SiouxSports.com Forum

Great Matt Greene Story

The Walrus

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In hockey it's called a suspension, which I believe he served although it wasn't as long as it should have been. Regardless, he was given a punishment and he served it. Greene beating him for it now would be like if you robbed a liquor store and did your time in jail... and then after you got out the owner of the liquor store beat you up.

I do not intend to come across as being sympathetic to Paukovich. On the contrary, he was just as guilty for accepting the fight as Greene was for challenging it. The entire concept is just immature and senseless.

A slap on the wrist which didn't send a message that you don't go around throwing cheap shots that will likely break someone's neck.

Your buddy Paukovich didn't suffer a broken neck or much of anything in this fight. You're acting as if someone were out to hurt him worse than he hurt Bina.

Do you honestly believe that Paukovich wanted to break Robbie's neck? C'mon!!! I don't know the guy but I would like to believe that there aren't any players who wish to do something so catastrophic to a fellow athlete. I believe that his style of play (which changed drastically after that hit, I might add) was careless, reckless, and dangerous. But I don't for one minute believe that he wasn't devastated by the severity of Robbie's injury.

The Hit on Robbie Bina was right across the ice from my seat in the club level, I saw the whole incident as it unfolded, and it was by far one of the dirtiest plays that I have ever seen in all of my days of watching college hockey. I have witnessed a few incidents like this in the NHL but not in the college game. The fact the Don Adam only called a two minute penalty should have been the end of that refs career as an on the ice official. Also if you watched the film of the hit you will see Pauko smirking in the box.

The fact that it took so long for a wrong to be righted is puzzling to me, Paukovich should have been challenged the minute he stepped out of the penalty box at the final five. I look at Paukovich as being just as bad as Todd Bertuzzi, Ulfie Sammuelson or a Claude Lemieux. They are disgusting players and all will get or got what was coming to them. Live by the sword and die by the sword.

What I do care about is the great game of hockey being marred by this "unwritten code".

Right the game isn't being marred by horrible officiating, a gutless front office and dirty players. It is marred by teammates standing up for eachother.

I got it now.

/massive sarcasm

My point is that given an officiating system that gives a damn about the game you wouldn't need fighting.

"I do not intend to come across as being sympathetic to Paukovich. On the contrary, he was just as guilty for accepting the fight as Greene was for challenging it. The entire concept is just immature and senseless."

I do NOT consider Paukovich to be my buddy and I don't care that he got beat up. What I do care about is the great game of hockey being marred by this "unwritten code".

I don't know if I would consider it to be immature. For ages, people have said to men who have disputes, "Settle it like men" meaning to fight it out. I still think this is the mindset of a lot of guys who don't seem to go to college. Don't mean to be disrespectful to those who don't attend college, and I'm not saying it's the mindset of everyone who doesn't attend college. However, I have a lot of friends with different education levels and I would say a large majority of my friends with a high school education would choose to settle disputes in this manner. People who do attend college seem to learn somewhere in that timeframe that the mind is a wonderful thing and it should be used to solve as many disputes as possible. It's the solution to many problems. Fighting could be considered immature to a certain extent, as once men reach the age of 35 or 40, they tend to shy away from fighting as much as they would have when in their 20's.

I think Paukovich knew he needed to do this to earn a certain amount of respect with his teammates. He knew Greene was on the team, and they both knew there was history. The same thing happened last year after the rookie Florida Panthers defenseman had a late hit on Parise. To earn the respect of the Devils and his own teammates, he squared off with a fighter later on in the game. He went down quick and was out of the game, but hat's off to him for standing up when he knew he was in the wronog. I don't think he meant to do it, but couldn't change it after it happened. I don't know if Paukovich knew it or not. He was in his freshman seasons in the WCHA Final Five. Could have been intentional...could have been adrenaline. Only Paukovich knows the actual truth. He may have been in the line of sight of the referee, holding up his arm, but I can't say honestly that he definitely saw it. As Sioux fans, are outlook on the incident are definitely skewed to Robbie's favor. Paukovich knew what he did was wrong, and he tried to contact Robbie afterwards to talk to him. I'm sure it was definitely difficult for him to deal with.

Whatever your opinion on fighting on the NHL is, the current standard is to follow the unwritten code. You may or may not like the code, everyone is entitled to their opinion. However, at this time in the NHL, it is a respected code. Me personally, I like it. That obviously differs from Dave's opinion. I respect his opinion. I know if someone tried to engage me in a fight, I would try to solve things verbally before ever letting it become physical. I'm not a fan of a hockey game that is completely filled with fights. I like some flow to the game. However, I do like the idea of players policing the game, as well as referee's, but that's just my personal opinion.

Only Paukovich knows the actual truth. He may have been in the line of sight of the referee, holding up his arm, but I can't say honestly that he definitely saw it.

Great post but I do have to take issue with this. Whether or not he knew it was a a delayed penalty doesn't matter that much. Without knowing that the whistle was going to blow it was still an inexcusable hit.

Any hockey player knows a hit like that is very likely to injure so cutting him any slack is wrong as is the idea that he was sorry after he broke Bina's neck. So what, he hit him dirty on purpose.

A. The wrong was not righted. Matt Greene beating up Paukovich does not go back and erase from history Robbie Bina's injury. Now all we have is two wrongs.

B. I'm a hardcore Pittsburgh Penguins fan and take great offense at your lumping a great player like Ulfie with a couple of thugs like Todd Bertuzzi and Claude Lemieux. Ulfie was the man in the Steel City during the glory years of the early '90s.

