SiouxSports.com Forum

2007 Football Season

UND Fan

A nice article in today's Herald about Dressler.

UND FOOTBALL: SUDDEN IMPACT!

Supposedly the coaching staff is considering playing as many as 6 or 7 true freshmen this year. I suppose there could be a few different reasons for doing so:

1) These freshmen are just so talented that they deserve to be on the field this year. (I hope this is the case.)

2) There are areas where we are weaker than the coaching staff would like and the freshmen could provide some help. (I hope this not the case!)

3) With this being the last season we will be competing for a national champonship for a few years, Dale wants to have his very best chance of winning this year so that may mean playing some freshmen.

Does anyone have any info as to who these players may be? Anyone been watching fall camp at all? Who has looked good among all payers?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) These freshmen are just so talented that they deserve to be on the field this year. (I hope this is the case.)

2) There are areas where we are weaker than the coaching staff would like and the freshmen could provide some help. (I hope this not the case!)

3) With this being the last season we will be competing for a national champonship for a few years, Dale wants to have his very best chance of winning this year so that may mean playing some freshmen.

While all of these might be true, there's other answers:

4) A redshirting freshman would never have an opportunity to be in the playoffs in his career, while a true freshman would only get a chance this year. It really is fairest to the freshman to play them this year.

5) By suspending some redshirting this year, the players work through the system faster, allowing better utilization of scholarships and faster transitioning on the roster to high IAA and low IA-level recruits (not that there aren't already some on the roster.)

While all of these might be true, there's other answers:

4) A redshirting freshman would never have an opportunity to be in the playoffs in his career, while a true freshman would only get a chance this year. It really is fairest to the freshman to play them this year.

5) By suspending some redshirting this year, the players work through the system faster, allowing better utilization of scholarships and faster transitioning on the roster to high IAA and low IA-level recruits (not that there aren't already some on the roster.)

Good points!

As the season approaches, all UND football fans agree that the more people we can put in the Alerus' stands, the better off we are. A full house (or at least a near-full house):

-- helps create more UND fans in general. These folks often become very interested in other/all UND sports and attend other events. Importantly, many become Fighting Sioux Club members whose contributions allow us to be successful.

-- creates a lot of revenue for GF hotels, restaurants, stores, etc. It not only helps the local economy but helps reinforce the importance of UND athletics to the community. This results in these businesses contributing to our athletic department. Obviously, the Alerus receives a great benefit in increased concession sales, etc.

-- will help us in a variety of ways as we make the move to DI.

That being said, I think many of us have been relatively disappointed in attendance. My question:

What can UND and the Alerus do to increase attendance? How can we get more UND students to attend? How do we get more GF area (within 100 miles) grade and HS students to games (with their parents)?

Let's not complain about parking and any other frustrations we may have. What are your positive ideas as to how we can improve attendance? And, let's not get into a pissing match with SU fans about how they give away tickets and stuff like that. Just positive comments about how we can get more fans to UND football games. Your thoughts?

I think we all agree that attendance will increase to some degree as we move to DI and bring in better competition, etc. so we don't need to talk about that.

As the season approaches, all UND football fans agree that the more people we can put in the Alerus' stands, the better off we are. A full house (or at least a near-full house):

helps create more UND fans in general. These folks often become very interested in other/all UND sports and attend other events. Importantly, many become Fighting Sioux Club members whose contributions allow us to be successful.

creates a lot of revenue for GF hotels, restaurants, stores, etc. It not only helps the local economy but helps reinforce the importance of UND athletics to the community. This results in these businesses contributing to our athletic department. Obviously, the Alerus receives a great benefit in increased concession sales, etc.

will help us in a variety of ways as we make the move to DI.

That being said, I think many of us have been relatively disappointed in attendance. My question:

What can UND and the Alerus do to increase attendance? How can we get more UND students to attend? How do we get more GF area (within 100 miles) grade and HS students to games (with their parents)?

Let's not complain about parking and any other frustrations we may have. What are your positive ideas as to how we can improve attendance? And, let's not get into a pissing match with SU fans about how they give away tickets and stuff like that. Just positive comments about how we can get more fans to UND football games. Your thoughts?

I think we all agree that attendance will increase to some degree as we move to DI and bring in better competition, etc. so we don't need to talk about that.

I've shared some of these thoughts before, as have others, but a few things I'd do are:

1. aggressively market to anybody who's currently a hockey season ticketholder but who doesn't also have football season tickets. I just can't believe that there can be thousands of hockey season ticket holders who don't have at least a passing interest in UND football, particularly given that football season tickets aren't all that expensive.

2. night games. I doubt anybody who currently attends would stop attending if games were at night, and it would open up a whole new potential market for people who work Saturdays, not to mention hunters. I suspect concession sales, i.e. beer, would go way up, too.

3. different ticket prices. I see no reason why all tickets (except children and senior citizens) need to be the same price. Discount the end sections on both sides to get them filled, at least for all but the biggest games.

4. more and better marketing in the local media, and start significantly earlier than this year's campaign did.

-- helps create more UND fans in general. These folks often become very interested in other/all UND sports and attend other events. Importantly, many become Fighting Sioux Club members whose contributions allow us to be successful.

-- creates a lot of revenue for GF hotels, restaurants, stores, etc. It not only helps the local economy but helps reinforce the importance of UND athletics to the community. This results in these businesses contributing to our athletic department. Obviously, the Alerus receives a great benefit in increased concession sales, etc.

-- will help us in a variety of ways as we make the move to DI.

Also, a full house would eventually mean more games on TV.

I've shared some of these thoughts before, as have others, but a few things I'd do are:

1. aggressively market to anybody who's currently a hockey season ticketholder but who doesn't also have football season tickets. I just can't believe that there can be thousands of hockey season ticket holders who don't have at least a passing interest in UND football, particularly given that football season tickets aren't all that expensive.

