SiouxSports.com Forum

2007-08 Inch Recruiting Rankings

Sioux_Hab-it

Did you know Oshie was that good coming into the season?

We've seen big time scorers from every league come into DI and flounder. Watkins and Kozek so far for the Sioux. Mike Howe (USHL scoring champion) for the Gophers....

It wasn't certain that Oshie would tear it up like he did.

I just don't see how LaPoint could be ranked so low though.

Are you certain that any player, outside of Parise, Okposo, and players of that caliber, will tear it up? There are a lot of players that simply don't measure up to expectations. Massen was supposed to be better than what resulted. Goren was supposed to be an impact player right away too, yet I can still hear Blais's voice yelling "Lee" every game he played in his first year. My comment was aimed at refuting the "kid's" comment of every player who plays in the USHL or on a junior team will have better skills. That's simply not going to be the case, and there are always going to be some players who surprise everyone.

INCH has some issues in ratings. See #3 last year (Forney). Trupp is being overlooked just like Duncan was because he is small and not an NHL pick.

I don't think we can blame INCH for Forney's injury. Let's give him a healthy year and see what kind of player he will be.

These rankings are a joke. LaPoint that low is pathetic journalism I don't care who they say voted on it. Do you guys remember the forward rankings a few years ago? Toews was ranked as like the 9th best incoming freshman forward. That's credibility for you.

i agree. they are supposed to ranked on college impact, and not nhl. i think that they do neither. what gets me is that they said some felt that lapoint shouldnt even be in the 20. obsurd. the other that gets me is that trupp wasnt ranked either, just like duncan wasnt(but they were right about duncan so far-his college impact is minimal).

These rankings are a joke. LaPoint that low is pathetic journalism I don't care who they say voted on it. Do you guys remember the forward rankings a few years ago? Toews was ranked as like the 9th best incoming freshman forward. That's credibility for you.

I went back and reviewed the rankings from 2 years ago, and you are correct. Toews was ranked as the 9th best forward, Oshie 17th, and Duncan was unranked. :) This is not intended to rip INCH, but you really have to take its rankings with a grain of salt. When it gets right down to it, they know very little more than the fans. I can understand Oshie and Duncan flying under the radar, but Toews was a huge prospect and some (many?) thought that he had a higher upside than Kessel.

You're free to post yours here. How many points do you put Lapoint on this year? Seems to me you wouldn't want the high expectations for Lapoint after how some Sioux fans treated Lee with his high expectations.

I went back and reviewed the rankings from 2 years ago, and you are correct. Toews was ranked as the 9th best forward, Oshie 17th, and Duncan was unranked. :) This is not intended to rip INCH, but you really have to take its rankings with a grain of salt. When it gets right down to it, they know very little more than the fans. I can understand Oshie and Duncan flying under the radar, but Toews was a huge prospect and some (many?) thought that he had a higher upside than Kessel.

Yes and the FF, NCAAs, international play and draft proved us to be correct.

It is unclear whether Inch is trying to capture the Pro Potential or College Impact of the incoming class. Either way, they have missed the mark once again. The WCHA coaches have predicted that Lapoint will make the WCHA Rookie Team so how do they explain that their #15 overall ranking is more accurate.

Just asking, but could this "college impact" that these rankings are supposedly tracking relate to "initial college impact"?

Toews was a great player, but game in almost prepubescent. He didn't light everything up right away, that's for sure, but he came on later in the year, and certainly the next year.

Just asking, but could this "college impact" that these rankings are supposedly tracking relate to "initial college impact"?

Toews was a great player, but game in almost prepubescent. He didn't light everything up right away, that's for sure, but he came on later in the year, and certainly the next year.

That would still make the rankings incorrect. If that were the case, Lapointe is coming from the stronger league, was impressive, and should be ranked the #1 D-man.

Dagies, I have to respectfully disagree. He didn't score a ton the first 1/2 of the year, but he clearly was already one of the better players on the Sioux from the moment he took the ice. If you watch a lot of hockey, and I know you do, you could tell he was special and does everything well, from faceoffs, to battles along the boards, along with great hands and a great shot. I know I had a huge smile on my face the first game he played for the Sioux. I also knew that he would only be in a Sioux uniform for at most 2 years. The second 1/2 of his freshman year, he was also one of the Sioux's leading scorers and drew praise from coaches around the country. He was the best player in the regionals when the Sioux beat Michigan and Holy Cross, and again in the loss to BC. Despite his young age, I would rank him as one of the top 5 forwards to ever wear a Sioux uniform. He is absolutely a special player. How INCH or anyone else could not see that is absolutely beyond comprehension, especially considering how he lit it up at SSM.

You're free to post yours here. How many points do you put Lapoint on this year? Seems to me you wouldn't want the high expectations for Lapoint after how some Sioux fans treated Lee with his high expectations.

