SiouxSports.com Forum

Where will the chips fall?

AZSIOUX

There is NO question the Gophers playing at the X is home game for them.

However, the ONLY purpose of the WCHA FF is to generate money for the WCHA, it really does not serve any other purpose. No team has EVER made or missed the NCAA tourney based on what happened that week-end. It HAS flipped a seeding a couple of times, but that's it. It's 100% completely about the green, and the few time that they tried playing the FF to Milwaukee, the results weren't very good......even the Badger games weren't close to being sold out.

Ditto - the tourny only exists to make money - in the old days they just continued the 2 game playoffs series at the high seed.

Also - it is good for us the Gophs play Fri night / shorter turn around for them for the Sat game.

It is the best college tournament in the country, at one of the best arenas in the world. Keep it there.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you think about it, having the Gophers play the night game every year is a win-win situation for UND. For instance, when we win the league this year we'll get to play the play-in winner on Friday afternoon after a short turn around, and then we'll get additional rest for Saturday's championship.

Now, on to other things. I think they need Oshie to center the top line and then find a wing to play with he and Duncan. Osh is great at both ends, and he has shown a knack for winning draws. What more do you want from that position? Does anyone else feel this might happen?

I also think Oshie is a natural center and maybe Malone will be the other wing on that line. Malone would bring some size and maybe cause some havoc in front of the net.

malone will be another VV. hes a big kid that needs to develop. im thinking kozek or miller...maybe forney. im really excited to see forney play this year.

If you think about it, having the Gophers play the night game every year is a win-win situation for UND. For instance, when we win the league this year we'll get to play the play-in winner on Friday afternoon after a short turn around, and then we'll get additional rest for Saturday's championship.

Now, on to other things. I think they need Oshie to center the top line and then find a wing to play with he and Duncan. Osh is great at both ends, and he has shown a knack for winning draws. What more do you want from that position? Does anyone else feel this might happen?

Vandy should be the other wing. He wins a lot of draws too. He's also is a physical presence, good in the corners on the forecheck and has good hands. He one of those guys that needs to have a big year for the Sioux to do well.

Vandy should be the other wing. He wins a lot of draws too. He's also is a physical presence, good in the corners on the forecheck and has good hands. He one of those guys that needs to have a big year for the Sioux to do well.

I agree I've been saying all along that Oshie should center the first line with Duncs and someone else (maybe Forney gets a shot to start since Hak said he wants him to be a top two line guy) and then have VandeVelde soldify the second line by centering it with Watkins on his wing. I just think that with Osh and Vande each centering a line it gives the forward lines that much more depth.

I'd like to see the Final 5 at the Ralph once - But I have to admidt I really like the Excell Center & going to the twin Cities that weekend - It is the WCHA at it's Best - I even have the parking thing all figured out - wonder how one less bridge will affect things down there ?

Will Hakstol be looking to fill Toews' skates with someone who is as defensively capable as he was, or does he get a headache like me after he fills out "Depth Chart, Line 1: Duncan, Oshie, and...:D" and quits? it's a lot of talent to sort through, and finding the identity of this team will be a chore. A good chore :sad:

Will Hakstol be looking to fill Toews' skates with someone who is as defensively capable as he was, or does he get a headache like me after he fills out "Depth Chart, Line 1: Duncan, Oshie, and...:D" and quits? it's a lot of talent to sort through, and finding the identity of this team will be a chore. A good chore :sad:

we will have to wait and see who steps up this season. kozek,watkins and miller will be a interesting trio to watch and i think frattin and and lapoint will be big producers as freshman!!

Sorry, but putting VV on the wing would be a tremendous waste. VV was the 2nd or 3rd most reliable faceoff guy (only Toews and perhaps Oshie were more reliable) last season.

I have no problem with Oshie centering the first line, but surely VV would then center the 2nd line.

I dunno....

Forney-Oshie-Duncan

Trupp-VV-Watkins/Frattin

Zajac-Kaip-Kozek

Malone-Radke-Frattin/?

Who knows what the combos will be. I don't know who will center the 4th line at all. Trupp may end up on the first line, but I'd rather team up speed with size. VV provides size to that line like Forney does to the first line.

