SiouxSports.com Forum

2007-08 Inch Recruiting Rankings

Sioux_Hab-it

INCH totally embarassed themselves this year other than their number one team pick. Who wouldn't take the Gophers incoming let alone UNDs over a bunch of their higher ranked selections.

Lowlites of their selections:

Lapointe only the number 15 D-man

Completely overlooked Trupp in both the team and forward ranking.

http://www.insidecollegehockey.com/INCH.htm

INCH totally embarassed themselves this year other than their number one team pick. Who wouldn't take the Gophers incoming let alone UNDs over a bunch of their higher ranked selections.

How is that embarassing themselves? It is their own opinion what they want to rank players, obviously they do this for a job (watching players progess and ranking them). It's just like me saying that you are embarassing yourself when you speak your opinion. Just because Lapointe is a 15th ranked D-Man does not mean he is horrible by any means, it just means that the guys ahead of him are probably better than him, remember he is only a year removed from High School its not like he is going to tear everything up in college hockey.On PAPER that is probably the correct order, with the exception of a few players (P. White and T. Johnson). The players that come straight out of HS competition shouldnt even be ranked in the Top 20 because the skill level isnt even close to that of the US NTDP or Jr teams.

How is that embarassing themselves? It is their own opinion what they want to rank players, obviously they do this for a job (watching players progess and ranking them). It's just like me saying that you are embarassing yourself when you speak your opinion. Just because Lapointe is a 15th ranked D-Man does not mean he is horrible by any means, it just means that the guys ahead of him are probably better than him, remember he is only a year removed from High School its not like he is going to tear everything up in college hockey.On PAPER that is probably the correct order, with the exception of a few players (P. White and T. Johnson). The players that come straight out of HS competition shouldnt even be ranked in the Top 20 because the skill level isnt even close to that of the US NTDP or Jr teams.

If you don't think ranking Brian Rufenach ahead of Lapointe isn't a complete joke then I can only assume that you defence of INCH is due to the fact that you contributed to the rankings. :)

I liked the "some thought LaPoint shouldn't even be in the top 20" aspect.

Probably the pro Michigan and pro Minnesota contingent. An offensive defenseman going to UND? Can't be highly rated. I mean, first team ALL USHL? Isn't the USHL a tough league for defensive scoring?

Something's amiss here, folks. Namely the saddening prospect that alcohol abuse is at an all time high among the INCH voters. AA, people. It will help remove your body from the gutter, your head from your ass.

Maybe LaPoint isn't top 5. He is top 10 though.

I'd love to see where LaPoint would fall if he had committed to UW, UMN, or Michigan. If he stays the same, then that would be a plus (believe it or not) for INCH's credibility.

I don't always agree with their selections either, but I hardly put much stock in them, especially considering last year's hobey winner didn't show up on a list when he was a freshman. Of course we would lean toward Sioux players, knowing how they will be brought along by the coaches. I think Trupp will be an omission that might not look good at the end of the year, but I challenge anyone complaining to post a list on here and then see how they did at the end of the year. Like I said, it is fun to open up debate, but I hardly put much stock in it, just like they wouldn't put much stock in a list I would create, because outside of many of the WCHA players, I wouldn't be able to make informative picks.

I don't always agree with their selections either, but I hardly put much stock in them, especially considering last year's hobey winner didn't show up on a list when he was a freshman. Of course we would lean toward Sioux players, knowing how they will be brought along by the coaches. I think Trupp will be an omission that might not look good at the end of the year, but I challenge anyone complaining to post a list on here and then see how they did at the end of the year. Like I said, it is fun to open up debate, but I hardly put much stock in it, just like they wouldn't put much stock in a list I would create, because outside of many of the WCHA players, I wouldn't be able to make informative picks.

Thats the thing with new players coming in...you cant assume that they will be great players, it dont matter where they go. Yes, I am a huge sioux fan but you dont know how well the kid is going to respond to the college game. The way I see it is the less hype the player receives the better off he is because he has something to prove and will want to show everyone what kind of skills he has. Trupp had surgery on his shoulder last year so who knows how good he is going to be, shoulder injurys are really hard to come back from, just ask Forney.

