matter is, the Gophers are one of the most respected programs in the country, but not any more so than UND. If you were to do an objective poll of what schools have the most tradition and the best programs, the short list would include UND, Minnesota, Michigan, BU, BC, Maine, Michigan State, Wisconsin and maybe a few others. These are the teams that have had the most success and turned out the most pros. ;)