SiouxSports.com Forum

UND v GVSU

SiouxMD

Receivers as key as QBs for Grand Valley - www.hollandsentinel.com

Statistically, Trent has been Grand Valley's money man all season. Of his 28 catches, 10 have been for touchdowns.

"You can't double-team me because Brandon will get outside and you can't double-team Brandon. And you can't stop our three running backs (Garris, Smolen and Berezik).

"I feel real good (about the playoffs)," Trent said. "I feel very confident. I've been having a good year so far."

I hope the DEFENSE is reading this...GO SIOUX!

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GVSU, N. Dakota face off in playoffs - www.mlive.com

"They are a lot like us," Martin said. "They have a lot of good players, a lot of good coaches, a lot of pride and tradition and a lot of competitiveness.

"Their kids get recruited there to win national championships. I'm sure they are planning on coming here and beating us."

Hopefully the Sioux can shut these guys up, but if not, I'm going to become a UNO fan for the first time in my life. I'm tired of GVSU, and I'm tired of their crap schedule making it all but impossible for us to get homefield against them.

Crap schedual?? The GLIAC does us no favors when it comes to SOS. We went undefeated again this year and pretty much had no shot at getting the one seed in the region because the NCC has better SOS because you guys play non-conference games. And well, there's just not a whole lot of teams out there in D2 that are lining up to play GVSU right now anyways.

Crap schedual?? The GLIAC does us no favors when it comes to SOS. We went undefeated again this year and pretty much had no shot at getting the one seed in the region because the NCC has better SOS because you guys play non-conference games. And well, there's just not a whole lot of teams out there in D2 that are lining up to play GVSU right now anyways.

I agree. If the Sioux wanted to play at home, they should have beaten UNO (a home game). I'm a huge Sioux fan, but facts is facts.

We always give the NSIC teams grief about playing a weak schedule. You guys didn't play a single ranked team all year. Not one. If "crap schedule" isn't politically correct, what would you call that kind of schedule? It's not your fault that besides GVSU, the GLIAC blows, but face it--the past two years it has. Those are simply the facts. You don't have to like them. My definition of a weak conference is one in which the second-best team in that conference can't win a home game against notoriously poor road team USD (as Northwood failed to do last year). :D

We always give the NSIC teams grief about playing a weak schedule. You guys didn't play a single ranked team all year. Not one. If "crap schedule" isn't politically correct, what would you call that kind of schedule? It's not your fault that besides GVSU, the GLIAC blows, but face it--the past two years it has. Those are simply the facts. You don't have to like them.

If GVSU was the type of program that put a playoff run together every few years or so, and needed a favorable schedule to make a championship run, their sos would bother me more. But as it stands, their program has proven they are equal to any, and superior to most, programs in the country, and they've proven it over a long time. Yes the rest of their conference is weak, but too often opposing fans use that fact to conclude that maybe GVSU isn't as good as they seem. Look at it this way, the 49ers of the 80's played in a perennially awful NFC west, but they didn't let that stop them. They were just that good. So too has GVSU been that good. With that said, every team finally reaches the end of their run at some point (as the niners did). This may be that year.

I agree. If the Sioux wanted to play at home, they should have beaten UNO (a home game). I'm a huge Sioux fan, but facts is facts.

It's a bigger issue than just UND. Before UNO this year, when was the last time an NCC team went through the regular season unbeaten? NDSU in 1990? I guess no NCC team deserved a number one seed between 1990 and 2007, huh? An undefeated record is all well and good, but pardon me if I'm not all that impressed with it if not a single ranked team was on the unbeaten team's schedule.

If GVSU was the type of program that put a playoff run together every few years or so, and needed a favorable schedule to make a championship run, their sos would bother me more. But as it stands, their program has proven they are equal to any, and superior to most, programs in the country, and they've proven it over a long time. Yes the rest of their conference is weak, but too often opposing fans use that fact to conclude that maybe GVSU isn't as good as they seem. Look at it this way, the 49ers of the 80's played in a perennially awful NFC west, but they didn't let that stop them. They were just that good. So too has GVSU been that good. With that said, every team finally reaches the end of their run at some point (as the niners did). This may be that year.

I will go out on a limb and say that if GVSU has to go to UNO this year, not only will they lose, but I don't believe it will be close. Whether or not that would have been the case if the game were in Grand Valley, I don't know, but the fact of the matter is that the game would have been there had UNO not gone unbeaten--something an NCC team hadn't done in quite some time. So long as an NCC team doesn't buck the odds and go unbeaten, a great team playing in a weak conference has a big advantage because they're practically guaranteed home field throughout the playoffs whether they're truly the best team or not. I respect what GVSU has done immensely, and I'm not trying to say that they haven't been the best team the past few years (although I don't believe they are this year). I'm simply saying that home field is huge, and going unbeaten in the GLIAC isn't that impressive to me personally.