Ulfie Sammuelson is a piece of crap ($#!T) he ruined the career of an former Boston Bruins Great Cam Neely by an illegal leg check. When challenged on that play from Cam Neely he also turtled, so that makes him a gutless puke as well...

So yes in my opinion that puts Ulfie in the same category as the for mentioned people if you think I am wrong ask other Bruins fans. DaveK I believe your a little thin skinned and you need to accept that there are going to be people with differing opinions, your not going to change our opinions of fighting and if it belongs in hockey. A majority of Hockey fans do believe it. While I find our opinion on the CODE to be flawed it is your right to have it. You however, need to back off a bit of the people that respect the code and it usefulness to the game. Remember you were the one that dragged me into this debate. I wan't even on line while you were making your petty quips and firing a shot across my bow...

Sorry Dave. Bruins/Cam Neely fans will never like Ulfie. The hit he put on Neely led to me not liking the Penguins to totally despising them. :angry:

Thank you for making my point. Ulfie was a disgrace to the game of hockey. I did like that fact that Neely was able to right a wrong against Claude th Fraude before his career was over.

Dave - Being a teammate means much more to the members of that team than the point you wish to make. The hockey fraternity isn't that big. Matt did what was expected of him as a "teammate." Nothing more, nothing less. To the members of that team, it is now over.

Great hit, not dirty at all. Very unfortunate that Cam's knee got messed up so badly, but Ulfie wasn't trying to hurt him. He was merely trying to make a play. If you want to see footage of a hockey player deliberately trying to injure somebody, look up Derek Boogard and you're sure to find footage of him rearranging somebody's face.

i would say sometimes 2 minutes in a penalty box isnt gona stop a player from taking a cheap shot or hit from behind again and again or even 5 minutes for that. if they have to learn a lesson so the he thinks twice before taking a cheap shot again the im all for it. greene didnt do anything cheap, pauk did and pauk knew it was coming, he took his beating like he should have because he always hid behind refs during college games, case closed, over....GO SIOUX

But according to that logic the biggest and strongest guy in the league would have a free pass to cheap-shot anybody and everybody based on the fact that there isn't anybody on another team capable of beating him up. How do the fight-mongers spin that scenario?

first off im not a "fight monger" as you call it and are calling many :angry: i dont watch hockey games at the nhl level for fighting, thats what the echl and below are for if you really want to get into it. its actually not even close to being a big part of the game as it used to be. you dont like fights dave, thats your opinion and i resepct that, others like fights and thats thier opinion and im cool with that as well, i dont need fights but if they happen they happen so you can drop me as one of your fight mongers list:lol: ;)

I'm glad to hear that, but as somebody who at least theorizes about how the "unwritten code" is supposed to work I was wondering if you would have a theory as to how the scenario that I threw out there would be handled. If the guy doing all the cheap-shotting happens to be the biggest and strongest guy on the ice, who is going to make him pay for it? I would be interested in hearing anybody's possible solution to this hypothetical situation. I say the "unwritten code" is ineffective solely based on the fact that the scenario I came up with is possible.

that guy would probably be out of the league if he did it all the time, it doesnt happen every single night. hell, the other team can choose whats gona happen, if they throw a tougher guy out to fight or not. i havent seen this problem in the nhl so i dont buy it, its a what if scenerio for sure and a extreme as i havent seen this be a problem lately. the pauk situation wasnt a what if and thats what this thread is about to begin with.

Great hit, not dirty at all. Very unfortunate that Cam's knee got messed up so badly, but Ulfie wasn't trying to hurt him. He was merely trying to make a play. If you want to see footage of a hockey player deliberately trying to injure somebody, look up Derek Boogard and you're sure to find footage of him rearranging somebody's face.

a. not a dirty hit? why did he take him low rather than up high as to not "sweep the leg?" that's a dirty hit. the guy has played hockey all his life... don't you think he could've taken a different route?

b. boogard trying to injure somebody...? it's either him or the other guy that gets hurt. if you watched any hockey last year you'd notice that he didn't start 98% of the fights he was in.

c. finally, many times you state that the "code" is stupid and doesn't serve a real purpose in the game..? how could all those Canadians be wrong? :angry:

a. not a dirty hit? why did he take him low rather than up high as to not "sweep the leg?" that's a dirty hit. the guy has played hockey all his life... don't you think he could've taken a different route?

b. boogard trying to injure somebody...? it's either him or the other guy that gets hurt. if you watched any hockey last year you'd notice that he didn't start 98% of the fights he was in.

c. finally, many times you state that the "code" is stupid and doesn't serve a real purpose in the game..? how could all those Canadians be wrong? :angry:

Not a dirty hit, utter Bravo Sierra. Watch the hit, it was an ulfie trade mark. Hence a dirty player...

Boogard doesn't start fights he ends them... ;)

Don Cherry on Ulfie the Punk

Basically if you listen to Cherry and how he explain good ole Ulfie it could be the same way we feel about Punkovich.

Ulfie gets hit

Okay, I'll use one last angle here in an attempt to make people see the light. My kids play hockey and I understand the bond between teammates. Even when they're as young as the Squirt level the bond is there and very apparent to anybody who spends any amount of time around the team throughout the course of the season. If one of my boys went up to an opposing player and got in a little push/shove with some words exchanged in the spirit of sticking up for a teammate I would be very proud.

Ah yes, College Hockey and the NHL is a substitute for a good father.

If you have a problem with what's happening in squirt hockey then you should be talking to the head of the league, not blaming it on what happens in college hockey and pro hockey.

By the way, there are things that are illegal in squirt hockey (like checking) that are legal in College and the NHL. We better not let the boys watch that because there's no room for parenting or coaching.