SiouxSports.com Forum

Great Matt Greene Story

The Walrus

You are entitled to your opinion and I respect the fact that you have strong views regarding that opinion. However, when you express that opinion on a message board in a manner that is clearly intended to be contrary to others' opinions, you open yourself up to others criticizing that opinion. That is the way the world works--you cannot have it both ways. If you do not want others to jump on your back, then don't express an opinion. Yours is not the only opinion on the subject, and is akin to taking a position on abortion or the death penalty and then asking others not to criticize that opinion.

Maybe he thinks once he states his opinion everyone elses is frozen out?

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just because most of us think that this was an ok thing for Matt to do does NOT mean that we "crave violence." Don't assume that! We just think that it was one of the best ways to get even, with both sides agreeing to fight.

Agreed, I don't agree that violence is the only option, but to be fair, Matt told him that the day of reckoning would come and he asked if he was ready for it. PUNKY had the option of saying no and he didn't. At the same time, Robbie is Matt's friend and Matt probably wanted to do it in 2005, but held off. This was Matt's way of saying you mess with my friend and I will get you back, maybe not right away but he will.

Thanks for the smiley, Fetch.

I am strongly opposed to this "un-written code" that you speak of. I get it, but I don't like it. I love the game of hockey, but hate the "un-written code". I'm entitled to my opinion, no? If somebody beat the crap out of me I sure as hell wouldn't go out for dinner with him, that's for damn sure. But then again I would have refused to fight him. Fighting is neanderthalish behavior in my opinion. Again, I'm entitled to my opinion so please get off my back Goon and anybody else who craves violence.

Look Dave I am not sure why you started a pre-emptive strike on me, I just got out of bed to see your snide quip, but hey if you want to have your flawed opinion of fighting in hockey so be it.

Agreed, I don't agree that violence is the only option, but to be fair, Matt told him that the day of reckoning would come and he asked if he was ready for it. PUNKY had the option of saying no and he didn't. At the same time, Robbie is Matt's friend and Matt probably wanted to do it in 2005, but held off. This was Matt's way of saying you mess with my friend and I will get you back, maybe not right away but he will.

Thanks for the smiley, Fetch.

I am just happy that Punkobitch finally got what was coming to him.

Look Dave I am not sure why you started a pre-emptive strike on me, I just got out of bed to see your snide quip, but hey if you want to have your flawed opinion of fighting in hockey so be it.

This is, for the most part, Dave in one corner, everyone else in the other. That in itself is an unfair fight. Way to go, Matt G.

This is, for the most part, Dave in one corner, everyone else in the other. That in itself is an unfair fight. Way to go, Matt G.

Although I don't condone fighting in hockey, I don't have a problem with this outcome. Both players knew what was going to happen and both chose to participate. They did it during practice, not during a game.

LOL, Sprig, I got dragged into it, I WAS SITTING ON THE SIDE LINES. Minding my own business

I was actually sleeping from working over nights. Woke up, read that, and like said "oh no he didn't"...

Yes, he did...

LOL, Sprig, I got dragged into it, I WAS SITTING ON THE SIDE LINES. Minding my own business

I was actually sleeping from working over nights. Woke up, read that, and like said "oh no he didn't"...

Yes, he did...

I think you and Dave are going to have to drop the gloves now. I hope you can shake hands with eachother when it's all over.

Do you honestly believe that Paukovich wanted to break Robbie's neck? C'mon!!! I don't know the guy but I would like to believe that there aren't any players who wish to do something so catastrophic to a fellow athlete. I believe that his style of play (which changed drastically after that hit, I might add) was careless, reckless, and dangerous. But I don't for one minute believe that he wasn't devastated by the severity of Robbie's injury.

Check the record. He charged Bina with his back turned to him for the entire time. He knew that there was a delayed penalty (Adam was in his line of vision which would mean no hit was necessary as the play would stop as soon as Bina touched the puck). Bina was not moving and was standing that dangerous distance from the boards during the entire time that Paukovich was building up his charge. (30 feet?)

Paukovich not only hit him with a ton of speed but he crouched before and extended (during) the hit in order to create the most possible force into him.

Now I can't look into his head but I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that any hockey player knew that that hit with the opposing player in that position would very likely go head first into the boards with a large degree of force.

Any informed look at the video will confirm those facts.

Do you honestly believe that Paukovich wanted to break Robbie's neck? C'mon!!! I don't know the guy but I would like to believe that there aren't any players who wish to do something so catastrophic to a fellow athlete. I believe that his style of play (which changed drastically after that hit, I might add) was careless, reckless, and dangerous. But I don't for one minute believe that he wasn't devastated by the severity of Robbie's injury.

dave- the wreckless and dangerous play you sepeak of is the reason for the fighting. it keeps careless and reckless play out of the game becuase if a player does carry himself in that manner on the ice, the enforcer from the other team will end it quick. guys need to be accountable for their actions becuase as we've seen it can end up with a player getting his neck broke. Job well done, Matt Greene.

