SiouxSports.com Forum

UND/UNO

Siouxdonyms

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at the game. What an atmosphere...i lost my voice.. All i can say is bad reffing. Threw my bottle on the field jsut like everyone else sitting by me when the chappel TD was called back form that phantom holding call. next up hoceky, btw still have half a keg of KL left so anyone wnat to pregame it before the hockey game, come on over.

I was at the game. What an atmosphere...i lost my voice.. All i can say is bad reffing. Threw my bottle on the field jsut like everyone else sitting by me when the chappel TD was called back form that phantom holding call. next up hoceky, btw still have half a keg of KL left so anyone wnat to pregame it before the hockey game, come on over.

Wasn't at the game, but watched in on Sioux Xtra. Can't agree that it was bad reffing. There were a few times, but overall, I thought the refs did fairly well. As Triouxper said, the two 4th and 1's that weren't converted made the difference, that and the overthrown pass to Dressler in the first half. But I would have been mad had the Sioux not gone for them on 4th and 1. Oh well, all a part of the game.

When UND lost to UNO in 2001, I felt it was just a fluke since UNO somehow managed to finagle 27 points despite just 144 yards of total offense. When UND lost to UNO in 2005, I felt it was our quarterback's complete meltdown and umpteen turnovers that caused the loss. This year, UND just plain lost. No excuses. I don't know how or why it is, but UNO just has our number, at least during the regular season. :glare:

Nothing to hang our (or the players') heads about. It was a tight game. UNO made the plays on defense to keep UND out of the endzone on those 4th and 1's. The holding on Chappel's 85 yarder made all the difference, as it would have been a tie game at that point. Then, UND would have kicked the FG to take a 3 point lead possibly.

The defense needs to clamp down on the rush against UNO. Maybe a little gunshy after the fade for a 21-14 lead, but over 300 yards rushing is not going to cut it.

Take care of business the rest of the way, and there's a high likely the teams will meet again just like last year. I still like our chances.

Wasn't at the game, but watched in on Sioux Xtra. Can't agree that it was bad reffing. There were a few times, but overall, I thought the refs did fairly well. As Triouxper said, the two 4th and 1's that weren't converted made the difference, that and the overthrown pass to Dressler in the first half. But I would have been mad had the Sioux not gone for them on 4th and 1. Oh well, all a part of the game.

I have to respectfully disagree with you. I thought the officiating was pretty bad. I don't know if it really would have changed the outcome of the game, and I don't want to take anything away from UNO, but the refs allowed/missed at least three really blatant holds by UNO. Both late hit calls were extremely weak, and I saw at least one time when the Sioux jumped offsides. I admit I was pretty wound up during the game, but I only remember them calling holding twice, once on the controversial touchdown call-back on the Sioux, and once on UNO. I find it hard to believe that either team only held once.

Okay, got that off my chest. Now, time to move on, and also go get ready for the hockey game. :glare:

Both late hit calls were extremely weak...

I have to agree with you there. It was as if because they called a bad penalty on UND, they had to make up for it by calling a bad one on UNO.

What bugs me is that it seems every time we've played UNO the past several years, they get a call in their favor at a critical time in the game. That being said, we beat ourselves in this game. The officiating didn't.

Well just got back from the football game...well I'm actually sitting in the car on the side of street waiting for the doors to the REA open up. So I decided to lynch someones wireless internet and come on here :glare:. Despite losing I think it was a great game even though like many have stated that phantom holding call on Chappels would-be touchdown was just bogus. That would've really helped with our momentum. As for Fruend all I can say was that he was really off his game. Most of the time he was either overthrowing or underthrowing the ball. For most of the game he was just plain inaccurate. Other than that everything else has really been analyzed quite well. I have to give big credit to UNO. There runningback is great. He was breaking tackles left and right and kept moving the ball. So congratulations Nebraska-Omaha I think for right now they are the clear-cut NCC champions. I hope however that the Sioux will get the chance of revenge in the playoffs...I like the UND's chances against UNO at their homefield especially come playoff time :angry::p.

We had our chances in the first half (two or three potential touchdowns) and we didn't convert. UNO left Dressler open way too often in the first half, but we didn't take full advantage of it. In a game like this, you will only get "X" number of chances to score points and we didn't take advantage. UNO always saves their best game for us, so you have to be clicking on all cylinders to win. Today, we weren't.