I'm embarrassed that you still can't spell LaPoint.

who cares :) i wouldnt rank our class that high at all. pretty much all middle round draft picks and so on. not a big deal. our next few will be top 3 if not tops. just how it works out. denver..........here we come!

Championships aren't won in the pre-season. See where Talent got the Gophers the last three seasons.

Championships aren't won in the pre-season. See where Talent got the Gophers the last three seasons.

and our TOP talent didnt get us titles the last 4 years either. it shows how hard and what type of bounces you need to win the big one! im confident this team has it all, just need some luck here and there along the way

I'm not really an apologist for INCH, but in fairness I take them at their word until they are proven otherwise not to have used this input from hockey sources:

Inside College Hockey compiled its 2007 Recruiting Rankings with extensive input from college and junior coaches, as well as professional scouts. Participants were asked to evaluate recruits based on their projected impact at the college level, not on their professional hockey prospects.

Yeah, that's proven as Oshie just sucked his first year, right out of high school. :)

Are you being serious right now? There are the few players who can adapt to the game really well, with oshie being an exception. With Oshie being the exception I would like to know what other kid came right from high school and played really well his first year in college hockey?

Are you being serious right now? There are the few players who can adapt to the game really well, with oshie being an exception. With Oshie being the exception I would like to know what other kid came right from high school and played really well his first year in college hockey?

I could name a few from Shatuck

That would be sarcasm. Where the majority of players who do play in the USHL are better prepared for college, it's not the truth in every scenario. Brian Lee came right out of high school as well. Where people on this site would argue that Lee never amounted to much, he logged a ton of ice time his first season and contributed regularly. Your statement reads as it's always the case, which it clearly isn't.

That would be sarcasm. Where the majority of players who do play in the USHL are better prepared for college, it's not the truth in every scenario. Brian Lee came right out of high school as well. Where people on this site would argue that Lee never amounted to much, he logged a ton of ice time his first season and contributed regularly. Your statement reads as it's always the case, which it clearly isn't.

Well, he maybe played just as well or better as a freshman as he did a sophomore. (Although it's my opinion he was tired at the end of his Freshman season) Read that how you want to.

Has anyone gone back and looked at these predictions at the end of the year?

There's a lot of things going on in a national championship team. It's my opinion that our last championship had quite a bit lesser talent than the teams the two previous years.

INCH does what they always do. :)

Players can come straight from MSHSL and have a nice impact. Gophers have recently had guys like P. Martin, A. Goligoski and J. Barriball. I'm sure Oshie isn't the only UND kid to perform well straight from MSHSL.

Yes the players are generally more prepared if they play USHL / BCHL / Shattuck / USNDP, but at this age it still often comes down to straight up talent and effort vs. where you played the previous season.

INCH does what they always do. :)

Players can come straight from MSHSL and have a nice impact. Gophers have recently had guys like P. Martin, A. Goligoski and J. Barriball. I'm sure Oshie isn't the only UND kid to perform well straight from MSHSL.

Yes the players are generally more prepared if they play USHL / BCHL / Shattuck / USNDP, but at this age it still often comes down to straight up talent and effort vs. where you played the previous season.

who is the other kid that played at UND that came from MSHSL? just wondering...

who is the other kid that played at UND that came from MSHSL? just wondering...

similar cases with oshie and lee. cant think of others that didnt play a full year of juniors without going the shattuck route of course...

brian lee came from moorhead after only 12 games in the ushl after senior season

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdispla...pid%5B%5D=83000

tj oshie came from warroad after only 11 games in the ushl after senior season

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdispla...pid%5B%5D=81042

Yeah, that's proven as Oshie just sucked his first year, right out of high school. :)

Did you know Oshie was that good coming into the season?

We've seen big time scorers from every league come into DI and flounder. Watkins and Kozek so far for the Sioux. Mike Howe (USHL scoring champion) for the Gophers....

It wasn't certain that Oshie would tear it up like he did.

I just don't see how LaPoint could be ranked so low though.