SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs. Gophers

Let'sGoHawks!

I think und is catching the Gophers at the right time. Minnesota has been riddled with injuries--Stoa out with a knee, Bostom out with hand surgery, Wheeler banged up a little, Mike Howe missing some time from a concussion. Therefore, Lucia is forced to play Hoeffel, White, Fisher, Kevin Wehrs as a forward but natural position is defensemen who are all true freshmen. Playing that many young guys typically does not add to the scoring punch or to victories. Missing Mike Carman the 1st half of the year does not help matters any. Add to the mix 3 freshmen blueliners and it equals a middle of the pack WCHA team so far.

The Gophers have looked very good at times this year but they also have looked very bad at times. Inconsistent is the buzz word right now.

I do think the Gophers will be a lot better in February than they are in December but for this weekend I do not see any way the Gophers take 3 or 4 points. Possibly a split but more than likely und either sweeps or they get 3 points.

cautiously optimistic should be the key phrase for us. as I remeber 2 years ago we were coming into this series playing very well coming off a sweep at tech and the gophers were limping in coming off a sweep by the badgers at the john and nobody was giving them a chance at that time either and look what happened. they swept us to start our 2 year run of bad decembers.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That didn't strike me as your kind of question.

Actually, I have attempted to ask some smart-ass questions before, but they never use them. So I gave up. I guess the PCM impersonator is better at it than I am. :lol:

cautiously optimistic should be the key phrase for us. as I remeber 2 years ago we were coming into this series playing very well coming off a sweep at tech and the gophers were limping in coming off a sweep by the badgers at the john and nobody was giving them a chance at that time either and look what happened. they swept us to start our 2 year run of bad decembers.

Good point. I think the key difference from the 2005 series to this series is the 2005 team had a dominate line in Potulny, Irmen, and Kessel. This years team does not have a dominant line. Hell this years team could not even score in a whore-house :lol: Also, 2005 team had upper-classmen blueliners who did not turn the puck over and also could jump up into the rush. This year's blueliners have only 1 guy even remotely capable of that and that is Cade Fairchild. Also, wasn't und's 05-06 team made up of mostly freshmen--Oshie, Toews, Duncan,Lee etc etc etc??

Like I said, I would be estatic with a sweep, pleasantly surprised by a split but really looking for und to break out the brooms on Saturday night.

Good point. I think the key difference from the 2005 series to this series is the 2005 team had a dominate line in Potulny, Irmen, and Kessel. This years team does not have a dominant line. Hell this years team could not even score in a whore-house :lol: Also, 2005 team had upper-classmen blueliners who did not turn the puck over and also could jump up into the rush. This year's blueliners have only 1 guy even remotely capable of that and that is Cade Fairchild. Also, wasn't und's 05-06 team made up of mostly freshmen--Oshie, Toews, Duncan,Lee etc etc etc??

Like I said, I would be estatic with a sweep, pleasantly surprised by a split but really looking for und to break out the brooms on Saturday night.

Same sentiments from most Sioux fans!!

I for one would be all for it, it is time that Joe throws down so we can see what he can or can't do :lol:

yeah, i'd like to see that too. I keep hearing that Bickel is big and tough. IMO, the definition of big and tough is quite different for each school. For example, Jake Taylor was big and tough but picked Brady Murray to wrestle with in a crowd of much bigger players on the ice. Also, from what I've heard, this might be the least physical Gopher team in many years. you make the call.

Scoring offense ND 3.00 MN 2.5

Scoring defense ND 1.77 MN 2.75

Penalty Minutes ND 20.5 MN 14.2

Power Play ND 16.9 MN 11.5

Penalty Kill ND 90.9 MN 83.8

Combined Special Teams ND 56.0 MN 45.2 (note, ND is 1st, MN is last)

Special Teams Net ND +4 MN -6 (MN is last. ND is 3rd)

Goals allowed by period ND 3-10-10 = 23 MN 10-14-18 = 44

Hopefully the Sioux can start getting the PP % up a bit.

It is finally going to happen.

I am making my inaugural pilgrimage to watch the Sioux game at the REA this weekend for both games (Thanks to nephew Chartreuse Muskie Killer). I've seen youth games and the International Juniors Tourney there, but this is my first opportunity to watch the Fighting Sioux LIVE in Grand Forks since they skated at the Rusty Brown Building. After checking 12 motels, I finally found a room. I am pumped!!!

It is a shame there are no "Dollar Pitchers at the Spud" to prepare Friday.

One question I must ponder on my trip north.

Do I treat Gopher fans as I am treated in Minneapolis or St. Paul, or as I would like to be treated?

GO SIOUX

Telling stat is 20+ minutes for penatly minutes. Hum...

this weekend the sioux will have no few than 20 penalty min a game and the gophs will have no more than 4 as the WCHA will make sure it's poster school gets all the help it can to get back on track. I wouldn't be surpirised if there is a 5 minute 5 on 3 for the gophs with oshie and duncan both being called for bogus checking from behind calls just to make sure the gophs get all the help they need.

this weekend the sioux will have no few than 20 penalty min a game and the gophs will have no more than 4 as the WCHA will make sure it's poster school gets all the help it can to get back on track. I wouldn't be surpirised if there is a 5 minute 5 on 3 for the gophs with oshie and duncan both being called for bogus checking from behind calls just to make sure the gophs get all the help they need.

:lol:

I can see it happening. :lol:

The telling stats isn't the penalty minutes, we all know the Sioux are a bunch of hacks well deserving of their three extra minors per game. :lol:

Sadly the telling stats are the goal differentials and it is pretty depressing where I sit.

Can't see both nights being close unfortunately.

The telling stats isn't the penalty minutes, we all know the Sioux are a bunch of hacks well deserving of their three extra minors per game. :lol:

Sadly the telling stats are the goal differentials and it is pretty depressing where I sit.

Who is we?Ya got a turd in your pocket? :lol:

I bet they get Toews too. :lol:

Hoping to see a few soft ones let in by Jeff "Wrap Around!" Frazee..... :lol:

It's amazing seeing the decline of the Gopher power-play without a solid puck moving defenseman. Right now they dont have a guy that can dominate at the point and move it with a purpose. Keep in mind for the last five or six years they have had a Ballard or a Goligoski who were both fantastic with the puck. Fairchild, Fischer, and co. cannot move the puck as well. This year it shows