SiouxSports.com Forum

Guns on Campus

GeauxSioux

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you really done this time?

Now you are comparing a car to a gun. This gets better and better with every post.

Correct me if I am wrong but living in student housing is a choice made by you. If you do not like the rules of that establishment, then find another place to live. That simple.

No, the choice was made by my wife. 'Nuff said.

When I got done reading this, it seemed to me the author was saying the police force is totally incapable of protecting the people in it's jurisdiction.

No, that's not what he was saying. He saying that the courts and police obviously can't protect everyone from those who threaten violence because there's no way to know which threats are serious and which are not. He's saying that if someone who's being threatened wants to legally purchase a gun and learn how to use it for self-defense, he doesn't have a problem with that approach.

Is this an article by someone employed by the Sentinel or is this a letter to the editor?

He's a columnist for the newspaper.

I think a more reasonable policy for UND would be to require those who have guns to either have locks on them or a secure place to store them.

This is kinda ridiculous..... :glare:

What's really ridiculous is people (davek) preaching the evils of firearms. Especially when they have no desire to own one, or use one, and then have the nerve to pass judgement on those who choose to use them for their intended purpose. It's all uneducated psychoblabber that is completely not called for.

What's really ridiculous is people (davek) preaching the evils of firearms. Especially when they have no desire to own one, or use one, and then have the nerve to pass judgement on those who choose to use them for their intended purpose. It's all uneducated psychoblabber that is completely not called for.

It is also ridiculous to think that law abiding citizens should not be allowed to keep their guns. It is a constitutional right. It is crazy to even think that it would be a good idea to ban guns on campus. I have gone into extensive detail in previous posts on this issue.

Some startling facts about guns in the home...

University of Michigan Medical Study

AMERICAN ACADEMY OF PEDIATRICS

Where and how safely do families with kids store their guns?

More than a third (35%) of homes with children—that's 22 million children ages 18 and under in more than 11 million homes—had at least one firearm, found researchers in a RAND-UCLA study [6]. But only 39% of these families keep their firearms locked, unloaded, and separate from ammunition as recommended by the American Academy of Pediatrics. 43% of these U.S. homes with children and guns reported keeping one or more firearms in an unlocked place and without a trigger lock. Nine percent keep their guns loaded as well as unlocked. This analysis is based on data from 1994 interviews conducted in tens of thousands of households by the National Center for Health Statistics. (See Guns in the Family: Firearm Storage Patterns in U.S. Homes with Children for a fuller report.)

*attempting to push, pull and drag the thread back to topic*

Someone please explain how removing a folding knife from the apartment of a comparatively mature UND student will help prevent another Virginia Tech event?

The fact is, it will not. While well intended, this proposal reaches a bit far and will not become policy... at least in its current form.

I agree with PCM and airmail, Why not provide some safety equipment, locks and locking cases for owners of guns that live in apartments on campus. I do have some concerns of having firearms in dorms. You can't even legally burn a candle in dorm room. But there should be some compromise if a student is a hunter and wants to have their rifle available to them when they want to go hunting without having to leave campus.

First its a monopoly on what kind of pop they sell on campus, then its a campus wide ban on tobacco use. Pretty soon it will be something else.

This pisses me off and I live 300 miles away. (but I am a current student)

I agree with PCM and airmail, Why not provide some safety equipment, locks and locking cases for owners of guns that live in apartments on campus. I do have some concerns of having firearms in dorms. You can't even legally burn a candle in dorm room. But there should be some compromise if a student is a hunter and wants to have their rifle available to them when they want to go hunting without having to leave campus.

First its a monopoly on what kind of pop they sell on campus, then its a campus wide ban on tobacco use. Pretty soon it will be something else.

You might have to explain this one to me. Aren't there machines for both Pepsi and Coke? Or are you talking about the dining centers?

They offer you one when you buy a new gun at scheels. I actually have never used them though.

I do not believe that guns should be banned from the campus apartments. I do, however, think that they should not be allowed in the dorms. I'm sorry if this goes against what everyone believes about the second amendment, but it's not that big a deal. All these arguments about how if every student had a gun there would be no crime don't make sense to me--as was said earlier, it just makes it easier for someone to get access to a gun if they want one.

I understand that most gun owners are responsible. I grew up around and using guns for target shooting. This isn't an attack on people who own guns, it's just a safety issue in the eyes of the school, and one I happen to agree with, but only for dorms (should guns be restricted).

Ideally, before they jump on this as hard as they can, they could start a gun registration at UND, which would require you to have proper safety equipment (locked cabinet and/or trigger lock) and see how many responsible gun owners complied.

This is not a solution to an on-campus shooting. The only solution to something such as that is increased awareness and education of what guns are for.

First off, it isn't a tool. It's a weapon used to maim and kill. But that's beside the point...

I have to say I'm shocked to learn that something I've never used once in my entire life, and never will for as long as I live, is used "in most North Dakotans' lives every day"?

Don't you think that's just a bit of an exaggeration?

:silly::p:lol:

First off you couldn't be further from the truth; this is probably a topic you might want to take the side line on because you don't have clue one what the he!! You

I agree with PCM and airmail, Why not provide some safety equipment, locks and locking cases for owners of guns that live in apartments on campus.

Why don't the gun owners provide their own locks, cases and other safety equipment if they're so responsible? As tragic as these events are, I have very little sympathy for people who maintain their guns in such a way that they allow their kids to get into them and off themselves or their sibling.

Why don't the gun owners provide their own locks, cases and other safety equipment if they're so responsible? As tragic as these events are, I have very little sympathy for people who maintain their guns in such a way that they allow their kids to get into them and off themselves or their sibling.

Gun safe is a good way to prevent accidents.

You're missing the point... I was disputing the claim that guns are used in most North Dakotans' lives every day. Not unless most North Dakotans are a bunch of gun-toting thugs, which I don't believe they are. So a few people go out and murder defenseless animals a few Saturdays each fall, that doesn't mean they use these weapons on a daily basis.

PS - I don't argue for the sake of argument, or for the sake of being "silly and ridiculous" as you put it. I only argue points that I am extremely passionate about.

Dirty is right this is going to be a train wreck.popc1bp3.gif

Hell I am not using a sling shot to shoot ducks. Ah yeah its called duck hunting, sharptail hunting, pheasant hunting and deer hunting. Not to mention sport shooting.

I'm a bleeding heart liberal who doesn't hunt. I do enjoy the bounty from those who do hunt. I eat meat, drink milk, eat eggs and wear leather. I will also blow your head off if you come into my space with the intent to hurt me or mine.

I also don't think guns belong in dorm rooms. Apartments, ok, as long as there are safe guards in place.

I'm a bleeding heart liberal who doesn't hunt. I do enjoy the bounty from those who do hunt. I eat meat, drink milk, eat eggs and wear leather. I will also blow your head off if you come into my space with the intent to hurt me or mine.

I also don't think guns belong in dorm rooms. Apartments, ok, as long as there are safe guards in place.

that seems resonable in my opinion. :silly: