SiouxSports.com Forum

UND v GVSU

SiouxMD

I just think it was a bad coaching decision to put an obviously injured Chappel into a 20-2 game against WINONA STATE knowing that UND's chances against Grand Valley would be dramatically diminished without him.

Chappell was injured going into the USD game and he was banged up even more coming out of that game. So at what point do you recommend that Lennon started saving him for GVSU? Every time he carried the ball against USD, there was a risk that he'd be done for the season. Every time he touched the ball in the first half of the Winona game, there was a risk he'd be injured further.

Lennon is obviously a good coach, but that doesn't mean he is immune to making bad decisions from time to time.

I don't see a single person arguing that Lennon is immune from bad decisions. I've heard Lennon himself admit to making bad decisions during the course of a game. I've criticized some of his decisions in the past. That has nothing to do with it.

However, in this case, having heard Lennon's concern about WSU's offense going into the game, knowing the propensity of UND's defense to give up big plays and having heard his explanation for keeping Chappell in the game when the score was 20-2, I agree with his logic and reasoning. I regret that Chappell got hurt. I regret that Murray and Brady got hurt because all those injuries made UND's offense one-dimensional against GVSU. But neither Lennon nor any of us knew at what point Chappell would be done for the season or whether the Sioux would win the last time he touched the ball against WSU.

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, so Chappell gets benched during the WSU game and he plays at GVSU.

How do you prevent Freund from going down in the GVSU game? By pulling him out of the Humbolt State game? :lol:

That's a tough call because when we were up 103-0 at half vs. Humbolt, I really never had a sense we had control of the game. :)

People talk about "what if" Winona did this, or "what if" Winona did that. Nobody is saying Chappel should have immediately gone to showers at halftime. He would still be on the sideline if the situation got dire enough. I just think it was a bad coaching decision to put an obviously injured Chappel into a 20-2 game against WINONA STATE knowing that UND's chances against Grand Valley would be dramatically diminished without him. Lennon is obviously a good coach, but that doesn't mean he is immune to making bad decisions from time to time. I'm sure Lennon meant well and did what he thought was best, but it's certainly a valid discussion issue. And it wasn't "20/20 hindsight" for me. I was thinking the same thing at halftime. I wish I had posted something at the time, but I honestly thought there was no way we'd be seeing Chappel in the second half.

And Big Game, I'd really like to hear you expand upon this:

Are you seriously suggesting that fans criticising and second-guessing Lennon on a fan message board somehow undermines the program? Please tell me you're not making that link...

I'd be REALLY be worried about the program if nobody cared enough to second-guess the coaches decisions.

It's more the attitude, no players or coaches really take things from a message board seriously so us venting here would likely cause little or zero problems. It's these attitudes that can damage programs if they take seed with even one or two player. I have watched in happen at 3 different high schools over the past 8 years and it's ugly and to tell you how bad what I witness this year was Eight starters walked off a team in "protest" the day before a game, without those players the team actually got better and won that game (their first win of the year). They weren't nearly as good talent wise, but they were a better and more successful team without those wanna be athletes.

College is different or should be because the players are older, they made the choice to play at the school and for the coach at that specific university, and the they are usually far enough from the certain people that their influence is minimized.

I have a hillarious video clip of the grand valley mascot if anyone wants it send a message with email add. i think you know what I'm talking about - it involves a certain goal post. How bout that. Wow. Ha. Wonder if he got a butt chewing the next day.

I did see that...it was hilarious! :lol: I would have to guess he got a talking to...Just post a link to the video you have, I'm sure others will enjoy it as well.

I have a hillarious video clip of the grand valley mascot if anyone wants it send a message with email add. i think you know what I'm talking about - it involves a certain goal post. How bout that. Wow. Ha. Wonder if he got a butt chewing the next day.

The Music is a very nice touch, good work!

Laker Mascot

Grand Valley is looking very mortal right now, as NW Missouri is taking it them. Like UND, NW Missouri lost to UNO this year; but unlike UND, that wasn't enough to prevent them from getting homefield against the Lakers.