2. night games. I doubt anybody who currently attends would stop attending if games were at night, and it would open up a whole new potential market for people who work Saturdays, not to mention hunters. I suspect concession sales, i.e. beer, would go way up, too.

3. different ticket prices. I see no reason why all tickets (except children and senior citizens) need to be the same price. Discount the end sections on both sides to get them filled, at least for all but the biggest games.

4. more and better marketing in the local media, and start significantly earlier than this year's campaign did.

Those are all excellent ideas. I've long been a proponent of night games. Especially when you have an indoor facility like the Alerus. Aside from providing the opportunity to allow those who work Saturdays to attend, like you said, the potential is their to create a "night club" type atmosphere like at the REA. Fans that have to travel somewhat of a distance to the games may consider it more of an option, too. The 1:00 p.m. kickoff pretty much blows the entire day for those of us that travel an hour and a half or more for the games. And a 6:00 or 7:00 kickoff would not affect tailgating, in fact I think it might actually help it.

Again with the television, televising games is basically 3+ hours of advertising. I know the norm the last few years has been to televise two home games on cable, and that is great. But I think it would be better to pony up and put at least one game a year on WDAZ/WDAY. It would help exposure and get more of those outside of GF interested. I really am not a believer that televising games hurts attendance.

Want more butts in the seats? well, I think getting an accurate attendance count at the games would help. What was explained on SiouxSports in the past, that UND does the official attendance count and UND only has control over the bowl seating spells inaccurate attendance count to me. This issue has been discussed before I know, just my opinion on it.

UND 92,96.............all good points. On items #2 & 4, I agree that it would help attendance to play at night. Games wouldn't have to be at 7 or 7:30 like hockey games, even having them at 5 or 6:00 would help. A lot of people work on Saturdays during the day. As for better marketing, that's one area that could definately use some improvement.

A nice article in today's Herald about Dressler.

UND FOOTBALL: SUDDEN IMPACT!

Supposedly the coaching staff is considering playing as many as 6 or 7 true freshmen this year. I suppose there could be a few different reasons for doing so:

Does anyone have any info as to who these players may be? Anyone been watching fall camp at all? Who has looked good among all payers?

Donovan Alexander is this week's Friday Feature.

A few select comments and quotes:

Alexander said this is one of the most athletic teams he's been a part of.

"The offense has jelled earlier than they have in the past," Alexander said.

"Our defense looks like its same old self," Alexander said.

Alexander, a grizzled veteran that has started the previous two years at corner back, gave a little insight as to the incoming class of freshmen, who may see more playing time than usual this season.

GO SIOUX!

I'm in total agreement. Few things get me riled up quicker than somebody stating that they hope a playoff game is not televised.

On the other hand, many people get riled up because they want the game on TV so they don't have to buy a ticket.

Donovan Alexander is this week's Friday Feature.

A few select comments and quotes:

Especially like this part:

The coaching staff has really asked a lot of them (the freshman)," Alexander said, "and they've responded."

Alexander would know. "When I came to UND, I was pretty raw," Alexander said. "Those guys ... they are great athletes. It should be a fun year."

It's also apparent that most of these freshman are not only athletic, but quality students. Lennon does seem to be raising the bar even higher.

UND Football Roster by Class

It looks like my number 3 suggestion is being addressed somewhat. I heard a radio commercial this morning that said that on any Tuesday preceding a home game this season, you can purchase a UND football ticket for $10. Also, I believe Valley Dairy is running some sort of promotion for a 2-for-1 deal, although I don't know the details on that.

It looks like my number 3 suggestion is being addressed somewhat. I heard a radio commercial this morning that said that on any Tuesday preceding a home game this season, you can purchase a UND football ticket for $10. Also, I believe Valley Dairy is running some sort of promotion for a 2-for-1 deal, although I don't know the details on that.

I can already hear the distant thundering...the next 5 years is going to be painful for some.

A pretty good start to the 2007 season. It is really hard to tell yet if the Sioux are truely that impressive of a team or if Humbolt was just another UM-Crookston. We will get to see on saturday how well they stack up against Mesa State of the RMAC. That will give us a better understanding of our own team.

This thursday we see how some of our competition and conference mates will start off the season. South Dakota opens at West Texas A&M. Minnesota State takes on Northern Iowa. It will be interesting to see how serious UNI takes their DII game this year! St. Cloud takes on Northern State. And Grand Valley opens with St. Josephs. I don't think this game is going to tell us too much about GVSU. It should really be a blow out.

Then on saturday Western Washington will take on our future FCS conference mates UC Davis. Augustana takes on Concordia - St Paul. Duluth takes on Bemidji State. And UN-Omaha will take on pseudo-rival (sudo-rival) UN-Kearney.

I only highlight this because of the constant crap you guys yap about ticket giveaways or ticket prices at Bison games. I asked what a GA ticket cost and someone replied 18.00 but it looks like 10.00 will get your butt into a und game.

I only highlight this because of the constant crap you guys yap about ticket giveaways or ticket prices at Bison games. I asked what a GA ticket cost and someone replied 18.00 but it looks like 10.00 will get your butt into a und game.

That's like $15 more than a Bison game.

I had to run to Fargo this weekend. I filled gas at Stop n' Go. I put on 26 gallons and got 13 NDSU tickets. That really is constant crap!!!! :glare:;):)

I heard that NDSU is up to about 7,000 season tickets sold this year for football. I'd be willing to bet UND doesn't have a game this year where they have 7,000 paid seats in teh stands.

I heard UND is up to 250,000 season tickets this year for football.