I think if we have two lines with two fast and small players like Trupp and Duncan, we'd be more dangerous than if we put both Trupp and Duncan on the same line.

I'd also expect Kozek to flirt with a scoring line next season at some point. I think the guy can play offensively.

i think frattin, trupp and forney will have a shot on line #1, with forney its like having another freshman if hes healthy so thats fine. i can see frattin being on that line as well wit vande centering line 2

Forney-Oshie-Duncan

Trupp-VV-Watkins/Frattin

Zajac-Kaip-Kozek

Malone-Radke-Frattin/?

Who knows what the combos will be. I don't know who will center the 4th line at all. Trupp may end up on the first line, but I'd rather team up speed with size. VV provides size to that line like Forney does to the first line.

I like these combos! It's really hard to tell who can fill the first line, but I totally agree with VV being another center. Having good faceoff men is extremely important, so it's foolish to put two on one line unless you have a glut. I like the 3rd line you have especially, and think that might stick.

Sorry, but putting VV on the wing would be a tremendous waste. VV was the 2nd or 3rd most reliable faceoff guy (only Toews and perhaps Oshie were more reliable) last season.

I have no problem with Oshie centering the first line, but surely VV would then center the 2nd line.

I dunno....

Forney-Oshie-Duncan

Trupp-VV-Watkins/Frattin

Zajac-Kaip-Kozek

Malone-Radke-Frattin/?

I think if we have two lines with two fast and small players like Trupp and Duncan, we'd be more dangerous than if we put both Trupp and Duncan on the same line.

I'd also expect Kozek to flirt with a scoring line next season at some point. I think the guy can play offensively.

I like those combos other than I think Miller will be a regular in this lineup and I'm not big on Radke at all. I think there are a few nice things he brings to the table such as energy, toughness and experience but I would much rather have Miller, Frattin be in there.

I dunno....

Forney-Oshie-Duncan

Trupp-VV-Watkins/Frattin

Zajac-Kaip-Kozek

Malone-Radke-Frattin/?

he will get a crack if he shows it

Forney-Oshie-Duncan

Trupp-VV-Watkins/Frattin

Zajac-Kaip-Kozek

Malone-Radke-Frattin/?

I just don't see Frattin or Malone on a fourth line, not by the end of the season.

I also think Radke is going to be an after thought. I would probably

think it might be more realistic to assume these combinations. I think when it comes down to it Kaip might be hard pressed to play every day as well.

Just a hunch...

Zajac-Frattin-Malone

Kaip-Kozek-Miller

I think it's funny when fans try to project where incoming freshmen players will end up on the line combinations, especially when you consider that the vast majority haven't seen any of these players play before. :sad:

thats what the summer downtime and message boards are for :D we are all d-1 top notch coaches, duhh, thats easy to see isnt it :D

I'd like to see the Final 5 at the Ralph once - But I have to admidt I really like the Excell Center & going to the twin Cities that weekend - It is the WCHA at it's Best - I even have the parking thing all figured out - wonder how one less bridge will affect things down there ?

Here is my take on the Final 5 @ the X--Does it favor the Gophers??--yeah I think soooo. Only because of the 19k in attendance about 14K of them are Gopher fans. I do think in most sports having the crowd behind you does provide a "home field advantage".

Try this on for size--What if the Final 5 were to be held in Denver or Chicago??? Both locales have everything St. Paul has and you truly have a neutral site tournament.

Here is my take on the Final 5 @ the X--Does it favor the Gophers??--yeah I think soooo. Only because of the 19k in attendance about 14K of them are Gopher fans. I do think in most sports having the crowd behind you does provide a "home field advantage".

Try this on for size--What if the Final 5 were to be held in Denver or Chicago??? Both locales have everything St. Paul has and you truly have a neutral site tournament.

its in a perfect setting for college hockey, it wouldnt sell out elsewhere technically not at a home arnea, there is no problem with it at the X, ridiculous if anyone complains. the top see should get the early game to rest up more for the sat night game if they win, it doesnt happen that way due to the gophers when they are in it, oh friken well, sh$% happens. i think its the best party/hockey tourney in the nation, yes better than the frozen 4, it doesnt mean its more important obviously ut st paul is a great time!