Check the record. He charged Bina with his back turned to him for the entire time. He knew that there was a delayed penalty (Adam was in his line of vision which would mean no hit was necessary as the play would stop as soon as Bina touched the puck). Bina was not moving and was standing that dangerous distance from the boards during the entire time that Paukovich was building up his charge. (30 feet?)

Paukovich not only hit him with a ton of speed but he crouched before and extended (during) the hit in order to create the most possible force into him.

Now I can't look into his head but I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that any hockey player knew that that hit with the opposing player in that position would very likely go head first into the boards with a large degree of force.

Any informed look at the video will confirm those facts.

It was a brutal, cheap, late hit. That is all that can be said, it cannot be defended in any manner. I was just as pissed at the puke Gwozdecky who sat the pukeovich a few shifts and then stuck him in when DU was going on a power play to see if someone was going to give him his ass-kicking then and put DU up 5 on 3. That was classless, but not surprising.

Pre-emptive strike is exactly what I thought of it as, knowing the predictable response you'd come up with after reading my post. I know you think it's a good idea to let the inmates run the asylum. You think I have a flawed opinion of fighting in hockey and I think yours is flawed. We're both over the top in how passionate we are about that particular issue, just that we're on opposite sides of the fence. I think it's disgusting and classless, and I think what you condone only encourages more senseless violence like what Todd Bertuzzi did to Steve Moore. If the NHL had a no-tolerance policy on this nonsense perhaps Steve Moore might still have a career. If vigilantism is such a great idea why don't we handle all of problems in society that way too. Get rid of all the police and let everybody take the law into their own hands. :angry:

I would blame the NHL for not suspending Moore for the cheap shot he threw on Marcus Naslund that led to Bertuzzi getting even with Moore. If they would have suspended Moore for a game or two then in my opinion there would have been no reason for Bertuzzi for going after Moore.

It's really the same thing the leagues not doing their jobs protecting the players.

But you're missing the point. It isn't the players' job to enforce anything, that duty belongs to the refs. Ya know... those guys in the black and white striped shirts. Now let's say the refs miss something and a player gets away with a cheap shot, according to the fight-mongers among us that entitles a player to take matters into his own hands. What if society worked that way? Let's say you get cut off in traffic by some guy driving carelessly and he causes you to drive off the side of the road and crash into a telephone pole. Now let's say you can't prove the accident was that other guy's fault and the courts/cops can't do anything for you... does that give you the right to go to that guy's house and challenge him to go settle it with your fists in the front yard? That's caveman mentality.

I think your problem is with the officials that A) Saw the hit live and B) Had good video to judge it. The fact is in sports that if you let the guy get away with it he'll keep doing more. (Which in fact is what led up to Bina getting hurt, poor officiating in the game up to then.)

I'm fine with the officials taking care of it but you should be upset with them.

So to answer your example you've got a point, but if the guy keeps running you off the road sooner or later you're going to have to stick up for yourself.

Do you honestly believe that a drunk driver intends to kill innocent people? C'mon results of actions matter as much as the intent. Punk got his.

Do you honestly believe that a drunk driver intends to kill innocent people? C'mon results of actions matter as much as the intent. Punk got his.

Exactly, the drunk driver does know or should know that driving when he's had 30 beers very likely could cause an injury or death to someone else.

That book is a joke. It attempts to rationalize the concept of vigilantism and letting the inmates run the asylum. Everything in that book can be refuted by the simple concept that the refs (not the players) are the people responsible for policing the game.

And you should just sit back and take the cheap shots when the refs won't call them.

What's the punishment when a drunk driver causes an accident and somebody dies as a result? Does he serve time in jail or do the friends and family of the victim get to challenge him to a fistfight?

Ya got a point there DaveK. They should have thrown Punkobitch's a$$ in prison for that hit!! :angry:

You know as well as I do that nobody gets away with it all the time. If they keep doing it they're going to be spending some time in the box. Even if they were to do it 10 times in a game and only get caught half the time, that's still 5 penalties. That's 10 minutes of 5 on 4, take advantage of it and make them pay for it that way rather than vigilante style.

Nice you got several players injured but you had a few power plays.

I've never seen a player seriously injured in a college hockey fight. I have seen a player get his neck broken by bad officiating losing control of the game leading up to that hit (and not calling the hit according to the rules).