SiouxSports.com Forum

Great Matt Greene Story

The Walrus

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great hit, not dirty at all. Very unfortunate that Cam's knee got messed up so badly, but Ulfie wasn't trying to hurt him. He was merely trying to make a play. If you want to see footage of a hockey player deliberately trying to injure somebody, look up Derek Boogard and you're sure to find footage of him rearranging somebody's face.

Derek Boogard does not go out with the intent to fight every night. His job is to protect the star players to make sure they dont get hurt and he also is a great agitator, such as your great Ulf Samuelsson is. You said "Ulf Samuelsson played the role of agitator, an important role in the game of hockey. He's the kind of guy you love to have on your team but love to hate when he's on the other team. His style of play served a purpose within the context of the game. If you can't accept that you just don't know anything about hockey." That is excatly what Derek Boogard is, hate him or love him you alway watch out for him. Also you don't know anything about hockey because fighting is apart of it no matter what, guys will remember things and settle them when the time is right.

Derek Boogard does not go out with the intent to fight every night. His job is to protect the star players to make sure they dont get hurt and he also is a great agitator, such as your great Ulf Samuelsson is. You said "Ulf Samuelsson played the role of agitator, an important role in the game of hockey. He's the kind of guy you love to have on your team but love to hate when he's on the other team. His style of play served a purpose within the context of the game. If you can't accept that you just don't know anything about hockey." That is excatly what Derek Boogard is, hate him or love him you alway watch out for him. Also you don't know anything about hockey because fighting is apart of it no matter what, guys will remember things and settle them when the time is right.

First off, Wheeler's sliding into Tormey, Sioux fan or not, wasn't a running of the goaltender. It was a viciously bad skate-related injury to Tormey, yes. However, this wasn't Wheeler's fault entirely.

Secondly, if Boogaard isn't on the ice to start a fight, what good is he? He can't score at all. He's not a setup guy or playmaker in the slightest. If he's that defensively sound, then make him a defenseman, but even I don't hear Wild homers and broadcasters bragging about his defensive skills. What they do brag about is Boogaard's fighting. When Derek first came to the league (or when I first saw him on the TV anyways) the commentators were marvelling how Derek made the NHL and was a "long shot" when first drafted because of his being known more for fighting than anything else. Tell me, when the TV commentators can only talk about Boogaard for his fighting, when his stats show nothing more than PIMs and a few paltry offensive stats, and when the game was on the line late last season Boogaard was NOT dressed, how is Boogaard worth a roster slot if it isn't for fighting?

First off, Wheeler's sliding into Tormey, Sioux fan or not, wasn't a running of the goaltender. It was a viciously bad skate-related injury to Tormey, yes. However, this wasn't Wheeler's fault entirely.

Secondly, if Boogaard isn't on the ice to start a fight, what good is he? He can't score at all. He's not a setup guy or playmaker in the slightest. If he's that defensively sound, then make him a defenseman, but even I don't hear Wild homers and broadcasters bragging about his defensive skills. What they do brag about is Boogaard's fighting. When Derek first came to the league (or when I first saw him on the TV anyways) the commentators were marvelling how Derek made the NHL and was a "long shot" when first drafted because of his being known more for fighting than anything else. Tell me, when the TV commentators can only talk about Boogaard for his fighting, when his stats show nothing more than PIMs and a few paltry offensive stats, and when the game was on the line late last season Boogaard was NOT dressed, how is Boogaard worth a roster slot if it isn't for fighting?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1uP1HRQet-Q

I told you already that his job is to protect the players, every team has one of those guys but if you check out the video of him it shows you that he does not start the fights....all the time :angry:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1uP1HRQet-Q

I told you already that his job is to protect the players, every team has one of those guys but if you check out the video of him it shows you that he does not start the fights....all the time :angry:

And my point doesn't revolve around who instigates. My point is: if he can't score and he's not great defensively, what purpose does he have in the game?

Boogaard isn't the only player I single out. I have called out Scott Parker and Tie Domi for the same reason. I hold some players to be above the rest, like Scott Stevens. He was known to drop the gloves for sure, but he was one of the best defensive defensemen New Jersey has ever had. And every now and then he'd contribute offensively as well. Though I'm not certain how many fights he's participated in, Tomas Holmstrom is a great example of an agitator who is worth more to his team than just being able to get under players (and fans', including mine at times) skins.