The defense played well in the second half, but once again gave up some big plays that ultimately made a difference in the outcome. The 80+ yard touchdown we gave up on the second play of the game set the tone for the entire game. Some of the missed tackles cost us time and field position in the second half. You have to play solid and fundamentally sound for 60 minutes in games like this and we had some breakdowns that cost us. I don't think anyone fears the Sioux defense anymore (man, I never thought I would say those words and mean it! :glare:). All the injuries we have to the linebackers right now don't help either.

Special teams was pretty good for the most part, but we gave up that one kickoff that set up Omaha's third touchdown. Kickoff coverage has been a little spotty this season.

I know that the season isn't over and that if we run the table during our next three games (at Duluth, St. Cloud, at South Dakota) we will get a good playoff seed and at least one home game. But I just don't know if this defense is good enough to make a run in the postseason. We have to cut out the big plays that we have been giving up this season. If we don't, any future playoff matchup with Omaha will end up being The Brian McNeil and Zach Miller Show once again. :angry:

On to Duluth (in two weeks). GO SIOUX, DOWN BUT NOT OUT!

I'm still trying to figure out how the heck McNeill went from being a guy who probably never rushed for 200 yards in a game in high school; a guy who finished just 6th in the EDC 100 meter dash (nearly a half a second behind Ryan Chappell) as a senior; and a guy who wasn't considered a good enough offensive player to actually play offense in the Mon-Dak and Shrine games; to putting up the kinds if numbers he has so far this year, and running away from the UND defense on a 79 yard td run? :glare: Had you asked me about him coming out of high school, I'd have said he was a marginal dII prospect as a defensive back, but that no way was he an NCC running back prospect, and I'm willing to bet most coaches felt the same way at the time. I guess he's just a late bloomer.

I'm still trying to figure out how the heck McNeill went from being a guy who probably never rushed for 200 yards in a game in high school; a guy who finished just 6th in the EDC 100 meter dash (nearly a half a second behind Ryan Chappell) as a senior; and a guy who wasn't considered a good enough offensive player to actually play offense in the Mon-Dak and Shrine games; to putting up the kinds if numbers he has so far this year, and running away from the UND defense on a 79 yard td run? :glare: Had you asked me about him coming out of high school, I'd have said he was a marginal dII prospect as a defensive back, but that no way was he an NCC running back prospect, and I'm willing to bet most coaches felt the same way at the time. I guess he's just a late bloomer.

UNO's offensive line has something to do with it. Chappell is clearly faster. Also, McNeil has not had a single fumble all year. He is very solid, but not flashy.

UNO's offensive line has something to do with it. Chappell is clearly faster. Also, McNeil has not had a single fumble all year.

No question UNO's o-line is very good, but I'm frankly shocked that McNeill is even good enough now to beat out UNO's other backs. I think you almost have to have followed North Dakota high school football back then to really understand what I'm talking about. The odds of a North Dakota high school back who's not even the best in his conference even playing running back in the NCC, let alone putting up big numbers, are extremely remote. I doubt it's ever happened before.

Anyone know Dressler's final numbers? He just seemed everywhere.

He had 11 receptions for 192 yards. Both he and Trenbeath (10 receptions for 115 yards) had huge games. Unfortunately, the rushing numbers just weren't what we're used to seeing, due in large part to the called-back Chappell touchdown.

I realize it's very, very small consolation right now, but through four of five home games, UND is averaging 11,158 fans per game. If we can somehow avoid a home playoff game and the notoriously small crowds those have drawn of late, we should exceed 10,000 per game for just the second time ever. :glare:

UNO develops back better than anybody in the NCC. None of their backs in the latest 10 years has had any notoriety coming out of high school. Both Xavier Omon and Danny Woodhead are from Nebraska and UNO could not or would not get them. I only imagine if they had.

They certainly seem to develop offensive linemen better than anybody else in the NCC. To me, that's the key to UNO's regular season success.

They certainly seem to develop offensive linemen better than anybody else in the NCC. To me, that's the key to UNO's regular season success.

