SiouxSports.com Forum

Great Matt Greene Story

The Walrus

Since nobody answered me the first time I'll ask once again...

I guess it all boils down to accepting the fact that there are both agitators and goons in the NHL. I personally respect the agitators but not the goons. Can we leave it at that?

I think your opinion is probably the opposite from the most of us. In my opinion I have more respect and believe that goon's like the Boogey man have more honor than some puke like _______________(insert the person), I would put someone like Ulfie in there.

I consider pest to skirt the code and do a lot of things that I considered to be questionable.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now... I'm NOT asking anybody to agree with me. I'm asking people to accept the fact that I feel that way and leave it at that. So, AGAIN... You like the goons but not the agitators, I like the agitators but not the goons. Can we leave it at that? I'm sick and tired of being told my opinion is wrong.

I can accept the argument that you like agitators and other like "Goons". No problem there, I can not, however, accept your opinion that Ulfie Sammuelson was not a dirty player, and that his hit on Cam Neely was part of the game, that in my opinion is morally just flat out wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong. That was a dirty hit ended the career of a beloved and all-pro hockey player, if you are somewhat confused I suggest you go out and talk with the Boston Bruins faithfull. Cam Neely was a honest player that had his career cut short by a dirty guttless selfish puke. If you think I am in the Minority opinion your flat out wrong.

Since nobody answered me the first time I'll ask once again...

I guess it all boils down to accepting the fact that there are both agitators and goons in the NHL. I personally respect the agitators but not the goons. Can we leave it at that?

What's really odd is that your sticking up for the cheap dirty players that are out there trying (and succeeding) to injure other players. How anyone can be against fighting but sticking up for that behavior is puzzling.

What's really odd is that your sticking up for the cheap dirty players that are out there trying (and succeeding) to injure other players. How anyone can be against fighting but sticking up for that behavior is puzzling.

Actually, Ulfie got his when he played for New York when he was sucked by Ty Domi in front of the New York net.

So Dave K likes the dirty players/agitators who would be just as happy to take out an opponents star player as contribute to their teams scoring. He doesn't like the players who give these same dirty players/agitators the attitude adjustment (knuckle sandwiches) they deserve. My conclusion is that Dave must be a closet Gopher fan.

Can't just leave it at that, eh? I'm sorry that you and others think of good hard physical play as "dirty". Perhaps if you don't like that style of play you'd be better off watching figure skating. Sound familiar?

PS - Dick Butkus was thought of by many as a dirty football player, so at least Ulfie is in good companay.

is there a better sports name out there?? dont think so!

Can't just leave it at that, eh? I'm sorry that you and others think of good hard physical play as "dirty". Perhaps if you don't like that style of play you'd be better off watching figure skating. Sound familiar?

PS - Dick Butkus was thought of by many as a dirty football player, so at least Ulfie is in good companay.

There's hard and there's dirty. I like the hard but deplore the dirty. You apparently are unable to differentiate the two.

Leave Butkus outta this!!!! He was THE best linebacker in NFL and college football and needn't be dragged into 'the dirty player' controversy!! Clean, hard, legal hits do not constitute 'dirty player'!

Geeze Louise!!!!!!

I'm not so full of myself as to suggest that my opinion is absolutely right and people whose opinions are the opposite of mine are absolutely wrong.

That's funny Dave, because you sure sounded full of yourself on post #81 where you said:

I guess maybe I'm just more evolved and civilized than those who feel otherwise and that's why I can't reach them no matter how eloquently I state it.

That's actually a pretty good comeback and I have to give you credit for quick thinking, but it's really beside the point. The fact of the matter is that what we're discussing here is not a matter of absolute right or wrong but rather a difference in philosophies.

You bring up the analogy, the analogy is shown to be incorrect, and now it is beside the point?? Tell me Dave, where do you draw the line? When Dave Forbes speared Henry Boucha, is that "part of the game" according to your "philosophy"? How about when a player uses his stick as a weapon and hits another player over the head? If you say yes, you have lost whatever thin amount of credibility that you had. If you acknowledge that it is a "dirty" play, how can you differentiate that from a knee to knee contact?? Anyone with any common sense would say that you cannot, because both are intended to injure and frequently end careers.

You are from Fargo, and there are plenty of current and former college and NHL players in the area. I challenge you to find one of them that agrees with your "philosophy" that knee-to-knee hits are part of the game and are not dirty plays.

Whether I agree with your position on fighting, I respect your opinion and agree that it is a philosophy. Your position on Ulf and knee to knee contacts, however, is incredible and not rational. You can argue that it was not intentional, but that is like arguing that Forbe's action was unintentional. Anyone who knows the game knows that Ulf deliberately stuck out his knee on many occasions. The only issue is whether that is "dirty" or not, and you are dead wrong on that issue. That is not a "philosophical" difference.

There's hard and there's dirty. I like the hard but deplore the dirty. You apparently are unable to differentiate the two.

Ulfie was dirty, not hard nosed. There was a reason there are clips on You Tube of Ulfie getting sucked and pounded, in the NHL players don't to that to respected hard nosed players. They do that to gutless pukes like Ulfie.

However, if you're using your own body and not a stick to dish out the punishment... That is where I differentiate between the two.

Right because it's so much better to ram a guy head first into the boards as hard as you can. That's OK in Daveyland. So is initiating knee to knee contact where your knee is in a strong position and the other guys is in a weak position (resulting in a career ending injury).

Some dirty plays are not really dirty to the more evolved and civilized I guess.

I think the Forbes/Boucha incident was disgusting, as was Marty McSorely using his stick as a weapon. There's no place in the game for that kind of garbage. However, if you're using your own body and not a stick to dish out the punishment... That is where I differentiate between the two. Ulf put his own body on the line to make plays, and Penguin fans loved him for it. I think the guy who claimed a couple of pages back that Ulf couldn't have hurt himself is out of touch with logic and common sense to make such a statement. If two knees collide there is a chance that either one or the other (or both) could be injured. It's a physical game, people need to realize that. There are going to be collisions between bodies when players attempt to make a play, and sometimes guys are going to get hurt. In a perfect world nobody would ever get hurt, but that's a fairy tale.

Okay. I tried to give you the benefit of the doubt and a way out, but you have demonstrated over and over that you know nothing about hockey. Happy is rational compared to you. Have a good day.

I believe that players should be penalized, fined, and suspeded (but not beat up) when they ram somebody head first into the boards. As for knee to knee contact... They're both on skates for crying out loud, which puts both knees in a weak position. Please find me a physics expert who will vouch for this ridiculous theory about how one knee is in a stronger position than the other. The fact of the matter is that Ulf put his own knee on the line when he made that play. He was lucky not to hurt himself, but great players put their bodies on the line for the greater good of the team.

Here's the deal, if your knee is bent and set for collision it's in a much stronger position than someone who's not expecting the collision (you know actually making a hockey play rather than trying to injure someone).