My point is, fighting is legal and probably should remain legal. But the day of the true enforcer, where fighting ability alone can get you to the NHL, should come to an end. Players who can't contribute otherwise, like Boogaard or Domi or Parker shouldn't be given roster slots. Fighters could still make the league, provided they can also score or play good D.

My point all along has been that with good officiating (both on and off ice) there shouldn't need to be fighting to protect eachother.

Maybe we'll never get there, but we sure as heck aren't there yet.

With the NHL, I think good officiating will decrease the need for fighting, but I don't think it would eliminate it. What it would do is further pressure teams to not give up roster slots to enforcers who can't contribute, which all along is my point. Put a goal scorer or good defenseman in the slot vacated by an enforcer and you get a better game (in ideal conditions).

With Boogaard, I don't know if it matters in the end. The Wild don't seem to care too much about scoring.

Yes the Wild don't care about scoring nor TV ratings either. The only thing to tune is is if Bogie gets into a fight. (Boring Hockey)

I should clarify that there will probably always be fighting even in college. Sometimes two guys are just going to want to test themselves (Prpich v. Peluso (did I spell that right)) or want to get their team going (McMahon v. Milli Vanelli.)

But even those fights could be cut down.

Sooooooo.......

wadaya think? Did Greene and Paukovich fight?

Did they go out to dinner afterwards?

Just wondering, folks. :)

I was told at the races last night by someone that listened to 1440 the fan that Greg Lotysus (sp) had talked about the fight on his radio show the other morning/day (I don't listen to anything but XM RADIO) and that there was in fact a fight between the two said people.

Apparently it went basically like the post that was on the internet; that Greene came up to Punkabitch and said we are going to go on the face off and you beter drop your gloves, Punko said why and Greene told him you know why. Sounds like it wasn't the wrestling match that some have said that Greene did in fact work him hard.

Over on Brad's Blog someone else clarified the story as well...

Funny it was in response to something Donald has posted or someone posing as Donald:

I have to contradict Donald's assertation that the Greene beat down was just a "rink rat" report. Bob Stauffer has pretty respectable credibility around here as a straight shooter, and he has attended a lot of the condition camp scrimmages personally.

I also happened to listen to his show yesterday, which included an appearance by NHL veteran tough guy, Georges Laraque. Georges was present at many of the informal conditioning scrimmages prior to departing for Penguins training camp. Georges gave his account of the incident, and while he said he would not have done the same thing as Matt Greene did, he did verify the context of the report. Georges was more concerned with how a pre-meditated act like that would have looked if he did something similar, because he knew the serious physical damage he was capable of and did not want a Moore/Bertuzzi comparison drawn.

The initial incident during the NCAA playoff round was well documented on the hockeys future site after Paukovich was drafted, and Oiler management was aware of the potential upcoming conflict. The fact that Greene was not warned away from confronting Paukovich tells you a little about old-school hockey guys view this kind of payback.

I am a little conflicted on this issue, because on one hand I applaud guys sticking up for their teammates and playing tough, but on the other I wonder what the fallout would have been if Paukovich had been seriously hurt. Paukovich obviously knows the hockey tough guy code, and took his punishment and shook hands with Greene after.

Posted by: oil4blood on Friday, September 07 5:48 PM

I got to tell this story in class the other day, I felt so smart :D

My Criminology professor said it was a great story about retribution, and asked if anyone knew the story. I was apparently the only one who knew about it!

That isn't Wendy Hume is it?

Nope, some guy, is it bad that I forgot his name?? :sad:

My Criminology professor was Ron McCarthy and I swear I couldn't stay awake in his class, everytime the videos came on I was out like a light. I got a lot of sleep in his class, hence the B.

My Criminology professor was Ron McCarthy and I swear I couldn't stay awake in his class, everytime the videos came on I was out like a light. I got a lot of sleep in his class, hence the B.

OMG.....I could never make it past the first hour of his class. I'm yawning now thinking about it. I never stayed for the videos and most of the final was questions about his videos......I had an A and finished with a B too.

:sad:

OMG.....I could never make it past the first hour of his class. I'm yawning now thinking about it. I never stayed for the videos and most of the final was questions about his videos......I had an A and finished with a B too.

:sad:

My Buddy was his TA in Graduate School, I was just happy not to have that assignment. I would have caught up on my sleep though...