Agreed. This state produces linemen better than any other position. Another thing you will notice is that UNO, Chadron, and Nebraska-Kearney all are benefitting from the fiasco in Lincoln with the Huskers. I predicted 3 years ago that they D2 teams in Nebraska would rise when Callahan changed offenses and gutted the walkon program. A guy I went to high school with turned down a full scholarship offer from Iowa State to walk on at Nebraska. That's not happening any more. Also, the Mavs get some disenchanted transfers from the Huskers, including Zach Miller.

Agreed. This state produces linemen better than any other position. Another thing you will notice is that UNO, Chadron, and Nebraska-Kearney all are benefitting from the fiasco in Lincoln with the Huskers. I predicted 3 years ago that they D2 teams in Nebraska would rise when Callahan changed offenses and gutted the walkon program. A guy I went to high school with turned down a full scholarship offer from Iowa State to walk on at Nebraska. That's not happening any more. Also, the Mavs get some disenchanted transfers from the Huskers, including Zach Miller.

It's my hope that starting this recruiting season, now that UND will have full scholies to offer, that we may see some Nebraska players here. Time will tell. Aside from Chad Mustard, I'm not aware of any Nebraska players who have been in the UND football program, and of course Mustard didn't play until his UND basketball career was over.

Random thoughts from a frustrated fan -

I can't understand why with the athletic talent we have that we can't do a better job on kick coverage - I thought Omaha did an excellent job in this area - this has been a problem for us all year.

Our offensive line didn't do the job today - QB was hurried and had a hard time setting up. When we had 4th and one deep in their territory late in the game, they couldn't open a hole.

I felt that not going for 4th down on our last posession was a mistake - almost everyone in my area of the alerus felt we would never get the ball back. Lennon seems cursed by Omaha. I thought Omaha won the line battle on both sides.

We made key mistakes that cost us - \

Our season is far from over, but we need to correct a few things -

I hate it that Pat Burns has our number - He ruined Sioux football for about a decade.

I hate it that Pat Burns has our number - He ruined Sioux football for about a decade.

I don't know if I agree with this statement. In 2001, we lost to Behrns and company at home and went on to win the national title. In 2002, we lost to them again but that whole season was a disaster anyway. In 2003, the Sioux won in the Alerus Center and made it to the NCAA Title Game. In 2004, we lost in Omaha but made it to the National Semifinals. In 2005, Omaha basically ruined our season with that come-from-behind win at the Alerus. 2006 featured a loss to Omaha in the regular season and a win in the playoffs, both on the road.

And in the years before 2001, our teams really weren't good enough in some key areas to win a national title or go deep into the playoffs, whether we beat Omaha in those years or not. With the exception of 2005, I don't think Omaha has single-handedly ruined our conference and/or NCAA title hopes. We have had much, much more success in the postseason over the past 6 years or so than Omaha has ever had under Behrns. Our annual war is the Super Bowl for Omaha. Our Super Bowl happens much, much later in the season. Maybe this year will be different, but it's probably too soon to tell.

I don't know if I agree with this statement. In 2001, we lost to Behrns and company at home and went on to win the national title. In 2002, we lost to them again but that whole season was a disaster anyway. In 2003, the Sioux won in the Alerus Center and made it to the NCAA Title Game. In 2004, we lost in Omaha but made it to the National Semifinals. In 2005, Omaha basically ruined our season with that come-from-behind win at the Alerus. 2006 featured a loss to Omaha in the regular season and a win in the playoffs, both on the road.

And in the years before 2001, our teams really weren't good enough in some key areas to win a national title or go deep into the playoffs, whether we beat Omaha in those years or not. With the exception of 2005, I don't think Omaha has single-handedly ruined our conference and/or NCAA title hopes. We have had much, much more success in the postseason over the past 6 years or so than Omaha has ever had under Behrns. Our annual war is the Super Bowl for Omaha. Our Super Bowl happens much, much later in the season. Maybe this year will be different, but it's probably too soon to tell.

I was refering to the time he was head coach here. (and the rebuilding necessary when he left)

UNO just plain beat us up front on both lines of the football.

Sure we left some points on the board, and you can not do that when playing a Team as talented & as well coached as UNO and expect to win.

I would like to play them again if we where a little healthier....Today hats off to UNO and Coach Behrns on a nice win.