SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs. Gophers

Let'sGoHawks!

Siouxguy, What does the enrollment of a school have to do with anything? Its not like this is high school where you pick your guys from enrollment of the school. Every school recruits there players from everywhere not just from school boundaries.

fanbase, attendance and overall support - but thanks for asking so others can comprehend as well

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People are getting a little too optimistic. MN's not as bad as some people think, and UND hasn't been able to sweep a home WCHA series in almost two seasons. Seriously, if they haven't swept Mankato, UAA, MTU or UMD in that stretch, why does sweeping MN seem so easy?

If the Sioux play like they did for most of Saturday, they will be tough to beat. However, the ability to consistently play at that level has been the problem.

I think und is catching the Gophers at the right time. Minnesota has been riddled with injuries--Stoa out with a knee, Bostom out with hand surgery, Wheeler banged up a little, Mike Howe missing some time from a concussion. Therefore, Lucia is forced to play Hoeffel, White, Fisher, Kevin Wehrs as a forward but natural position is defensemen who are all true freshmen. Playing that many young guys typically does not add to the scoring punch or to victories. Missing Mike Carman the 1st half of the year does not help matters any. Add to the mix 3 freshmen blueliners and it equals a middle of the pack WCHA team so far.

The Gophers have looked very good at times this year but they also have looked very bad at times. Inconsistent is the buzz word right now.

I do think the Gophers will be a lot better in February than they are in December but for this weekend I do not see any way the Gophers take 3 or 4 points. Possibly a split but more than likely und either sweeps or they get 3 points.

I was wondering from whom and when this would come out from someone in the land of 10,000 excuses.

yeah, i'd like to see that too. I keep hearing that Bickel is big and tough. IMO, the definition of big and tough is quite different for each school. For example, Jake Taylor was big and tough but picked Brady Murray to wrestle with in a crowd of much bigger players on the ice. Also, from what I've heard, this might be the least physical Gopher team in many years. you make the call.

I don't know, from the games I've watched, physicality wasn't an issue, but I guess I would defer that question to Sagard or other gopher fans as to how they think this team plays physically compared to prior teams. Regardless, I think they will try come out and hit to establish that they won't be pushed around on a smaller rink.

There are differen types of physical play. Some skaters are very good at making checks to take opponents off the puck, other are able to take a beating and continue to stay in the play. While Flynn and Wheeler are effective at the former, Stoa was the most effective gopher in the latter. They are missing Stoa more than anyone imagined, as I have been saying since he was injured. They have lost their most effective forward in front of the net in the power play.

People are getting a little too optimistic. MN's not as bad as some people think, and UND hasn't been able to sweep a home WCHA series in almost two seasons. Seriously, if they haven't swept Mankato, UAA, MTU or UMD in that stretch, why does sweeping MN seem so easy?

If the Sioux play like they did for most of Saturday, they will be tough to beat. However, the ability to consistently play at that level has been the problem.

Well said! In a nutshell you are right on the mark.

They just can't believe that a little town half the size of Bloomington in a state with 1/6th the population of the just the Twin cities metropolitan area alone (and a school with 5x the enrollment of UND) can compete with the mighty University of MinnyMystery so they throw cheap and ignorant comments out.

At least Grand Forks (or North Dakota for that matter) doesn't

1. have cops shooting cops with machine guns

2. driver license exams given in 6 differant languages

3. racial unrest - even in the police department

4. more murders in No. Mpls in a week than the whole state of ND in a year.

5. traffic problems of biblical proportion

6. and - contrary to goph fans popular belief - exponentially more mullets - which I guess is supposed to signify lack of sophistication (not even going close to their Hitler youth thing - but the closest chapter to GF is here)

Siouxguy, For a guy who rips on the Twin Cities as much as you do, I don't see you complain about the paycheck you get while working IN the cities.

Come on boys it's time to end the Mariucci west moniker the Gopher fans like to use.It's time to use home ice to our advantage.

Hate to bring this up, but the Gophers can legitimately call the Ralph "Mariucci West" when playing the Sioux (yes, I know, they lost to Holy Cross). They have a winning record against US IN OUR BARN! We need to regain the home ice advantage. Fans have been really good this year, I expect the roof to blow off this place this weekend. We have been waiting for quite some time, I believe the last time the golden ones were in town, they swept us and popped their jerseys. The Danny Irmen goal when he stepped out of the penalty box at the perfect time and scored the breakaway goal still lingers in my mind. Sweep these punks!

LETS GO SIOUX!

I'm predicting 3 jersey pops. :D I think the Gopher's players have realized it gets under people's skin.

I'm predicting that Blais' Canadian bubble hockey players will smoke Woog just like old times, at least six glove flashes by Lamoureux, Finley dragging a Gopher player around the ice like a rag doll, a Bina goal from behind UND's goal line, Tom Buning making a guest appearance to sieve Minnesota's goalie and incessant online whining by Sioux fans about the officiating. We realize what gets under the skin of Gopher players, fans and their homer sportscasters. :D

Hate to bring this up, but the Gophers can legitimately call the Ralph "Mariucci West" when playing the Sioux (yes, I know, they lost to Holy Cross). They have a winning record against US IN OUR BARN! We need to regain the home ice advantage. Fans have been really good this year, I expect the roof to blow off this place this weekend. We have been waiting for quite some time, I believe the last time the golden ones were in town, they swept us and popped their jerseys. The Danny Irmen goal when he stepped out of the penalty box at the perfect time and scored the breakaway goal still lingers in my mind. Sweep these punks!

LETS GO SIOUX!

I think this claim is pretty much childish, because UND can turn around and call the John REA East.

I'm predicting that Blais' Canadian bubble hockey players will smoke Woog just like old times, at least six glove flashes by Lamoureux, Finley dragging a Gopher player around the ice like a rag doll, a Bina goal from behind UND's goal line, Tom Buning making a guest appearance to sieve Minnesota's goalie and incessant online whining by Sioux fans about the officiating. We realize what gets under the skin of Gopher players, fans and their homer sportscasters. ;)

:D You successfully summed up all message board conversations for both teams this week...nicely done.

So the Gophers are only going to score 3 goals all weekend? I can live with that I guess. ;);)

They'll get 2 in the 3rd on Fri. to bring the score to 6-2 and a late one on Sat. to get it to 4-1 :D Pop away!

So the Gophers are only going to score 3 goals all weekend? I can live with that I guess. ;);)

I was going to say the same thing, they better hope for more than three if they want to come away with any points... LETS GO SIOUX!!! SWEEP THE RODENTS!!!! And they can call the Ralph whatever they want, it's still our rink, which is alot nicer than the mary-yucky. The color green doesn't go well with poop brown and piss yellow :D

I was going to say the same thing, they better hope for more than three if they want to come away with any points... LETS GO SIOUX!!! SWEEP THE RODENTS!!!! And they can call the Ralph whatever they want, it's still our rink, which is alot nicer than the mary-yucky. The color green doesn't go well with poop brown and piss yellow :D

Well, at least GF has that going for it. ;)

Well, at least GF has that going for it. ;)

the fact that the twin cities is an overcrowded, congested craphole filled with arrogant attitudes such as your own has nothing to do with this argument. tell me exactly what comparing GF to the twin cities has to do with the Sioux kicking goofer ass, or the fact that the Ralph is fifty times nicer than the mary-yucky??? oh, I forgot the wink... ;)