NWMSU 34, GVSU 16 FINAL

That Humboldt State game killed UND from a strength of schedule standpoint. Take away that game (and replace with a good opponent) and UND would have been seeded ahead of GVSU.

My understanding is that UND had an agreement to host West Texas A&M (a team that went 11-0 in the regular season), but they backed out when USD agreed to go down there and play them.

That Humboldt State game killed UND from a strength of schedule standpoint. Take away that game (and replace with a good opponent) and UND would have been seeded ahead of GVSU.

My understanding is that UND had an agreement to host West Texas A&M (a team that went 11-0 in the regular season), but they backed out when USD agreed to go down there and play them.

Bob-

Do you think last night was simply a sub-par performance by GVSU, or does it show that had they actually had to play tough road games during the regular season, they wouldn't have been undefeated? I know NWMSU is good, but in addition to their loss to UNO they had a number of very close games this year against teams that really weren't all that great (Pitt State, Central Missouri, Fort Hays and Washburn), so it doesn't appear as though they are so dominant that you would have necessarily expected they would rack up that many points and yards against GVSU, and be able to pull away in the fourth quarter like they did.

Bob-

Do you think last night was simply a sub-par performance by GVSU, or does it show that had they actually had to play tough road games during the regular season, they wouldn't have been undefeated? I know NWMSU is good, but in addition to their loss to UNO they had a number of very close games this year against teams that really weren't all that great (Pitt State, Central Missouri, Fort Hays and Washburn), so it doesn't appear as though they are so dominant that you would have necessarily expected they would rack up that many points and yards against GVSU, and be able to pull away in the fourth quarter like they did.

Northwest Missouri has improved immensely over the last month. I saw them a couple of times during the regular season when they were struggling and they look like a completely different team now. They have a history of struggling some in the regular season and then turning in on in the playoffs. They did it 2 years ago when they made the title game with 3 losses. Why they do that, I'm not sure, but they are definitely a team that "builds" as the season goes on.

I think there is no question that GVSU would have lost a few more games if they played in a better league. GVSU has a very good program, but it's not a situation like Mount Union in D-III where they have a level of talent so vastly superior to everyone else that they are completely unbeatable. You put UND in the GLIAC and they probably would have gone unbeaten at least 2 of the last 3 years and been at home a bunch in the playoffs where the situation is entirely different.

Only saw the 2nd half but if the championship game is supposed to be showcase of what D2 football is then it is good we are leaving.

The officiating was worse than incompetent. They couldn't even spot the ball correctly after a running play numerous times. It became laughable how bad this crew was. They make the WCHA officials look great in comparison.

NW Missouri lost for the 3rd year in a row in the championship game. After watching the end of the game it is obvious the coach comes from the Denny Green school of clock management. What an idiot. VS has the ball inside the five with under 2 min left trailing by 1 and the NWMS coach refuses to take a timeout to save time. They score with 22 seconds left and that is the game, no time left for NWMS to come back. But they did save their timeouts, maybe they can sell them on Ebay. Had they managed the clock properly they could have had the ball after the score with 1:20 left. Since the clock stops after first downs in college, you could run a lot of plays in that amount of time.

Only saw the 2nd half but if the championship game is supposed to be showcase of what D2 football is then it is good we are leaving.

The officiating was worse than incompetent. They couldn't even spot the ball correctly after a running play numerous times. It became laughable how bad this crew was. They make the WCHA officials look great in comparison.

NW Missouri lost for the 3rd year in a row in the championship game. After watching the end of the game it is obvious the coach comes from the Denny Green school of clock management. What an idiot. VS has the ball inside the five with under 2 min left trailing by 1 and the NWMS coach refuses to take a timeout to save time. They score with 22 seconds left and that is the game, no time left for NWMS to come back. But they did save their timeouts, maybe they can sell them on Ebay. Had they managed the clock properly they could have had the ball after the score with 1:20 left. Since the clock stops after first downs in college, you could run a lot of plays in that amount of time.

Unfortunately...few are happy with the officiating at the FCS NC game last night. See AGS for further details.

I thought the last quarter was very entertaining. I feel for the Bearcats who are one loss away from becoming the Buffalo Bills of DII.