We always give the NSIC teams grief about playing a weak schedule. You guys didn't play a single ranked team all year. Not one. If "crap schedule" isn't politically correct, what would you call that kind of schedule? It's not your fault that besides GVSU, the GLIAC blows, but face it--the past two years it has. Those are simply the facts. You don't have to like them. My definition of a weak conference is one in which the second-best team in that conference can't win a home game against notoriously poor road team USD (as Northwood failed to do last year). ???

Yeah, to tell ya the truth, I was at that USD at Northwood game, and I'm still scratching my head about how Northwood pissed down their leg that day and let that game get away from them. Coyotes weren't that good last year.

GVSU did play several teams when they were ranked at the time, the problem is after some of our league members play GVSU, they tend to play in a funk the next couple of weeks. Case in point, Michigan Tech. One week after the GVSU scores on their schedual, you'll see that they got shut out by Hillsdale. And GVSU was going to play Ashland, but that game was canceled due to lightning.

Part of the GLIAC's problem has been that its a large conference with an odd number of teams. Some team's we just don't play in a given season, and given that we play 10 league games with bye weeks throughtout the season for the league members. Makes it awfully hard for our league members to schedual non-conference games for everybody. which pretty much leads to the league having a SOS of around .500.

Secondly, not a whole lot of D2 teams out there really want to step it up and want to schedual us in non-con game. We had supposedly had a deal two years ago to play Central Missouri, but they backed out of it. Plus, we did have New Haven schedualed for 2004-05, but they went and dropped their program in the summer, and nobody else had a date open that day. Its not like we don't want to play any good teams NC teams, we just haven't had anybody that really wants to play us.

One last thing, at the moment, I don't believe GVSU has anybody schedualed for a Non-conference game next year. Any chance the Sioux are still looking for games yet?

Secondly, not a whole lot of D2 teams out there really want to step it up and want to schedual us in non-con game. We had supposedly had a deal two years ago to play Central Missouri, but they backed out of it. Plus, we did have New Haven schedualed for 2004-05, but they went and dropped their program in the summer, and nobody else had a date open that day. Its not like we don't want to play any good teams NC teams, we just haven't had anybody that really wants to play us.

Are the Lakers willing to travel? That's a big part of the equation. A home-and-home would be necessary and then maybe even that's not enough. I know UNO went to Tiffin and Western Washington with no return trip from them in 2004 just to fill out a schedule. USD went to Colorado School of Mines without a return trip.

GVSU could probably get a better game than St. Joseph's but it migh mean some taking less than optimal terms.

Are the Lakers willing to travel? That's a big part of the equation. A home-and-home would be necessary and then maybe even that's not enough. I know UNO went to Tiffin and Western Washington with no return trip from them in 2004 just to fill out a schedule. USD went to Colorado School of Mines without a return trip.

GVSU could probably get a better game than St. Joseph's but it migh mean some taking less than optimal terms.

As far as I know, yes, but at the moment, haven't found a lot of takers. ???

Oh and yeah, check the blog..... http://blog.siouxsports.com/

Northwood, which finished 5-5, rushed for nearly 300 yards against GVSU a few weeks ago. Granted, they run a different kind of offense (wishbone, I think) but still, they actually exceeded their season rushing average against the Lakers. Whether it's Chappell or Dressler or whomever running the ball, it appears UND may have more luck running the ball than in the past few meetings between the teams.

I accidentally posted this in the wrong thread. :lol:

On tonight's UND coaches' show, Dale Lennon said Chappell and Murray are doing well in their rehab. They're not going to practice at all this week. There's reason for optimisim with both of them. They'll both make the trip. He said 24 hours can be a significant time in the recovery process. Right now, both seem to be doing well in the recovery process. He wouldn't say what the plan would be if neither one could play.

Is this figure correct.....?

The weather isn't really going to be a factor in the game. Both teams continually play in similar weather; and yes the Sioux do practice outside despite playing their games in the Alerus. At $20,000 a pop, who could afford to practice inside? The weather for cast is 35 degrees, 20% chance of precip, and a 15 mph wind. Thank goodness neither team is a dome baby!

http://www.d2football.com/columnist/northc...lconference/c6/

If we are going to win this game, there are three things I think we must do well:

1) No turnovers. Turnovers took us out of the game last year before we had a chance to establish any momentum. If we take care of the ball, that should give us a chance to win. Make them earn whatever they get.

2) Control the game on the ground. We have a big, talented and experienced offensive line. We need to use the Hogs and whatever running backs are healthy to establish a solid running game and control the clock. I don't care if it's Chappell, Dressler, Murray, Battle or Dungy; someone is going to have to step up and establish the run. That should open up the passing game for Freund to make some plays down the field.

3) Punch it in when we have the chance. One problem with this team this year is finishing drives that look good until we get inside the red zone. In order to win this game, we will have to score touchdowns when we have the chance. One of the reasons why we are on the road tomorrow instead of at home is missed scoring opportunities in the Omaha game. If we can capitalize on our chances, we stand a good chance to win the game, especially with our defense healthy and playing their best football of the season right now.

This game might come down to the last drive for either team in the fourth quarter. No one outside of our fan base probably thinks that we can win this game, but I think we have a chance if we play solid football for 60 minutes.