I haven't seen enough of every player to produce a quality list on my own. What I do know is this, LaPoint is ranked behind Jeff Petry (Des Moines, USHL), Nick Petrecki (Omaha, USHL), Colby Cohen (Lincoln, USHL), and Shane Sims (Des Moines, USHL). All of those players are ranked in the top 8, while LaPoint is #15. I can understand being ranked behind Petry possibly because he was the USHL defenseman of the year and like LaPoint was a first team all USHL defenseman. But I guess I just don't understand behind the other guys that he was better than last season. Add to that behing behind guys like Bryan Brutlag coming straight from Holy Angels, and Brian Rufenach, who?

As for points, there is really no way to throw a number out there as an expectation. And the whole thing with Lee and expectations is so stupid.

This kind of reminds me of the draft a couple of years ago. Some publications had him going at the end of the first round some had him going in the third round. He ended up early 4th I believe when Florida traded up for him. Obviously disappointed he used it as motivation and went out and put up 49 points in 59 games and was the second best defenseman in a league that people said he would have a tough time adjusting too because he was too tall and lanky. He's been used to this his entire life, but he always proves doubters wrong. I expect him to use this as motivation for this season, not that he needed any.

I haven't seen enough of every player to produce a quality list on my own. What I do know is this, LaPoint is ranked behind Jeff Petry (Des Moines, USHL), Nick Petrecki (Omaha, USHL), Colby Cohen (Lincoln, USHL), and Shane Sims (Des Moines, USHL). All of those players are ranked in the top 8, while LaPoint is #15. I can understand being ranked behind Petry possibly because he was the USHL defenseman of the year and like LaPoint was a first team all USHL defenseman. But I guess I just don't understand behind the other guys that he was better than last season. Add to that behing behind guys like Bryan Brutlag coming straight from Holy Angels, and Brian Rufenach, who?

As for points, there is really no way to throw a number out there as an expectation. And the whole thing with Lee and expectations is so stupid.

This kind of reminds me of the draft a couple of years ago. Some publications had him going at the end of the first round some had him going in the third round. He ended up early 4th I believe when Florida traded up for him. Obviously disappointed he used it as motivation and went out and put up 49 points in 59 games and was the second best defenseman in a league that people said he would have a tough time adjusting too because he was too tall and lanky. He's been used to this his entire life, but he always proves doubters wrong. I expect him to use this as motivation for this season, not that he needed any.

Exactly! He is also an offensive D-man, but he was only a seventh round draft pick and his numbers were far less impressive at a lower level of play (Tier II Junior)

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/9807...7_draft_review/

If they were desperate to give recognition to a Tier II D-man who will contribute nicely to his program out East they should have gone with an overaged player like Colgate's Wade Poplawski.

Dagies, I have to respectfully disagree. He didn't score a ton the first 1/2 of the year, but he clearly was already one of the better players on the Sioux from the moment he took the ice. If you watch a lot of hockey, and I know you do, you could tell he was special and does everything well, from faceoffs, to battles along the boards, along with great hands and a great shot. I know I had a huge smile on my face the first game he played for the Sioux. I also knew that he would only be in a Sioux uniform for at most 2 years. The second 1/2 of his freshman year, he was also one of the Sioux's leading scorers and drew praise from coaches around the country. He was the best player in the regionals when the Sioux beat Michigan and Holy Cross, and again in the loss to BC. Despite his young age, I would rank him as one of the top 5 forwards to ever wear a Sioux uniform. He is absolutely a special player. How INCH or anyone else could not see that is absolutely beyond comprehension, especially considering how he lit it up at SSM.

Can't disagree with much that you say. When I mentioned not "lighting it up" I was mostly referring to the scoreboard.

i know what you are getting at TNT but im not sure why the lee bashing as some call it has anything to do with lapoint. he isnt lee. similar style is about it and we dont know that until we see lapoint play this year. lapoint wasnt a top first round draft pick and wasnt minnesota mr hockey. now thats crazy expectations as we all could agree. from what i can remember lee has been one player that took heat from his on ice play and thats about it. right or wrong hes gone. very excited to see him play

I'm only saying that given the outrage over these rankings by some who have seen Lapoint play, it would lead some people, including myself to have high expectations of Lapoint coming in. I can understand if he doesn't perform to those expectations, but as we all know, there will be those that think if he doesn't reach 20-30 points based on the hype, it may be considered a disappointing rookie season.

Personally, I prefer to save my indignation until the end of the year for not giving recognition when it is due. If Lapoint lives up to expectations, and is not given the recognition by the league, etc. then I will have a gripe. I know this is a message board and it is fun to be disgusted by polls/rankings that aren't kind to the Sioux, but like so many of us say, the only poll that really matters is at the end of the year.